PDA

View Full Version : Fighting today

Ray Pina
11-06-2009, 08:03 AM
A local lawyer a couple years younger than me who was "a college wrestling champ" and two of his coastguard friends who want to fight mma have been bugging me to train with them but its never materialized but today at 4 p.m. we're supposed to spar or fight.

Personally, I think they're crazy if they think they can just jump in from 0mph to 100mph. I also think they want to guage themselves off me since I've fought but lost. There's a whole lot of winds behind those losses though and I recon there will be 3 more before the sun goes down.

Dale.

David Jamieson
11-06-2009, 08:13 AM
I predict you will beat the white collar wrestling champ.. :rolleyes: lol

will have a little harder time with the coastguard guys (if they are active duty). But only because they have some conditioning.

Ultimately, and by all rights you should thoroughly tool them all and take their lunch money because you've been in the gym training specifically for fighting. right? You have been training right? :D

It's your aggressiveness that will throw them off first. The 2nd guy and the last guy will learn from it. So, maybe make the lawyer the last one? lol

Put your big rocks in the jar first, then the little ones, then the pebbles, then the sand and then the water. :)

sanjuro_ronin
11-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Have fun dude, don't go in there with a chip just because you THINK they may view you as easy because you lost, go in there humble and looking to learn.

Of course if they **** you off bury those lawyer *******s like the little *****es that they are !!!!
:D

Boston Bagua
11-06-2009, 09:10 AM
have a good time.

do not break them too much...

they can sue you.;)

Ray Pina
11-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Wrestler dude is bigger than me and the coast guard guy is active and its a small town so I'm sure everyone's going to throw their best friendly game. My gagster friend is coming though too with a training partner of his. Both have cage experience. Should be fun.

My hand is busted so I'm going to be smooth, lay back, look for the moment and then overwhelm... that's my game plan at least.

Got to go boil the new mouthpiece. Start time 4:00 p.m. Isabel a PR time.

Ray Pina
11-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Lame.... I should have known better.

What was all "Have a group that wants to fight" in reality was a group of older, out of shape men who wanted to get in shape by doing what they think is fight training because there's a bag and gloves involved.

I excused myself after the run when it became clear not only were these guys not fighting but it would have been wrong for me to encourage it. I have to learn that people know I fight here and though they're eager to impress me with their favorite wrestling move, not to get drawn into the BS.

I'm injured. Enjoy the short time off. These guys could sense the great divide between wrestling and punching someone in the face until they cry uncle.... I showed up after 5 or 6 big bong hits ready to fight and then go surf. Smiles. But pumped.

What was supposed to be sparring and fighting on the phone 30 minutes before became masturbation. Those guys wont gather again and they say where I train is too far.

Typical. That's why they're so fat and weak.

diego
11-07-2009, 07:09 AM

What was all "Have a group that wants to fight" in reality was a group of older, out of shape men who wanted to get in shape by doing what they think is fight training because there's a bag and gloves involved.

I excused myself after the run when it became clear not only were these guys not fighting but it would have been wrong for me to encourage it. I have to learn that people know I fight here and though they're eager to impress me with their favorite wrestling move, not to get drawn into the BS.

I'm injured. Enjoy the short time off. These guys could sense the great divide between wrestling and punching someone in the face until they cry uncle.... I showed up after 5 or 6 big bong hits ready to fight and then go surf. Smiles. But pumped.

What was supposed to be sparring and fighting on the phone 30 minutes before became masturbation. Those guys wont gather again and they say where I train is too far.

but now if you were on everyone elses traditonal MA vibe you would have pulled out the ghetto blaster and started doing the moonwalk which would have gotten the slobs to lift their elbows above their shoulders for more than 40 seconds lol.

maybe if you started rapping and dancing like in the old movies they would have joined in and the energy level would have elevated to chuck norris levels...you'd have them point sparring within a year.

i was going to ask you how you feel you could motivate these types into your program but now I'm just cracking up at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn51pyXf6l4

you gotta watch the end scene when everyone raps like the lmail man the old lady everyone, then they start dancing and sparring. FU^KING HILARIOUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoGLoj1N9XE

Scott R. Brown
11-07-2009, 09:08 AM
You know Ray, you could have encouraged them instead of looking down your nose at them for not living up to your "manly" expectations.

They made the initial effort which is probably a bit difficult for over-weight/out of shape guys. A start is a start, and often there is a delicate line between "starting" and "keep going". A little enthusiasm, encouragement and advice could have helped, even if it only benefited one or two of them.

Good job shooting them down!!! Now you can continue living in your arrogance and sanctimony without interference!

David Jamieson
11-07-2009, 09:09 AM
has mario ever made a movie that wasn't utter shyte from start to finish? lol :p

bawang
11-07-2009, 03:21 PM
did u win?

Ray Pina
11-08-2009, 10:49 AM
You know Ray, you could have encouraged them instead of looking down your nose at them for not living up to your "manly" expectations.

I'm not looking down at them.

Since my last fight, which the wrestler was at, he's been bugging me to train, going so far as to outright say infront of people, though friendly, that he wants to fight me. And that's fine.

I got there and no one wanted to fight. It would be wrong of me to encourage someone ti fight that didn't want to fight and then punch on them. That's not cool.

I offered for all of them to come train BJJ with me. They all said it was too far (45 min drive). One of the issues is I think they like to maintain control, partly because of previous wrestling or coastguard rank but also to they can cut sets when their fat asses want to quit.

It's not my job to pump people up to train. If they want it its there. We're grown men. Train or don't train. I was invited, deemed it not worth my time, and left to surf.

Would it have been better for me to stick around and tell them: A) What they're doing is not intense enough to even lose their bellies, b) no where near the level of training required to competitive fight?

I think that's being a bigger di(k than just excusing myself because my hand hurt, don't want to "train" and would rather enjoy the time off to surf. I stopped by the guys house the next day and told him straight up, he could fight, but training in the background with bums won't do it.

Take it or leave it. Believe it or not. Love it or hate it. Not my issue. I have my training.

Hardwork108
11-08-2009, 02:51 PM

These guys sound like the types who would be more comfortable losing weight taking dance classes. Perhaps you should recommend them to go to some decent salsa clubs. ;):)

Ray Pina
11-08-2009, 03:17 PM
These guys sound like the types who would be more comfortable losing weight taking dance classes. Perhaps you should recommend them to go to some decent salsa clubs. ;):)

The wrestler has a build that betrays his prior training, and he impressed my friend doing some pummeling and grappling. He's a big guy. Turns out 240. With a belly. But solid up top.

The other guy could be good for salsa dancing, yes.

Scott R. Brown
11-08-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm not looking down at them.

Since my last fight, which the wrestler was at, he's been bugging me to train, going so far as to outright say infront of people, though friendly, that he wants to fight me. And that's fine.

I got there and no one wanted to fight. It would be wrong of me to encourage someone ti fight that didn't want to fight and then punch on them. That's not cool.

I offered for all of them to come train BJJ with me. They all said it was too far (45 min drive). One of the issues is I think they like to maintain control, partly because of previous wrestling or coastguard rank but also to they can cut sets when their fat asses want to quit.

It's not my job to pump people up to train. If they want it its there. We're grown men. Train or don't train. I was invited, deemed it not worth my time, and left to surf.

Would it have been better for me to stick around and tell them: A) What they're doing is not intense enough to even lose their bellies, b) no where near the level of training required to competitive fight?

I think that's being a bigger di(k than just excusing myself because my hand hurt, don't want to "train" and would rather enjoy the time off to surf. I stopped by the guys house the next day and told him straight up, he could fight, but training in the background with bums won't do it.

Take it or leave it. Believe it or not. Love it or hate it. Not my issue. I have my training.

I see Ray! Thank you for the clarification with detail, I apologize for coming down so hard on you!:)

Ray Pina
11-09-2009, 10:06 AM
I see Ray! Thank you for the clarification with detail, I apologize for coming down so hard on you!:)

It's cool. No problem.

Lately I've been focused exclusively on me and that can come off bad but I don't care. I'm focused. On work. On writing. On surfing. On sex.

When I heal I'll train.

Lucas
11-09-2009, 10:42 AM
thats really all you could do man. they wouldnt be comfortable at your level of training and you wouldnt be comfortable at their level of training.

you probably got more use out of the extra surfing

Hardwork108
11-09-2009, 11:19 AM
It's cool. No problem.

Lately I've been focused exclusively on me and that can come off bad but I don't care. I'm focused. On work. On writing. On surfing. On sex.

And when you add MA training to the above, you get Ray Pina's Five Excellences (as in kung fu's five excellences). A good balance. :)

taai gihk yahn
11-09-2009, 11:30 AM
And when you add MA training to the above, you get Ray Pina's Five Excellences (as in kung fu's five excellences). A good balance. :)

which is astounding, considering that he cross-trains in BJJ & boxing, competes in MMA events and doesn't believe that you can be a successful fighter using TCMA by itself :eek::eek::eek:
;)

Hardwork108
11-09-2009, 11:44 AM
which is astounding, considering that he cross-trains in BJJ & boxing, competes in MMA events and doesn't believe that you can be a successful fighter using TCMA by itself :eek::eek::eek:
;)

Well, his five excellences are kind of different from the classic ones but they are valid as they create an healthy balance in his life.

Furthermore, he comes across as a decent guy who is exploring his martial path in an HONEST and hardworking way, without the "down in the gutter" behavior of many of the other MMA-ists who post in this forum.

He has my full respect and admiration!

HW8

PS. I also believe that to be successful in modern sport fighting you would need to "adapt" your TCMA.

taai gihk yahn
11-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Well, his five excellences are kind of different from the classic ones but they are valid as they create an healthy balance in his life.

Furthermore, he comes across as a decent guy who is exploring his martial path in an HONEST and hardworking way, without the "down in the gutter" behavior of many of the other MMA-ists who post in this forum.

He has my full respect and admiration!

HW8

PS. I also believe that to be successful in modern sport fighting you would need to "adapt" your TCMA.

Ray certainly is marching to the beat of his own drummer, and that is to be respected, given the propensity for ovine behavior on the part of most people...

Hardwork108
11-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Ray certainly is marching to the beat of his own drummer, and that is to be respected, given the propensity for ovine behavior on the part of most people...

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes sometimes. :p

taai gihk yahn
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes sometimes. :p
why do you inevitably revert to cheap sarcasm as a means of communication?

Lucas
11-09-2009, 12:18 PM

he can do otherwise?

taai gihk yahn
11-09-2009, 12:19 PM
he can do otherwise?

actually, yes;

Lucas
11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
im waiting :D

bawang
11-09-2009, 12:40 PM
i like to rub hot gravy all over my balls and bang my neighbors dog

wow nice
me too

sanjuro_ronin
11-09-2009, 12:43 PM
wow nice
me too

LMAO !!!!
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar !!!

Hardwork108
11-09-2009, 12:57 PM
wow nice
me too

It is because of people like you that I keep my dog out of this forum. ;)

David Jamieson
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
LMAO !!!!
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar !!!

well, a scholar anyway. :p

Hardwork108
11-09-2009, 01:00 PM

I apologize if I caused offence. I mean it. I was just trying to be light hearted. I included myself in that statement by saying "we all...".

HW108

Hardwork108
11-09-2009, 01:03 PM
actually, yes;

That is telling those bovines or is it ovines?. ;-)

HW108

PS. Thank you. :)

taai gihk yahn
11-09-2009, 01:39 PM
wow nice
me too

would that be Uki's dog or Lokhop's? or someone else's (and I'm locking my gate tonight, jut in case...)

uki
11-09-2009, 02:28 PM
would that be Uki's dog or Lokhop's? or someone else's (and I'm locking my gate tonight, jut in case...)i always wonder why the dogs are freaking out... i never paid any attention to the jelly-like substance near my dogs rectum... bawang, please... if you bang my dogs, wipe off the lube - i don't like it when they drag their butts across the carpet and leave petroleum jelly stains... oh and you could walk them first to make sure all the poo is out of the chute. thanks. :)

taai gihk yahn
11-09-2009, 02:34 PM
i always wonder why the dogs are freaking out...
r u sure it's not just how u smell? most dogs can't handle the scent of a Real Man™

Ray Pina
11-09-2009, 03:57 PM

This is exactly right and what I'm focused on now. Getting my kicking back to above standard and blending it all together.

Ray Pina
11-09-2009, 04:01 PM
My real five excellences:

writing, sex, surfing, martial arts, chess ... probably in that order with surfing and martial arts being interchangeable. All of them amplified by ganja.

Hardwork108
11-09-2009, 04:53 PM
This is exactly right and what I'm focused on now. Getting my kicking back to above standard and blending it all together.

What measures are you taking to enhance your kicking abilities?

Lokhopkuen
11-09-2009, 05:12 PM
i always wonder why the dogs are freaking out... i never paid any attention to the jelly-like substance near my dogs rectum... bawang, please... if you bang my dogs, wipe off the lube - i don't like it when they drag their butts across the carpet and leave petroleum jelly stains... oh and you could walk them first to make sure all the poo is out of the chute. thanks. :)

The meaness oh the meeeaaannnesss!:D:rolleyes:

Scott R. Brown
11-09-2009, 05:12 PM

Hmmmmmm. I'm gonna guess........KICKING!:)

Lokhopkuen
11-09-2009, 05:17 PM
That is telling those bovines or is it ovines?. ;-)

HW108

PS. Thank you. :)

Ach -Dub ya- one oh ate?

What's up Brotha?

Welcome back to the battlefield:D

Hardwork108
11-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Ach -Dub ya- one oh ate?

What's up Brotha?

Welcome back to the battlefield:D

I am great, how are you? And how is the battlefield nowadays? :)

Hardwork108
11-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Hmmmmmm. I'm gonna guess........KICKING!:)

I guess that would be a good start. :)

Ray Pina
11-09-2009, 07:04 PM

I've broke it out in some sparring before I got injured. Kicking used to be my specialty but its no where where it needs to be in terms of power and crispness.

Working targeting and form on my heavy bag now, just setting up the spinning back kick over and over. To me, nailing that one sums up all the elements of kicking. Have incorporated the way Thai Boxing pivots to load the supporting leg before kicking.... sometimes. When I want to set up a leg kick. I train that with my coach holding the pad at his leg.... Landed a nice side kick to a guy's midsection the other day when we were sparring and he closed over protecting his head. That use to be my thing, side kick. I've since learned its dangerous to throw but everything can be dangerous. Now I want it back.

bawang
11-09-2009, 07:04 PM
r u sure it's not just how u smell? most dogs can't handle the scent of a Real Man™

modern science has proved it is completely normal for a man to pow pow pow a dog
if u have any fish or small crustaceans in your aquarium ill take them too
there is nothing more beautiful than love between a man and a crab

taai gihk yahn
11-09-2009, 07:06 PM
modern science has proved it is completely normal for a man to pow pow pow a dog
if u have any fish or small crustaceans in your aquarium ill take them too
there is nothing more beautiful than love between a man and a crab

stay the hel1 away from my arthropods...

bawang
11-09-2009, 07:15 PM
hey ray, have u ever tried using cable pulley weights? i think its amazing for training punching and coordinating whole body movement
i dont know any other weight machine that whole body rotation and driving weight forward
a lot of people just do biscel and tricep curls on it its a shame a waste of good equipment.

i always keep my mouth shut about professional training and mma ,but cable machine is amazing. give it a try man it changes your entire striking

doing only bench press and pushups makes you telegraph your punch a lot if u dont pay attention

David Jamieson
11-09-2009, 07:23 PM
"love between a man and a crab" :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHO-qgT6UUU

Hardwork108
11-09-2009, 08:16 PM
I've broke it out in some sparring before I got injured. Kicking used to be my specialty but its no where where it needs to be in terms of power and crispness.

Working targeting and form on my heavy bag now, just setting up the spinning back kick over and over. To me, nailing that one sums up all the elements of kicking. Have incorporated the way Thai Boxing pivots to load the supporting leg before kicking.... sometimes. When I want to set up a leg kick. I train that with my coach holding the pad at his leg.... Landed a nice side kick to a guy's midsection the other day when we were sparring and he closed over protecting his head. That use to be my thing, side kick. I've since learned its dangerous to throw but everything can be dangerous. Now I want it back.

The side kick is a potent weapon. Just take care of that injury when you are training.

HW108

Ray Pina
11-10-2009, 08:38 AM
hey ray, have u ever tried using cable pulley weights? i think its amazing for training punching and coordinating whole body movement

I agree with you, it's good. Though I prefer a two man drill I learned where one guy swings and another kind of fuk saus the punching arm at the bicep to create resistance while standing beside the swinger. Builders shoulder power.

bawang
11-10-2009, 10:45 AM
well if u ever see it at the gym and get bored try it out man, its not a complicated excercise , you just take a handle in one arm and go through the exact motion from jab and cross and hook and rotate ur entire body. it trains your entire arms sholders, legs, hips, entire abdominal muscle , calves, even that hip muscle that rotates, it works every single muscle used for punching

its the only machine i know that trains body rotation

Ray Pina
11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I'll do it tonight.

SoCo KungFu
11-10-2009, 12:51 PM
wow nice
me too

Wow, bawang just won the internet

taai gihk yahn
11-10-2009, 02:19 PM

man, it's like a confluence of prodigal posters at KFMF!

Hardwork108
11-10-2009, 06:16 PM

But it was a sad day for dogs (and their owners) every where.

SoCo KungFu
11-10-2009, 08:38 PM
man, it's like a confluence of prodigal posters at KFMF!

I admire your expert mastery of consonants

Yum Cha
11-11-2009, 04:09 PM
...another thread, gone to the dogs..

taai gihk yahn
11-11-2009, 04:19 PM
...another thread, gone to the dogs..

bark, my good man; bark, I say...

Scott R. Brown
11-11-2009, 09:56 PM
bark, my good man; bark, I say...

You say "bark", I say "arf", let's call the whole thing off!

Duh dum duh....cymbal CLANG!!!

taai gihk yahn
11-12-2009, 03:41 PM
You say "bark", I say "arf", let's call the whole thing off!

Duh dum duh....cymbal CLANG!!!

how about you say "yip" and I say "yap", and we just call off 1/2 of the "thing"?

bawang
11-13-2009, 01:12 AM
hey ray did u try the cable pulley? how did it go