PDA

View Full Version : circles in the snow.

uki
12-10-2009, 11:14 AM
just curious if anyone has any experience walking in circles doing form in the snow. :)

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2009, 11:22 AM
A GPS will take care of that.
:D

Boston Bagua
12-10-2009, 11:30 AM
I walk outside but not to get too cold or sweaty, thats where you can get invaded by evil wind(at least by Tradtional Chinese Medicine standards).

all in all you should walk on grass, stone, snow, ice, sand, mud, and any other surface to develop your tactile abilities to deal with those surfaces.

sanjuro_ronin
12-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Part of the "austere" training of Kyokushin is training in the snow, barefooted.
:mad:
I still hate the snow.

uki
12-10-2009, 11:43 AM
all in all you should walk on grass, stone, snow, ice, sand, mud, and any other surface to develop your tactile abilities to deal with those surfaces.in order to make us a more well rounded individual...

Boston Bagua
12-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Part of the "austere" training of Kyokushin is training in the snow, barefooted.
I still hate the snow.

And you live in the GREAT WHITE NORTH...

:eek::confused::D;)

dimethylsea
12-10-2009, 03:46 PM
just curious if anyone has any experience walking in circles doing form in the snow. :)

It's body tempering.. but if you do one of the kinds of bagua that has a specific power training step the snow may not do much good for developing the characteristic leg power of that kind of bagua.

The ice and mud can be good for developing general balance, just like walking on stones or poles.. or the edge of a basket.

You can't practically do the ZeZong Gao step on grass or snow turf and do it right.. unless you willing to shred the lawn and turn your circle into a mud pit. You will rip up the ground. In modern times where most grassy areas should be preserved (cause it's public land or someone's manicured lawn) a nice roughly even concrete or asphalt is the superior surface to get one's grind on.

Concrete holds up better, and you can replace shoes easier than resodding the lawn every week or two. My landlord would be annoyed if I turned his property into a pigpen. I already had to start doing my houtien lines either very light and weak on the lawn or doing them properly on the gravel drive.

I like to do chi kung style circle walking for meditation in the snow though. It's pleasant.

Fa Xing
12-10-2009, 03:52 PM
It's body tempering.. but if you do one of the kinds of bagua that has a specific power training step the snow may not do much good for developing the characteristic leg power of that kind of bagua.

The ice and mud can be good for developing general balance, just like walking on stones or poles.. or the edge of a basket.

You can't practically do the ZeZong Gao step on grass or snow turf and do it right.. unless you willing to shred the lawn and turn your circle into a mud pit. You will rip up the ground. In modern times where most grassy areas should be preserved (cause it's public land or someone's manicured lawn) a nice roughly even concrete or asphalt is the superior surface to get one's grind on.

Concrete holds up better, and you can replace shoes easier than resodding the lawn every week or two. My landlord would be annoyed if I turned his property into a pigpen. I already had to start doing my houtien lines either very light and weak on the lawn or doing them properly on the gravel drive.

I like to do chi kung style circle walking for meditation in the snow though. It's pleasant.

I had learned circle walking, single and double palm changes for Tim Cartmell a few years ago when I was still living with my parents and I would walk on the grass. Needless to say my mom wasn't too please about it. :rolleyes:

Boston Bagua
12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
be very careful of long term practice on concrete.

Asphalt is different and has a lot of give to it.

Concrete does not and is not good on the joints.

dimethylsea
12-10-2009, 04:00 PM
be very careful of long term practice on concrete.

Asphalt is different and has a lot of give to it.

Concrete does not and is not good on the joints.

Thank you for the input Dale.. but I was thinking I was a non-entity that you were ignoring.

You have no idea what I'm talking about in terms of the specific step and should be mindful of that.

And I won't make categorical statements about how to do Iron Palm or the Jiulong "lineage" mmkay?

Boston Bagua
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
you want to walk on concrete and ruin your body be my guest. Just trying to keep the real people from being hurt.

And you want to critique my skills, I am more than willing to come to you and cross hands and give you a personal demonstration.

Put up or shut up.

simple really.

dimethylsea
12-10-2009, 04:29 PM
you want to walk on concrete and ruin your body be my guest. Just trying to keep the real people from being hurt.

And you want to critique my skills, I am more than willing to come to you and cross hands and give you a personal demonstration.

Put up or shut up.

simple really.

Class Schedule for my class is

2805 Old Fort Parkway
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Wed 8:30 pm, Sun 4:30 pm.

I am always willing to give someone a full account. You slang crap first, I've never had anything to say about you and yours that wasn't complimentary or neutral.
You don't know the first thing about our methods, just as I know nothing about Iron palm. That's a mutual ignorance.

I do what I do, and I don't do what I don't do. Everyone knows where I am, and I have never turned away someone who needed proof. You wouldn't be the first of a surety. Breaking you would be alot of fun. I'd make sure to keep something to give to your teacher though. Just out of courtesy :)

Enjoy the method you do bro. I hope it works for you and in time you become the gentleman and scholar your teacher is.

Boston Bagua
12-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Acutally I am the gentleman and scholar that my teacher is.

Neither of us can stomach BS, nor people who have no ethics. You have no ethics as been shown to me and many others for your past actions.

I am different in that I will not tolerate fools and will call BS when it shows its foolish head.

Call it the caveman in me.

Lets be honest. You promote a site that sells online lessons in Baguazhang.

Have you ever met your teacher personally? Or have you just communicated with him via the internet? How many times have you been up to his school in Vancouver?

So you are going to break me with your skills learned online? not very likely.

I have traveled to Texas to train with my teacher as well as The Gathering of the Circle annually in upstate New York. I have received in-depth hands on training versus your online education in Baguazhang.

The idea is laughable that real Baguazhang or any martial art can be taught without a teacher present, nor practicing with people who know what they are doing versus a group that has no trained teacher to guide them other than some internet videos.

I will take my personal training over your online training anyday.

cerebus
12-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Hmmm.... all I can say is I really wouldn't want to ever have to fight Dale. He's not only a really big dude (and solid from what I saw, didn't look like any extra soft weight on him) but he's a HIGHLY skilled practitioner on a very combatively oriented Bagua system as well as having some SERIOUS iron-palm abilities.

Oh and....... video or it didn't happen! :D

dimethylsea
12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Dale,

Understand this.. I have been doing this for going on 11 years now. And ALL of that time I was doing lots of regular in person training with a variety of teachers. All my original bagua foundation was in person. The filipino martial arts, the jujitsu, the thai, the arnis.. all in person. I was staff at a fighting gym. All that was long before I started upgrading with the distance stuff.
The simple fact is.. that despite the fact that I could drive to Texas or DC, or even Atlanta (there is good Gao there) I find the quality and credentials of my present information source to be superior to those options, even in person.
Think about it.. with 10+ years in, lots of full contact experience, access as a "instructor and brother coach" to all the local external schools, my own school ongoing for years with regular students.... I made the call that the better information came from Canada.

Don't get it twisted.. ZeZong didn't make me dangerous. I had that long before I got what I think of as access to the "really good sh*t". I went all over the eastern US. Chicago, DC, VA Beach, NYC. All over. Trained with some amazing people. Had some wonderful times. You should understand that, you may not be someone I like.. but I recognize that you like to train.

But my present teacher has what none of them had, something I want.

We don't encourage people with access to bagua in their area to train online. They should learn in person if possible. But there are people who already had significant backgrounds in bagua and other arts who just weren't satisfied. Kept looking. Kept searching.

I was in a position you were in, are in, or will be in, where I had a school and teaching practice I could affiliate with some big name teacher, work my way onto their seminar circuit and so forth. The guys up the road in Knoxville did that with He JinBao. I could have gone back to Park's people and done that. Or any number of teachers. Lots of people will take my money.

I chose to take myself and my people in the direction that seemed best to me. Something that offered me more than a seminar or two a year's worth of guidance.

You can choose to hate me because I worked my wrath out on DeVere and that's fine.. it was a private quarrel that inflamed alot of people. I p0wned him hard though!

But the distance thing..
I decided to demote myself and relearn from the beginning. You want to disdain that.. fine. Rock on.

Boston Bagua
12-10-2009, 05:43 PM
If its what you want, then power to you.

Good luck with your training.

shawnsegler
12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I am always willing to give someone a full account

Lol. That's hilarious

cerebus
12-10-2009, 05:53 PM
The simple fact is.. that despite the fact that I could drive to Texas or DC, or even Atlanta (there is good Gao there) I find the quality and credentials of my present information source to be superior to those options, even in person.
Think about it.. with 10+ years in, lots of full contact experience, access as a "instructor and brother coach" to all the local external schools, my own school ongoing for years with regular students.... I made the call that the better information came from Canada.

Am I misunderstanding, or does that mean you feel that online training with the Canadian instructor is superior to your previous experience in person with Luo De Xiu & his people? 'Cause that's what it sounds like... :confused:

dimethylsea
12-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Am I misunderstanding, or does that mean you feel that online training with the Canadian instructor is superior to your previous experience in person with Luo De Xiu & his people? 'Cause that's what it sounds like... :confused:

With the caveat that I didn't train with Luo in person myself, just his students.. yes.. that's exactly what I'm saying.

I prefer ZeZong to YiZong.. and I would prefer it if I lived in DC or Taipei.

Boston Bagua
12-10-2009, 08:19 PM
concrete training is ok.

online training is better than actual person to person instruction.

you have some very strange views on martial arts training.

good luck with that.

dimethylsea
12-10-2009, 09:08 PM
concrete training is ok.

online training is better than actual person to person instruction.

you have some very strange views on martial arts training.

good luck with that.

Concrete training is very good for a specific type of stepping where you are working to develop grinding power and friction by sliding across the ground.
So basically.. it's good for a specific type of bufa jibengong. Not good for stamping, falling or other sorts of things.

As for the rest.. I typed up a huge response.. but on further reflection it's not a point I'm patient enough to argue.
I will however make you a wager Dale..

Jan 1, 2010 is coming up. I'm a bagua guy, you are a bagua guy. Let's give it 10 years.. and we see who is doing better (and still walking the circle) then. If I can't convince you my method worked by then I will donate a couple hundred bucks (in 2010 inflation adjusted dollars) to your favorite charity.

uki
12-11-2009, 03:39 AM
back on topic... LOL... i discovered an interesting aspect of walking circles in the snow. firstly, i kept the inside diameter of the circle about 3 feet, about four steps for one circle... as opposed to doing practice around a stationary pole or tree, walking in small circles in the snow allows one use the visual circle from your stepping as a guide for upper body movement... of course the eyes are angled down in order to view the movements and how they correspond to the circle. anyhow... i was just sharing a relatively new concept(for me) with you fellow dizzy guy's.

and if i may be so bold as to throw a friendship swat at ole dale(it's been awhile since we were online mortal enemies) i might not be able to break him and he might not be able to catch me and i might be able to lob off a few iron balls at him... then again, considering his astrological sign of the sheep(goat), i'd probably just hit him in the head with a few iron balls and it would do nothing more than p!ss him off. :D

Scott R. Brown
12-11-2009, 03:55 AM
While I am not trained in Ba Gua I do have a couple of comments:

First:

How is it possible, in a ZILLION years, that ANYONE can push uki out of a thread??? Much less his own??:eek:

Where are your aside comments relating to this present brouhaha uki?

You are letting your end down!!!:mad:

Second:

As I said, I haven't trained in Ba Gua, but I am a fan, and from what I have seen of the stepping exercises, they do not involve high impact movements. Indeed, the circle stepping I have observed involved more of a shuffle, or sliding, step.

If I am correct in my observation, then walking on concrete should not have any serious deleterious effects on the joints. It is constant impacts on the joints that causes harm when training upon hard surfaces and even this must be constant over time. Intermittent training involving repeated impacting on concrete should not be a problem for well conditioned and relatively light individuals. That means if you are over 200#, as I am sure you are Dale, then caution would be advised. But for lighter well trained individuals there should be little to no risk involved with limited intermittent training periods on concrete.

Thirdly,

For those of you who have worn down your grass, COME ON NOW!!!! You don't actually walk the same circle everyday in the same spot do you?? Use your heads, walk a different spot everyday, this preserves the grass. This should be basic knowledge for anyone training on their home turf!:)

Scott R. Brown
12-11-2009, 03:58 AM
back on topic... LOL... i discovered an interesting aspect of walking circles in the snow. firstly, i kept the inside diameter of the circle about 3 feet, about four steps for one circle... as opposed to doing practice around a stationary pole or tree, walking in small circles in the snow allows one use the visual circle from your stepping as a guide for upper body movement... of course the eyes are angled down in order to view the movements and how they correspond to the circle. anyhow... i was just sharing a relatively new concept(for me) with you fellow dizzy guy's.

and if i may be so bold as to throw a friendship swat at ole dale(it's been awhile since we were online mortal enemies) i might not be able to break him and he might not be able to catch me and i might be able to lob off a few iron balls at him... then again, considering his astrological sign of the sheep(goat), i'd probably just hit him in the head with a few iron balls and it would do nothing more than p!ss him off. :D

(Late edit to stay on topic!) Concerning circle walking in snow:

HEY!!! Stop posting before I can post mine, Now my comments criticizing your tardiness look out of place!!

Is that anyway to treat a comrade???:mad::mad::mad:

uki
12-11-2009, 04:33 AM
How is it possible, in a ZILLION years, that ANYONE can push uki out of a thread??? Much less his own??it's a near impossible. :)

For those of you who have worn down your grass, COME ON NOW!!!! You don't actually walk the same circle everyday in the same spot do you?? Use your heads, walk a different spot everyday, this preserves the grass. This should be basic knowledge for anyone training on their home turf!:)even 5 minutes of "slide-stepping" will tear up your grass. whoa though... i can see moving around the yard and changing circle sizes to create something like "bagua yard art"... imagine faking crop circles with your feet. :D

HEY!!! Stop posting before I can post mine, Now my comments criticizing your tardiness look out of place!!perhaps it's because you are naturally just out of place when i am around. :p

Is that anyway to treat a comrade???i like to call this the synchronistic luck of the tiger. :D

Boston Bagua
12-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Concrete training is very good for a specific type of stepping where you are working to develop grinding power and friction by sliding across the ground.
So basically.. it's good for a specific type of bufa jibengong. Not good for stamping, falling or other sorts of things.

As for the rest.. I typed up a huge response.. but on further reflection it's not a point I'm patient enough to argue.
I will however make you a wager Dale..

Jan 1, 2010 is coming up. I'm a bagua guy, you are a bagua guy. Let's give it 10 years.. and we see who is doing better (and still walking the circle) then. If I can't convince you my method worked by then I will donate a couple hundred bucks (in 2010 inflation adjusted dollars) to your favorite charity.

Sounds good to me.

Jan 1 2020 is a deal.

I will be around.

Dragonzbane76
12-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Uki,

I can pee in the snow and write your name in circles... i think this qualifies.

that is all.

sanjuro_ronin
12-11-2009, 06:43 AM
And you live in the GREAT WHITE NORTH...

:eek::confused::D;)

Did a session once in 30CM of snow and -20 C weather, it was freaking great !!!

Boston Bagua
12-11-2009, 07:18 AM
When I lived in Northern Japan in the late eighties early nineties, we would get tons of snow and I would sometimes train outside before submersing myself in my four foot square ofuro.

Oh that was nice. Hot water up to you neck after training like a yeti.

uki
12-11-2009, 11:40 AM
not too shabby... although i did feel somewhat like an eskimo with the boots on. :)

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff350/mossjuice/mpics032.jpg

uki
12-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Hot water up to you neck after training like a yeti.yeti's have hair... :p

uki
12-11-2009, 01:04 PM
not too shabby... although i did feel somewhat like an eskimo with the boots on. :)

deja vu'??

goju
12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
ive always wanted to spar with a bagua guy id like to see how it look when its applied:D

uki
12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
ive always wanted to spar with a bagua guy id like to see how it look when its applied.coming to pa anytime soon?? friendship sparring is nice... there is no such thing as a competition in my book. :D

Dragonzbane76
12-11-2009, 08:09 PM
book you know how to read??? :eek:

Lucas
12-11-2009, 09:53 PM
oh snap

who did you think wrote his posts?

wiz cool c
12-12-2009, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE=Boston Bagua;975589]I walk outside but not to get too cold or sweaty, thats where you can get invaded by evil wind(at least by Tradtional Chinese Medicine standards).

All my classes I take here in Beijing are outside in the park all year around, sometimes it gets real cold. Once I made the mastake of training on a cold windy day without a hat,cause almost nobody wears hats in the winter. Got a migraine that day.

Boston Bagua
12-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Hence you want to make sure you are covered up when you train.

Wind according to Traditional Chinese Medicine can cause problems. Always better to keep it where it is, outside of my body.

I bet you will not forget your hat ever again, brother.

uki
12-12-2009, 06:02 AM
oh snap

who did you think wrote his posts?i think he's running out of intellect now. :D

marilyn always taught me that the "wind steals the chi", yet in the classic fashion i retorted, "ahhh, but if the wind steals the chi, then i can steal the chi from the wind", thus began my fondness of doing my training in the extreme wind... i do not intend to step on your toes dale, i am merely speaking from experience... tigers ARE represented by the wind, so naturally they are exempt from the evils of the wind if they are in the proper mindest. i truly do love windy day training, especially cold windy days... i wear lots of wool, boots, and a hat, but i do not fear training in the wind, i feel home in it... doing jian play in the wind is another way cool experience... a great way to practice in the wind is what i call listening, this is where you root a stance and allow your upper body to be moved with the wind like a tree, yet you have to listen to which way the wind is going past your body in order to properly do it. :)

Bob Ashmore
12-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Uki,
I too do not fear training in the wind. I am also a Tiger. Coincidence? I think not. :p

It's funny what will pop up in your mind when you read about other peoples experiences with their training....
Your discussion lead me to think about a training method I have not been able to do for the last two years and that I miss very much.
Water training.
I used to have a five foot deep swimming pool in my yard. It was a round pool, 24 feet across. I used to do long forms in that pool.
I am 5'7", so my mouth and nose were just barely out of the water, actually my mouth frequently dipped below the water when I folded but I could still breath through my nose. Needle at Sea Bottom took on a whole new meaning, and Low Form was always a treat. :D
Anyway, I learned more about "rooting" from doing submersed forms than from any other single source since I started my training. If you aren't rooted in the water, you will simply float away. I had to root deeply on each and every posture or I would float up to the surface. I had a rule, when that happened I had to go back to the beginning of the form and start over, so I learned quickly to make sure I was not going to float before I moved.
Working against the constant push of the water pump was also interesting. I could face in different directions to start and the resistance of the water against my frame changed with each direction. I learned a lot about my posture this way. If I was easily pushed off by the water in a certain direction, I had to figure out where the fault was in my posture and fix it.
This was an awesome way to figure out how to maintain my balance no matter what direction force was applied against me.

Alas...
After nearly ten years in service my pool was finally too old to stand up anymore.
My teenagers and all their friends were a tad rough on it and it was just not going to make it one more season.
I did not replace it, as my home was up for sale at the time. I didn't sell the house, but I still plan to (when this darned economy turns around) so the spousal unit is dead set against putting in another pool until after we move.

Anyway, I highly recommend this method of training.
It's really fun, for one thing, so you never miss a form practice.
I had a lot of my students and fellow practicioners do forms in my pool and they all loved it as well.
I'm thinking now of the roundness of the pool and Bagua Circle Walking...
I have never trained Circle Walking, but it would seem to be a rather intersting place to do it.
Round pool....
Circle Walking...
Hmmm.............
I'll have to give it a try sometime.
But first I'll have to learn the method on dry land!

Cheers!

uki
12-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Uki,
I too do not fear training in the wind. I am also a Tiger. Coincidence? I think not.there are no co-incidences in life.

It's funny what will pop up in your mind when you read about other peoples experiences with their training....aye... that's why i come to these boards; to be an inspiration to those who will be inspired and vice versa.

Your discussion lead me to think about a training method I have not been able to do for the last two years and that I miss very much.
Water training.
I used to have a five foot deep swimming pool in my yard. It was a round pool, 24 feet across. I used to do long forms in that pool.
I am 5'7", so my mouth and nose were just barely out of the water, actually my mouth frequently dipped below the water when I folded but I could still breath through my nose. Needle at Sea Bottom took on a whole new meaning, and Low Form was always a treat.
Anyway, I learned more about "rooting" from doing submersed forms than from any other single source since I started my training. If you aren't rooted in the water, you will simply float away. I had to root deeply on each and every posture or I would float up to the surface. I had a rule, when that happened I had to go back to the beginning of the form and start over, so I learned quickly to make sure I was not going to float before I moved.
Working against the constant push of the water pump was also interesting. I could face in different directions to start and the resistance of the water against my frame changed with each direction. I learned a lot about my posture this way. If I was easily pushed off by the water in a certain direction, I had to figure out where the fault was in my posture and fix it.
This was an awesome way to figure out how to maintain my balance no matter what direction force was applied against me.

Alas...
After nearly ten years in service my pool was finally too old to stand up anymore.
My teenagers and all their friends were a tad rough on it and it was just not going to make it one more season.
I did not replace it, as my home was up for sale at the time. I didn't sell the house, but I still plan to (when this darned economy turns around) so the spousal unit is dead set against putting in another pool until after we move.

Anyway, I highly recommend this method of training.
It's really fun, for one thing, so you never miss a form practice.
I had a lot of my students and fellow practicioners do forms in my pool and they all loved it as well. nice, i too have ruminated over training in liquid and have even developed an "intention" to train with in mind... instead of water, mercury. i have devoted a whole page to the aspects of merging martial arts concepts with the understanding of mercury... good stuff. perhaps i will make a thread of it one day. :D

I'm thinking now of the roundness of the pool and Bagua Circle Walking...
I have never trained Circle Walking, but it would seem to be a rather intersting place to do it.
Round pool....
Circle Walking...
Hmmm.............
I'll have to give it a try sometime. you mean you never walked in one direction to create a whirlpool in your pool?!?!?!?!? you get that thing going round and round and then reverse your direction and root against the momentum of the eddy you have created - that'll work your rooting power. :)

But first I'll have to learn the method on dry land!makes you wonder why children like to spin around in circles...

be well friend. :)

Scott R. Brown
12-12-2009, 10:52 AM
nice, i too have ruminated over training in liquid and have even developed an "intention" to train with in mind... instead of water, mercury. i have devoted a whole page to the aspects of merging martial arts concepts with the understanding of mercury... good stuff. perhaps i will make a thread of it one day. :D

If you think training in mercury is challenging, try training in carbonite!

Here's Han Solo doing his Tiger form in carbonite:

http://trickyourblog.com/uploads/user_8/han-solo-frozen-in-carbonite_3.jpg

:D:p

Bob Ashmore
12-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Uki,
My kids and I would get that pool about ready to fall over with the force of the whirlpools we'd make. Probably what lead the most to its early demise...
And yes, I used to stand against the force and learn from the effort.
Good training. I hadn't thought of that earlier.
If that is "circle walking" than I'm an EXPERT!
I've been watching videos on circle walking. It looks deceptively easy, but I know there has to be more to it than that.
Unfortunately, I have not found anyone near enough to me with any legitmate knowledge of the art who trains Bagua to take classes.
I'll keep looking. Though WHEN I'd take classes...
I have no idea.
If I take any more classes, I might just become "single guy" instead of the "happily married guy" I have been for over twenty years.
The spousal unit is very understanding, but there are limits... :)

Dragonzbane76
12-12-2009, 01:31 PM
oh snap

who did you think wrote his posts?

I just figured he randomly bashed his head off the keyboard and what came out came out including his brains. :)

bawang
12-13-2009, 08:09 AM
for "evil wind" just drink liquor before training
it sucks tat most liquors stores dont sell rice wine

uki
12-13-2009, 08:12 AM
for "evil wind" just drink liquor before trainingthat must be the secret... LOL

Lucas
12-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I too am a goat, and I dont like the wind!

I suppose thats why we get all the free wool.

sanjuro_ronin
12-14-2009, 01:03 PM
http://www.kyokushin-monma.com/img/karate/kyokushin.jpg

uki
12-14-2009, 07:06 PM
i think the real trick for nullifying the "evil wind" is as simple as wearing a hat. :)

cerebus
12-14-2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.kyokushin-monma.com/img/karate/kyokushin.jpg

Yes, Kyokushin training. Unfortunately Mas Oyama died of pneumonia.... (or lung cancer, depending on who you ask) :(

uki
12-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Yes, Kyokushin training.obviously not the wisest of methods at any stretch of the imagination...

Unfortunately Mas Oyama died of pneumonia.... (or lung cancer, depending on who you ask)LMAO!!

sanjuro_ronin
12-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Yes, Kyokushin training. Unfortunately Mas Oyama died of pneumonia.... (or lung cancer, depending on who you ask) :(

LMAO !!
It was lung cancer cause he smoked like a *****.
I did so much of that training here, I still hate to snow because of it !
LOL !
Never got sick once though, but then again I am rarely sick at all.

sanjuro_ronin
12-15-2009, 07:15 AM
http://www.fightingmaster.com/masters/oyama/oyamaf.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
12-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Yamaguchi used to mediate and do sanchin under the icy waterfalls.
http://www.gojukai.co.za/img/history_pic1.jpg

Lucas
12-15-2009, 10:58 AM
i wish i had or could remember the name of this book. but it was a medical compilation of sorts i was reading at a doctor office once.

medical phenominon from around the world.

one of the more interesting portions of the book was in tibet i believe. the monks they were observing were able to actually increase the temperature of their bodies AND the air directly surrounding them by i believe up to 10 degrees. this was measured with instruments and so forth by the doctors and scientists there studying these monks. they sit there and meditate in the snow in their nickers, but are able to keep their body temps at a safe level to be able to withstand the element for long periods of time.

so many crazy things like that in the world. thats why part of me laughs when people discount things simply because they dont think its possible.

hell life itself is ****ing magic. explain existance NAY SAYERS!!!!!

/endminirantagainstidioticnaysayersofdoom

sanjuro_ronin
12-15-2009, 11:14 AM
i wish i had or could remember the name of this book. but it was a medical compilation of sorts i was reading at a doctor office once.

medical phenominon from around the world.

one of the more interesting portions of the book was in tibet i believe. the monks they were observing were able to actually increase the temperature of their bodies AND the air directly surrounding them by i believe up to 10 degrees. this was measured with instruments and so forth by the doctors and scientists there studying these monks. they sit there and meditate in the snow in their nickers, but are able to keep their body temps at a safe level to be able to withstand the element for long periods of time.

so many crazy things like that in the world. thats why part of me laughs when people discount things simply because they dont think its possible.

hell life itself is ****ing magic. explain existance NAY SAYERS!!!!!

/endminirantagainstidioticnaysayersofdoom

They're obviously fire benders.

Lucas
12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
haha.

been watching avatar cartoon? i just finished the first season from netflix recently. it was pretty good. i liked all the kungfu weapons.

bawang
12-15-2009, 12:13 PM
i was watching 1980s chinese patriotic cartoon commisar black cat. he massacres cute traitor bunnies and corrupt bribe taking mouse and hamsters

Lucas
12-15-2009, 12:14 PM
i was watching 1980s chinese patriotic cartoon commisar black cat. he massacres cute traitor bunnies and corrupt bribe taking mouse and hamsters

dude that sounds awesome! is it funny?

bawang
12-15-2009, 12:18 PM
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/8o39OLw7sIE/

i dont find it really funny. its old school chinese animation. it gives me warm funny feelings its good old 1980s nostalgia

its a bit different from most modern cartoons and western cartoons at that time in that he actually kills people in the episodes and shouts propaganda

on second thought yes its very funny lolol

sanjuro_ronin
12-15-2009, 12:57 PM
haha.

been watching avatar cartoon? i just finished the first season from netflix recently. it was pretty good. i liked all the kungfu weapons.

My little ones love that cartoon and I must say, like I admited to Kisu, I find it one of the best G rated cartoons I have ever scene.
We watched the whole thing twice already.

Lucas
12-15-2009, 01:20 PM
ya i definately think its one of the best all audience animated series out there. i need to netflix the rest of them.

sanjuro_ronin
12-15-2009, 01:21 PM
ya i definately think its one of the best all audience animated series out there. i need to netflix the rest of them.

The box sets are very cool and the special features are also worth it bro.

Lucas
12-15-2009, 04:07 PM
now thats a thought...but i have to save my monies for now.

Finny
12-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Don't get it twisted.. ZeZong didn't make me dangerous. I had that long before I got what I think of as access to the "really good sh*t".

You can choose to hate me because I worked my wrath out on DeVere and that's fine.. it was a private quarrel that inflamed alot of people. I p0wned him hard though!

LMAO at all of the above.

In what way did you "work your wrath out on DeVere" Brian?

Everyone knows you simply trademarked his business name and domain name behind his back and basically stole the emptyflower website for monetary gain - thinking to turn this fascinatioon of your with online training into some fast bucks.

It certainly did inflame a lot of people who enjoyed the old emptyflower - years before you even rocked up there talking your try-hard crap - because they felt they kinda owed DeVere for the years he had hosted, designed and maintained the eF forums for free.

Of course you know all this, and seem quite content to be known as the theiving POS you are.

So go back to your online training - really seems to be getting you in shape...

Now instead of moving like a early term pregnant yak, you move like one in labour.

uki
12-17-2009, 12:58 AM
LMAO at all of the above.

In what way did you "work your wrath out on DeVere" Brian?

Everyone knows you simply trademarked his business name and domain name behind his back and basically stole the emptyflower website for monetary gain - thinking to turn this fascinatioon of your with online training into some fast bucks.

It certainly did inflame a lot of people who enjoyed the old emptyflower - years before you even rocked up there talking your try-hard crap - because they felt they kinda owed DeVere for the years he had hosted, designed and maintained the eF forums for free.

Of course you know all this, and seem quite content to be known as the theiving POS you are.

So go back to your online training - really seems to be getting you in shape...

Now instead of moving like a early term pregnant yak, you move like one in labour.survival of the fittest... most basic principle of nature. LOL... don't get all bent out of shape here finny. :)

shawnsegler
12-17-2009, 02:59 PM
He doesn't sound too bent out of shape, mang.

Brian ****ed on a lot of folks doing what he did. He's an unscrupulous maggot.

It's important that people don't forget about it.

cerebus
12-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, the fact that he (Brian/ dimethylsea) actually is PROUD of what he did and BRAGS about it, well that's pretty friggin' crazy... :confused:

dimethylsea
12-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Finny,

Ain't about the money, never has been. I SPEND money on my toy... it doesn't make money. Never has. If it ever did... I'd be really surprised.

I had a beef with a guy after he told me off. I spent a couple of years settling up. I did that. Playing businessman was just part of the strategy. Just a foil for the deeper game capiche?

Battle of wits with a person who turned out to be unarmed. Imagine my surprise. Still it was fun.

Now that the caper is over I'm interested in my training and my own personal stuff. I've moved on and so should y'all. You've got the social club you want. Good on you. Enjoy your thing.

I'm enjoying what I'm doing. I have a toy I like. The fact that making it involved counting coup on a guy who you idolize shouldn't be so riveting to y'all.

Relax and do your thing. I'll do mine.

bawang
12-17-2009, 04:34 PM
internet revenge
man what a loser lol

Finny
12-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Sure sure Brian.

"Battle of Wits"?

What battle? You simply stole his business name out from under him. If you had no interest in making money or stealing someone's hard work, why not call your new online training centre "Brian's BullSh!t Online MA"???

You stole the name because you wanted the credibility that came with it.

I'm enjoying what I'm doing. I have a toy I like. The fact that making it involved counting coup on a guy who you idolize shouldn't be so riveting to y'all.

I bet you are enjoying what you're doing - training "online" where no-one can actually interact physically with you must be great.

Nothing to do with Idolising.

DeVere was the one who built the website, created the name, made his living off that name.

You stole it.

I see that as a pretty lowdown despicable action on your part.

You on the other hand seem quite proud of yourself, and happy with "your new toy"

Of course in the wonderful world of www we are free to act as we please - as you have so ably demonstrated.

Thankfully (as with the real world) - most people can spot a douchebag. Which is why you get ragged on as you have in this thread.

Now go back to your shoebox and keep practising 'online'

uki
12-17-2009, 04:51 PM
*munching popcorn*

i believe i heard somewhere that bagua practioners are the least hostile of most martial artists out there... LOL

Boston Bagua
12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
It is sad that there is ANYONE out there who thinks online training is the real deal.

Delusional to say the least.

uki
12-17-2009, 04:57 PM
It is sad that there is ANYONE out there who thinks online training is the real deal.

Delusional to say the least.i train in the wind and my teacher is almost 5 years old. :p

dimethylsea
12-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Dale,
You ever gotten a martial arts DVD and enjoyed it?

Just curious.. since you seem to think that seasoned martial artists can't get benefit from information that is not in-person.

I guess all those guys who grapple at a gym where a purple belt teaches are wasting their money buying Robert Drysdale's Nth Dimension series.. or enjoying Eddie Bravo's instructionals.

Why would they do that? Cause the DVDs are a channel to someone who knows stuff they (and maybe their coach) doesn't know. They seek to elevate their game.

I know a guy who taught as a blue and purple belt. He was all the BJJ there was in Nashville for the longest. But he trained daily and educated himself via seminars, DVDs, privates on trips and so forth.

He's a BJJ BB now.. 10 years later. Heck of a guy. Owned half of the most successful MMA gym in the city before he sold it and went into country music (heck of a singer too!).

But I guess he's crap.. because he got information not-in-person to elevate his game.

Methinks you need to rethink your instinctive hatred of my choices.

http://www.coilingdragon.com/store/images/Iron%20Palm%20DVD.jpg

"Combat Iron Palm Training Level One: Starting on the Path of the Iron Warrior,

CDIA'S unique authentic program which combines essential internal exercises coupled with external training to create internal as well as external power which can be channeled through the hands for healing or for self-defense/combat.

Shifu Dale Dugas of Coiling Dragon Internal Arts instructs on how to safely train your hands in the authentic manner. This program is for dedicated students who want to learn the old school way of training the hands.

Topics will include:
1. Equipment acquisition/construction and use
2. Use of Authentic Iron Palm medicine: what it is, when to use it.
3. The four basic methods trained.
4. Internal exercises that will propel your training to the next level!!
5. These and much much more!!

Do not miss out!!

Order your DVD today!!

Order now!!"

Finny
12-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Dale,
You ever gotten a martial arts DVD and enjoyed it?

Just curious.. since you seem to think that seasoned martial artists can't get benefit from information that is not in-person.

I guess all those guys who grapple at a gym where a purple belt teaches are wasting their money buying Robert Drysdale's Nth Dimension series.. or enjoying Eddie Bravo's instructionals.

Why would they do that? Cause the DVDs are a channel to someone who knows stuff they (and maybe their coach) doesn't know. They seek to elevate their game.

I know a guy who taught as a blue and purple belt. He was all the BJJ there was in Nashville for the longest. But he trained daily and educated himself via seminars, DVDs, privates on trips and so forth.

He's a BJJ BB now.. 10 years later. Heck of a guy. Owned half of the most successful MMA gym in the city before he sold it and went into country music (heck of a singer too!).

But I guess he's crap.. because he got information not-in-person to elevate his game.

Methinks you need to rethink your instinctive hatred of my choices.

Hahaha

Enjoyed a DVD = online instruction?

Nice analogy.

And your BJJ Blackbelt - did he grade for his BB online?

Were these "seminars, privates etc" online or in person?

False analogy Brian, you shmuck.

dimethylsea
12-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Hahaha

Enjoyed a DVD = online instruction?

Nice analogy.

And your BJJ Blackbelt - did he grade for his BB online?

Were these "seminars, privates etc" online or in person?

False analogy Brian, you shmuck.

Who said anything about belt grading online/distance? Who said that in person training was not encouraged?

Beginners with no experience should go to a local teacher if possible.

Everyone learning something via distance should seek out as much in person contact with their teacher as possible.

The higher the level of the teacher or information the more likely it is that it's worthwhile to bother doing it via distance.

The cheaper in terms of $$ costs it is.. again the more likely it is that it's worthwhile to bother doing it via distance.

If the style has lots of basics that can be done solo (like taiji and bagua, UNLIKE BJJ, Judo, SC or FMA IMO) the more likely it is that it's worthwhile to bother doing via distance.

If someone has previous experience, wants to develop a relationship with teacher and material before being out travel costs, the information/teacher is very high quality, and the costs of working via distance is low or minimal.. then it may be a good deal.

It's all about figuring out what you want and can use. Nobody I'm involved with suggests training solely via distance (and especially for beginners!!) is a way to martial skill.

Maybe qi gong or health stuff.. I'm not sure. I'm not into that area though.

wiz cool c
12-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Hence you want to make sure you are covered up when you train.

Wind according to Traditional Chinese Medicine can cause problems. Always better to keep it where it is, outside of my body.

I bet you will not forget your hat ever again, brother.

O yeah, I will never try to imitate the chinese again when it comes to dealing with the cold.

Chris-H
12-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Actually - when I first started doing bagua I was having difficulties maintaining a good circle. On a nice day, after we had received a good deal of snow I went out and made a nice circle and walked for a couple of hours, changing direction every so often. I feel that this really helped me to figure out the concept of walking around a fixed point in empty space. I think the hours spend walking the same rut in the snow kind of burned the good circle into my muscle memory or something.
I'd agree with Dale. If the wind isn't so bad, it'd be a good thing to try out. I think that if the breeze is so much that you are paying more attention to it more than your practice, then you might want to find somewhere else to practice.