PDA

View Full Version : Asking a Master for training...

djphrenzy
09-09-2001, 01:44 AM
Master Tony Yang lives and has a school in Canton, Ohio which is about 3 hours from me. I am seriously thinking about studying under Master Yang. My job is more than willing to work around a "school" schedule, and I could pretty easily get up there for a few days each month.

I called Master Yang last week to ask if any of his students lived in my area and were qualified to teach. I left a message on the machine, and he called me back the next day.

He politely informed me of the two mantis schools he knows of that are somewhat close to me, both in Columbus, Ohio. One is the Wah Lum school, which in my opinion is rather pricey, and the other is what Master Yang called a "Wushu school".

After we discussed those schools breifly, he invited me to the 2001 Wu Tang Hall of Fame Tournament coming up on October 5th-7th. He said "You come tournament, ask for Tony Yang, I introduce you to many mantis masters. You see different styles, see what you like." I am, of course, going to take advantage of this invitation...it sounds like fun, and I've never really been to any type of MA tournament.

Anyway, my question to you is this. How would I go about asking Master Yang to take me as a student? On his website it lists instructors at the school that teach various styles, but I would prefer to learn directly from Master Yang...especially if I'm commuting 3 hours both directions. Are there any formalities to asking a Master to teach you, or should I just be casual about it?

Thanks- :D

Steve "Phrenzy"
Hope to study Mantis
Once again "Sifu-less"
http://www.djphrenzy.com

HuangKaiVun
09-09-2001, 02:43 AM
Master Yang sounds like a cool enough guy for you to ask him those questions DIRECTLY!

EARTH DRAGON
09-09-2001, 02:56 AM
that is a tough situation. Although he may be the nicest guy in the world, with tradional chinese masters you have to prove yourself worthy of the information and be willing to put your time in before he sees you as a serious sutdent. Money may play a role in private lessons but for the most part their is a order of protocal for new student and you will almost never be taken under someones wing until you have proven yourself. I know that sounds kinda old fashion but thats how masters think. I know I was lucky enough to train under 2 of them.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

nobody
09-09-2001, 04:30 AM
i would be greatly honored if you would instruct me. or something like that

RAF
09-09-2001, 04:40 AM
Tony Yang is very accessible. Many of his long term students (15 years +) have commuted from Youngstown and also Cincinati (forget the spelling).

His own students teaching would tell you its better to go to him than any of us.

Come up and look over the school and training. Its got to match both ways. His prices are reasonable.

Simply listen and train. The classes are for learning and not training. He expects students to do that on their own. Train on your own and it will show. Thats the real way to impress him.

djphrenzy
09-09-2001, 07:42 AM
EARTHDRAGON...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> with tradional chinese masters you have to prove yourself worthy of the information and be willing to put your time in before he sees you as a serious sutdent. [/quote]

This is why I asked, I didn't know how exactly this kind of thing works, and I wanted to know how to properly approach him about it. I assumed there was some sort of protocol about proving oneself prior to studying directly under a master, and I don't want to show any disrespect. If I need to study under his students for some time, then so be it.

RAF...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> His own students teaching would tell you its better to go to him than any of us. [/quote]

What do you mean by that? Could you please elaborate?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Simply listen and train. The classes are for learning and not training. He expects students to do that on their own. Train on your own and it will show. Thats the real way to impress him. [/quote]

Could you please explain this statement more? I am not currently enrolled in his school if that's what you are refering to.

Enrolling in the school as a weekly student probably won't work. I need private lessons to make this work, simply because my work schedule will only allow me to get up there twice a month at best. I've gotta eat, no way around that. I can devote an hour or more everyday to training, but getting up there is 6 hours worth of driving so...

Thanks alot- :D

Steve "Phrenzy"
Hope to study Mantis
Once again "Sifu-less"

RAF
09-09-2001, 05:36 PM
Well, I can't speak for all his students but myself, Jim Finley (his top student) and Melissa Berry would certainly recommend you go to the source rather than the tributary. I am simply deferring to his knowledge and none of his students are at his level.

Many students expect the class to be the training session: It is not! You learn how to train and the rest is on your shoulders. I hated that for a good 8 years and wasted valuable time not doing it on my own. He can tell if you train or not by the movement, flavor and most importantly, stance work.

I think you would really like him but, again, the training is up to you. So the distance may be less of a problem than you think regarding material. However, self motivation, to train on your own, is a killer for everyone,

Hope to see you therre sometime. I no longer do mantis but really appreciate its flavor and style.

baji-fist
09-09-2001, 08:06 PM
Master Yang is pretty open to those want private lessons, I think at least. He had one student who used to visit him every once in a while from Texas, and he turned out to become quite good. I think the best way is to ask him at the tournament this October. Sadly I won't be able to go this year to meet up with RAF and the other Wutan Ohio guys, but I wish you the best in your search.

RAF,

Hey bro!!! I can't make it this year to the tournament. It is finally comfirmed...I am really bummed out about it. But Sifu Wong, Aaron, and one of my other kung fu brothers will be going. I will definintely be coming down next year to compete in the Baji, Preying Mantis, and Chen Taiji divisions. I still don think my baji is up to par yet. BTW how is everybody in Ohio? Please give my best to Yang Lao-shi and to the whole group.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

djphrenzy
09-09-2001, 08:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Many students expect the class to be the training session: It is not! You learn how to train and the rest is on your shoulders. [/quote]

I can appreciate that. Really that is best for me since I'm only going to be able to get up to the school a couple times a month. This will allow me to bring home what I learn, and train on a more frequent basis.

Also, What's your name RAF...I'll look for you at the tournament and say hello.

Thanks for the info-

Steve "Phrenzy"
Hope to study Mantis
Once again "Sifu-less"

RAF
09-09-2001, 09:38 PM
RAF = Robert A. Figler

I will be there. I think this will be the best tournament yet.

The Qingdao group is really into mantis. The 1st place winner from Qingdao, Allan (Xiaobing) has already arrived. He won with Tong Bei and supposedly does an excellent 3 sectional staff.

See you there.

djphrenzy
09-10-2001, 01:55 AM
I just called Master Yang about 5 minutes ago. I pretty much just told him that I was interested in learning from him, that I am a total beginner, and that I can come up there about twice a month.

He said that we could work something out. He suggested that I could drive up every other Saturday, train (learn) Saturday afternoon. Stay Saturday night, and train (learn) Sunday morning and afternoon. Then drive home Sunday evening.

This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind, so that works out very well. He said that I should track him down at the tournament and we can talk more about it.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully this will work out. :D

Steve "Phrenzy"
Hope to study Mantis
Once again "Sifu-less"