PDA

View Full Version : What make your style your style?

SPJ
11-20-2009, 07:51 AM
all styles have punches and kicks.

so we all fight like a boxer that kicks.

all styles have throws

so we all fight like judo or shuai jiao

all styles have some ground games or not.

so we all fight like a BJJ/MMA.

--

so what make your style "different" from other style?

Dragonzbane76
11-20-2009, 08:25 AM
MMA couldn't be considered a style could it? it's an incorporation of all styles.

sanjuro_ronin
11-20-2009, 08:49 AM
MMA couldn't be considered a style could it? it's an incorporation of all styles.

Originally MMA was simply a rule set, it is now trained as a "system".

What makes my style, my style?
Its mine.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I follow the school of thought that the style does not make the practioner, rather the practioner makes the style.

Also, a good pair of bright colored pants. Because let's face it, no one wants to take a roundhouse to the face with these bad boys

http://www.martialartsmart.com/11-9kur.html (http://www.martialartsmart.com/11-9kur.html[/URL])

David Jamieson
11-20-2009, 09:11 AM
well, mostly the tea-bagging of downed opponents with photos following their defeat I guess.

and tiger claws, lots of em.

and we say hi-yah, a lot.

:-)

p.s I don't release secrets about my style. If too many people know, they'll find ways to avoid their beating. ;D

TenTigers
11-20-2009, 10:16 AM

Actually, no. There are certainly different styles of "MMA."
Different people have different foundational arts, and combine different methods.

For grappling, you can have BJJ, Judo, Shuai-Jiao, Mongolian Wrestling,Silat, etc
For striking, you can encorperate western boxing, kenpo, wing chun, whatever.
Kicking can be from other arts besides Muay Thai-although MT breaks it down easy enough and their kicks are very hard. Kyokushin's kicks are probably MT influenced, but there are fighters who have come straight out of KKS.
Each art, although sharing common techniques will still impart a different flavor or "style," on the pratitioner.

As the sport grows, you might start seeing more and more of this.

KC Elbows
11-20-2009, 11:40 AM
My style stresses striking, throwing, and takedowns from the clinch. Long range strikes are adequately represented, kicks are conservative.

Since these are the best uses of my style, that's how I use my style. My flavor of it is different than some, usually more because of differing body type than "their style" being different.

Know your style if that is your goal. Knowing your style is different than using a smattering of moves from it: if the style has validity, then there should be a body of moves that support each other, play off of each other's strengths, and offset weaknesses. Thus, if one piecemeal uses snippets of the style, one who knows the style should be aware of what must be made up for in order to maintain function in fighting.

Also, my style is not what someone told anyone my style is, it is what I made my own by testing it against as many people as reasonably possible. What I was told my style was was sometimes right and sometimes wrong: what is refined to work makes obvious what the style really is.

Since my style is not solitary, and is, like all martial arts, based on what I and another might do, then it cannot be adequately refined on my own. Martial technique, like discussion, only exists in the context of two or more people. To refine fighting technique, you must have the will to study and perform the technique until you get it right, paired with someone who, by the very nature of not wanting to be on the wrong end of the technique, has the will (and preferably, the qualifications) to try to stop you.

Since my style is not about fighting others with the same style, or others with similar styles, then how I engage in training with others must be inclusive. Provided I don't think a person is merely worthless to train with or out for trouble, I should strive to train ting jing against any reasonable stylist. To do so, I should seek to be flexible in how I train ting jing, so that the game does not favor me, but reasonably allows all an equal chance. Conversely, I should play others' games regardless of whether they have an edge at that game, so that my kung fu is about responses to any method, not just kung fu methods.

If a yang stylist wants to play push hands, I'll not do head manipulations that might be out of their rule set, I'll refrain from other techniques that are outside the purview of that drill, and I'll try to analyze actively.

If a bjj guy wants to roll, then I should roll.

If a SC guy wants to play their game, I should do that.

uki
11-20-2009, 02:49 PM
headbutting, biting, headbutting, screaming, headbutting, breaking bones, headbutting, elbows(lots of elbows) raking flesh(tiger claws), sticking fingers into undesirable openings and soft spots... oh did i mention headbutting?? :p

uki
11-20-2009, 03:22 PM
my goodness i forgot to mention that my style is probably the only one that utilizes three, 9lb iron balls as a training tool - in the form primarily of three ball juggling(this of course gives me a differential in respect to the average training program)... the ability to harmonize the art of juggling with the martial arts is highly beneficial to any martial artist, of any background, in any style, anywhere on the planet.

iron ball juggling... a martial art adjective. :cool:

Dragonzbane76
11-20-2009, 03:41 PM
glue.... industrial strength air plane glue....

I cover my body with it and fling myself upon the opponent and adhear to them and rip all there skin off when they prye me off. That's how i roll... or in the case stick.

YouKnowWho
11-20-2009, 03:44 PM
- all styles have punches and kicks.

Not all styles have round house kick, spin back kick, flying knee, ...

- all styles have throws.

Not all styles have leg lift, leg twist, hip throw, ...

You have to go outside of your style in order to complete your basic bread and butter. If you have trained MA all your life and you still don't know how to execute a "flying knee", that mean your basic offense skill is not completed IMO.

Lucas
11-20-2009, 04:01 PM
one of my favorite kicks is, like many, the sidekick. some styles have them some dont. likewise along that line, I am a big fan of the flying sidekick as well.

not often a good opportunity for that flying kick, but its an excellent suprise kick.

though with the sidekick we all know there are several versions depending on where you learn your sidekick. personally i am a fan of the chinese sidekick i learned as well as the korean sidekick i learned, both have their places but both are different as far as execution.

uki
11-21-2009, 02:18 AM
glue.... industrial strength air plane glue....

I cover my body with it and fling myself upon the opponent and adhear to them and rip all there skin off when they prye me off. That's how i roll... or in the case stick.i'll make sure i keep a bag of feathers handy to toss at you. :)

Dragonzbane76
11-21-2009, 06:25 AM
i'll make sure i keep a bag of feathers handy to toss at you.

you better. :)

uki
11-21-2009, 09:57 AM
you better.LOL. now i am not going to... i'll keep my toss a suprise. :p