PDA

View Full Version : Montreal People

kfson
12-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Do you know anything about Master Hai Yang up there in Montreal?
I've seen some of his internet vids, they seem pretty sharp.

Juan Alvarez
12-22-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm a student of master Yang. If you want info on him, I suggest you visit his website at www.internalstyle.com

Mr Yang is the best no BS, hands on application, internal stylist in N.-America... but then again, I'm biased!;)

kfson
12-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm a student of master Yang. If you want info on him, I suggest you visit his website at www.internalstyle.com

Mr Yang is the best no BS, hands on application, internal stylist in N.-America... but then again, I'm biased!;)

Thanks for responding.
The internet site seems to refer to a wholistic approach: martial art, knowledge of Chinese medicine, and Daoism. Is this the case?

sanjuro_ronin
12-22-2009, 12:42 PM
This is always a good sign:

Since his family was well-educated in Chinese traditional arts, they knew that people should take as much training from different masters who were experts in different aspects...

Juan Alvarez
12-22-2009, 01:56 PM
His holistic views are in regard of the internal training system, which he says belongs to the Daoist arts. It's subdivided by the followings:

1. Energy arts, which encompass Qi Gong and Meditation
2. Martial arts, in which Tai Chi, Xing Yi and Ba Gua take place
3. Medical arts, in which you will find all what composes the traditional Chinese medecine: Herbology, Acupuncture and Diet

There's a nice schematic representation of this at this page: http://internalstyle.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=4

Since my particular place is in the martial aspects, specially in Xing Yi, I can't really talk about the two others.

kfson
12-22-2009, 02:00 PM
His holistic views are in regard of the internal training system, which he says belongs to the Daoist arts. It's subdivided by the followings:

1. Energy arts, which encompass Qi Gong and Meditation
2. Martial arts, in which Tai Chi, Xing Yi and Ba Gua take place
3. Medical arts, in which you will find all what composes the traditional Chinese medecine: Herbology, Acupuncture and Diet

There's a nice schematic representation of this at this page: http://internalstyle.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=4

Since my particular place is in the martial aspects, specially in Xing Yi, I can't really talk about the two others.

Is English used in class? What is the percentage of French speakers in Montreal?

Juan Alvarez
12-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Mr Yang uses English to teach. The seniors then can explain in French to French-speaking students. Most of students understand and speak English though. As for the percentage of the English-speaking population, I haven't the slightest idea. But, Montreal and its surroundings is a very cosmopolitan area, and one of the few cities in Quebec that are completely bilingual. So, you can safely get around with English only.

kfson
12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
But, Montreal and its surroundings is a very cosmopolitan area, and one of the few cities in Quebec that are completely bilingual. So, you can safely get around with English only.

So if you get outside the city, you had better parlez the francais?

Do the beginning students start out in Xing Yi or Chen?

Juan Alvarez
12-22-2009, 04:01 PM
lol! Why would you want to get out of the city? :D

edit: If you have doubts on what you want, Mr Yang will oblige to direct you to what he feels you would benefit from first. Otherwise, generaly speaking, xingyi is the best style for developping internal power rapidly.

kfson
12-22-2009, 06:17 PM
lol! Why would you want to get out of the city? :D

edit: If you have doubts on what you want, Mr Yang will oblige to direct you to what he feels you would benefit from first. Otherwise, generaly speaking, xingyi is the best style for developping internal power rapidly.

Thanks for being courteous and open about Mr. Yang. I think I will contact him to see if I may visit your school in May, roundabouts.

justadude103
08-17-2010, 08:28 PM
I visited the school of Master Yang last week. What i witness is just unreal. A little guy came in, and politely ask for a sparing match. Then master yang hai react in arrogant way and aggressivley. He want the fight happen now and dont let the other guy change his clothes or drop his bag, and start to puch him in a corner. After few warning from the little guy to step back, the fight started and Master hai take a serious beating before his students come to his rescue.
What a shame!!
Im glad that this happen in front of me, otherwise i was about to subscribe:o

bawang
08-19-2010, 06:22 PM
really? :eek:

justadude103
08-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Realllly!!!!!

And the whole scene was filmed
Police came, and everything...

taai gihk yahn
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Realllly!!!!!

filmed as in the aftermath or the beat-down itself?

KC Elbows
08-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Well, it's good you knew to pull up this thread from December of 2009 to keep us abreast of events.

Instead of like, starting a thread about it.

You'll have to give me tips on using the forum search features, all I can ever find is old arguments between wing chun guys.

bawang
08-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Realllly!!!!!

more info pls. i get popcorn and vaseline.

justadude103
08-20-2010, 06:53 PM
I do not know where those guys came from, or the reason for it. They arrived at the end of a Tai Chi Class, they where 3, one with a camera, one with a folder document, and one with a clothes bag. The guy with the bag just said, 'i came to propose a friendly sparring match'. Its seem that the tai chi master was insulted about it, the way he react was weird. He first say ok, we do it now, now, now!!!
And invite the small guy to attack him. The small guy didnt understand, and ask to repeat. He was wearing civil clothes and tight pants, and have his bag around his neck. He was clearly not ready to fight now. Then the guy with the document say 'we have to sign this before, its a contract.... After tearing the letter, the master advance throught the guy and put his hand on his chest, and said, oh, you want to fight, so we fight now, why you need the law? And he start to push the guy in the corner, and isolate him from his two friend. The guy repeat 3 or 4 times - backup, you need to backup, keep your distance.- Then the guy start to attak the master with a furry of punches. The master was enable to defend himself and retreat in the wall, (where a was sit, they almost hit me). The student of the master, who witness all the scene, came to his rescue. A small brawl following with the 3 guys and the class, after everyone get seperated. The face of the master was bloody, has the fist of the other guy.
After few minutes, i quit, has the police came.

I do not know the story behind this, but i guess its hughe!!
It will be interesting if some people from this school who was there that day could comment.

If they could film all the scene, this video have the potential to be a piece of anthology on youtube !!!!

justadude103
08-23-2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsunYHXir84

that's what im talking about...

taai gihk yahn
08-24-2010, 08:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsunYHXir84

that's what im talking about...

why is it censored?

Three Harmonies
08-24-2010, 09:22 AM
1- If homie is coming to fight, he should be prepared to fight immediately! Changing out of his "tight pants" is not acceptable.

2- If homie was coming to fight, what is the purpose of a worthless document? ***** move.

3 - Why is the video edited?

4- I would not call what I saw on the video "bloody." Yang had a bruise and I could not see the other cat. Proves nothing.

5 - WTF is the point of any of it???? Let alone your posting video of it??

6 - WTF is your payout in this all? Sounds to me like you were sent by homie to be planted in the class for some reason.

JAB

taai gihk yahn
08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
1- If homie is coming to fight, he should be prepared to fight immediately! Changing out of his "tight pants" is not acceptable.

2- If homie was coming to fight, what is the purpose of a worthless document? ***** move.

3 - Why is the video edited?

4- I would not call what I saw on the video "bloody." Yang had a bruise and I could not see the other cat. Proves nothing.

5 - WTF is the point of any of it???? Let alone your posting video of it??

6 - WTF is your payout in this all? Sounds to me like you were sent by homie to be planted in the class for some reason.

JAB

well said; thread over;

taai gihk yahn
08-25-2010, 06:11 AM
I visited the school of Master Yang last week. What i witness is just unreal. A little guy came in, and politely ask for a sparing match. Then master yang hai react in arrogant way and aggressivley. He want the fight happen now and dont let the other guy change his clothes or drop his bag, and start to puch him in a corner. After few warning from the little guy to step back, the fight started and Master hai take a serious beating before his students come to his rescue.
What a shame!!
Im glad that this happen in front of me, otherwise i was about to subscribe:o

at this point, sir, your posting here is highly suspect - based on the timing, content and tenor of your posts, it appears that you are nothing more than someone planted by the "challengers" to try to lend credence and objectivity to their position; it is clear that by having you state that you saw Master Yang get beat up it supposedly reinforces the EDITED video's claim to the same effect; your point is obviously to discredit Yang regardless of what happened in the part that was edited out, by pretending to be an disinterested third party;

nice try, but you are awarded the "epic fail"; now go away and troll somewhere else;

omarthefish
08-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Well, it's good you knew to pull up this thread from December of 2009 to keep us abreast of events.

Instead of like, starting a thread about it.

You'll have to give me tips on using the forum search features, all I can ever find is old arguments between wing chun guys.
nice catch. Somehow I missed that and was thinking...how odd...someone started a thread asking about Yang Hai right at the same time as all the Naammiespammers were busy doing their best tribble imitations.

Syn7
08-27-2010, 07:30 PM
anyone ever talk to anyone from that nam anh school??? did they ever explain why it was "censored"... i mean, does anyone here feel like if they were in that position and blacked out the fighting part of the vid, would anyone actually think anyone would see that and not be like WTF???

what kind of mind state do you have to be in to post that and black ouit the only part anyone wants to see aswell as the part that proves who did better in a pinch, which is when it really matters after all...

i mean, its not like they can say "oh it would have been disrespectful to post the actual violence" becoz in my opinion the fighting would have been the least insulting part...

but why would you post video of you getting ***** slapped??? so maybe he did get the better of it, but agin, if so why not let us see???

this is all just so surreal... i mean come on, WTF is this s h i t ??? why post any video at all??? what was the focus here? what was the desired accomplishment??? because what i see is alot of people thinking the nam anh guys look the worst here... behaviour, ettiquette, the whole video thang it adds up and looks petty overall IMO... which is unfortunate becausse i saw a vid of some cat doing bak mei and it wasnt bad... but this whole fiasco? wtf...

so if you are at that school and are reading this, come on out and defend yourself... explain a bit more than whats already been explained... reputation in martial arts is pretty important... anything that tarnishes that rep should be dealt with accordingly... not showing due dilligence infat speaks to the contrary and almost adds insult to injury... like the whole misinformation or disinformation campaign isnt cool at all... if you post a story like thios, you give up all the details... not just using multimedia to spread negativity and interschool beef... lucky nobody has really been hurt yet... people get shot over that kinda s h i t ...

phoenixdog
09-04-2010, 04:12 AM
In my kung fu days in Denver, when a challenger came in, a student would fight the challenger first, if the student was beaten, then the teacher would fight the challenger. This also gave the teacher a chance to see what the challenger had. I've seen the "death warrant" presented but never signed because it actually gives the advantage to the person challenged. You and I sign giving no recourse from injury/death, I pull out a pistol and kill you. (all hypothetically as an example of course!)
As far as allowing an univited challenger to change clothes, drop his bag etc......you've got to be kidding!