PDA

View Full Version : What have you done for your system?

KC Elbows
12-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Having been around here for awhile, I'm fairly aware of the change in attitudes of many practitioners here. While there are some who like to lament the state of kung fu, the reality is that the dreamers are, while still quite vocal, limited to a smaller number of personalities than when I started here. A much smaller number.

As here, in the actual world, the diminished state of much of the kung fu competition scene(in the sense of the old forms/continuous sparring based comps) has weakened the schools of dreamers.

The other schools have generally been moving toward a more open view, and tend to cross hands with a wider array of martial artists, and tend to be more progressive(or, if you will, more traditional) in their view of the need to train their style to practical proficiency, regardless of the cries of alarmists. I can say this, because no one here does my style, so I have no bias regarding this, it is the truth.

For that group, the constant litany of "oh the lamentable state of kung fu" not only denies their progressive efforts, but forces them into a position of being in the middle of an argument between the dreamers, and practitioners of other styles who have no personal reason to give them a break or credit, and who, frankly, agreeing with does nothing useful for kung fu, anyway. It also denies the FACT that the lamentable state of kung fu is something they were handed, and chose to help improve.

So, if you've done something good for your line of kung fu, whether cross training and being more open to outside influences, preserving functional methods, or otherwise, post it here.

Me:

I am one of a handful of teachers in my line of my system here. Given permission to teach, I chose not to, but instead one of the others and I began a long process of reforming the training methodology a couple years back. I pushed for the removal of forms that were not traditionally part of the system, as did two other teachers. This narrowed the focus to one empty hand form and one spear set. I then began working with that same instructor to work live drills, testing the system as we knew it. To support this, I studied a number of sources, including four different Shuai Jiao books in Chinese and English and a number of judo texts for reference to throws that resembled throws in our system, books from a number of wudang styles with similar striking methodologies, Chen style under two different teachers in Henan for elements that resembled aspects of our system that were emphasized, but still not fully clear, every source available from any system on spear(still in progress), a large number of books on san shou, and a number of texts on qin na(still in progress.)

Through live drills, I learned a tremendous amount about the system, as did my training partner, until the friend and teacher who taught us the system began to routinely say that he was learning the system now from us, and he joined in these drills, expanding the project.

I have worked doggedly on designing a training regimen to capture this aliveness and take the center of training off of repetition of the form and application practice, and move it toward an understanding that the system is not a practice done alone when a choice is there, but instead represents a combination of energies. Since our line already worked out extensively, and included a good number of people cross training in bjj and training for mma, this has led to myself being exposed to more methods and forced me to find my style's answer to those methods while going against younger, stronger people. That group seems to highly respect what I know, though I teach no one, but instead work toward improving the training methodology of our line so that they can have better training partners, so that the line can have better teachers and fighters.

I work and do school full time, and have no money or time to compete in any practical sense. Hopefully, next year I will be pursuing my masters and attending law school, and hopefully working as a TA to pay tuition and have a stipend. Still, I train on a regular schedule, and swim and play water polo now while my knee heals from a dislocation from a throw gone wrong. When I say I study various books an fighting methodology, I mean it: they are dog eared, and have numerous notes, highlighted areas, and tabs for those points I feel important. I am selective in sources, and constantly develop theories that are then proven or disproven.

I have always been referred to as talented. In China, I turned away many teachers, and those I had referred to me as 聪明 regarding kung fu. However, I always noted that those saying these things were just like me, and perhaps I have some talent, but it would be nothing without some focus and honesty in my training, and good training partners, and even then, I know that, regarding full contact, I got into the game late. So I try to make my line fertile ground for those who follow me, and use my talent and intelligence to make their training lead to places I may never see.

As such, I am highly critical of those who, ignorant of even the slightest details of the lives of kung fu men who truly have full contact skills, lump all together with the scam artists and loud mouthed mediocrities of the world. Even where there is room for improvement, such people do not truly care about the furtherance of kung fu. I have been in many kinds of martial arts schools, and I know how many, in all styles, ignorantly talk about how much better they are than all others: this path leads nowhere, and when I was studying the system under my friend, I was caustic toward any such behavior on student's part, giving a harsh education on talk versus training. Let others fall down that route, while we work on improving ours.

I am told I am a sifu, but I teach no one. There are those who steal my kung fu, and that is fine, but they must understand it from me doing it in resisting manners, because that is the only place it should exist.

This post required two beers.:D

Lucas
12-02-2009, 03:47 PM
As such, I am highly critical of those who, ignorant of even the slightest details of the lives of kung fu men who truly have full contact skills, lump all together with the scam artists and loud mouthed mediocrities of the world. Even where there is room for improvement, such people do not truly care about the furtherance of kung fu. I have been in many kinds of martial arts schools, and I know how many, in all styles, ignorantly talk about how much better they are than all others: this path leads nowhere

qft

personally, for my style, ive done next to nothing. other than remain open minded and accepting of all other styles, as well as trained my eye to be critical of what i am seeing and experiencing.

im one of those few people that dont really care or see style so much. its all just martial arts to me.

like food. mexican food is different from german food, but in the end they both turn to sh!t :D

Dragonzbane76
12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
great post KC.

I have been in many kinds of martial arts schools, and I know how many, in all styles, ignorantly talk about how much better they are than all others: this path leads nowhere, and when I was studying the system under my friend, I was caustic toward any such behavior on student's part, giving a harsh education on talk versus training. Let others fall down that route, while we work on improving ours.

this statement is about as honest a statement as you can get and very very true.

as for doing anything for my system well, I've left a lot of it behind and adapted a lot of new into myself. Base was Pai Lum/Hung gar and learned a lot from it. Opened a school after I recieved my BB years ago and started teaching and found that much of pai lum needed reforming started to do so adding in training from many other styles I was practicing at the time. But eventually got fed up with people in general and decided I liked training more than I liked teaching :p.

Me and another teacher have thought of opening another school but right now in life I have to much going on with building a house and full time work. I still train everyday almost but I promise myself I'll open another school so I can pass on some of the knowledge i've accumulated. I feel if I don't i'm not being fair to those who gave me the knowledge.

Anyways excellent post again.

Lokhopkuen
12-03-2009, 01:52 AM
I've had a bit of success promoting the philosophies, disciplines, practices and doctrines of our system though consistent long term personal practice, competition, teaching, demonstrations, martial friendship networks and international mass media.

sanjuro_ronin
12-03-2009, 07:12 AM
I have never been a fan of the "closed door" policy some Sifu's have, it destroys their system.
I don't teach anymore, family and personal reasons, but everyday is a constant journey to define and perfect my "kung fu".
I may pass it on or it may die with me, such is life.
However, I do dislike those that lament the state of kung fu and do NOTHING to better except live in their La-La land of "I have the real kung fu".
They are a disgrace to all they have learned from and to all that fought and bleed for the progression of "kung fu".
They sit on their laurels and do nothing and try to live off the supposed deeds of long dead masters that would have beaten them to an inch of their lives for being such role playing wannabes.
In short, the people that critique and chastise the "95%" that suck are for worse than those 95% because, not only do they suck far more, deep dpown they know it, they have never fought, never bleed for their "kung fu", they are nothing but the parasites that live off the lies of the "too deadly" and "i have the real kung fu".

David Jamieson
12-03-2009, 07:12 AM
The system has done more for me than I for it. :)

I practice daily, I exchange with other enthusiasts.

I'm not running a school and advertising or anything, but it's still alive.

Iron_Eagle_76
12-03-2009, 07:22 AM
I have never been a fan of the "closed door" policy some Sifu's have, it destroys their system.
I don't teach anymore, family and personal reasons, but everyday is a constant journey to define and perfect my "kung fu".
I may pass it on or it may die with me, such is life.
However, I do dislike those that lament the state of kung fu and do NOTHING to better except live in their La-La land of "I have the real kung fu".
They are a disgrace to all they have learned from and to all that fought and bleed for the progression of "kung fu".
They sit on their laurels and do nothing and try to live off the supposed deeds of long dead masters that would have beaten them to an inch of their lives for being such role playing wannabes.
In short, the people that critique and chastise the "95%" that suck are for worse than those 95% because, not only do they suck far more, deep dpown they know it, they have never fought, never bleed for their "kung fu", they are nothing but the parasites that live off the lies of the "too deadly" and "i have the real kung fu".

Awesome post! This reminds me of years back training and coming up in the Pai Lum system, my instructor would not only encourage us to cross train and visit and train with other schools and styles, he did it himself. Nothing is worst than an arrogant black belt, especially one who dodges training and sparring so not to be exposed.

I always respected humility in people, especially a black belt or advanced student who would come into a class and do beginner's basics and not preach about what they already knew or how they should not have to do this. Hell, I remember a well respected senior martial artist starting our class and lining up and doing basics and drills with all other students, which is how it should be. This went a long way in influencing how I train and how I train at other gyms/schools.

Lee Chiang Po
12-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Just go to utube and the internet and you will see that kung fu is not even close to dead. It has changed a great deal over the past few years though. Gone from combat fighting systems to posture and dance. I have watched lots of video on compititions and can easily see that it is mostly exotic posing for the camera. The winners do not necessarily have the best fighting kung fu, but have the prettiest. This has been the greatest contribution to kung fu. However, it can not and will not effect my own kung fu. And once I pass on it will effect it even less. MMA seems to have become the rage now. Dana White is making all the money, and the guys that are getting their brains scrambled are making chump change. We have one camp saying Fight, Fight, Fight. Lost souls seeking redemption? And others shouting about who's fighting system is the best. My suggestion is to get a life. There are so many things in one's life that outweigh such trivial BS.

LCP

Dragonzbane76
12-03-2009, 08:30 AM

I should add this to my NOVELA i'm composing on the other thread. :):D