PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite hand form in mantis?

cha kuen
09-26-2001, 05:56 AM
Ihave yet to find mine. Goose Palm looks very smooth and the plum blossm series has some nice ones.

I like mantis steals the peach.

Tainan Mantis
09-26-2001, 06:55 AM
My Shr-fu's is Plum Flower Dzai Yao Section 2 and Secret door Lan jie.
My first one is Beng bu and second Lan Jie.

BeiTangLang
09-26-2001, 12:42 PM
How many lan jies does your sifu have??

"In the name of peace, destroy your enemies!"-Unknown

yingching
09-26-2001, 05:03 PM
Probably Plum Flower Palm, or Small Tiger Wild Goose.
The beginning Palm Sequence in Plum Flower Palm is real nice.I also really like the way Small Tiger Wild Goose moves.
Anyway, there is my 2 cents.

Tainan Mantis
09-26-2001, 05:15 PM
Through the years he has acquired the complete systems of:
-7 Star
-Plum Flower
-Taiji Mantis
-Secret Door
In most cases he has studied the same branch of mantis from several teachers in order to get several different perspectives.
He also studied some other PM styles and kept those unique aspects that other styles didn't have.
So he has learned 4 Lan Jie. But I would say that they are probably not all at his mental beck and call.
He practices his favorite and the others are stored on video.

But one time I was asking why he should have so many Dzai Yao forms as they must all be similar.
He said no, they are all different. And then, right before my eyes he did a comparison of the dzai Yao forms from 2-6 in 3 different styles, 15 forms, just to show that they were diferent, which they were.
For example: Dzai Yao #2 of Plum flower then Secret Door then 7 Star. And they were all different.

baji-fist
09-26-2001, 06:26 PM
Personally I love Qi Xing Lan Jie. There are plenty of good applications in it. Other mantis forms I like doing are Xiao Hu Yen and Bung Bu.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

Kram1
09-27-2001, 04:07 AM
Tainan Mantis,

Is your Shr-fu Shr Jeng Jong? sure sounds like it!

Mark

And So It Goes...

Tainan Mantis
09-27-2001, 05:53 AM
He is my Shr fu. Are you a student of John Scolaro?

Scarletmantis
09-27-2001, 08:24 PM
I like Plum Flower Boxing, and Mantis Steals the Peach. I guess I have a thing for fruity Forms. :eek:

"Master, here is a stick. Please beat me for my insolence." - KC Elbows

Kram1
09-27-2001, 11:38 PM
TM,
NO I am not presently. I spoke with him today, and will visit his new studio. Sounds very interesting.
I notice that several styles are taught, Which do you like most? How do you like the combination?
There is another , 18elders, on this forum that is studying with Shr-fu John now.

Mark

And So It Goes...

Tainan Mantis
09-28-2001, 12:26 PM
I don't know enuf about all the styles to have a favorite. Apart from some different forms it seems that the differences in style are based on the individual who teaches it.
If you are lanky then you'll do it different from someone who is barrel chested.

Since I am lanky I favor the whipping action I can generate with my body type. Although John and I have studied with the same teacher but we do things differently.
Our Shr fu doesn't fit us into a mold of how the form should be, but lets us do the form in a way most suitable to our body and personality.

On of my favorite forms is Lipi of 8 Step Mantis because it was instrumental in moving my body into better power generation.
Also the 2 man of this form goes together very well with Beng Bu.

But I have seen that other schools do this form quite differently.

Papieboni
09-29-2001, 05:15 AM
I personally like the palm techniques of the flower sets in mantis.

" You have come into this world in this way, at this time, in this place, to know who you are and to create who you wish to be."

LizMantis
09-29-2001, 11:16 PM
I agree with KickingMantis

www.kungfuexchange.com (http://www.kungfuexchange.com)