PDA

View Full Version : Prospective student seeks a "style"

conebeckham
10-29-2001, 01:32 AM
Being a relatively outta shape 35 year old, nonathletic and maybe 25 lbs. over what he wants to be....and having a long-time relationship with Buddhism...and being appreciative of the grace of Kung Fu practitioners in general...I ask you experienced folks:

What "style" or tradition should I look into?
I'd like to find a class I could do a couple times a week, and learn forms that would increase my flexibility, stamina, and energy level, as well as my general fitness level...and I'd like to learn soemthing I can practice on my own, at home...

all these styles confuse poor me...

I'm looking for something traditional, with a balance between "internal" and "external," but with an external focus...

In my neighborhood (Richmond / El Cerrito, CA) we have: 8 Step Mantis, Choy li Fut, Shaolin, Wing Chun, etc...and there's a guy who teaches "Shaolin Wushu Eagle Claw" under the auspices of El Cerrito...

Interested in the opinions of those of you out there who can point a beginner in a direction..

thanks!

Sharky
10-29-2001, 01:42 AM
you don't want to learn how to fight then? geez.

fair enough. you're lucky to have all that stuff on offer.

but i'm getting sick of people posting these kind of threads. GO AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Kung Lek
10-29-2001, 01:47 AM
hmmmmn.

Try the ones you can, decide where you are most comfortable and go there. :)

The only things you need to do to learn Kung Fu are:

1.Begin
2.Continue

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Water Dragon
10-29-2001, 02:51 AM
Forget about style.
Find a good teacher.
Learn whatever they teach.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Ky-Fi
10-29-2001, 02:59 AM
I would second Water Dragon's opinion.

There's a lot of different aspects to CMA---fighting, health, tradition, philosophy, morality, competition, art.....find a teacher who emphasizes what you're interested in and who has the right balance of those things that you're looking for.

brassmonkey
10-29-2001, 01:43 PM
I can't remember where I read it, probably Adam Hsu's book but it went alil like this
Good system + good teacher + good student= good skill, take away 1 of the equations and your left with less then good skill. Personally some common styles you could find possibly that I would check out would be:
1. Hsing I
2. Shui Chiao
3. Baguazhang
4. Old School Judo
5. BJJ
6. Eskrima
7. Baji
8. Taichichuan

This just gives you a basis of what I would look for first, there are more, some maybe better but at least these don't have 100 forms and are practical from all accounts I've heard with a competent teacher. Hope you have a discerning eye and good luck in choosing.

Wongsifu
10-29-2001, 04:52 PM
i think a good idea is like the others said try them out and come back and ask things like why is this like this , nothing to be worried about instructors love new people going in to classes ....

Sorry for the other guys snapping but we get loads of posts like this..

its hard to explain kung fu to someone who hasnt been there its like asking how fast is a ferrari , if youve only driven trucks.

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

shaolinboxer
10-29-2001, 05:17 PM
When you do go to look at the schools, I advise checking out but not paying to much attention to the advanced classes (if you go see them). Look at what the beginners are doing, and how the teachers interact with them. You are going to be in that situation for a while.

Other wise, listen to your body and don't over do it. It is very frustrating to begin training, love it, over do it, and be injured for 2 weeks to a month.

Good luck!

S.Teebas
10-29-2001, 06:21 PM
Buy the sounds of what you say i think you should learn Cho Lay Fut.

soy
10-29-2001, 10:54 PM
I agree with the person above.

Style is meaningless. Find a good teacher. Find a school that is comfortable and suits you well. Learn what ever they will teach you. Train hard and excercise focus.

Always remember, gradual increases of stress result in gradual increases of power.

jun_erh
10-30-2001, 02:20 AM
is there a martial arts supply store in your area? check out the books there. I spent a year reading and just learning how to sort of "speak the language". Also, get a smaller gym bag and practice kicking and punching. I'd personally recommend one book in particular, though others may disagree or not heard of it. It's called "Home Training" by Mike Young. I think it may be a good place to start for you. Good Luck. My first Kung Fu related purchase was on The Drunken Monkey form, don't you start there. :D

conebeckham
11-05-2001, 09:58 PM
Okay, thanks to all of you for helping out a newbie...

I'm strongly leaning toward Lei Hung CMAI in Richmond, CA....anyone got any feedback for me? You can e-mail me privately--

thanks, Again--
Cone
conebeckhamNO_SPAM@yahoo.com