PDA

View Full Version : OBAMArtial arts!

GeneChing
11-19-2009, 11:13 AM
O-bam-a! U.S. President shows off his martial arts skills on visit to South Korea (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1229312/O-bam-U-S-President-shows-martial-arts-skills-visit-South-Korea.html)
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 5:43 PM on 19th November 2009

He's already known for his moves on the basketball court and the dance floor.

But Barack Obama is not letting the world forget about the other moves he has in his arsenal.

Taking advantage of a trip to South Korea today, he showed off his tae kwon do skills to President Lee Myung-bak.

Bam! President Barack Obama shows off his tae kwon do skills as President Lee Myung-Bak looks approving at the presidential palace in Seoul today

Mr Obama struck his pose after his South Korean counterpart gave him a tae kwon do uniform and black belt as a gift during their summit talks.

The president is known to have studied the martial art for four years from 2001, when he was a junior senator in Illinois.

He took just as firm a stance politically today when he joined forces with President Lee to pressure North Korea to fall in line and return to nuclear talks.

And they agreed to push for progress on approving a bilateral free trade deal that has yet to be ratified by legislatures in either country two years after it was signed.

'The thing I want to emphasise is that President Lee and I both agree we want to break the pattern that existed in the past, in which North Korea behaves in a provocative fashion, and then is willing to return to talk ... and then that leads to seeking further concessions,' Mr Obama said.
Mr Obama was also mobbed by U.S. soldiers upon his arrival at Osan Air Base in Osan, South Korea today

Mr Lee, standing beside Mr Obama at a news conference after their bilateral meeting in Seoul, said that North Korea could hope for massive economic aid if it renounces its nuclear arms ambitions.

'I hope that by accepting our proposal, the North will secure safety for itself, improve the quality of life for its people, and open the path to a new future,' Mr Lee said.

North Korea rattled regional security just ahead of Mr Obama's first visit to Seoul since taking office by sparking a naval fight with the South and telling the world early this month it had produced a fresh batch of arms-grade plutonium.

The United States, South Korea and Japan have cranked up pressure on the destitute North by squeezing lines of finance to get it back to six-country negotiations on its nuclear programme.

Mr Obama said the door was open for resolving the nuclear stand-off and a special envoy, Stephen Bosworth, would go to Pyongyang on December 8 for talks.

However he added Washington was determined not to distracted by 'side issues' thrown up by North Korea.

He is due to return to the United States today after his Asian tour.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/11/19/article-1229312-07469209000005DC-647_634x472.jpg
Bam! President Barack Obama shows off his tae kwon do skills as President Lee Myung-Bak looks approving at the presidential palace in Seoul today

Lucas
11-19-2009, 11:23 AM
well thats one way to get a TKD black belt...have the president of south korea give you one!

Curious if anyone knows, is Mr. Obama a ranked blackbelt from his 4 years of training?

xcakid
11-20-2009, 10:43 AM
well thats one way to get a TKD black belt...have the president of south korea give you one!

Curious if anyone knows, is Mr. Obama a ranked blackbelt from his 4 years of training?

Or you can take a class for a year or two here in the US and get a 3rd Degree.

zhugeliang
11-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't know a thing about taekwando, but I didn't think it's possible to get a black belt after just four years of training? I thought six years? Or maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

AdrianK
11-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Six years? Some places will give it to you in six months... :|

As for Obama, Putin would wreck that ass :D

Lucas
11-20-2009, 06:22 PM
im pretty sure putin is the most hard core world leader in existance right now. in a one on one death match rage in da cage sense.