PDA

View Full Version : Hung Kuen/ CLF Bridge hands--how similar/how different

LaterthanNever
12-17-2009, 08:08 PM
I came across this paragraph recently while surfing the net and was curious to know everyones opinions. Though I believe the author meant "Hung Ga 12 bridges" and not "Hung Ga 10 bridges"(perhaps this individual got the 10 killing hands mixed up with the 12 bridges), it's interesting to see how the bridge techniques in Hung Ga compare with those of CLF.

Can anyone who has studied both styles comment please?

Here is the article:

" "The Essence of CLF

When the above is studied in conjunction with CLF's 12 Bridge Hands, the essence of CLF is revealed. CLF's 12 Kiu Sau, unlike Hung Gar's 10 Kiu Sau, is not a description of the actual hand bridging techniques but rather bridging strategies. Kiu is a term common in Southern kung fu forms which literally means "bridge"; bridging being an essential part of closing and bridging the gap in fighting. The twelve primary kiu sau or bridge hands describe the key to the bridging tactics of CLF. These are: chuen kiu (drilling bridge), poon kiu (lower deflecting bridge), gung kiu (offensive bridge), kwun kiu (rolling/deflecting bridge), gort kiu (cutting or slicing bridge), yong kiu, darm kiu (lifting bridge), look kiu (reeling bridge), chum kiu (sinking bridge), lao kiu (scooping bridge), chi kiu (sticking bridge), and larp kiu (grabbing bridge)."

The web address from the above cut and paste is as follows: http://ec-ma.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

Eric Olson
12-17-2009, 11:15 PM
I think to understand the bridge is to understand how the whole body moves. CLF and Hung Kuen are quite different in this regard. CLF involves more turning of the waist, whereas Hung Kuen is more about the ground connection and the "iron bridge".

CLF is about attacking from the outside, from an angle. Hung Kuen will come right up the middle (and often from underneath.) These are generalizations but what I've found to be true in my own experience of both styles.

EO

P.S. I've not heard of all of these bridges in CLF. One's I have heard of:

Chuen
Poon
Daam
Lok
Yong
Laap

I came across this paragraph recently while surfing the net and was curious to know everyones opinions. Though I believe the author meant "Hung Ga 12 bridges" and not "Hung Ga 10 bridges"(perhaps this individual got the 10 killing hands mixed up with the 12 bridges), it's interesting to see how the bridge techniques in Hung Ga compare with those of CLF.

Can anyone who has studied both styles comment please?

Here is the article:

" "The Essence of CLF

When the above is studied in conjunction with CLF's 12 Bridge Hands, the essence of CLF is revealed. CLF's 12 Kiu Sau, unlike Hung Gar's 10 Kiu Sau, is not a description of the actual hand bridging techniques but rather bridging strategies. Kiu is a term common in Southern kung fu forms which literally means "bridge"; bridging being an essential part of closing and bridging the gap in fighting. The twelve primary kiu sau or bridge hands describe the key to the bridging tactics of CLF. These are: chuen kiu (drilling bridge), poon kiu (lower deflecting bridge), gung kiu (offensive bridge), kwun kiu (rolling/deflecting bridge), gort kiu (cutting or slicing bridge), yong kiu, darm kiu (lifting bridge), look kiu (reeling bridge), chum kiu (sinking bridge), lao kiu (scooping bridge), chi kiu (sticking bridge), and larp kiu (grabbing bridge)."

The web address from the above cut and paste is as follows: http://ec-ma.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

TenTigers
12-18-2009, 09:34 AM
the twelve bridges aren't techniques, but concepts describing qualities of movement and energy-feeling and responding. Soft, hard, rising falling, flowing, etc. The "iron bridge" is only one aspect. Therefore, it is not a valid comparrison.

chusauli
12-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Many of the CLF Kiu Sao overlap with Hung Kuen's Kiu Sao. I only studied Sup Ji Kuen, Ping Kuen and Sup Ji Kao Da Kuen sets of CLF

Taking the 12 conceptual bridges of Hung Ga out of the equation, certainly Hung Ga has chuen kiu (drilling bridge) - the classical Single Hung Ga bridge is an example, or in Tang Fong style, it is a Lop Sao

Poon kiu (lower deflecting bridge) is akin to the Mao Yee Sae Mien of Fu Hoc Cern Ying

gung kiu (offensive bridge) - I would have to see it...

kwun kiu (rolling/deflecting bridge), as I recall is akin to Hung Ga's Bong Sao

gort kiu (cutting or slicing bridge), is common in all Hung Ga sets

yong kiu, is a common move and found in opening moves of Gung Ji Fuk Fu and Fu Hoc

darm kiu (lifting bridge), is found in Gung Ji Fuk Fu

look kiu (reeling bridge), is akin to Huen Sao

chum kiu (sinking bridge), is common throughout Hung Ga sets

lao kiu (scooping bridge), is also common in Hung Ga sets

chi kiu (sticking bridge), is a primary tactic in Hung Ga

larp kiu (grabbing bridge) is used throughout Hung Ga sets

Just my $0.02....