PDA

View Full Version : 10 Killing Hands

SifuYui
12-11-2009, 07:58 PM
First attempt at doing an informational series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhCEIPaI5KY

Yui

mooyingmantis
12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Very nicely done!
Richard

Yum Cha
12-12-2009, 07:19 PM
This is pretty interesting stuff, I'm surprised there's not more commentary from the Hung Kuen people.

TenTigers
12-12-2009, 09:52 PM
simple, direct, and brutally effective. What all Hung Kuen techniques should be. I especially like the fact that the majority of your techniqes are stepping in and intercepting the opponent's movement/intention.

Dragonzbane76
12-12-2009, 11:16 PM
most like you stated tentiger brutal effective... some i was like ehh...

good demonstration

why i say ehh... was because i like simplisity, my preference though :)

the pincer (crab thingy) and tendon rip on neck was a little off for my liking though. but everyone to there own, just doesn't seem like something i would go for on a resistant opponent.

i liked the parry to inside lock on neck to pivot :)

taai gihk yahn
12-13-2009, 11:09 AM
tendon rip on neck
just to point out that, technically speaking, it's not a tendon you are grabbing but rather the muscle belly of sternocleidomastoid; and although it would probably hurt like a mofo getting grabbed there, good luck actually trying to rip that one on anybody...

punchdrunk
12-13-2009, 04:03 PM
thank you for sharing your video clip, it was both entertaining and informative. You are a credit to Hung kuen... too much has been kept secretive for too long. The more that great teachers of a style share the easier it is to recognize the bad ones. As a Wing Chun practitioner I can say your clip gives me faith there are still good Hung Gar schools out there, thankyou again.

Hardwork108
12-13-2009, 06:28 PM
First attempt at doing an informational series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhCEIPaI5KY

Yui

Thank you. Very interesting and to the point techniques aimed at finishing the job rather than "playing around" with the opponent. Good Kung fu. :)

HW108

SifuYui
12-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the positive responses everyone.

Taai Gihk Yahn & Dragonzbane76 - yes I agree some of this stuff is harder than others to achieve (e.g. the strike to the Coxic Bone); also, being that this is not a training video, just an informational one, I purposely did not emphasize certain things and purposely left out parts - such as with the Crab Pincer technique. The fingers should be straight rather than bent to dig into the eyes, in addition, the shape of the hand allows the middle finger's knuckle to strike the nose, thereby stunning the person first before digging the Crab Pincers into the eyes (which is difficult in of itself). As for the neck tendon rip, there is a strike to the Brachial Plexus as your hand goes in, again to stun the person first, before digging into and grabbing the sternocleidomastoid (thanks for the medical term Taai Gihk Yahn, but neck tendon is so much easier :)).

Even though I've described these two techniques in more details, I still left out some critical stuff - got to keep somethings for us Hung Ga practitioners :D

Yui

sanjuro_ronin
12-14-2009, 07:14 AM
Thank you for posting that Sifu.
A few things I learned from my sifu and which I have found work well also, if I may:

When grabbing the back of the head,make it more the back of the neck, as low as possible because that well actually cause the head to
whip back" and expose the throat when we pull the opponent.

Instead of "whipping the knuckles' into the cheekbone with the leopard fist, I whip them into the ST5 point on the Jaw.

In the "rip the tendon" I was taught 2 ways:
One is a "smack" to the carotid followed by a "rip" the other is a straight rip where the thumb digs into the carotid sinus area.

The rest was almost identical.
On a side note, most of the application I was taught were VS attempted grabs or as "coup-de grace".

Again, thanks for sharing.

Kevin73
12-14-2009, 08:09 AM
most like you stated tentiger brutal effective... some i was like ehh...

good demonstration

why i say ehh... was because i like simplisity, my preference though :)

the pincer (crab thingy) and tendon rip on neck was a little off for my liking though. but everyone to there own, just doesn't seem like something i would go for on a resistant opponent.

i liked the parry to inside lock on neck to pivot :)

I have used the "tendon rip" on two different ocasions when someone rushed at me. In those situations, I seperated the muscle/windpipe area with my thumb and the rest of the fingers curled to the back area of the neck and then I made my fist. Both times it brought the attacker to his knees where I could contain him (nature of the job to contain and not issue a beatdown).

SifuYui
12-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Sanjuro_Ronin, great info, thanks. In fact, you've posted some of what I purposely left out :)

I just wanted to clarify that I'm not using a standard Leopard Fist for the whipping strike to the cheekbone in Bomb the Face (I think that's the technique you were referring to...), I'm using a semi-closed fist, but with the thumb on the index finger. This way I'm driving the sharp middle set of knuckles downward onto the cheekbone where it meets the eye-socket.

Kevin73, great testiomonial on the use of the Neck Tendon Rip's effectiveness.

Yui

David Jamieson
12-14-2009, 09:18 AM
simple, direct, and brutally effective. What all Hung Kuen techniques should be. I especially like the fact that the majority of your techniqes are stepping in and intercepting the opponent's movement/intention.

Wait a minute, isn't all of it pretty much entering, crowding and executing the attack?

:)

I mean, to me it is. There doesn't seem to be a lot of sit back and wait in Hung.

*edit*

and good job on the clip sifuyui! :)

Hardwork108
12-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Wait a minute, isn't all of it pretty much entering, crowding and executing the attack?

:)

I mean, to me it is. There doesn't seem to be a lot of sit back and wait in Hung.

*edit*

and good job on the clip sifuyui! :)

A lot of kung fu (including Wing Chun) is supposed to be that way - no going back and just dominating the opponent's space - but unfortunately, nowadays many schools do not practice in such manner. That is why it was refreshing to see sifu Yui's video clips.

HW108

sanjuro_ronin
12-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Sanjuro_Ronin, great info, thanks. In fact, you've posted some of what I purposely left out :)

I just wanted to clarify that I'm not using a standard Leopard Fist for the whipping strike to the cheekbone in Bomb the Face (I think that's the technique you were referring to...), I'm using a semi-closed fist, but with the thumb on the index finger. This way I'm driving the sharp middle set of knuckles downward onto the cheekbone where it meets the eye-socket.

Kevin73, great testiomonial on the use of the Neck Tendon Rip's effectiveness.

Yui

It seemed very much like a "Hasayfu leopard" fist actually...
Ah, the eye socket target, yes, well done.

As for posting what you left out, sorry, my bad.
;)

TenTigers
12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
A lot of kung fu (including Wing Chun) is supposed to be that way - no going back and just dominating the opponent's space - but unfortunately, nowadays many schools do not practice in such manner. That is why it was refreshing to see sifu Yui's video clips.

HW108

that was my point. That is how Hung Kuen is supposed to be played. The trouble is, too many people don't teach it. I have seen so many "well-known "Masters" teach techniques that show the defender stepping back and blocking, sometimes up to three times, before launching a counter. Try doing that with a resisting opponent, trying to tear your head off. No Way.
In our Hung Kuen, we "attack the attack."

sanjuro_ronin
12-14-2009, 10:41 AM

"the dead can't attack".
;)

SifuYui
12-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Sanjuro_Ronin,

No need to apologize; in fact, thank you for sharing.

I knew other martial artist could fill in the gaps with their own experience, which you did. Just because I didn't want to give all my techniques away doesn't mean no one else can share their knowledge :)

That's why I did this video on the results of the 10 Killing Hands as opposed to the usual name and application. Everyone can achieve these results with their own techniques from their own style; it just so happens that these are some that we teach at New York Hung Ga.

Yui

Hardwork108
12-14-2009, 11:51 PM
that was my point. That is how Hung Kuen is supposed to be played.

It makes sense. Going back (unless it is really an emergency and cannot be avoided) is not taught in the kung fu styles I am familiar with.

The trouble is, too many people don't teach it. I have seen so many "well-known "Masters" teach techniques that show the defender stepping back and blocking, sometimes up to three times, before launching a counter.

The problem is that the world is full of "well known masters". These well "well known masters" produce their fair share of students (sometimes with "decades" (LOL!) of experience) who are clueless about such basic TCMA approaches to combat and hence even more clueless about the deeper and more profound aspects such as the internals and their various dimensions.

Unfortunately, this does not stop these people from sharing their "wisdom" with the MA community and as a result the TCMAs are in the mess they are in now with pseudo kung fu-ists and glorified kickboxers holding the monopoly on what "good" kung fu practice is supposed to entail.

Try doing that with a resisting opponent, trying to tear your head off. No Way.

And that is real kung fu.:)

So again it is good to see video clips of authentic kung fu methodology.:)

banditshaw
12-15-2009, 12:05 AM
It seemed very much like a "Hasayfu leopard" fist actually...

I heard that fist shape being called a tigers paw in my line. It comes crashing down with the fore knuckles to the side of the face. Temple, eyes, ears, jaw take your pick. I love that move.

Conditioned fore knuckles are a must!

Good video Sifu Yui. Looking forward to seeing more clips.

SIFU RON
12-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Thank you for sharing , this is excellent Tradional Kung Fu.

David Jamieson
12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
I heard that fist shape being called a tigers paw in my line. It comes crashing down with the fore knuckles to the side of the face. Temple, eyes, ears, jaw take your pick. I love that move.

Conditioned fore knuckles are a must!

Good video Sifu Yui. Looking forward to seeing more clips.

Our school has that hand form as 'pao choy' (leopard fist not uppercut)

blackjesus
12-28-2009, 11:26 PM
good stuff.