PDA

View Full Version : How UFC is like WWE

SanHeChuan
11-20-2009, 10:40 AM
How UFC is like WWE (http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=4672564)

Frost
11-23-2009, 04:54 AM
All professional sports are about entertainment this is nothing new, boxing, football etc all of them, its not how good you are as how well you are marketed.

why do you think the stand up rule was brought into MMA, to stop the crowd falling asleep, the early prides did not allow hits to the head of down opponents so people shot stalled on their knees and got booed, hence the soccer kick was brought into the rules and made for far more entertaining viewing.

The difference is in the ring the fights aren’t scripted and are real

SanHeChuan
11-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Forget about the rules.

My point is who gets chosen to fight.

As the UFC tries to expand into even wider markets, how far will it go to sell the drama over proving who the best fighter is?

If the best fighter can't get a shot at the title because nobody cares to see him fight, while the 2nd tier showman rises to the top.

You can't say the UFC hasn't tried to manufacture drama. Just something that should be watched for.

In the NFL who gets to go to the superbowl isn't determined by who's popular.

Frost
11-23-2009, 07:33 AM
All one to one pro sports are a popularity contest, do you think Tim Henman got a hi seeding at Wimbledon for years because he was a great tennis player, or because he was a local lad who increased the ratings?

Do you this George Foreman made a return at the age of 40+ and was allowed to fight because he was the best out there…. Or because he was popular and it made good drama? Same goes for hollyfield……

I don’t disagree with your points, just pointing out its nothing new and nothing unusual

Hell how has randy managed to keep getting title shots, he is something like 16 and 10?

uki
11-23-2009, 04:01 PM
the mma fad is just as pathetic as the yoga fad... trendy, follow the leader-group, simple minded mentality... everyone else is jumping off the bridge so why shouldn't you? :rolleyes:

Frost
11-24-2009, 01:48 AM
the mma fad is just as pathetic as the yoga fad... trendy, follow the leader-group, simple minded mentality... everyone else is jumping off the bridge so why shouldn't you? :rolleyes:

you really need to get out more

uki
11-24-2009, 02:00 AM
you really need to get out moremeh, there are more idiots out there than on here. :p

Frost
11-24-2009, 03:18 AM
meh, there are more idiots out there than on here. :p

What’s idiotic is thinking a form of exercise older than kung fu is a fad, and that something that has been around for 50 years or so is also a fad

goju
11-24-2009, 03:27 AM
oh come on mate it is a fad:D

Frost
11-24-2009, 03:38 AM
oh come on mate it is a fad:D

a fad is something that is very popular for a short period of time... so what is a short period of time, a year, 5 years, 10years?

uki
11-24-2009, 03:46 AM
a fad is something that is very popular for a short period of time... so what is a short period of time, a year, 5 years, 10years?that's entirely dependent on ones perspective of time... is it linear, circular, layered, multi-dimensional, geological, or celestial?? although the form changes, the fad is still there... the fad of seeking an external source to feed an internal understanding. the sooner we drop all these fads and simply become ourselves, the sooner the better off we'll be. :D

goju
11-24-2009, 03:52 AM
a fad is something that is very popular for a short period of time... so what is a short period of time, a year, 5 years, 10years?

yep and mma just recieved its fad explosion happened to every martial art

Pork Chop
11-24-2009, 10:46 AM
I think the title shot situation in the ufc is a little silly.
Yes, they put on fights that the public wants to see, but it seems that all you need anymore is one good fight against a name opponent to get a title shot.
the titles don't really mean squat coz nobody really has to earn a chance to compete for one.

EDIT: The example of certain boxers (Tyson, zab Judah, foreman, holyfield, etc) getting seemingly undeserved title shots is way different. Foreman had 23 fights in his comeback run before getting a title shot and he was knocking fools out in those fights, in his first career he was a monster with 24 straight knockouts over ATG competition before facing Ali. Holyfield got a title shot after his 11th fight, but he had been an olympian and he was even brought in to lose - he received later shots based on the fact that he's an ATG & hadn't been KOd until Toney (who got popped for steroids). Tyson, I may give you, but he did KO some solid fighters leading up to his fights with Holy & Lennox. I brought up Judah, coz he's one of the few guys who I can't understand how he gets title shots. Still, none of these guys gets a title shot after their first 3 or 4 fights.

I think dana's positioning of himself; acting like a fighter when he's really just a former boxercise instructor with an amateur boxing bout or two, reeks of vince macmahon and wwe. can't stand him.

the ufc is kinda geared to meatheads in the way it's presented and advertised.
really can't be bothered to watch it anymore.
on the other hand, i probably will actually check out the next strikeforce card.

Dragonzbane76
11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Even if UFC ended tomorrow there would be something there to jump in it's place. FAD is one thing.... direction is another. UKI you live in a swamp with nothing but a computer and shrooms to eat how would you know anything about FADs.

uki
11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
the ufc is kinda geared to meatheads in the way it's presented and advertised.bingo... duh-duh, duh duh... we have a winner folks!!!

UKI you live in a swamp with nothing but a computer and shrooms to eat how would you know anything about FADs.holy hell... bawang confuses a bog with a swamp and now i live in a swamp... LOL... i live next to a bog and i haven't had shrooms in months. sheesh. :D

AdrianK
11-24-2009, 10:01 PM
What’s idiotic is thinking a form of exercise older than kung fu is a fad, and that something that has been around for 50 years or so is also a fad

Mmhm, by their logic, Frost, Kung Fu is also a fad :D (or was a fad, rather)

Frost
11-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Mmhm, by their logic, Frost, Kung Fu is also a fad :D (or was a fad, rather)

i don't think logic comes into play with some people :D

Iron_Eagle_76
12-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Last night I was watching the re-run of the Ultimate Fighter Finale from a few weeks ago. Low and behold who is Joe Rogan interviewing, Hulk Hogan. That's right, and if that wasn't bad enough, I had to hear "What you gonna do, when Hulkamania and the UFC run wild on you":rolleyes:. I do love the sport of mixed martial arts, but I am really getting sick of this BS with the UFC.

Thankfully we have Strikeforce.