PDA

View Full Version : Teas/Herbs?

kfson
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
What teas and or herbs do you have for your daily health regimen?

kfson
12-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Gynostemma Pentaphyllum

"Gynostemma pentaphyllum, also called jiaogulan (Chinese: 绞股蓝; pinyin: jiǎogǔlán, literally "twisting-vine-orchid") is an herbaceous vine of the family Cucurbitaceae (cucumber or gourd family) indigenous to the southern reaches of China, southern Korea and Japan. Jiaogulan is best known as an herbal medicine reputed to have powerful antioxidant and adaptogenic effects that increase longevity.

The plant is best known for its use as an herbal medicine in traditional Chinese medicine. A botany book by Wu Qi-Jun from 1848 Zhi Wu Ming Shi Tu Kao Chang Bian discusses a few medicinal uses and seems to be the earliest known documentation of the herb. Jiaogulan had been cited previously as a survival food in Zu Xio's 1406 book Materia Medica for Famine. Until recently it was a locally known herb used primarily in regions of southern China. It is described by the local inhabitants as the immortality herb, because people within Guizhou Province, where jiaogulan tea is drunk regularly, are said have a history of living to a very old age.[1][2]

Jiaogulan is most often consumed as an herbal tea, and is also available as an alcohol extract and in capsule or pill form.[3] It is known as an adaptogen and antioxidant. Because of its adaptogenic effects it is frequently referred to as "Southern Ginseng," although it is not closely related to true Panax ginseng. Its adaptogenic constituents include the triterpenoid saponins gypenosides which are closely structurally related to the ginsenosides from the well-known medicinal plant ginseng.[citation needed] Jiaogulan is a calming adaptogen which is also useful in formula with codonopsis for jet lag and altitude sickness.[2] Most research has been done since the 1960s when the Chinese realized that it might be an inexpensive source of adaptogenic compounds, taking pressure off of the ginseng stock."

mawali
12-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Adaptogens (tonics?!) should not be used daily if one is under 30.
It means one has an underlying unresolved condition and to continue with said adaptogen can result in 'drying' conditions i.e. empty heat!
Over 30 they should be spread out in usage and perhaps one should eat more nutrition dense foods.

Xiao3 Meng4
12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Adaptogenic means its function is adaptive. Cranberries are like this: cranberries have the ability to both raise and lower blood pressure, depending on need.

Some tonics can be very Yang. If someone with adequate amounts of Yang consumes Yang tonics over a large period of time, it's possible that a relative yin deficiency may develop. If left unchecked, it can turn into true Yin deficiency, followed by true Yang deficiency. Hence the warnings that Yang tonics should be used sparingly by under-30s and by Yin deficient people.

Zi Zheng
12-24-2009, 11:56 AM
yin zhen, tieh guan yin, mostly shou, but sheng pu er as well, mo li hua, bi lou chun, long jing and jin shan hong cha in standard rotation. Pu er really helps me with meditation. I seem to have more, for lack of a better way of explaining, "memorable" experiences in meditation when i drink pu er prior to.

uki
12-26-2009, 08:11 PM
i use shrooms on a yearly basis - you can make tea out of them - does this count? :D

Xiao3 Meng4
12-26-2009, 10:35 PM
i use shrooms on a yearly basis - you can make tea out of them - does this count? :D

How do you make your blue tea?

I was taught to boil the water then take it off the heat and let it sit for 1 minute to let the particulates settle. For most teas, I'd then pour the water into the teapot containing the tea and let the tea steep for about a minute, then pour and serve.

With mushrooms, though, excessive heat (I think around 60C) breaks down the psylocibin molecule, so I let the water cool for at least 3 minutes, preferably 5 before pouring it into the teapot, then letting it steep for a few minutes longer. I also stir and shake it to mix it up thoroughly.

kfson
12-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Adaptogens (tonics?!) should not be used daily if one is under 30.
It means one has an underlying unresolved condition and to continue with said adaptogen can result in 'drying' conditions i.e. empty heat!
Over 30 they should be spread out in usage and perhaps one should eat more nutrition dense foods.

I thought an adaptogen "has a normalizing influence on physiology, irrespective of the direction of change from physiological norms caused by the stressor".

And "Gynostemma Pentaphyllum (botanical name), or Jiaogulan (Chinese name), is a five leafed adaptogenic herb. It has the unique ability of restoring homeostatis (balance and equilibrium) to all five body systems."

If it's function is normalizing, how can it produce drying conditions?

uki
12-28-2009, 10:29 AM
How do you make your blue tea?

I was taught to boil the water then take it off the heat and let it sit for 1 minute to let the particulates settle. For most teas, I'd then pour the water into the teapot containing the tea and let the tea steep for about a minute, then pour and serve.

With mushrooms, though, excessive heat (I think around 60C) breaks down the psylocibin molecule, so I let the water cool for at least 3 minutes, preferably 5 before pouring it into the teapot, then letting it steep for a few minutes longer. I also stir and shake it to mix it up thoroughly.the psillies begin to breakdown at 150 degrees... just heat up water a bit and steep them for awhile... i drink the tea and eat the shrooms also. good stuff. i prefer fresh or dried - tea is good when you have a garbage bag full goodies...