PDA

View Full Version : Master Tony Yang...commuting to train

djphrenzy
09-08-2001, 01:04 AM
Right now it seems my options are pretty limited for training in Praying Mantis. I have the Wah Lum School in Columbus, its about 1 1/2 hours away and Sifu Naayers charges $100/hour for private instruction. The there's Master Tony Yang at the Ohio Wu Tang Center. He's in Canton, Ohio which is about 3 hours away from me. I could commute up there maybe once a month for a day of training.

These are really the only schools where the lineage can be verified. Commuting to train kind of sucks, but it looks like its my only option right now. What do you guys think? Would you commute 3 hours to train once a month?

Thanks-

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat
http://www.djphrenzy.com

Scarletmantis
09-08-2001, 02:32 AM
I thought you had found the perfect teacher. Wasn't his name Eric Knight? He sounded pretty good judging from your other thread. :confused:

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the mind of man. The reality of life is war."

- The Way and the Power

nobody
09-08-2001, 06:55 AM
and, btw where exactly do you live. i am the master of the web, i can find almost anything, if there is anything close, i think i can find it ;)

Tainan Mantis
09-08-2001, 08:24 AM
I received a blank e-mail from someone named nobody.

Tainan Mantis
09-08-2001, 01:57 PM
My teacher used to drive 3hrs every weekend on a 125 c.c. motorbike to study with his teacher.
When he got to Tai Chung he'd take a 30m nap in the park before seeing the teacher. Now he is the inheritor of the Plum Flower system.
By the way Tony Yang studied his Plum Flower from my teacher's kung fu brother.

nobody
09-08-2001, 05:31 PM
it wasnt me :confused:

djphrenzy
09-08-2001, 06:06 PM
I'll explain what happened with Sifu Knight, but I think it deserves another thread. Please see the thread entitled "Inflated Lineage"

Later-

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat
http://www.djphrenzy.com

HuangKaiVun
09-09-2001, 02:46 AM
I travel 3 hours to study with my instructor on a 1-on-1 basis.

For quality instruction, I'll go the distance (within "reasonable" limits, of course).

RAF
09-09-2001, 04:28 AM
Dear DJPhrenzy:

I believe you called the school over the weekend but Tony Yang is at Nick Scrima's school in Florida giving a seminar.

I really can see the situation you are in. Tony usually starts every student out with 8 step mantis (Su Yu Zhang), kicking, and stance work. They also do a number of sets of single moving postures from 7 star, 8 step, and 6 harmony with counter side of fighting application. You would have to travel to Akron (Canton is his home).

Interestingly, in the upcoming Hall of Fame Tournament (October 5,6, and 7) the head of the Qingdao Praying Mantis association will be here. His name is Zhang Wei Fu and his specialty is Meihua praying mantis.

Last year Su Yu Zhang gave a seminar on Pimen praying mantis along with his boyhood friend who was a disciple of Wei Xiao Tang. They include a tape.

Call on Monday or Wednesday nites after 6:30 at the school. No one is there during the daytime.

You can also check our website for the basic curriculum.

http://www.wutangcenter.com/styles.htm

Sorry about not getting back sooner.