PDA

View Full Version : Practicing Real Life fighting

arnuld
11-10-2009, 12:16 AM
I want to make it clear that I don't know any martial arts. I love street safe series of Paul-Vunak but I am unable to get any practitioner in my area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyderabad,_India). So I bought a punching bag started practicing some of the moves I learned from street safe 1 and Tony Jaa's The Protector movie. The only one aim is self-defense , fighting on the street for one's life.

This is my training schedule of hitting the punching bag, I practice kicks on both legs, so divide the reps by 2 for number of kicks with each leg :

(1) 20 front kicks
(2) 20-30 round house kicks (attack on ribs)
(3) 50 side kicks
(4) 50 punches (with first two knuckles)
(5) Punch-on-Wall (http://www.tandao.com/videos/)
(6) 10 elbow attacks
(7) 20 knee kicks
(8) 20 knee kicks (with jumps, you jump and then attack with knee)

My space is quite cramped and I don't have the money to rent a bigger room, so I can not practice moves which take lots of space. Currently I am reading about some boxing moves. Can anyone do some additions to the training, any other lethal moves I can practice ?

When you practice round-house kick which is more effective for real life combat: the upper part of foot or the leg + foot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundhouse_kick#Muay_Thai_method) method of Muay-Thai.

Frost
11-10-2009, 04:33 AM
I want to make it clear that I don't know any martial arts. I love street safe series of Paul-Vunak but I am unable to get any practitioner in my area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyderabad,_India). So I bought a punching bag started practicing some of the moves I learned from street safe 1 and Tony Jaa's The Protector movie. The only one aim is self-defense , fighting on the street for one's life.

This is my training schedule of hitting the punching bag, I practice kicks on both legs, so divide the reps by 2 for number of kicks with each leg :

(1) 20 front kicks
(3) 50 side kicks
(6) 10 elbow attacks
(7) 20 knee kicks

My space is quite cramped and I don't have the money to rent a bigger room, so I can not practice moves which take lots of space. Currently I am reading about some boxing moves. Can anyone do some additions to the training, any other lethal moves I can practice ?

When you practice round-house kick which is more effective for real life combat: the upper part of foot or the leg + foot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundhouse_kick#Muay_Thai_method) method of Muay-Thai.

you can't practise real life fighting moves on your own with a punch bag so maybe chance the title of the thread:rolleyes:

Kick with the shin, one big bone compared to all the little bones of the foot.

That being said buy a gun, buy a knife or peppery spray…..or better still avoid the places where you might get into a fight because without actual hands on training and experience you will get hurt in a street confrontation, better to avoid the situation all together

Tao Of The Fist
11-10-2009, 05:54 AM

(1) 20 front kicks
(3) 50 side kicks
(6) 10 elbow attacks
(7) 20 knee kicks

The best way to get practical skills without doing something potentially lethal is to train with and spar as many people as you can. As the saying goes, experience is the best teacher. Some of the best places to meet people for these types of things would be at a fitness center or if you have a college gym nearby; there's bound to be a few mma guys training or boxers or even TMA guys. The point is just go to some of these places, ask for a day pass, meet and talk to some of these guys, and hopefully find a place where you guys could train (for free) like a park or a backyard.

As for the kicking style...

Like the wiki page says, the difference is the objective of the kick.

In my opinion, the muay thai style kick works best as a blunt strike, whereas the other one could be a much more precise strick depending on the situation. The muay thai kick isn't as focalized in force, so it doesnt deliver as much of a snapping effect and it doesnt work as well unless you put your weight into it, which for me makes little sense. I would train both, spar, and then figure out which one I preferred to use.

sanjuro_ronin
11-10-2009, 07:14 AM
The only way to get practical fighting experience and skill is to fight and the better the people you fight that better your skills will be.
The MT round kick is a "long range" kick, much like the TKD round kick, whereas "karate" round "snap" kicks tend to be more "punching range" kicks.
Its not about which is better because they are used differently, it is about which you prefer.
Don't forget that there is NO REASON why you can't develop both.

By the way, you bag work routine is OK for warming up, but the HB should NOT be hit as if it was "just a bag", you have to move and "fight" it as if it was an opponent.
You don't count kicks and punches and what not.

SAAMAG
11-10-2009, 10:25 AM
If you reaaaaaallly wanted to get good at fighting...you'd be practicing internal bag training, and by that I don't mean the hairy bag.

But seriously, hitting the bag is a GREAT workout. As far as kicking is concerned, like SR said...I'd try to learn both methods. You want to have options and the kicks don't differ enough from one another to make it a hard thing to do (relatively speaking).

As stated twice before, find training partners. As many as possible. Hell you can fight them all at once too! Talk about great training! Im kidding again.

Honestly, I'd say to get in shape, do all the techniques until they seem like second nature. Seek out sparring partners and then you'll be taking on the same path as some folks that trained in mediocre schools. You'll have a harder time getting things down in some areas because there's no one there to correct mistakes (slight ones can make a huge difference) but you can still get there. Staying in shape and practicing those kicks and punches is better than doing nothing. Though some may disagree with that because later on if you do get proper training it may be hard to unlearn what you've laid in place already.

Paul T England
11-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Why are people so stupid!!!! or crazy!!!

Lucas
11-10-2009, 01:04 PM
The region you linked, Hyderabad, is listed as having a population of 4 million people.

If possible go find a school, I garantee there is one somewhere around that city.

karateguy
11-11-2009, 05:44 PM
If you reaaaaaallly wanted to get good at fighting...you'd be practicing internal bag training, and by that I don't mean the hairy bag.

But seriously, hitting the bag is a GREAT workout. As far as kicking is concerned, like SR said...I'd try to learn both methods. You want to have options and the kicks don't differ enough from one another to make it a hard thing to do (relatively speaking).

As stated twice before, find training partners. As many as possible. Hell you can fight them all at once too! Talk about great training! Im kidding again.

Honestly, I'd say to get in shape, do all the techniques until they seem like second nature. Seek out sparring partners and then you'll be taking on the same path as some folks that trained in mediocre schools. You'll have a harder time getting things down in some areas because there's no one there to correct mistakes (slight ones can make a huge difference) but you can still get there. Staying in shape and practicing those kicks and punches is better than doing nothing. Though some may disagree with that because later on if you do get proper training it may be hard to unlearn what you've laid in place already.

I agree, the only way to practice fighting is to do it.. You can spar with friends..

blackjesus
11-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I agree, the only way to practice fighting is to do it.. You can spar with friends

Spar with training partners.

Kung Fu Oldtimers in Hong Kong practised on drunken sailors in Wanchai.

Paul T England
11-12-2009, 03:03 AM
If the only way to get good at fighting is to do it...then that would explain why there is such a lack of experts.......real fighting can get you killed or locked up for life.......you can prepare the best you can and that's all....everything apart from the real thing is play....

Fitness, striking practice and real experience are the fundamentals but you really need skilled training partners and coaches to reach a high level......you can get there on your own if you have a very long life, a great mind and good health but if you are jo average then get a teacher....

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk