PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Magazine Tournament/demonstration

Ray Pina
11-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm down for holding it in sunny Puerto Rico but would travel to participate.

Two venues:

Venue A: Technology venue

Round mat discussion where principles can be challenged technically. No winners or losers. Just demonstration of principles. I know if my internal master would go he could demonstrate unique weight borrowing principles. Also "short power" from touching distance.

I would personally like to see throw set ups.

Venue B: Single 10 minute round match under pre agreed upon rules (techniques, targets, gear)

In a perfect world there would also be submission push hands. Start from traditional positions (wing chun, S Mantis, Tai Chi) and play to submission. Full striking, locks, throws, etc.

uki
11-28-2009, 01:51 PM
i can't go to some sunny and volcanicly active coral reef, but i am game here on the mainland somewhere - gene could make a special issue out of it. :)

uki
11-29-2009, 01:58 AM
oooohh... we can hold the matches lei tai style... i always wanted to fight a lei tai for sh!ts and giggles, but i hate wearing gear. :)

uki
11-29-2009, 01:52 PM
i think ray is going alittle stir crazy on his island there... recess just isn't fun with a yard full of bullies. :D

TenTigers
11-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I do this on a regular basis. I have a select group of friends, all highly skilled Martial artists. The best I've seen. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Kali, BJJ, wrestling, grappling, weapons, etc. We've created a sort of "Lab," where we share and exchange information, technique, skills,etc. Then we go back to our respective homes and schools and bring up the level of our arts and our students.
This is something that my teachers have done, and theirs before them.
It is nothing new, and should be done by all.
Only recently, have MAists closed themselves off from outside systems, mostly due to fear of losing money(students) or credibility, or both. In one generation, many MAists have successfully destroyed what it took many generations to create.

KC Elbows
11-29-2009, 02:26 PM
I do this on a regular basis. I have a select group of friends, all highly skilled Martial artists. The best I've seen. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Kali, BJJ, wrestling, grappling, weapons, etc. We've created a sort of "Lab," where we share and exchange information, technique, skills,etc. Then we go back to our respective homes and schools and bring up the level of our arts and our students.

Funny, we do this as well, and we call it "the lab".

Ray Pina
11-30-2009, 08:14 AM
i think ray is going alittle stir crazy on his island there... recess just isn't fun with a yard full of bullies. :D

Maybe. Sign me up. We can play on the Le Tie with no gear.

I'd love to train some throwing with guys here who are good at that. And push hands to submissions is just fun.

David Jamieson
11-30-2009, 08:35 AM
This is something that my teachers have done, and theirs before them.
It is nothing new, and should be done by all.
Only recently, have MAists closed themselves off from outside systems, mostly due to fear of losing money(students) or credibility, or both. In one generation, many MAists have successfully destroyed what it took many generations to create.

You can have a city of 10 million people and it only takes one of them to cause extreme chaos.

The great works one person can do, or obversely, the great harm only one person can bring says a lot about the power of individual decisions and actions.

A startling reality, a sad truth, a beacon to keep an eye on. :)

uki
11-30-2009, 08:51 AM
I'd love to train some throwing with guys here who are good at that. And push hands to submissions is just fun.i like being the one thrown, it helps me counter the throws... push hands to ground submission is also fun.

Ray Pina
11-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I hate getting thrown it gets me mad.... and I hate this little Judo *** black belt who comes around to our training and always wants to play just throws and leaves. It helps me improve, but he's ****y walking around the BJJ class with his Judo Black belt and I can kick his as and he knows it. Why don't we ever play Let's Fight?

GeneChing
11-30-2009, 10:10 AM
But please don't call your event a "Kung Fu Magazine Tournament/demonstration". That's our name brand and there are proper channels for such things. How would you feel if we threw a Ray Pina tournament here? That's just not proper etiquette.

David Jamieson
11-30-2009, 01:40 PM
I on the other hand would be honoured to have an event called the "David Jamieson Kicks you in the balls tournament- featuring members of the kfm forum"

It would entail me kicking people in the nuts and the last one standing, I would by a copy of kfm right fresh off the stand for them and I'd even call and ambulance for everyone else as a consolation prize.

:D

Dragonzbane76
11-30-2009, 02:49 PM
and what's second prize???:D

uki
11-30-2009, 03:51 PM
and what's second prize??a special edition audio set of the award winning language series, "english with bawang." :D

lkfmdc
11-30-2009, 06:42 PM
But please don't call your event a "Kung Fu Magazine Tournament/demonstration". That's our name brand

you have to be very careful with copyrights, intellectual properties and name brands

- David Ross
Founder, Gene Ching's Naked Ninjette Nacho Palace (tm)

Xiao3 Meng4
11-30-2009, 07:23 PM
I'll go, if it's held in North America.

During a warm season, on a weekend.

At the new moon.

With Nacho Ninjettes.

Nah, I'm kidding. Just the ninjettes'll be fine.

uki
12-01-2009, 03:52 AM
it should be outside, held pow-wow style, complete with a bonfire, bbq, beer, etc, etc... i am only setting one pre-condition, i am only playing with you guys after i eat my magic mushrooms - they give me all my martial arts special powers. :p