PDA

View Full Version : Kettle Bell and Tactical Pull Up seminar

donbdc
12-18-2009, 06:42 AM
There will be a one day 6 hr seminar in Frederick MD. The seminar will cover the Turkish Get Up and Tacticle pull ups. It will be taught by SR. RKC Instructor Will WIlliams. Cost is $75. If you have any Questions contact me here ar my email address donbdc@yahoo.com.

Thanks
Don Berry DC RKC

Oso
12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
that seems kinda pricey...is a KB included?

donbdc
12-18-2009, 11:33 AM
that seems kinda pricey...is a KB included?

Usually a SR. level RKC instructor will charge over $200 for a day seminar, this is a steal at $75.

Don Berry DC RKC

Oso
12-18-2009, 09:31 PM
ok...

what is RKC?

who is the guy giving the seminar? exactly?

and why, in this economy, does he command better than $10/hour per person?

at more than $10 an hour the instructor needs to really be the shiznit and you need to walk away with some good schwag. is there even an event t-shirt.

you're talking to a jaded audience, many of whom believe they can 'breathe' themselves to superhuman power.

if you're going to advertise here, for free...give us something to think about at least.

donbdc
12-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Sorry,
The most thorough explanation I can provide comes from dragondoor.com.
We are a group of health care providers, strength coaches, military professionals and martial artist. Devoted to functional fitness! Good stuff isn't cheap!

Three Harmonies
12-19-2009, 08:24 AM
There is a difference between "cheap" and "ripped off."
6hrs for $75 is a good deal.
Now, the $200 a day comment... that falls more towards the ripped off category.

Who is teaching it? Are KB's provided? Is this open to all experience levels? Exactly what would one learn over 6 hrs? That is a LONG time for anyone of any fitness level to be lifting weight!

Cheers,
JAB

donbdc
12-19-2009, 09:48 AM
There is a difference between "cheap" and "ripped off."
6hrs for $75 is a good deal.
Now, the $200 a day comment... that falls more towards the ripped off category.

Who is teaching it? Are KB's provided? Is this open to all experience levels? Exactly what would one learn over 6 hrs? That is a LONG time for anyone of any fitness level to be lifting weight!

Cheers,
JAB

If you were a BJJ and spent 6 hrs training w/ Joyce Gracie you'd pay that! It depends on who is teaching. As I said Sr. RKC Instructor Will Williams is teaching.
There will be KB's there for training. Finally this is a teqnique seminar, lots of time going through joint mobility and technique explanation w/ progressives.
Check out Dragondoor.com look at the links, there are lots of seminars and instructors all over the country. I think Frederick MD is a bit of a hike for you!

Don Berry DC RKC

Scott R. Brown
12-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Hmmmmm???????:confused:

$75 to learn to do pullups??? I have been doing pullups for 40 years! Just what more do I have to learn about them? They don't become harder or more practical just because you put "tactical" before "pullup"!:eek:

Do them on a wall!
Do them on a rock climbing wall!
Do them with a rope!
Do them lopsided!
Do them with one arm!
Do them with gear on!
Do them with added weight to the neck!
Do them with added weight to waist!
Do them with added weight to the back!
Do them with legs supported in various ways!
Do them with your legs held horizontal to the floor!
Do them with the legs held straight up to the bar!
Do them with the legs tucked up to your chest!
Do them with a fat bar!
Do them with rings!
Do them with one, two, three fingers!
Do them with your finger tips!
Do them explosively!
Do them on the underside of a slanted ladder or stairs!
Do them with a jumping bar, like on Ninja Warrior!
Do them on a horizontal slack rope (thick and thin ropes)!
Do them with hands facing you close together!
Do them with hands facing you a little wider!
Do them with hands facing you even wider!
Do the same thing as above with the hands facing away from you.
Do the same thing as above with rings!
Do the same thing as above with a rope!
Do the same thing as above with towels!
Do them with hands facing each other with various widths between the hands!
Do the same thing as above, but hands are on opposite sides of the same bar!
Do them leaning backwards as far as you can pulling to waist!
Do them puling up close to the bar and then push yourself away as you lower yourself!
Keep your arms straight and lean back til your body is parallel to the ground, (called a "lever")!

Pull up and hold for various lengths of time.
Pull up slowly, lower yourself quickly!
Pull up quickly and lower yourself slowly!
Pull up to the left, hold in the top position and move to the right, then lower yourself!
Pull up to the right, hold in the top position and move to the left, then lower yourself!
Pull up to the center, move to the right, move to the left, move to the center, lower yourself!
Pull up on rings do a muscle up, (moving your a hands over the top of the rings) and do a dip.
Do the same thing as above but on a bar.

Do 21's, 7 reps from the bottom postion up to halfway, then 7 reps from halfway up to the top, the do 7 reps full pullups!
Do 21's with different rep ranges!
Do 21's with different grips!

I got more, but I think you get the point and by now you should be able to come up with your own!

Since "tactical pullups" are only half the class the I will be happy to give all of you more than a 50% discount. Please e-mail you VISA numbers and I will deduct $35 from your cards!

I promise, only $35!!! You can trust me!!!:D

The Turkish Get Up does take a little practice, but one can learn if for free online. Just go to youtube or input Turkish Get Up into Google.

donbdc
12-19-2009, 09:54 AM
There are some finer points to these skills that you might find helpful. Maximizing strength and fitness can only help develop you in the martial art world. If you want to get tstronget this is an opportunity. I am not making a penny off of this I am simply sponsoring an opportunity w/ my coach Will Williams Sr. level RKC Instructor.
Take a look at Dragondoor and see what is offered before making judgement

Don Berry DC RKC

Scott R. Brown
12-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I doubt it!

Frost
12-19-2009, 10:55 AM
I love the dragon door guys.... these are the people that brought you the renegade coach and his suspect CV, , coach sonnen and his suspect CV, pavel and his um.. how shall we put this ... his slightly padded CV :D

These are the guys that said weights are for getting stronger and can't help for CV work, (power to the people) then said kettlebells are different for some reason....:eek: then said the beauty of kettlebells are that they are so much easy to learn and cheaper than olypmic lifting... then started to charge an absolute fortune for coaching sessions.... oh well a new comrade is born ever day :D

Scott R. Brown
12-19-2009, 11:38 AM
I love the dragon door guys.... these are the people that brought you the renegade coach and his suspect CV, , coach sonnen and his suspect CV, pavel and his um.. how shall we put this ... his slightly padded CV :D

These are the guys that said weights are for getting stronger and can't help for CV work, (power to the people) then said kettlebells are different for some reason....:eek: then said the beauty of kettlebells are that they are so much easy to learn and cheaper than olypmic lifting... then started to charge an absolute fortune for coaching sessions.... oh well a new comrade is born ever day :D

Any who thinks that weights are not for Cardio has never done complexes, The Bear, or circuits (my personal favorite)!

Frost
12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
and anyone who thinks Pavel is anything less than a marketing genious is missing the point:D

Oso
12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
:d

davidwhitley
12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Will is a top notch instructor and if you are interested in getting stronger, this is a good workshop.

Fa Xing
12-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Any who thinks that weights are not for Cardio has never done complexes, The Bear, or circuits (my personal favorite)!

Amen brother!

blackjesus
12-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Will is a top notch instructor and if you are interested in getting stronger, this is a good workshop.

David Whitley!! OMG!!!

Respect! Comrade Blackjesus

blackjesus
12-22-2009, 04:54 PM
I paid aus$150 for a 4 hours beginner workshop in Melbourne. Good stuff.
I thought a shoulder press is just a shoulder press, a swing is just a swing...but it is not.
RKC is a hell of an organization. Power To The People and Enter The Kettlebell are two awesome books.

Frost
12-23-2009, 01:55 AM
RKC is a hell of an organization in the same way crossfit is a hell of an organisation :)

Oso
12-23-2009, 06:48 AM
RKC is a hell of an organization in the same way crossfit is a hell of an organisation :)

lmao...emphasis on 'hell' ;)

ftr, i love the CF workouts, i'm not paleo or zone (you can tell by my oh so svelt figure) and I stay out of the politics.

that **** that just went down within the upper ranks of CF just has me shaking my head...it's kinda funny the similarities between what I see in the internal politics of CF and the internal politics of most MA orgs.

i was sorta planning to get at least my Level I cert w/ CF but A - $1000 is waaaayyy to much money...ironically, i think it's too much most especially because it's a gimmee cert. if you actually had to 'test out' of the seminar to get the cert it would be more valuable. and B - there is some rumbling that CF may go to the franchise model instead of the affiliate model.

donbdc
12-23-2009, 06:51 AM
I paid aus$150 for a 4 hours beginner workshop in Melbourne. Good stuff.
I thought a shoulder press is just a shoulder press, a swing is just a swing...but it is not.
RKC is a hell of an organization. Power To The People and Enter The Kettlebell are two awesome books.

Dr. Mark Cheng is coming your way soon for a seminar are you attending?

Frost
12-23-2009, 06:58 AM
lmao...emphasis on 'hell' ;)

ftr, i love the CF workouts, i'm not paleo or zone (you can tell by my oh so svelt figure) and I stay out of the politics.

that **** that just went down within the upper ranks of CF just has me shaking my head...it's kinda funny the similarities between what I see in the internal politics of CF and the internal politics of most MA orgs.

i was sorta planning to get at least my Level I cert w/ CF but A - $1000 is waaaayyy to much money...ironically, i think it's too much most especially because it's a gimmee cert. if you actually had to 'test out' of the seminar to get the cert it would be more valuable. and B - there is some rumbling that CF may go to the franchise model instead of the affiliate model.

personally i have issues with some of their ideas and workouts, high rep OL stuff for example, training everyone from grandma's to fighters the same way, over use of the tabata etc, but i hear they have changed for the better, (more strength stuff etc,)

But charging that amount of money for a cert which is basically worthless is silly, you can spend a few hundred dollars getting coached cert'd in OL lifting, or visit westside or elite and get great powerlifting coaching for much less, it just does not make sense but gleesman like Pavel has really got the marketing angle down pat thats for sure

Oso
12-24-2009, 06:48 AM
@ Frost

well, fwiw, i've got pretty bad shoulders and the work has definitely improved how my shoulders feel day to day...if the reps are high, i don't know that they are high enough to get into a repetitive motion injury 'zone'.

'grandmas/fighters': same exercises yes, but certainly scaled in volume and intensity. and, i've never seen anyone of any age 'forced' to do an exercise they simply didn't feel comfortable with.

every workout i've done has a strength portion and then the HIIT/metcon WOD...there are also some people who will take breaks from the WODS to work 'strength cycles'...not sure exactly what the protocols are.

but, yea, the LVL I cert is as bad a thing as any 'black belt school' program i've ever seen. i was completely surprised when i heard that all you had to do was go to the seminar and participate in the seminars and workouts and pay the money...

anytime you're bored enough to read my blog, i'll appreciate any comments you have.

Mr Punch
12-27-2009, 05:42 AM
CF have some great stuff. It isn't unique and it's way overpriced.

Scott, you missed out pull-ups with your *****. Don't you do pull-ups with your *****? I do pull-ups with my *****. I thought everyone did. It's tactical because it surprises the hell out of everyone who sees them.

WTF's a tactical pull-up anyway? Oh. No-one will tell me unless I pay $$$.

6 hours seems a long time for a weights seminar. Dan John's EXCELLENT squat seminar is only 2 hours, and is free on the interwebs. Still, leaves plenty of time for quality time with the e-meter.

Frost
12-27-2009, 07:14 AM
@ Frost

well, fwiw, i've got pretty bad shoulders and the work has definitely improved how my shoulders feel day to day...if the reps are high, i don't know that they are high enough to get into a repetitive motion injury 'zone'.

'grandmas/fighters': same exercises yes, but certainly scaled in volume and intensity. and, i've never seen anyone of any age 'forced' to do an exercise they simply didn't feel comfortable with.

every workout i've done has a strength portion and then the HIIT/metcon WOD...there are also some people who will take breaks from the WODS to work 'strength cycles'...not sure exactly what the protocols are.

but, yea, the LVL I cert is as bad a thing as any 'black belt school' program i've ever seen. i was completely surprised when i heard that all you had to do was go to the seminar and participate in the seminars and workouts and pay the money...

anytime you're bored enough to read my blog, i'll appreciate any comments you have.

the OL lifts are quite technical and the more you do them in a fatigued state the more chance of injury, that and the fact alot of the CF guys teaching the technique don't even have enough experience in the lifts

i think training everyone the same is a mistake, even if loads and intensitys are scaled, i feel some people don't needto work that heavy with the weights, or ever go lactic in a workout for example, and others do. identifing your weaknesses, be they strength ir cardiac based,, speed or endurance based etc and tayloring your program to fixing those problems is for me the way to train

I have looked at your log before and i'll check it out again, please don't take what i say as anything like criticsm of what you do, people who taylor crossfit to their needs are head and shouldeds above most people working out, ite CF itself and some of their HQ beliefs and practices i have a problem with

Oso
12-27-2009, 07:44 AM
the OL lifts are quite technical and the more you do them in a fatigued state the more chance of injury,

agreed...but, honestly, at least where i go, i've never seen anyone pushed towards a weight they couldn't handle with correct form during a wod.

that and the fact alot of the CF guys teaching the technique don't even have enough experience in the lifts

i totally agree...i thought since you had to be a Lvl I to be an affiliate owner that the cert was a big deal that was probably a pass/fail situation.

i think training everyone the same is a mistake, even if loads and intensitys are scaled, i feel some people don't needto work that heavy with the weights,

there are people doing the wods w/ pvc pipe at our place because they aren't ready for more than that.

or ever go lactic in a workout for example, and others do. identifing your weaknesses, be they strength ir cardiac based,, speed or endurance based etc and tayloring your program to fixing those problems is for me the way to train

i can see that for sure, i guess it works for me because i had a 'base' of sorts

I have looked at your log before and i'll check it out again, please don't take what i say as anything like criticsm of what you do, people who taylor crossfit to their needs are head and shouldeds above most people working out, ite CF itself and some of their HQ beliefs and practices i have a problem with

not a worry, I like what it has done for me and like i said, i stay out of the politics, and I'm always open to good criticism.

i definitely hear your above criticisms and maybe HQ and other affiliates don't take care of their clients but the coaches at our place seem to be placing safety first and keep everyone injury free.

blackjesus
12-28-2009, 06:58 PM

Crossfit, are you for real? Have you read Power To The People and Enter The Kettlebell? Have you heard of Steve Cotter, Steve Maxwell and Mike Mahler?

Oso
12-28-2009, 07:34 PM
crossfit, are you for real? Have you read power to the people and enter the kettlebell? Have you heard of steve cotter, steve maxwell and mike mahler?

:d

blackjesus
12-28-2009, 08:35 PM
:) Very mature.
Forget it... I might expect too much from teh interweb.
Crossfit is now like a Multi-level marketing thing, you can't really compare to it to RKC.

I went to a Crossfit place in my town and they told me ALL MMA fighters train crossfit and want my money. I went to a RKC instructor, who is also a Martial Artist, he explained to me how the skills/drills he teachs will help my fighiting skills and teach me how to do swings, Turkish Get Up, Clean and Press with Kettlebells properly.

Fa Xing
12-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Crossfit is now like a Multi-level marketing thing, you can't really compare to it to RKC.

I went to a Crossfit place in my town and they told me ALL MMA fighters train crossfit and want my money. I went to a RKC instructor, who is also a Martial Artist, he explained to me how the skills/drills he teachs will help my fighiting skills and teach me how to do swings, Turkish Get Up, Clean and Press with Kettlebells properly.

I agree. I think crossfit is more of a fitness cult rather than anything worth to aid in other sports. Random randomness is not usually the most beneficial way to go, and imo it would most likely lead to injury.

Oso
12-28-2009, 09:16 PM

relax, BJ, you completely missed the irony in Frost's comment and have apparently not read anything I've said.

the #1 and #2 rules of any form of training are, respectively: location and cost.

i train crossfit because it's here and i like it...oh, and a buddy of mine owns it and i like training with him.

i've only questioned the cost because i've long had a rule that anything costing more than $10/hour had better be effing amazing in content, level/reputation of the instructor or how much 'stuff' you get to walk away with...i'm apparently not the only person that questions the rate.

CrossFit is too expensive...so is what is being pimped here.

Oso
12-28-2009, 09:18 PM
I agree. I think crossfit is more of a fitness cult rather than anything worth to aid in other sports. Random randomness is not usually the most beneficial way to go, and imo it would most likely lead to injury.

CF is not 'random' randomness. at least not where i am.

Frost
01-04-2010, 01:33 AM
Crossfit, are you for real? Have you read Power To The People and Enter The Kettlebell? Have you heard of Steve Cotter, Steve Maxwell and Mike Mahler?

yes i have and your point is? Both organisations have devotees that treat the programs like gospel and the owners like the econd coming, both are over priced and make outlandish claims that they have never backed up. Both are from the we are right everyone else is wrong school of training I could go on and on

Pavel has been proven to have been how shall we put this....liberal with the truth as far as his credentials go, and power to the people and enter the kettlebells contradict each other, ie weights are only good for strength training and should not be used for conditioning (when pavel was on his in power to the people kick) and then weights are good for conditioning but only kettlebells not normal weights (i wonder why that is)

Mike Mahler ….the guy who came out with a kettlebell workout for MMA without actually training anyone of note in the MMA world...that mike mahler?

At least the two Steve’s have actually done something in the MA scene, but the whole it can only be done with kettlebells thing is just a turn off, anyone with any sense knows its not the object you are using in training, but the method of training and how you are targeting the areas that you wish to improve that makes the difference. you can use weights, sledgehammers, machines, barrels it doesn’t matter it’s the methods you are using not the implements that makes the difference.

How Pavel managed to convince so many people that the only piece of equipment you need is essentially a shot-put with a handle that can’t be easily adjusted for weight (unless you by the whole range of kettlebells, genius marketing) is beyond me, and from what I can gather coaches in the actual soviet system in the 80’s have looked at his design for kettlebells and said they don’t look like the ones they used as the handle is too small. (Apparently they used them for throwing and leg and foot exercises mostly)

blackjesus
01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
First of all, I do apologies if I did offence anyone here.

Basically, what I tried to say is I personally think RKC's concept makes more sense and RKC's quality control is much stricter than CF.

I have been to both CF and RKC training facilities. And I chose RKC. I almost LOL-ed when the CF instructor shown me the infamous CF style pull up.

Mike Mahler ….the guy who came out with a kettlebell workout for MMA without actually training anyone of note in the MMA world...that mike mahler?

He trained Frank Shamrock.

How Pavel managed to convince so many people that the only piece of equipment you need is essentially a shot-put with a handle that can’t be easily adjusted for weight (unless you by the whole range of kettlebells, genius marketing) is beyond me, and from what I can gather coaches in the actual soviet system in the 80’s have looked at his design for kettlebells and said they don’t look like the ones they used as the handle is too small. (Apparently they used them for throwing and leg and foot exercises mostly)

Kettlebell is not the be-all end-all. Naked Warrior is about bodyweight training, ETK is about Kettlebell but you can use Ironmind's Kettlebell handle and Power To The People is all about budget training..

Dragon Door is not Microsoft. They are not the exculsive seller of KB...lots of companies including LIfeline makes Kettlebells as well You can get Kettlebells in KMart in Australia (but I seriously won't use it).

Pavel said you shouldn't use high rep to pump up your muscle. High Rep Swing/Snatch, however, is for your cardio. You are still doing presses with heavy weight and low reps.

Oso
01-04-2010, 09:20 PM
and RKC's quality control is much stricter than CF.

CF seems like it might move the the franchise model in the interest of 'QC'.

I actually disagree with this as I think the idea of a half dozen different 'flavor' CF gyms works...you can choose between the more intense mma or military based gym or the more laid back gym.

They should address the QC issue by actually making the certifications (at least the level 1 cert) actually mean something instead of it being a gimmee...or make the minimum for opening an affiliate be Lvl 2 cert. As i understand it, the Lvl 2 cert is a pass/fail cert and there aren't that many Lvl 2 instructor's out there.

sadly, my buddy who started the gym is shipping out next month for Afghanistan...things are already changing and i don't really like it...i may not be able to stomach it after he leaves. :(

blackjesus
01-04-2010, 09:27 PM
They should address the QC issue by actually making the certifications (at least the level 1 cert) actually mean something instead of it being a gimmee...or make the minimum for opening an affiliate be Lvl 2 cert.

It will be a good move.

Oso
01-04-2010, 09:42 PM
It will be a good move.

yea, the biggest red flag i've ever seen was when i heard that you only had to be at the seminar, do the wods (not even Rx them) and pay the $1k. I was like: 'what? that's some kung fu ****, right there!' ;)

but, i still like the workout protocols :)

Frost
01-05-2010, 04:26 AM
He trained Frank Shamrock. . really when did he train frank, i know frank did some kettlebel work with Mark Reifkind before his ceaser gracie fight (which was after mahlers MMA dvds came out) but other than his testimonial saying how good a coach mike is i have not seen any evidence of mike training him. And since Shamrock was already well known for his amazing cardio and strnegth before touching kettlebells its a moode point

Kettlebell is not the be-all end-all. Naked Warrior is about bodyweight training, ETK is about Kettlebell but you can use Ironmind's Kettlebell handle and Power To The People is all about budget training..

Dragon Door is not Microsoft. They are not the exculsive seller of KB...lots of companies including LIfeline makes Kettlebells as well You can get Kettlebells in KMart in Australia (but I seriously won't use it).

Pavel said you shouldn't use high rep to pump up your muscle. High Rep Swing/Snatch, however, is for your cardio. You are still doing presses with heavy weight and low reps.

naked warrior is essentially power to the people without weights, same techniques same training method, again great marketing, Pavel has sold the same book essentially twice, just like he did with his stretching books. He also said you couldn't use high reps for cardio... but that was before he started championing kettlebells :)

Kevin73
01-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Kettlebells are a marketing hype. You can do any exercise with dumbbells that you can with kettlebells and they are LOTS cheaper! WHY did kettlebell training become almost extinct? Because dummbells were more effective and could be used for more things. I am not against them, it's just that they are more marketing than anything else.

On to the next rant. I am SICK of people putting the word "Tactical" in front of everything to make it sound cooler.

Main Entry: tac·ti·cal
Pronunciation: \ˈtak-ti-kəl\
Function: adjective
Date: 1570
1 : of or relating to combat tactics: as a (1) : of or occurring at the battlefront <a tactical defense> <a tactical first strike> (2) : using or being weapons or forces employed at the battlefront <tactical missiles> b of an air force : of, relating to, or designed for air attack in close support of friendly ground forces
2 a : of or relating to tactics: as (1) : of or relating to small-scale actions serving a larger purpose (2) : made or carried out with only a limited or immediate end in view b : adroit in planning or maneuvering to accomplish a purpose

Where the **** do "pull ups" figure into something tactical? I work in law enforcement and I have NEVER known me or any other officer (including SWAT guys) to do a pull up during a raid/bust or arrest, closest maybe is climbing a fence. Maybe if you're military, and you are on a boat somewhere or an oil rig and you pull yourself up over the railing. But, my bet is that if you are a special forces guy that MIGHT have to do that, you don't need to go to a seminar to learn how to do it.

This is pure marketing bullcrap! Is the information good? Probably, and you could probably learn a thing or two to train better. But, PLEASE stop with all the tactical crap already. Just because you paint something black or camo does not mean it is "tactical"...you have a black flashlight? IT'S TACTICAL!!! Depending on what I eat tonight, I'll have some Tactical Toilet Paper for you!

Oso
01-05-2010, 08:20 PM
^^^great post^^^

blackjesus
01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
have not seen any evidence of mike training him. And since Shamrock was already well known for his amazing cardio and strnegth before touching kettlebells its a moode point

I read it somewhere before (T-nation?) but can't remember now. Even if Mike Mahler didn't train him, Frank Shamrock has, still, mentioned him a few times on his own site and quote his articles.

He also said you couldn't use high reps for cardio... but that was before he started championing kettlebells

where did he said that? He said not to use High Rep to PUMP your muscles and to do High Rep KB drills instead of old skool "road work".

Anyway, doesn't matter... I guess I have talked enough about Pavel, back to practising Kung Fu now.

This is pure marketing bullcrap! Is the information good? Probably, and you could probably learn a thing or two to train better. But, PLEASE stop with all the tactical crap already. Just because you paint something black or camo does not mean it is "tactical"...you have a black flashlight? IT'S TACTICAL!!! Depending on what I eat tonight, I'll have some Tactical Toilet Paper for you!

Hahahahahahahaha. Fair enough. Like how he addresses everyone "Comrade".

donbdc
01-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Kettlebells are a marketing hype. You can do any exercise with dumbbells that you can with kettlebells and they are LOTS cheaper! WHY did kettlebell training become almost extinct? Because dummbells were more effective and could be used for more things. I am not against them, it's just that they are more marketing than anything else.
1) KB are being used by the most highly respected strength coaches in the US, For NFL players for Olympic Athletes and Martial Artist.
2) The reason for the term Tactical is these are a very specific type of Pull Up that is required by the Marines. Will Williams was in the corp and in his last duty was to help condition the men and women. There are also Tactical Challenges around the country that require 3 specific excercises: (a) the dead lift (b) snatches w/ a 24 kg kb in 5 min (c) tactical pull ups.
These pull ups have a specefic name b/c they have a specific technique that is required to be counted.

On to the next rant. I am SICK of people putting the word "Tactical" in front of everything to make it sound cooler.

Main Entry: tac·ti·cal
Pronunciation: \ˈtak-ti-kəl\
Function: adjective
Date: 1570
1 : of or relating to combat tactics: as a (1) : of or occurring at the battlefront <a tactical defense> <a tactical first strike> (2) : using or being weapons or forces employed at the battlefront <tactical missiles> b of an air force : of, relating to, or designed for air attack in close support of friendly ground forces
2 a : of or relating to tactics: as (1) : of or relating to small-scale actions serving a larger purpose (2) : made or carried out with only a limited or immediate end in view b : adroit in planning or maneuvering to accomplish a purpose

Where the **** do "pull ups" figure into something tactical? I work in law enforcement and I have NEVER known me or any other officer (including SWAT guys) to do a pull up during a raid/bust or arrest, closest maybe is climbing a fence. Maybe if you're military, and you are on a boat somewhere or an oil rig and you pull yourself up over the railing. But, my bet is that if you are a special forces guy that MIGHT have to do that, you don't need to go to a seminar to learn how to do it.

As always I would suggest doing a little research into something before bashing it, contempt prior to investigation just keeps you in blissful ignorance!

Don Berry DC NASM RKC

Kevin73
01-07-2010, 06:11 AM
As always I would suggest doing a little research into something before bashing it, contempt prior to investigation just keeps you in blissful ignorance!

Don Berry DC NASM RKC

Then tell me what a tactical pull up is. Seriously. In what context is the pull up taught? Not different ways to do a pull up or different training methods of training them, but "WHY" it is a tactical pull up.

I didn't say that you didn't have good information or that someone couldn't learn a thing or two on learning to exercise differently. My complaint is on the marketing aspect of it.

I have and train kettlebells. I just don't think that they are the end-all for training. I think they have a place and a great place depending on your goals. But, I also think that the cost to benefit ration isn't as much when using the same drills with dumbbells.

Mr Punch
01-07-2010, 07:14 AM

Don Berry DC NASM RKC

Then tell me what a tactical pull up is. Seriously. In what context is the pull up taught? Not different ways to do a pull up or different training methods of training them, but "WHY" it is a tactical pull up.QFT. I asked the same thing.

Eagerly awaiting your answer.

Frost
01-07-2010, 07:27 AM

Don Berry DC NASM RKC

research what, now kettlebells were used completly differenlty in the soivet system of athletic training than how dragon door says to use them... or research Pavels background to find out its not real (like mahler and Cotter did)?

donbdc
01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Kevin and Mr Punch,
Sorry if I wasn't clear on the point I was trying to make.
It is called tactical pull ups b/c of the tactical strength competitions around the country. The have chosen to incorporate the marine corps pull up which is a thumbless grab, directly over the shoulder, no kipping and pull to the clavicle, then all the way to elbow lock out.
Why they cose this style I don't know, probably driven by some former marines involvement w/ the program and their level of difficulty.
As for Pavel and RKC Frost, I don't understand why you are so concerned. Mahler and the rest still train w/ KB's they have their own very effective sysytems. It does not negate the effectiveness of the bell. And as I have stated before the RKC is bigger than Pavel. With names like Grey Cooke PT, Stuart McGill Phd having a very heavy influence in the system.
Kevin, I never said KB's are the end all of training. I am training w/ Olympic Lifting Legend Marty Gallagher. I just know it has helped my KungFu and my lifting.
As for my background, I have been doing MA for over 30 yrs, a chiropractor specialising in sports rehab for over 20. Certified by the National Association of Sports Medecine as a Corrective Excecise Specialiaist , a Performance Enhancement Specialist and yes a Russian Kettlebell Instructor under Pavel (which by the way was the hardest thing I have ever done) I have been trained by Olympic trainers, NFL sports med Dr.'s and just too many college strength and conditioning coaches to name. I am also an instuctor in WC under Sifu Randy Williams.
I simply wanted to share an opportunity for someone to learn a little. To improve or double their pull up numbers. To break down the Intracacies of the TGU and get the most out of it.
As far as being able to learn this on You Tube, Well I guess I could learn WC from that too!
Have a great day Train Hard !

Kevin73
01-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Kevin and Mr Punch,
Sorry if I wasn't clear on the point I was trying to make.
It is called tactical pull ups b/c of the tactical strength competitions around the country. The have chosen to incorporate the marine corp pull up which is a thumbless grab, directly over the shoulder, no kipping and pull to the clavicle, then all the way to elbow lock out.
Why they cose this style I don't know, probably driven by some former marines involvement w/ the program and their level of difficulty.
As for Pavel and RKC Frost, I don't understand why you are so concerned. Mahler and the rest still train w/ KB's they have their own very effective sysytems. It does not negate the effectiveness of the bell. And as I have stated before the RKC is bigger than Pavel. With names like Grey Cooke PT, Stuart McGill having a very heavy influence in the system.
Kevin I never said KB's are the end all of training. I am training w/ Olympic Lifting Legend Marty Gallagher. I just know it has helped my KungFu and my lifting.
As for my background, I have been doing MA for over 30 yrs, a chiropractor specialising in sports rehab for over 20. Certified by the National Association of Sports Medecine as a Corrective Excecise Specialiaist , a Performance Enhance ment Specialist and yes a Russian Kettlebell Instructor under Pavel (which by the way was the hardest ting I have ever done) I have been trained by Olympic trainers, NFL sports med Dr.'s and just too many college strength and conditioning coaches to name. I am also an instuctor in WC under Sifu Randy Williams.
I simply wanted to share an oppertunity for someone to learn a little. To improve or double their pull up numbers. To break down the Intracacies of the TGU and get the most out of it.
As far as being able to learn this on You Tube, Well I guess I could learn WC from that too!
Have a great day Train Hard !

Thanks for the reply, makes alot more sense calling it that in view of other contests that use the name (not that I agree with their choice in names though). I have just seen SOOO many people calling exercise "combat this" or "tactical that" that it gets on my nerves to be honest. That was my main rant, just the overhyping of things nowadays in the martial arts and fitness realm.