PDA

View Full Version : choh ma or turning stance

Steeeve
11-29-2009, 05:26 PM
whats about the turning stance ....turn in the heel the middle or the ball of the foot(some like to talk about the K1 acupuncture point:D whats the pro and con s:)

again some style or wc player have some difference but the song remain the same

ittokaos
11-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Ok, so I spoke to my sifu again and he clarified something for me. He says that you always have the k1 point touching the ground and that it depends on why you are turning to begin with. If you are using the turn for evasion then the turn is more toward the center of the foot. If you are turning to strike then it must come from your heel. Both should have a sinking feeling as you turn. He calls it "falling into the turn". If you are using it for striking be sure to drive the heel down in order to better throw your weight towards the opponent. I hope this helps.

grasshopper 2.0
11-29-2009, 09:36 PM
In terms of training and practice, I strive to turn on the centre of the foot. But once the function of that is found, you can turn on heel or toes and still make it all work.

in the heat of the battle, it won't matter where the turn is performed...and i'm pretty sure the guy you're facing won't care either! ;)

Lee Chiang Po
11-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I find that turning on the middle of the foot requires the entire foot to be in contact with the floor, which then gives drag in both directions. And if you shift on your toes, You must lift your weight up on the ball of the foot and move it several inches to one side and put it back down again. The turn on the heel will give you a spin in place, which is quicker and easier to do. It also gives you a solid Contact with the ground when You apply force. Any action you perform in addition to the turn will take additional time. To your eye it may be neglegable, but could actually make a difference. spinning or turning is done on the heel, and shifting is done on the ball of the foot.

LCP

hpclub
11-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Check out the link I started a few weeks ago.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55607

Yoshiyahu
12-01-2009, 07:57 AM
How you practice will predict how well you apply the turning of the balls, heels or middle point.

Many people say this one is better for this reason. All aspects have advantages and disadvantages. Through practice you understand those pro and cons.

Steeeve
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
a lot of peoples said if u turn on the balls ( i mean the balls of the foot:D u lost the axis of the centerline ... thats way ur punch for exemple have less reach....

since u shift all the weight to one leg....if u turn in the ball ur stance have to be 30/70or 0/100
weight distribution .....and turn a full 90 degree of ur body ....turn in the heel you have to turn 45 degree and keep a weight distrubution of 50/50 or maybe 60/40....

thats to keep the structure of the body

Steeeve
12-04-2009, 02:22 PM
no response i think u dont understood what i mean:)

hulkout
12-15-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm a bit confused when people say to turn on the middle of the foot. How is that possible? There's nothing there. Your arch is in the middle of your foot. The only parts that make contact with the ground are the heel and the front or ball of your foot. Personally, I turn on the balls of my feet. I tried turning on my heels, but I'm not as stable or as fast that way.