PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu And What We Bring To The Table

Iron_Eagle_76
11-13-2009, 06:10 AM
I am curious for Kung Fu folks who have trained in another style or spent significant time training with others from other styles what you're Kung Fu training
had that other styles did not. In other words, what are techniques that you believe make you're Kung Fu system and you a better fighter.

Personally my bread and butter from Pai Lum was the side thrust kick. I have found that in other traditional arts, mostly Karate styles, not as much emphasis was put on this kick whereas we trained it constantly. This was also true of kickboxers and Muay Thai folk, who focused much more on roundhouse and front kicks. Reeping was another useful technique I found that was not found in many of the other arts I either trained or trained with. I'm sure there are more, but I'm just trying to get the general idea started.

Let's hear it folks, what makes you "teh deadly":D

David Jamieson
11-13-2009, 06:49 AM
The Kungfu I learned is solid and places much emphasis on iron skills and very close range work. In the years I've played it, it's end expression is similar across the board though the practitioners are whittled away with time.

I think it's due to frustration and self induced hardship required to succeed with the style.

It's not for everyone. It has certainly contributed to my outlook on life and my understanding of my true nature.

goju
11-13-2009, 07:06 AM
I am curious for Kung Fu folks who have trained in another style or spent significant time training with others from other styles what you're Kung Fu training
had that other styles did not. In other words, what are techniques that you believe make you're Kung Fu system and you a better fighter.

Personally my bread and butter from Pai Lum was the side thrust kick. I have found that in other traditional arts, mostly Karate styles, not as much emphasis was put on this kick whereas we trained it constantly. This was also true of kickboxers and Muay Thai folk, who focused much more on roundhouse and front kicks. Reeping was another useful technique I found that was not found in many of the other arts I either trained or trained with. I'm sure there are more, but I'm just trying to get the general idea started.

Let's hear it folks, what makes you "teh deadly":D

what ****ty karate have you seen where they generally disregarded the side kick?

Iron_Eagle_76
11-13-2009, 08:08 AM
what ****ty karate have you seen where they generally disregarded the side kick?

Plenty in my area, particulary a few Shotokan schools. They have them, but they don't train them correctly and generally throw a half assed side snap kick where the hip does not roll over and very little power is generated. Many also kick with the knife edge of the foot rather than the heel.

Also, I am not making a blanket statement on all Karate or Shotokan for that matter, I'm just giving an example, so please, don't get you're panties in a bunch there Goju grand master.

lkfmdc
11-13-2009, 09:42 AM
After having trained a long time, I generally will tell you there is nothing "unique" in any art... it isn't even arts, the same art (like Shuai Jiao or Praying Mantis) can have different lineages or schools that focus on certain techniques, but in the "tradition" as a whole, you find all the techniques....

That being said, certain things always seem to be undervalued in martial arts. IN both TMA and MMA/"modern" schools I often see a lack of attention to footwork and angles... with my background in Lama Pai, we do a lot with footwork and angles.. but I will also tell you I've seen the same stuff in French Savate and Filipiino MA.

Lama Pai gives us "loopier" punches, but again, I can show you a few cases of very loopy style in boxing, and the Russians who do combat forms of sambo have their "casting punches" (which IMO probably come from Chinese MA but who really knows?)

Perhaps one of the truely "unique" things from CMA is "fah jing" or short power in the clinch and the use of total body to "bump"...

sanjuro_ronin
11-13-2009, 10:48 AM
After having trained a long time, I generally will tell you there is nothing "unique" in any art... it isn't even arts, the same art (like Shuai Jiao or Praying Mantis) can have different lineages or schools that focus on certain techniques, but in the "tradition" as a whole, you find all the techniques....

That being said, certain things always seem to be undervalued in martial arts. IN both TMA and MMA/"modern" schools I often see a lack of attention to footwork and angles... with my background in Lama Pai, we do a lot with footwork and angles.. but I will also tell you I've seen the same stuff in French Savate and Filipiino MA.

Lama Pai gives us "loopier" punches, but again, I can show you a few cases of very loopy style in boxing, and the Russians who do combat forms of sambo have their "casting punches" (which IMO probably come from Chinese MA but who really knows?)

Perhaps one of the truely "unique" things from CMA is "fah jing" or short power in the clinch and the use of total body to "bump"...

The man speaks truth.
BTW Dave, the first time I saw the "bump" was in Kenjustu and when I was exposed to Chen Taiji a few years later I mentioned that to the teacher and he said, " Of course, because Taiji is everywhere".
he was right.

lkfmdc
11-13-2009, 10:58 AM
The man speaks truth.
BTW Dave, the first time I saw the "bump" was in Kenjustu and when I was exposed to Chen Taiji a few years later I mentioned that to the teacher and he said, " Of course, because Taiji is everywhere".
he was right.

LOL, well, like I said, all the **** is the same... I could even suggest that when you pummel and over/under in wrestling......

Shaolin
11-13-2009, 11:11 AM
By nature, just being a man makes us deadly.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-13-2009, 11:18 AM

By "bump" to you mean throw, reep, or simply knock off balance:confused: Sorry to sound ignorant, just wondering what you mean by that.

dirtyrat
11-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Interesting question...

I think the first kung fu style I learned, truly laid my foundations for martial art training. It helped me learn other systems at a faster rate, providing the instructor wasn't holding back or wasn't very organized teaching his material. All other systems strengthen my understanding of that style.

It gave me a solid understanding of body mechanics, what the instructor called 'natural strength'. He deviated from his classmates in that he emphasized relax strength/structure instead of the dynamic tension drills. He believed it was better way of developing the 'heavy hand'.

The grabbing drills, if done right, developed sensitivity for qin na.

The drills we did where we stood facing each other at arms length, hands down at our sides, forced us to be fast in defense and attack; and non-telegraphic.

The combos we learned was designed so that strikes were difficult to see coming. And as some fighters reported, they are usually knocked out by punches they never coming.

They are others but the above comes to mind first.

uki
11-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Let's hear it folks, what makes you "teh deadly"due to the nature of my masonry job and my iron ball juggling, i'd say it would be clawing attacks that emphasize rending muscle from bone, tearing ligaments, snapping joints and all that fun stuff - orbital hammerfists are fun to play with... another dimension comes into play when you add the foundational aspects of bagua circle walking and rotational torque concepts of body manipulation via trapping and leverage - these applied concepts do not use any strikes per se... another favorite aspect is the use of the head to strike an opponents facial areas. headbutts are truly devastating and usually take people by suprise, especially if one is tangled up in some tsai ching energy where they are having difficulty issuing forth a strike or escaping the point of connection between the two bodies... one can further startle and disrupt an opponent by using the age old monkey techniques of suddenly screaming in your opponents face... a little spittle here and there to ensure some unbalancing rage will further affect the opponent in question. then again, if things are not going your way, it's pretty easy to pick up a nearby clubbing object to further facilitate the end to the confrontation.

fight like a cornered tiger... that's my motto. :D

Perhaps one of the truely "unique" things from CMA is "fah jing" or short power in the clinch and the use of total body to "bump"...nothing like a little k'ao ching...

throw a pebble here, drop a boulder there. :D

Lee Chiang Po
11-13-2009, 07:11 PM
What makes a man dangerous is not the number of fighting styles he has learned, but how able he is to use them in a deadly manner. Of course you need to be able to apply the techniques that can kill or maim, but if you don't have the heart for it, you can not be all that deadly. It is just a frame of mind. You have to have the mind of a killer.

LCP

jdhowland
11-13-2009, 11:29 PM
I agree with what lkfmdc wrote. Chinese arts seem to have more types of body contact takedowns such as bumping, "sitting" on the opponent's thigh, and "horse breaking" with leg contact (although judo does some of this).

Two differences that come up when I train with people from other styles that seem to be advantageous to me are that my system (lama/hap ga/white crane) has institutionalized jumping and running training and a preference for gross motor skills. The jumping and running (preferably on steep hills) does more than contribute to general endurance. It seems to add dynamic leg strength to a wide funtional range of skills. The "gross motor" part deals in using striking training to apply to throws and kam na without using the fingers. We can do as many joint locks and throws as the aikido, hapkido, judo, and jujitsu guys without being upset if we miss a grip because the grip is accomplished by limb positioning, not by catching with the fingers. Finger grips are used in the system, but are considered high-level specializes skills. Instead of expecting a technique to work, we expect it to fail and the backup plan is to continue with the same power into a strike. A major tenet is to never reach for a flailing limb, but the shoulder or hip that controls that limb is a fair target.

Is this common to other systems? Dunno. I've seen some of the ideas in other northern systems, but not to the same degree.

jd

Lokhopkuen
11-14-2009, 01:48 AM
Exposure to a series of interconnected rare skill sets, logical in both arrangement and developmental progression woven in to training sequences that are cleverly constructed as well as physically demanding.

Just when you think you've reached a comfort zone a new facet of the curriculum is presented to boggle the mind and challenge the body.

uki
11-14-2009, 03:06 AM
What makes a man dangerous is not the number of fighting styles he has learned, but how able he is to use them in a deadly manner. Of course you need to be able to apply the techniques that can kill or maim, but if you don't have the heart for it, you can not be all that deadly. It is just a frame of mind. You have to have the mind of a killer.well said... this probably why they tell us that the mind is the path. :D

David Jamieson
11-14-2009, 06:43 AM
By "bump" to you mean throw, reep, or simply knock off balance:confused: Sorry to sound ignorant, just wondering what you mean by that.

bumping is clearing a hook or a hold. Dislodging it from it's firmness and allowing yourself to pass.

example, you are clinched, so you break that structure using a bump (dislodge a grasp on you) and then move into your reversal.

Ray Pina
11-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Learned some cool intercepting and trapping from Wing Chun and S Mantis.

From E-Chuan I learned the invaluable lesson of using the elbow to deflect while striking... two for the price of one. And mechanics and structure.

These are not unique things, but that's where I learned them.

SPJ
11-14-2009, 09:00 AM
yes. there are "kao" in all styles of CMA.

however, in Ba Ji, it is much stressed.

we may use forearm, elbow, shin, knee, shoulder, back, chest, hip, and butt---

we have to practice against bags and even a tree--

---

nothing against the tree, but it is deep rooted and almost unmoveable, and also it has a round surface.

this is nothing new, but for people like to use iron hands and iron feet a lot, do you use other areas of the body and develop "kao" jin---

--

uki
11-14-2009, 09:09 AM
From E-Chuan I learned the invaluable lesson of using the elbow to deflect while striking... two for the price of one. And mechanics and structure. do this is what makes you teh deadly?? LOL

you should use your deadly elbows when you fight... :p

Dragonzbane76
11-14-2009, 10:44 PM
do this is what makes you teh deadly?? LOL

you should use your deadly elbows when you fight...

you should learn teh deadlyl... get outta your stagnet pool before you drown technique....:cool:

wonders shall open up before you.

uki
11-14-2009, 11:53 PM
you should learn teh deadlyl... get outta your stagnet pool before you drown technique...

wonders shall open up before you.meh... what you percieve as a stagnant pool is really a spring fed well of abyssal depths. :)

Scott R. Brown
11-15-2009, 12:41 AM
meh... what you percieve as a stagnant pool is really a spring fed well of abyssal depths. :)

sniff....snifff...that is bEEEEEEUtiful poetry.....sniff, sniff!

bawang
11-15-2009, 06:36 AM
kung fu sux
lolol

YouKnowWho
11-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Personally my bread and butter from Pai Lum was the side thrust kick. I have found that in other traditional arts, mostly Karate styles, not as much emphasis was put on this kick whereas we trained it constantly.

The "Pioneer of Tae Kwon Do in the US" Jhoon Rhee once said in Austin, Tx, "If you can do side kick, you can do TKD".

what makes you "the deadly":D
If you are the "man of the steel", anybody who are in your moving path will be crashed, you are "the deadly".

Dragonzbane76
11-15-2009, 06:57 AM
sniff....snifff...that is bEEEEEEUtiful poetry.....sniff, sniff!

yes delusional dementia tends to spark creativity in people :)

Ray Pina
11-15-2009, 09:05 AM
do this is what makes you teh deadly?? LOL

you should use your deadly elbows when you fight... :p

Yea. It makes me very dangerous against regular folk and loud mouth weekend martial artists.... not so much so against professionally trained fighters. Do you understand? Or do we have to pull up that thread or go through that whole thing again.

THERE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. AND I HAVE THE REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE (AND VIDEO) TO PROVE IT..... di(khead:p

uki
11-15-2009, 09:33 AM
yes delusional dementia tends to spark creativity in people.now just imagine when its applied to ones martial art. :D

Yea. It makes me very dangerous against regular folk and loud mouth weekend martial artists.... well thats good to know...

not so much so against professionally trained fighters. so if your deadly elbows don't work against trained fighters, why did you mention them in this thread where it asked what makes you "teh deadly"? :rolleyes:

Do you understand? if i were someone like you, i would be highly offended with this question. :D

Or do we have to pull up that thread or go through that whole thing again.do what you want, believe as you wish... doesn't change anything about me.

THERE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. AND I HAVE THE REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE (AND VIDEO) TO PROVE IT..... di(kheadso far the videos only prove that you get yer a$$ whooped. :p

Ray Pina
11-15-2009, 02:26 PM
now just imagine when its applied to ones martial art. :D

so if your deadly elbows don't work against trained fighters, why did you mention them in this thread where it asked what makes you "teh deadly"? :rolleyes:

That wasn't what I was asked. I was asked what I got out of Kung Fu.

As for my videos. It shows SOME of my fights. Fights that just happened to have someone filming. I can't control what's filmed. And I can't control the outcome of all fights. That's fighting. Fighters know it and respect.

You talk like a fan. Or in this case, a hater. It's part of the thing and I'm getting used to it. It helps knowing that I could kick the living $hit out of most of these people. I hear their things in passing. Because this is the web, you say it directly. If we were face to face I'm sure you wouldn't be so eager to test me. ..... maybe you would.

uki
11-15-2009, 03:33 PM
That wasn't what I was asked. I was asked what I got out of Kung Fu.so you got deadly elbows that are only beneficial when fighting a regulare person... hmmmm...

As for my videos. It shows SOME of my fights. Fights that just happened to have someone filming. I can't control what's filmed. And I can't control the outcome of all fights. That's fighting. Fighters know it and respect.they say a picture speaks a thousand words - i can only imagine what they say about a video, either way, you have several hundred(if not thousands) of words to catch up on. :p

You talk like a fan.i guess you could call me your fan, afterall, i do like following you around. :p

Or in this case, a hater.awww come on man, i don't hate ya... this is just pure old fashioned picking on you because you react to it. :p

It's part of the thing and I'm getting used to it.i am suprised it took you this long not to give a sh!t what people say about you. :p

It helps knowing that I could kick the living $hit out of most of these people.again... your videos speak volumes... just saying. :p

I hear their things in passing.yet you stick around to retort...

Because this is the web, you say it directly. If we were face to face I'm sure you wouldn't be so eager to test me.LOL... i would love for you to come and hang out for the day... look me up the next time your in the states. :)

..... maybe you would.of course... i do my best to keep things real. what you see here is what you get out there. :D

it's all good buddy... peace.

Dragonzbane76
11-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76
yes delusional dementia tends to spark creativity in people.

now just imagine when its applied to ones martial art.

haha yes...

it creates a delusioned person that thinks he understands all the great cosmos with his chi like abilities... which of course give him the power to sit in front of his keyboard and bait and talk trash to people on the interwebss....

no better description could be found of you...:D

you just made me laugh... i'm happier this day for that...uki

uki
11-15-2009, 04:23 PM
it creates a delusioned person that thinks he understands all the great cosmos with his chi like abilities... which of course give him the power to sit in front of his keyboard and bait and talk trash to people on the interwebss....and people fall for it... this speaks volumes on their martial ability.

no better description could be found of you...you couldn't adequately describe me with an effing libray of resources in front of you.

you just made me laugh... i'm happier this day for that...ukimy daily goal has been accomplished... laughter is the best medicine. be healed my friend. :p

bawang
11-15-2009, 06:13 PM
what a douchebag

Scott R. Brown
11-15-2009, 08:44 PM
what a douchebag

Even douche bags serve a useful purpose!

The purpose of a douche bag is to clean out the dross!

The problem is that usually dross doesn't know it is dross so it resents the douche bag!

:)

Hebrew Hammer
11-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Even douche bags serve a useful purpose!

The purpose of a douche bag is to clean out the dross!

:)

I recommend gargling once daily....

uki
11-16-2009, 01:55 AM
I recommend gargling once daily....ummmm... i got some xxx rated thoughts from that there post sir. :p

what a douchebagyou are such a ray of sunshine... all your posts emanate with love and light - you are such a pleasant addition to any thread. :D

Dragonzbane76
11-16-2009, 04:21 AM
you couldn't adequately describe me with an effing libray of resources in front of you.

ah but the simplest words come to mind when contemplating a description.

again simplisity is my master no other.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-16-2009, 05:44 AM
If you are the "man of the steel", anybody who are in your moving path will be crashed, you are "the deadly".

I dressed up as Superman last Halloween, does that count?:D

goju
11-16-2009, 06:24 AM
another thing i have forgot to mention is ive seen quite a few kung fu guys used the knife edge of the foot when they side kick as well it doesnt seem to be exclusive to karate or tkd:D

TenTigers
11-16-2009, 06:50 AM
the knife-edge used in the sidekick, as I have been taught, is actually the edge of the heel, so there direct alignment throughout the leg. When I was younger, I thought it was simply the edge of the side of the foot-which is structurally weak and completely out of alignment. I tried to jam a kick with it and tore the sheaths of my tendons-couldn't walk for six months.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-16-2009, 08:27 AM
the knife-edge used in the sidekick, as I have been taught, is actually the edge of the heel, so there direct alignment throughout the leg. When I was younger, I thought it was simply the edge of the side of the foot-which is structurally weak and completely out of alignment. I tried to jam a kick with it and tore the sheaths of my tendons-couldn't walk for six months.

This is a great example of a correct side kick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0rXBj6bt4

Lokhopkuen
11-16-2009, 08:35 AM
<SNIP>It helps knowing that I could kick the living $hit out of most of these people. <SNIP>

And why do you think that exactly?

Lokhopkuen
11-16-2009, 08:39 AM
This is a great example of a correct side kick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0rXBj6bt4

Not in my book.

Dragonzbane76
11-16-2009, 08:59 AM
yeah we all know what your book consists of. :rolleyes:

Iron_Eagle_76
11-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Not in my book.

Care to elaborate or just make a blanket statement.

TenTigers
11-16-2009, 09:07 AM
that sidekick looked pretty weak. I've seen my former TKD instructor Yeon Hee Park, buckle an Everlast leather heavybag in half while sending it almost to the ceiling, with a good sidekick.
Although the sanda sidekick demonstrated illustrated the straight path theory, and had hip shift at the end of the kick, it is no comparisson to having a good chamber and turning your hip over to align the entire body into the kick.
The straight path sidekick can also be easily jammed as it comes up, as opposed to a tighter chamber which can be thrown closer in.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-16-2009, 09:20 AM
that sidekick looked pretty weak. I've seen my former TKD instructor Yeon Hee Park, buckle an Everlast leather heavybag in half while sending it almost to the ceiling, with a good sidekick.
Although the sanda sidekick demonstrated illustrated the straight path theory, and had hip shift at the end of the kick, it is no comparisson to having a good chamber and turning your hip over to align the entire body into the kick.
The straight path sidekick can also be easily jammed as it comes up, as opposed to a tighter chamber which can be thrown closer in.

It may seem weak because it is not going to generate the power a kick thrown from the rear leg will or a stepping side kick, but it does illustrate proper technique. I agree with what you are saying about hip and body alignment at the end of the kick, which is the most important ingredient to having a good side kick.

Also, a side kick from the front leg can set up combinations and not leave a person off guard, especially for a takedown against a grappler, like the stepping side kick will. Watch Cung Le and you will notice how often he utilizes the front side kick.

Lokhopkuen
11-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Care to elaborate or just make a blanket statement.

He is just sticking his leg out not thrusting it. He looks like a decent fighter though. Strong but I use a different mechanic.....

TenTigers
11-16-2009, 09:27 AM
I only teach the rear leg sidekick as an exercise to develop awareness of hip placement and pivot. As a fighting weapon, it is slow, telegraphed, and easily countered.

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2009, 09:29 AM
My lead leg side kick (ITF TKD) was my bread and butter when I sparred and I brought it over into kyokushin and it worked great for me then, but when I added more "triangular" footwork to my repatoire, I couldn't find a place for it....
I still train it, but not as much as I could.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-16-2009, 09:37 AM
I only teach the rear leg sidekick as an exercise to develop awareness of hip placement and pivot. As a fighting weapon, it is slow, telegraphed, and easily countered.

I have done it in kickboxing bouts before and pulled it off, but I would never try it in MMA, too risky. I have also seen guys try it in San Shou and get countered and slammed as well. It can be very powerful, but as you said, can be telegraphed and easily countered. It's all about set ups and timing.

Dragonzbane76
11-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Silly f@ggot d!cks are for chicks
If I wanna hear you gurggle I'll flush the toilet

have no idea where this came from... ?? you really have some anger issues don't you or do i hit to close to home on some of my observations with you. :rolleyes:

since you didn't get it the first time i'll explain...what i meant "by your book"
Meaning the sudo-dogma that most traditionalist pray to every day and try to pass it on to others as god 'fearin' truth. meaning u as in stuck in your very 'quaint' and shrinking universe.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-16-2009, 09:47 AM
My lead leg side kick (ITF TKD) was my bread and butter when I sparred and I brought it over into kyokushin and it worked great for me then, but when I added more "triangular" footwork to my repatoire, I couldn't find a place for it....
I still train it, but not as much as I could.

SR, when you were competing in kyokushin, was the side kick used much? In my experience KK fighters did not use it much, though they more than made up for it with front kicks, roundhouses, and knees. Just curious.

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2009, 09:52 AM
SR, when you were competing in kyokushin, was the side kick used much? In my experience KK fighters did not use it much, though they more than made up for it with front kicks, roundhouses, and knees. Just curious.

Nope, it wasn't, that is why it was so effective for me.
My TKD was basically kyokushin and I my LEAD leg side kick was developed in a full contact environment.
I never bothered with the rear leg, but some guys used it very well.
The lead leg is an excellent "Jeet" kick ( Intercepting) and I would use it to the body quite well, It does force you to be very mobile since you are facing your opponent side on, but its something you learn to "fall into" as you adapt it to different fighting situations and it take take some work to adapt it because in TKD you tend to see certain profiles far more than those scene in Kyokushin.
And the leg kicks to of course.

Lokhopkuen
11-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Nope, it wasn't, that is why it was so effective for me.
My TKD was basically kyokushin and I my LEAD leg side kick was developed in a full contact environment.
I never bothered with the rear leg, but some guys used it very well.
The lead leg is an excellent "Jeet" kick ( Intercepting) and I would use it to the body quite well, It does force you to be very mobile since you are facing your opponent side on, but its something you learn to "fall into" as you adapt it to different fighting situations and it take take some work to adapt it because in TKD you tend to see certain profiles far more than those scene in Kyokushin.
And the leg kicks to of course.

For the lead leg I like intercepting the incoming angle with the high knee crane stance and a flexed foot. After I intercept with the shin, I catch his foreleg in the crook of my ankle THEN deliver the counter side kick.

The back leg I initiate an upper cutting knee strike followed by cutting through the center of mass with my legs weight driving the side kick.

Wildwoo
11-16-2009, 07:49 PM
have no idea where this came from... ?? you really have some anger issues don't you or do i hit to close to home on some of my observations with you. :rolleyes:

since you didn't get it the first time i'll explain...what i meant "by your book"
Meaning the sudo-dogma that most traditionalist pray to every day and try to pass it on to others as god 'fearin' truth. meaning u as in stuck in your very 'quaint' and shrinking universe.

**D a m n** Now I feel like kicking your as$:eek: Brother I travel quite a bit so if you are interested let me know if you'd care to meet and exchange notes. I'll be happy to show you our applications and hand down some jing.;)

Yum Cha
11-16-2009, 08:06 PM

****, don't you just hate that?

Yum Cha
11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
For the lead leg I like intercepting the incoming angle with the high knee crane stance and a flexed foot. After I intercept with the shin, I catch his foreleg in the crook of my ankle THEN deliver the counter side kick....

That sounds familiar....our version sounds a bit more like 'counter kicking' than intercepting... With good technique you can avoid the shin clash. :D

It does work, for sure. Sparring at least. Its one of those moves that gives guys 'big eyes'. :eek:

blackjesus
11-16-2009, 10:43 PM
I have found a few of the block & strike (at the same time) techniques in Hung Gar Kung Fu very useful.

The conditioning from Dai Sam Sing (hitting 3 sides of formarm/bridge) and forms are very beneficial when you fight too.

Lokhopkuen
11-17-2009, 01:53 AM
That sounds familiar....our version sounds a bit more like 'counter kicking' than intercepting... With good technique you can avoid the shin clash. :D

It does work, for sure. Sparring at least. Its one of those moves that gives guys 'big eyes'. :eek:

As you know:
there are certain techniques with similar essences to the above that once you engage after bridging the distance there is no escape. For instance in Jo Mah (the stance) Shaolim #9 You stand and resist, redirect, avoid or check then counter strike with devastating results.

Resist with durability (to be steadfast under punch or kick) and strike with irresistible force< Dit Jurng>. (cut through the opponents center of mass.) Iron Hand.

Dragonzbane76
11-17-2009, 05:31 AM
**D a m n** Now I feel like kicking your as$ Brother I travel quite a bit so if you are interested let me know if you'd care to meet and exchange notes. I'll be happy to show you our applications and hand down some jing.

:) As I would love to introduce you to some judo/BJJ tech. but alas you have some anger issues/head shoved up Lok. A$$. don't think our meeting would translate very friendly. And friends are all i'm worried about, since my opinion differs from your own it seems you are inclinded to not recieve me very 'openly' :p

Dragonzbane76
11-17-2009, 05:34 AM
He is just sticking his leg out not thrusting it. He looks like a decent fighter though. Strong but I use a different mechanic.....

maybe he's using it for more of a 'stop kick' If your going for power you would step through and roll hip. maybe he just wants to stop the target.

lead leg quicker reaction time and easier to throw up into advancing target, espcially ones that are aggressive more often.

Lucas
11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
to be fair, he didnt mention anything about a friendly encounter. i think he said he wanted to beat your ass :p

Dragonzbane76
11-17-2009, 11:19 AM
haha your right he stated he wants to beat my ass...

http://media.skateboard.com.au/forum/images/ethug22.jpg

goju
11-17-2009, 11:25 AM
lol that guy has about 30 pounds on his bench press rack! what a weenie

i can bench a whole 50!

Lucas
11-17-2009, 11:57 AM
lol that guy has about 30 pounds on his bench press rack! what a weenie

i can bench a whole 50!

well you know he added extra weights for the picture.

Yum Cha
11-17-2009, 02:52 PM
As you know:
there are certain techniques with similar essences to the above that once you engage after bridging the distance there is no escape. For instance in Jo Mah (the stance) Shaolim #9 You stand and resist, redirect, avoid or check then counter strike with devastating results.

Resist with durability (to be steadfast under punch or kick) and strike with irresistible force< Dit Jurng>. (cut through the opponents center of mass.) Iron Hand.

Have you ever heard the saying that Pak Mei has no retreating moves?

This is all sound southern chinese principle, interception, attacking the attack. So easy to explain, so difficult to execute! But, fair enough, it works a charm.

I always take it as a mark of courage as well as skill in a developing fighter. A major stepping stone in an individual's development.

Lokhopkuen
11-17-2009, 03:32 PM
maybe he's using it for more of a 'stop kick' If your going for power you would step through and roll hip. maybe he just wants to stop the target.

lead leg quicker reaction time and easier to throw up into advancing target, espcially ones that are aggressive more often.

Martial art moron:rolleyes:

Lokhopkuen
11-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Have you ever heard the saying that Pak Mei has no retreating moves?

This is all sound southern chinese principle, interception, attacking the attack. So easy to explain, so difficult to execute! But, fair enough, it works a charm.

I always take it as a mark of courage as well as skill in a developing fighter. A major stepping stone in an individual's development.

I have a few Pak Mei Brothers Yum Cha and if I'm not mistaken it is one of the few systems that uses the Phoenix Eye fist in advance instead of retreat?
The aggressive nature of the system was based on the powerful attack for "monk hunting" LOL!
Most Chinese art uses the Dragon/ Tiger essence. When in attack it is unstoppable and in retreat completely elusive. Pak Mei and Chu Ga use the Tiger principle do or die trying?

Lokhopkuen
11-17-2009, 03:43 PM
to be fair, he didnt mention anything about a friendly encounter. i think he said he wanted to beat your ass :p

Yea he does;) I put a stop to it:D These young'nz:rolleyes:

Lucas
11-17-2009, 03:45 PM
you only live once! :D

....i think?

Lokhopkuen
11-17-2009, 04:21 PM

Wipe your chin son, I can tell you're the type that drools himself while speaking:D
The only thing I pray is that you'll contract leprosy and your jimmy falls off LMAO.

Being that you know nothing about what traditional martial art practices are about, it stands to reason that you do not know WTF you're talking about as you continue to make mumbling marble mouth statements lacking logic, substance or reason.

(So you've read a little Bruce Lee and you we're obviously impressed by the experience):rolleyes:

Sh!t; I'm impressed you can read a "wall of text" LOL!

As far as me being angry **b!tch please** you are a troll.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1a1FNp70no-R4M:http://alesrarus.funkydung.com/images/troll.jpg
Trolls do not anger us, instead once they are identified by their "baiting tactics" they are tracked, stalked then gunned down in the war of words.

Every post you make exposes how little you know & buddy boy, you do more damage to yourself that I ever could:p as you CONTINUE BLATHERING while contributing nothing here but C-yammer trying to distract from the very discussion of martial art while you "bait", attempt to incite anger as you project your bizarre fantasies of YOUR desired emotional reaction.:rolleyes:

Then once someone responds, you change your tone and play the victim
LOL!
Talking about their doctrines and telling them how they're s'possed to be as traditional practitioners to distract from further exposing the novice, big mouth, E-thug that you are.....

(Aren't the mods s'posse to deal with this type of tripe?)

I've read your posts off and on since you joined = No contribution of even rudimentary relation to martial art. You are an admitted beginner, a proven liar speaking with authority whilst lacking knowledge, with your ("YEARS OF EXPERIENCE in BJJ and GRAPPLING" and you "JUST HAD YOUR very FIRST FIGHT BUT YOU GOT INJURED AN HADDA BACK OUT") Poor woobie :(

**YAWN**

I think I'll go and Practice my Sword in the moon light (http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/lokhopkuen/?action=view&current=kisu-1.flv)now LOL!

Wildwoo
11-17-2009, 04:48 PM
haha your right he stated he wants to beat my ass...

http://media.skateboard.com.au/forum/images/ethug22.jpg

Dragonzbane7 I am not angry I do not lift weights I am not white and yes I want to punch your mouth:D

Dragonzbane76
11-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Wipe your chin son, I can tell you're the type that drools himself while speaking
The only thing I pray is that you'll contract leprosy and your jimmy falls off LMAO.

vulgar insults i'm insulted... you can do better i know you can. :cool:

Being that you know nothing about what traditional martial art practices are about, it stands to reason that you do not know WTF you're talking about as you continue to make mumbling, marble mouth statements lacking logic, substance or reason.
(I can tell you've read Bruce Lee and you we're obviously impressed by him) Sh!t; I'm impressed you can read a"wall of text" LOL!

and you know this how from words on the interwebs... that's impressive you can read words and tell every detail about someone. Glad you found the BOLD
option, grats. Not a real big fan of bruce lee he had some good ideas but all and all i live in the reality of now.
Sh!t I'm impressed you can read (insults verying)
least I can read a "wall of text"

As far as me being angry **b!tch please** you are a troll.

Trolls do not anger us, instead the are tracked, stalked then gunned down in the war of words

you know the funny thing about this statement is that i've never actually insulted you on a personal lvl. I've disagreed with you on almost everything but in the end i've never actually insulted you. I have to admit and i've actually gotten a couple PM's on this forum from others saying that your just an old angry man, i'm starting to agree. The worlds changing I know it seem you can't accept that traditional bull crap seems to be going the way of the dodo. But if you want to live your life the way it is so be it, who am I to tell anyone what to do. But really for a buddist/taoist you have really got some anger issues. I know some people from my college days that dabble in Psych. might be able to give you a number or 2.

Every post you make exposes how little you know. Sh!t buddy boy, you do more damage to yourself that I ever could as you CONTINUE to contribute nothing here but C-yammer attempting to distract, anger and incite only to project your bizarre fantasies of desired emotional reaction. Then once someone responds, you change your tone and play the victim LOL! Talking about their doctrines and telling them how they're s'possed to be as traditional practitioners to distract from further exposing the novice, big mouth, E-thug that you are.....

I wasn't really trying to hide myself? Friend let me give you some advise (for free) What I do with my time is mine to decide If I wanna waste it on the internet bantering with druel idiots then so be it. If I state somethign about someone's doctrine then its my opinion, take it or leave it. Am i changing your life with these statements? If so then I think you have bigger problems than me to worry about. you make to much of me, like you said I'm a bunch of words with no name. If you think i'm a novice so be it I don't spout my resume online to people and in all honesty its a big turn off to hear someone do so, it makes them less credible in others eyes. (something u need to work on) I'm comfortable in my accomplishments i have no need to put them out there to unknown people.

I've read your posts off and on since you joined= No contribution of even rudimentary relation to martial art. You are an admitted beginner, a proven liar ("YEARS OF EXPERIENCE in BJJ and GRAPPLING" and you "JUST HAD YOUR very FIRST FIGHT BUT YOU GOT INJURED AN HADDA BACK OUT") Poor woobie

and i've read some of yours and i'll say you contribute less in actual information and more in false information. I'll always be a beginner, that's some true knowledge you attain with years, there is never an end or master just a beginning and a road.

and broke my hand actually, had a 300 pound guy fall on it doing clinch work 2 weeks out from fight :)

Oh watched a point sparring match you did, nice you get some great stop and start action in those. :D:D:D

Dragonzbane76
11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Dragonzbane7 I am not angry I do not lift weights I am not white and yes I want to punch your mouth

congratulations... step in line. :)

Dragonzbane76
11-17-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm neither Buddhist or Taoist
X-Mas is coming

what ever you come off as this peace loving guy and then you turn into the guy from the bate's motel. Anger issue is def. up there.

Oh it is happy holidays to you as well. :)

is that your deodorant?

Lokhopkuen
11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Where do you get the impression that I'm angry:confused:
I'm just killing time at work:rolleyes: This is the inter-webs buddy, don't take it so serious;)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/myfask/258Troll_spray.jpg

YES THIS IS MY DEODORANT :D

Lokhopkuen
11-17-2009, 07:03 PM
what ever you come off as this peace loving guy and then you turn into the guy from the bate's motel.

I am peace loving until someone starts picking sh!t with me for no reason:D
Here as in real life it's the same way. Someone starts up with me and I say
"no please I don't want any trouble."
but of course they take my reluctance for weakness belatedly finding that I am willing to go further and harder that they ever imagined.

You thought because I posted various quotations related to martial art as spiritual development that you could heckle and fu@k with me and that I'd just roll over while you got your laugh:rolleyes:

Tao Of The Fist
11-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Take your own advice broski and he won't bother you.

Lokhopkuen
11-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Take your own advice broski and he won't bother you.

Where is the fun in that? It's like playing with a BB Gun, everyone thinks it's funny until someone is missing an eye:rolleyes:

Wildwoo
11-18-2009, 01:36 AM
take your own advice broski and he won't bother you.

**LMAO** :d

Wildwoo
11-18-2009, 01:41 AM
I am peace loving until someone starts picking sh!t with me for no reason:D
Here as in real life it's the same way. Someone starts up with me and I say
"no please I don't want any trouble."
but of course they take my reluctance for weakness belatedly finding that I am willing to go further and harder that they ever imagined.:

DB76 calls it baiting.

uki
11-18-2009, 04:15 AM
DB76 calls it baiting.one has to wonder about all this trolling and baiting accuasations floating around... i wonder... meh wait... this deserves it's own thread. :p

Dragonzbane76
11-18-2009, 05:41 AM
Where is the fun in that? It's like playing with a BB Gun, everyone thinks it's funny until someone is missing an eye

YOUR MISSING AN EYE???? DAM IS THIS YOU THEN ??????????

OR IS THIS WILDWOO FROM YOU BUTT PIRATE DAYS
"WRONG HOLE"

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/mjesenovec/patches.jpg

eh had to fix link

Lokhopkuen
11-18-2009, 11:11 PM

"WRONG HOLE"

I'm not white

but

it's quite apparent

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1a1FNp70no-R4M:http://alesrarus.funkydung.com/images/troll.jpg

you are:rolleyes:

Wildwoo
11-18-2009, 11:18 PM

"WRONG HOLE"

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/mjesenovec/patches.jpg

eh had to fix link

Now you imply a ho-mo-sexual relationship between my teacher and I?

The
Kung Fu Magazine Forums Rules

Clearly state that there are no sexually oriented posts allowed.
BAN HIM!!!

Although the administrators and moderators of Kung Fu Magazine Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Kung Fu Magazine Forums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Kung Fu Magazine Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Lokhopkuen
11-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Now you imply a ho-mo-sexual relationship between my teacher and I?

The
Kung Fu Magazine Forums Rules

Clearly state that there are no sexually oriented posts allowed.
BAN HIM!!!

Although the administrators and moderators of Kung Fu Magazine Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Kung Fu Magazine Forums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Kung Fu Magazine Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

I've been banned, it only hurts a lttle:D

Dragonzbane76
11-19-2009, 05:11 AM
I'm not white

but

it's quite apparent

you are

and I could call this a racist statement so I'm sure i could dig something up in the rules about it as well Mr. wild. if we were to get technical. What ever you took from the picture and words are totally "subjective" as Uki says.

good day to you :)

Lokhopkuen
11-19-2009, 12:00 PM
and I could call this a racist statement so I'm sure i could dig something up in the rules about it as well Mr. wild. if we were to get technical. What ever you took from the picture and words are totally "subjective" as Uki says.

good day to you :)

I'm not racist I just don't like you, you little b!tch:D

sanjuro_ronin
11-19-2009, 01:01 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pPO_NNuOL6k/SVocB4u9yRI/AAAAAAAAAn4/83pN0E1zT3M/s400/RacistRepugCartoon.jpg

Dragonzbane76
11-19-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm not racist I just don't like you, you little b!tch

feelings mutual.
I was just referencing about what Mr. Wild. wrote. I guess it's all how you interpret things. ;)

David Jamieson
11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Must we spiral downwards?

Apparently...we must. :(

:D

I think if you guys backed it up a touch, you'd find common ground as far as martial arts is concerned. Getting wrapped up in fighting anonymously wrecks the thread and doesn't help you find that common ground.

Having said that, wildwoo, have you posted your video yet? lol

Yum Cha
11-19-2009, 02:35 PM

:D

I think if you guys backed it up a touch, you'd find common ground as far as martial arts is concerned. Getting wrapped up in fighting anonymously wrecks the thread and doesn't help you find that common ground.

Having said that, wildwoo, have you posted your video yet? lol

Man, these guys shoot their wad pretty easy...

uki
11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Man, these guys shoot their wad pretty easy...pressure builds...

Dragonzbane76
11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
some of it's my fault i bait a little :D

I concur with you Mr. Jamieson

Lokhopkuen
11-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Man, these guys shoot their wad pretty easy...

I'm not even e-rect.....

Yum Cha
11-19-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm not even e-rect.....

Good to hear, let's keep it that way, eh mate?

Lokhopkuen
11-19-2009, 06:52 PM

It's in the bible, god said:rolleyes:

uki
11-20-2009, 03:30 AM
Must we spiral downwards?what goes up, must come down - there is a zenith and a nadir to everything in life, all cycles, phases, and movement. :)

David Jamieson
11-20-2009, 04:30 AM
It's in the bible, god said:rolleyes:

lol

it probably is. something like:

"go forth and multiply" then "spiral downwards" :D

Yum Cha
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM
lol

it probably is. something like:

"go forth and multiply" then "spiral downwards" :D

Daham! A proper biblical scholar.