PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Mini Documentary - Sifu David Peterson

sihing
11-09-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEB3NEdfLRA , added on to the DVD release in Australia of "Yip Man" the movie.

Enjoy.

James

mjw
11-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Looks good!

Hardwork108
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEB3NEdfLRA , added on to the DVD release in Australia of "Yip Man" the movie.

Enjoy.

James

Very interesting. Thank you Sihing. :)

HW108

Phil Redmond
11-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I give Sifu David Peterson the biggest props. He learned from WSL who was a great WC practitioner and even learned to speak Chinese which I believe contributed to his understanding of WC. WSL wrote and article http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/wslbl.htm wherein he mentions that William Cheung (Chang) introduced Bruce Lee to Wing Chun. In that article WSL says,
". . . .Later, he asked me when he would be able to win over Chang and me. He asked too much. I felt that he had fallen into the state of bewitchment. His competitive character caused me to worry for him. I feared that he would lose the aim in learning Kung Fu. I said to him, "To win over me is not difficult. I'm only the commonest of the commons. My history of Kung Fu learning, is only a few years longer than yours. There is nothing great in winning over me. I compare with other people not because I have good Kung Fu. It is only because I am not satisfied with the superstitious and mysterious elements people uphold in Chinese Kung Fu. I am young, I have an ideal. I want to alter people's attitude towards Chinese martial arts in my own effort. In fact, Chinese martial arts is simply a kind of sport. Your potential is better than mine. Some day you will win over me. As to Chang, it is difficult to say. You two are of the same age, but his physique and combat experience are better than yours. You will not be able to subdue him now. Whether you can win over him in the future or not depends very much on your progress and your training.. . . ."
In an old Kung Fu magazine article, http://www.wingchunkuen.com/sumnung/articles/article_lo01.html there is mention of both WSL and Cheung Cheuk Hing (William Cheung). Here's what Jesse Glover, Bruce Lee's first American student says what was told to him by BL. http://www.youtube.com/user/sifupr#p/u/50/_e7MwXY5aIw.
I understand that TWC is looked upon as an anomaly amongst many WC practitioners but there needs to be some clarification of what role William Cheung, as well as WSL, played in HK Wing Chun history. In the second Yip Man movie there is supposed to me a "reference" to WSL. Due to unfortunate politics I never expected to see any reference to the contribution William Cheung made to WC's respect in HK. I thank God that I personally heard the truth from Sifu's Moy Yat and Duncan Leung. No matter how some feel about TWC or Sifu William Cheung in particular, or of the Germany incident, omitting him from WC history is a sad thing. In Sifu Duncan Leung's book he recalls how William Cheung would fight in Australia in defence of the Chinese. The bottom line is that in his day he was a formidable fighter according to many including Sibak Wong Shun Leung.

Hardwork108
11-12-2009, 11:39 PM
I give Sifu David Peterson the biggest props. He learned from WSL who was a great WC practitioner and even learned to speak Chinese which I believe contributed to his understanding of WC. WSL wrote and article http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/wslbl.htm wherein he mentions that William Cheung (Chang) introduced Bruce Lee to Wing Chun. In that article WSL says,
". . . .Later, he asked me when he would be able to win over Chang and me. He asked too much. I felt that he had fallen into the state of bewitchment. His competitive character caused me to worry for him. I feared that he would lose the aim in learning Kung Fu. I said to him, "To win over me is not difficult. I'm only the commonest of the commons. My history of Kung Fu learning, is only a few years longer than yours. There is nothing great in winning over me. I compare with other people not because I have good Kung Fu. It is only because I am not satisfied with the superstitious and mysterious elements people uphold in Chinese Kung Fu. I am young, I have an ideal. I want to alter people's attitude towards Chinese martial arts in my own effort. In fact, Chinese martial arts is simply a kind of sport. Your potential is better than mine. Some day you will win over me. As to Chang, it is difficult to say. You two are of the same age, but his physique and combat experience are better than yours. You will not be able to subdue him now. Whether you can win over him in the future or not depends very much on your progress and your training.. . . ."
In an old Kung Fu magazine article, http://www.wingchunkuen.com/sumnung/articles/article_lo01.html there is mention of both WSL and Cheung Cheuk Hing (William Cheung). Here's what Jesse Glover, Bruce Lee's first American student says what was told to him by BL. http://www.youtube.com/user/sifupr#p/u/50/_e7MwXY5aIw.
I understand that TWC is looked upon as an anomaly amongst many WC practitioners but there needs to be some clarification of what role William Cheung, as well as WSL, played in HK Wing Chun history. In the second Yip Man movie there is supposed to me a "reference" to WSL. Due to unfortunate politics I never expected to see any reference to the contribution William Cheung made to WC's respect in HK. I thank God that I personally heard the truth from Sifu's Moy Yat and Duncan Leung. No matter how some feel about TWC or Sifu William Cheung in particular, or of the Germany incident, omitting him from WC history is a sad thing. In Sifu Duncan Leung's book he recalls how William Cheung would fight in Australia in defence of the Chinese. The bottom line is that in his day he was a formidable fighter according to many including Sibak Wong Shun Leung.

That was interesting and thank you.

By the "Germany incident", do you mean the one that involved Emin Bozteppe? If so, then can you explain what happened please.

I have heard one version and to be honest in that version it would seem that Sifu Cheung was ambushed but I would like to hear your take on it, that is if the Germany incident is indeed a reference to this.

You can PM me in confidence if you don't want to mention this publicly.

Thanks again.:)

HW108

goju
11-13-2009, 12:19 AM
i agree im not even a twc guy and its obvious cheung is a very skilled individual who deserves to be noted for his contribution to wc. i never doubted his legitamacy after watching him demonstrate his style:D

sihing
11-13-2009, 03:47 AM
I don't think anyone can say much about William C's abilities when they weren't even there to witness it or fight him themselves, so basically it all conjecture if they do. Plus, there are pictures of WC in his early 40's, he was in great shape then (imagine him in his 20's and 30's), was athletic and tall, plus really fast as can be seen by his earlier video's and tests that were done to measure his speed in the 90's.

The problem lies in his previous behaviour, regarding himself as the heir to Yip Man, and his self promoting. He's also got (or had) a pretty big ego, and definetly didn't know how in the early days to keep his students/instructors in his fold, most of them have left, his own brother and my 1st Sifu included. He let the business end of things take control, instead of thinking about the students and the art. Know one will really know how TWC came about, was it really taught to him by Yip, did he develop it himself or did he learn from another source??? It's mot really important IMO.

I think regarding the 2nd Yip Man movie, they couldn't possibly do justice to everyone of his famous students, so they picked a one or two I imagine. If they do profile Bruce, then they should mention WC for sure since he did play a role in Bruce's development, and influenced him in his later years.

James

Phil Redmond
11-13-2009, 06:17 AM
I don't think anyone can say much about William C's abilities when they weren't even there to witness it or fight him themselves, so basically it all conjecture if they do. Plus, there are pictures of WC in his early 40's, he was in great shape then (imagine him in his 20's and 30's), was athletic and tall, plus really fast as can be seen by his earlier video's and tests that were done to measure his speed in the 90's.
I don't mean to take the spotlight off of any WC person. I just had to write what I did.
Also, if you read the article written by WSL it's obvious that he (WSL) witnessed William Cheung's fights.

k gledhill
11-13-2009, 06:55 AM
My old sifu V Kan was actually in fights with WC sifu too ;)
V Kan mentioned that WC sifu was a "crazy fighter" and would laugh as he was fighting guys in HK in their youth :D

Vajramusti
11-13-2009, 06:58 AM
WSL has received a lot of attention and deservedly so. There were several others who learned IM's wc quite well. Very possibly Ho Kam Ming learned more and over a longer period of time from IM than many/most etc.

But a movie (IM follow up) is just a movie not a history and various degrees of politics enters into human affairs. I hope it is done well and is entertaining.

On TWC, I don't do TWC (or WT) but I like lots of TWC folks and some WT folks-- Phil, Anerlich and some others in TWC Jeff W and Robert in ex WT. But ultimately I immensely enjoy my WC. But no preaching here. We build on what we have and what we got.

joy chaudhuri

goju
11-13-2009, 07:12 AM
welli if you look at william cheungs wc to put it bluntly its obvious he didnt pull it out of his ass
"made up fu" isnt that well put together or complex so obviously he was taught something else by yip man and i dont think in between the time he was taught and when he began teaching himself was enough time to develop his own style

Vajramusti
11-13-2009, 09:23 AM

Enjoy.

James
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I enjoyed David's narration and the clip. Thanks James.

joy chaudhuri

Phil Redmond
11-13-2009, 11:23 AM
My old sifu V Kan was actually in fights with WC sifu too ;)
V Kan mentioned that WC sifu was a "crazy fighter" and would laugh as he was fighting guys in HK in their youth :D
Yes, I remember reading an article in a KF mag a while back where Victor Kan said that Wm. Cheung would smile when he fought and the more opponents the more he would smile. Victor Kan was also one of the WC fighters in HK.

Wu Wei Wu
11-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Going back on topic, I enjoyed David Peterson's narrative. IMO, he deserves full credit for his knowledge, as well as his integrity.

FWIW, I have heard a considerable amount from my instructor Jesse Glover, regarding his respect for the WSL line. Clearly, Bruce Lee was deeply influenced by the time he spent training with WSL (and Yip Man).

Suki

Phil Redmond
11-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Going back on topic, I enjoyed David Peterson's narrative. IMO, he deserves full credit for his knowledge, as well as his integrity.
You got me there. I did go off on a tangent. I think David Peterson is a very good and knowledgeable representative of Wing Chun.

Wu Wei Wu
11-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Just as a footnote to my last comment, Bruce Lee also spent a considerable amount of time training Wing Chun (and other Gung Fu) in Seattle under Fook Yeung.

Suki