PDA

View Full Version : Iron Wire/5 Animals

SifuYui
12-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Part of the 1st attempt at an informational series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLGK6vQFKM

Yui

TenTigers
12-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Really nice presentation, Yui.

Dragonzbane76
12-12-2009, 06:23 AM
question for you tigers or yui?

The guy in the vid mixed in the 5 animal with iron wire. When I was in Hung ga, from what I remember, 5 animals looks a lot like tiger crane form or am I totally off on this? Been a long time since I in Hung ga and I never got to the level of doing Iron wire, saw it many times but was curious about the 5 animal/tiger crane reference i made.
Thanks

SDJerry
12-12-2009, 06:32 AM
question for you tigers or yui?

The guy in the vid mixed in the 5 animal with iron wire. When I was in Hung ga, from what I remember, 5 animals looks a lot like tiger crane form or am I totally off on this? Been a long time since I in Hung ga and I never got to the level of doing Iron wire, saw it many times but was curious about the 5 animal/tiger crane reference i made.
Thanks

Yes, it has some of the same hands. Basically if you know gung gi and tiger crane, you know probably 50% of sup ying. Maybe a little less but somewhere in that ballpark.

taai gihk yahn
12-12-2009, 06:45 AM
so, from a physiological perspective, why does doing the IW "work"?

SIFU RON
12-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Very well performed.

ThanK you Sifu Yui

TenTigers
12-12-2009, 08:45 AM
so, from a physiological perspective, why does doing the IW "work"?
The Iron Wire set combines several methods. As you can see, it draws many movements from such internal exercises as the Eight Pieces of Brocade and Muscle Change Classic, as well as reverse breathing, packing breath, and the Healing Sounds.
As a purely dynamic Tension exercise, it develops strength for specific body movements used in Hung Kuen. It develops alignment and power generation at the same time.
excerpt from my earlier post-in case you haven't read it:

In Southern Siu-Lum, contrary to popular belief, the dynamic tension is used for quite a different reason entirely, and NOT strength devlopment as most may think.

If you look at the forms that use DT, you see that they all have one thing in common. They all came from Southern short bridging systems, whether it is Karate or Kung-Fu. Mostly from Fukien based short bridging systems, and usually done in bridging movements.

These systems relay on a very specific type of ging-one that maintains a certain "nervous" energy in the bridge when feeling and listening, and reacting to the opponent.
Whether it is to absorb, detain, adjust, etc -in which although the hand is going back, the energy is going foward, and when changing direction for the continuation of the techniques. This is the "energy/feeling" they are cultivating by using DT.
Sure, strength may be a byproduct, but not the original intention.
I know some may question this as far as Tiet Sien Kuen is concerned, but realise this-when we speak of TSK, we always speak of the twelve bridges.
The idea is not so much to develop muscular strength throughout all the varied permutations of the bridge, but to develop the ging-the aliveness, in the bridges.
Many of the teachers still have these skills.
I have touched hands with Lam Jo,at 98, his short hand skill was very high.

I know I contradicted myself. I realize that Tiet Sien Kuen is often on a purely muscular level, and achieves certain results as such. I was just focusing on a different aspect. I should edit this before I publish my "Master Text." :rolleyes::p

SIFU RON
12-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Excellent explanation, thank you TenTigers.

chusauli
12-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Yui is doing the part of the Tiet Sien Kuen of the Yee Chi Wai branch of Tang Fong Hung Ga and part of the 5 animal set of that branch, too.

The classical training sets are long and quite intricate, and his presentation is showing a bit of the skills of both sets...don't take these to be the classical sets, but excerpts of both sets.

Well done.

What makes Tiet Sien Kuen work is the twisting of the limbs and the open/close, rise/fall, swallow/spit, float/sink with the linkage of the body. If you have blood stagnation or injury, the set TSK can cause a rush of blood/hei to flow to the injured area, causing it to heal faster.

Dragonzbane76
12-12-2009, 01:20 PM
SDJerry,

I seen on your profile your in KY. Are you active in Hung ga down there?

SIFU RON
12-12-2009, 03:15 PM
What makes Tiet Sien Kuen work is the twisting of the limbs and the open/close, rise/fall, swallow/spit, float/sink with the linkage of the body. If you have blood stagnation or injury, the set TSK can cause a rush of blood/hei to flow to the injured area, causing it to heal faster.[/QUOTE]

Well noted, thank you Dr. Chu, my late Sifu Ark Y Wong taught his verson of the same Style, it is interresting to hear of the healing benefits associated with Kung Fu, especially from such as qualified source as you.

Ron Shewmaker

SDJerry
12-13-2009, 07:06 AM
SDJerry,

I seen on your profile your in KY. Are you active in Hung ga down there?

Yes, I train under Sifu Mike Marshall. I have just a hair over two years with hime so far. I love hung gar!

Dragonzbane76
12-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Yes, I train under Sifu Mike Marshall. I have just a hair over two years with hime so far. I love hung gar!

:) I trained under his student Sifu Dave Reeder in WV for a good while. Glad to hear Sifu Mike is still teaching.

SDJerry
12-13-2009, 09:51 AM
:) I trained under his student Sifu Dave Reeder in WV for a good while. Glad to hear Sifu Mike is still teaching.

Cool! I've heard that name before. Yeah, Sifu is still teaching and I feel lucky to have crossed paths with him.