PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Techniques

Lucas
11-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Just for the sake of disucssion I'd like to hear some peoples opinions about leaping attacks.

some say under the right circumstances, the right leaping attack is worth while. You see a few leaping attacks in modern MMA. Many martial art styles teach leaping attacks.

there is the aspect of leaping attacks primarily developed and used to dismount a mounted opponent when you yourself are grounded and have no other alternative. which is no longer an issue in modern times.

Many avoiding leaping attacks because you commit yourself to a trajectory you cannot change once begun. Stay grounded.

Personally, Im of the opinion that I dont want to use leaping attacks at all. Excepting possibly of a suprise attack, which is a rare, rare situation to find yourself in in the first place.

What are the most common jumping attacks you see? Jumping spin back kick. Superman punch. Flying sidekick. Flying clothesline from the top rope? hehe.

Furthermore, who here as used a leaping attack in a competative event, life encounter, or serious sparring match, successfully?

uki
11-27-2009, 11:32 AM
there is a time and a place for all things under the sun... i once laid out my moms ex-husband with a running double front kick to his chest - i fell in the horizontal position onto the asphalt... the guy was 6'4", 280lbs and he went sailing. :)

bawang
11-27-2009, 11:34 AM
lol hillbilly domestic abuse

uki
11-27-2009, 11:34 AM
lol hillbilly domestic abuseLOL. you actually made me giggle here...

Lucas
11-27-2009, 11:35 AM
there is a time and a place for all things under the sun... i once laid out my moms ex-husband with a running double front kick to his chest - i fell in the horizontal position onto the asphalt... the guy was 6'4", 280lbs and he went sailing. :)

haha thats awesome, i got a great mental film reel running in my head after i read that. you used a battle cry in my movie :D

Drake
11-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Just for the sake of disucssion I'd like to hear some peoples opinions about leaping attacks.

some say under the right circumstances, the right leaping attack is worth while. You see a few leaping attacks in modern MMA. Many martial art styles teach leaping attacks.

there is the aspect of leaping attacks primarily developed and used to dismount a mounted opponent when you yourself are grounded and have no other alternative. which is no longer an issue in modern times.

Many avoiding leaping attacks because you commit yourself to a trajectory you cannot change once begun. Stay grounded.

Personally, Im of the opinion that I dont want to use leaping attacks at all. Excepting possibly of a suprise attack, which is a rare, rare situation to find yourself in in the first place.

What are the most common jumping attacks you see? Jumping spin back kick. Superman punch. Flying sidekick. Flying clothesline from the top rope? hehe.

Furthermore, who here as used a leaping attack in a competative event, life encounter, or serious sparring match, successfully?

I had a guy try it on me once... it went badly. Did you know that you can be spun completely upside down if your attack fails? It was borderline art.

goju
11-27-2009, 11:37 AM
they can work though i am not a fan of them because it is hard to get my big ass in the air lol
this are good example of leaping attacks in a fight
http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=Zkw5WlhvcWuRpczhMZlE&tae-kwon-do-vs-muay-thai

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2009, 11:39 AM
LOL !
http://www.beijingwushuteam.com/pics/wushu/bjani.gif

Oral sex AND fighting, all in one !!

uki
11-27-2009, 11:39 AM
haha thats awesome, i got a great mental film reel running in my head after i read that. you used a battle cry in my moviethanks. it was pretty cool... we were all at this bar in the sticks in florida for the 1999 new years, my bro is playing in the bar band... my moms ex gets all drunk and punches my pregnant girlfriend in the head... i laid him out twice before the kick - two bouncers brought me to the ground and told me to calm down... i said ok, got in the car to comply and leave and the guy comes into the car after me, i kick him out of the car and just as he picks himself up i come sailing into him feet first in his solar plexus - he was divorced by my mom rather quickly after. :)

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2009, 11:40 AM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/IHateAds/teabag.jpg

goju
11-27-2009, 11:41 AM
thanks. it was pretty cool... we were all at this bar in the sticks in florida for the 1999 new years, my bro is playing in the bar band... my moms ex gets all drunk and punches my pregnant girlfriend in the head... i laid him out twice before the kick - two bouncers brought me to the ground and told me to calm down... i isaid ok, got in the car to comply and leave and the guy comes into the car after me, i ck him out of the car and just as he picks himself up i come sailing into him feet first in his solar plexus - he was divorced by my mom rather quickly after. :)

good for you man i would have sown his ass to his face for doing that :D

Lucas
11-27-2009, 11:42 AM
i clicked the smiley face!

Lion Vs. Tiger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtr_T9mL52w)

ive seen a few real life tiger vs lion encounters, and they all end up the same way.

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2009, 11:45 AM
i clicked the smiley face!

Lion Vs. Tiger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtr_T9mL52w)

ive seen a few real life tiger vs lion encounters, and they all end up the same way.

What do you mean?

Brule
11-27-2009, 11:45 AM
thanks. it was pretty cool... we were all at this bar in the sticks in florida for the 1999 new years, my bro is playing in the bar band... my moms ex gets all drunk and punches my pregnant girlfriend in the head... i laid him out twice before the kick - two bouncers brought me to the ground and told me to calm down... i said ok, got in the car to comply and leave and the guy comes into the car after me, i kick him out of the car and just as he picks himself up i come sailing into him feet first in his solar plexus - he was divorced by my mom rather quickly after. :)

I saw this once on Springer but didn't catch the end....So, were you actually the baby daddy?

goju
11-27-2009, 11:46 AM
lol that reminds me my uncle who is a tkd master happened to be a convienance store manager many moons ago and he had this costumer who was being **** with him and long story short they got into an argument and the guy spits on my uncles face

my uncle leaps over the counter punches the guy in the jaw and then runs at him and flying side kicks him right through the stores doors on to the side walk LOL!
he then grabs him and lifts him up and slams him into these little blue waist high garbage cans ahahahah! and the cops come and find the guy with his legs dangling out of the the garbage heeehheheeh

Lucas
11-27-2009, 11:46 AM
look in Uki's sig. it says dont click the smiley. i clicked it lol

uki
11-27-2009, 11:48 AM
ive seen a few real life tiger vs lion encounters, and they all end up the same way.......meow.....

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Yes, I saw that clip, my question stands though:

What do you mean?

uki
11-27-2009, 11:50 AM
So, were you actually the baby daddy?yes... unfortunately she is my ex now and i am in a bitter custody dispute. :)

Lucas
11-27-2009, 11:54 AM
oh, it has absolutely nothing to do with anything....lol

just that the lion is the 'king of the jungle' but they always get owned by tigers. im off on a tangent here but i just dont get why the lion gets the rep the tiger deserves lol. hold on ill make it on topic in a sec

hell a bangal tiger is one of the only animals that can take down a raging bull elephant on its own.

tiger vs croc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGe6GP4lALU)

tigers rarely use leaping attacks excepting during a suprise attack. and they always win!

uki
11-27-2009, 11:56 AM
tigers are supreme on the earth... the dragon is the supreme of the heavens. :D

TaichiMantis
11-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes, I saw that clip, my question stands though:

What do you mean?

ADD is a wonderful thing...;):D

Lucas
11-27-2009, 11:59 AM
well its more along the lines that i was using this thread to relate some tiger related stuff to uki, cuz i know hes into the tigers.

its going to look strange to anyone but me and uki

uki
11-27-2009, 12:03 PM
cuz i know hes into the tigers.errr... i am a tiger (http://www.usbridalguide.com/special/chinesehoroscopes/Tiger.htm). :)

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2009, 12:03 PM
oh, it has absolutely nothing to do with anything....lol

just that the lion is the 'king of the jungle' but they always get owned by tigers. im off on a tangent here but i just dont get why the lion gets the rep the tiger deserves lol. hold on ill make it on topic in a sec

hell a bangal tiger is one of the only animals that can take down a raging bull elephant on its own.

tiger vs croc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGe6GP4lALU)

tigers rarely use leaping attacks excepting during a suprise attack. and they always win!

Ah dude I was looking for leaping Tiger-fu defeating the lions !!
A reaccuring patern if you will !

You suck !

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2009, 12:05 PM
ADD is a wonderful thing...;):D

Hey !!
:p

They are two different types of beast you know, Lions are social animals, Tigers are solitary predators.
Lions fight to protect, they rarely "hunt" per say, Tigers spend most of their time hunting.

uki
11-27-2009, 12:06 PM
You suck !are you a mod? is this a personal attack? :p

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2009, 12:07 PM
are you a mod? is this a personal attack? :p

It would be, if he DIDN'T suck.
:D

uki
11-27-2009, 12:08 PM
It would be, if he DIDN'T suck.clever save mate.

Lucas
11-27-2009, 12:14 PM
well that vid of the tiger is to support my viewpoint that leaping are used primarily for suprise situations from the stand point of a tiger, one of earths most powerful solitary predators, that often fights other predators itself. of course i would need to supply more video evidence of this to make my case more solid by showing times when a tiger does use a leaping attack.

Lucas
11-27-2009, 12:15 PM
errr... i am a tiger (http://www.usbridalguide.com/special/chinesehoroscopes/Tiger.htm). :)

i guess i should have said the tigers into you?

:p:D

uki
11-27-2009, 12:16 PM
well that vid of the tiger is to support my viewpoint that leaping are used primarily for suprise situations from the stand point of a tiger, one of earths most powerful solitary predators, that often fights other predators itself. of course i would need to supply more video evidence of this to make my case more solid by showing times when a tiger does use a leaping attack.we value our stealthy suprise... it works so well that people actually think they can fool us by wearing a mask on the back of their heads. :D

Lucas
11-27-2009, 12:19 PM
"There are several successful methods being used to discourage attacks on humans. These include setting up clay dummies that smell and look like humans, but give tigers an electric shock if attacked; having jungle workers wear a face mask on the back of their head (tigers don't like to attack from the front), or having workers carry a club over their right shoulder (tigers usually attack humans on the right nape); and releasing game into the reserves to increase the tigers' food supply."

uki
11-27-2009, 12:21 PM
"There are several successful methods being used to discourage attacks on humans. These include setting up clay dummies that smell and look like humans, but give tigers an electric shock if attacked; having jungle workers wear a face mask on the back of their head (tigers don't like to attack from the front), or having workers carry a club over their right shoulder (tigers usually attack humans on the right nape); and releasing game into the reserves to increase the tigers' food supply."those sneaky little *******s...

uki
11-27-2009, 12:23 PM
this reminds me... someone told me that the latin term for left-handed is sinister... LOL... therefore a tiger that attacked on the left side of the nape would truly deliver a sinister suprise. :p

uki
11-27-2009, 12:30 PM
so far it seems that the best jumping attacks are those that catch the opponent off guard... they serve as a good fight ender if used when your opponent is collecting themselves from another mode of attack... despite the sacrifice that one takes when executing, leaping attacks serve their purpose with a proper amount of luck, timing, and courage to take an extra risk to ensure a most positive end to most any confrontation. :)

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Do love them female tigers
http://www.celebforyou.com/d/14642-3/vida+guerra+sexy+tiger+skin+back.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
11-27-2009, 01:35 PM
words fail me
http://www.greatfunnypictures.com/pictures/45_sexy6.jpg

Lee Chiang Po
11-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow! What great big eyes you have there tiger.

I have used a quick forward leaping kick to good effect a few times. While punching at an opponent he was retreating and slapping my hands to deflect my punches, and in persuing him I would make a short leap forward to close the gap and fire a straight heel kick into his hip. This took him by surprise and spun him to his left, and I was on him before he could recover. Not a good solid kick, but enough to disrupt his retreat and defense. I would never use a high kick and never anything but a forward low kick. I would use them often. Seldom if ever a side kick.

The best prevention of tiger attack is to shoot them all. Unless of course it is a big eyed tiger.

LCP

Drake
11-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I love how people compare the integrity of techniques to how well it works for a tiger that weighs hundreds of pounds more than humans, has claws that make even the fiercest fu jau look like patty cake, and teeth that can shatter bone. Add that with the fact that being hit by a running and jumping tiger is much like being hit by a truck.

Even at your finest, you will only amount to a miniscule degree of the lethality of this beast. What works for a tiger will only result in you landing on your bum and looking the fool. You are not a tiger. You are an awkward, physically inferior to most of the wild kingdom, slow moving biped who only survived due to an opposable thumb and the ability to level the playing field by making tools. Reality is knocking.

Lucas
11-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Sir you jest! or you could have mistaken our jesting for a serious portion of the jumping attack discussion. to clear up any misunderstanding, the tiger portion of this thread is all tom foolery

Lucas
11-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Wow! What great big eyes you have there tiger.

I have used a quick forward leaping kick to good effect a few times. While punching at an opponent he was retreating and slapping my hands to deflect my punches, and in persuing him I would make a short leap forward to close the gap and fire a straight heel kick into his hip. This took him by surprise and spun him to his left, and I was on him before he could recover. Not a good solid kick, but enough to disrupt his retreat and defense. I would never use a high kick and never anything but a forward low kick. I would use them often. Seldom if ever a side kick.

The best prevention of tiger attack is to shoot them all. Unless of course it is a big eyed tiger.

LCP

thats also the part of sparring that i dont like. you can get away with A LOT more in a sparring match. i used to love to do that little move where you throw lightly commited a roundhouse with one leg then jump with your real kick off of the other leg. which actually in sparring worked a lot of the time when it was set up right...the cool thing is that you dont have to commit to the second portion of the attack if your feignt doesnt work.

i stopped doing that though because, while its fun, its to darn risky to have as a reaction.

uki
11-28-2009, 02:18 AM
I Add that with the fact that being hit by a running and jumping tiger is much like being hit by a truck.thanks for reminding me... this is the better part of the effectiveness of leaping attacks, as they do have ones entire body weight behind the impact... whats that good ole mathematical equation??? mass+velocity=force or something to that end...

Even at your finest, you will only amount to a miniscule degree of the lethality of this beast. What works for a tiger will only result in you landing on your bum and looking the fool. You are not a tiger. You are an awkward, physically inferior to most of the wild kingdom, slow moving biped who only survived due to an opposable thumb and the ability to level the playing field by making tools. you sir are truly beyond hope... not that i believe in hope or anything. reflecting over the years, i count my hearing problem a blessing for keeping me out of the military - i value my free and open mind that has not been conditioned to believe the lies of the world.

Reality is knocking.LOL... what... are you scared to answer the door still?? it's a whole new world when reality is embraced sir. :p

to clear up any misunderstanding, the tiger portion of this thread is all tom foolery.and tom is definitely still fooled and listening to his door being knocked on in fright!! :D

Lee Chiang Po
11-28-2009, 03:58 PM
thats also the part of sparring that i dont like. you can get away with A LOT more in a sparring match. i used to love to do that little move where you throw lightly commited a roundhouse with one leg then jump with your real kick off of the other leg. which actually in sparring worked a lot of the time when it was set up right...the cool thing is that you dont have to commit to the second portion of the attack if your feignt doesnt work.

i stopped doing that though because, while its fun, its to darn risky to have as a reaction.

This is why I will only kick forward and low, waist high generally. I can put more direct power into it and if it misses I still have my center protected. Kicking to me is usually a harrassment that will drop the defenses of an opponent long enough for me to enter on him. And sometimes I might get in a really good, hard shot that would bring him down. Side kicking low to waist is an option, but I would seldom every use it. A side kick can be absolutely devestating if it has enough power behind it.
I do Wing Chun so I never actually trained high kicking. I have a very good Korean friend that is a black belt TKD. He does all sorts of high and medium kicks. Lots of power. But I personally am not built in a way so that my kicking would include this type of kick. I would not be able to do it well enough to be safe in doing it. So I stay with what I can do easily and safely. I agree. High kicks are running a risk.

LCP

Xiao3 Meng4
11-28-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GJUX6i4_To

TenTigers
11-28-2009, 06:59 PM
plus, Tigers can make you smell sorta like popcorn for the rest of the day.