PDA

View Full Version : One's Martial Art and One's Writing

kfson
12-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Is there a relationship between one's proficiency in one's chosen martial art and the "way" one writes?

Pob
12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I hear that for those that practice Kendo, with training, the pen really is mightier than the sword - boom-tshhhh!

But, no I don't think there is a correlation. Perhaps there is a link between how articulate someone is and how likely they are to hit first though.

David Jamieson
12-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Is there a relationship between one's proficiency in one's chosen martial art and the "way" one writes?

jeez uki, you already asked this. albeit in a bloated and long winded way, but in short, no.

Many great masters of old couldn't even write their own name.
The same is true of many moderns who are also able to fight with veracity.

David Jamieson
I hear that for those that practice Kendo, with training, the pen really is mightier than the sword - boom-tshhhh!

But, no I don't think there is a correlation. Perhaps there is a link between how articulate someone is and how likely they are to hit first though.

kendo is play time with bamboo. It has completely deteriorated as a martial art form and in it's current format has little value to martial artists beyond the age of 5.

kfson
What about those that are quick to anger through the pen?

David Jamieson
12-22-2009, 01:18 PM
What about those that are quick to anger through the pen?

how do you know they're angry?

Maybe they're just trolling.

Pob
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
kendo is play time with bamboo. It has completely deteriorated as a martial art form and in it's current format has little value to martial artists beyond the age of 5.

I only used it for reference to make my pun work.

kfson
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Maybe they're just trolling.

I know what you're saying. But sometimes it seems fairly obvious. Then again, a highly skilled Troll.

Pob
12-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Troll-fu is not a martial art.

David Jamieson
12-22-2009, 01:23 PM
wtf is a highly skilled troll? lol

is that someone who isn't sitting in their own filth while they drive their computer with their overinflated ego seeking some thrill in their otherwise worthless existence?

bwahahaa. Being a pain in the ass to a regular community doesn't take any skill at all. It takes a half wit with a computer and a poor ability at interacting socially in anonymous environments.

trolls are often angry small minded people who were more than likely abused as children or regarded with indifference by their own family. They have a sociopathic outlook on life and think that they are someone who is somehow more special than any other potential organ bank out there.

we're all meat piles and some of us talk. 100 years from now, none of this will mean zip. Including everyone who is typing here.

kfson
12-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Troll-fu is not a martial art.

I've seen it used as such to draw the person out of his/her stability into a state of anger where fuzzy headedness overcomes clear thinking.

David Jamieson
12-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I've seen it used as such to draw the person out of his/her stability into a state of anger where fuzzy headedness overcomes clear thinking.

pfft. You've seen people typing out hateful things towards each other.
Again, forums on the internet have no tone, no emotion. They are like heavybags.

Pound away at it, it feels nothing.

I think it is the troll who wishes s/he is inciting some emotion. i think they try and try and try to see if someone is angry but they are forever unsatisfied because in reality, they have no courage to actually do what they do in an anonymous forum.

There is no skill in being a prolific windbag and coward.

that's just what it is to be a troll.

Pob
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM

Then surely the person lured in has learned nothing from their martial arts?

kfson
12-22-2009, 01:35 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Lucas
12-22-2009, 01:39 PM

pretty vague in regards to writing. my MA knowledge makes (i do write fiction) my action scenes more specific. such as someone who knows nothing of MA wouldnt describe a turn back kick, knife edge of the hand, as well as many other things.

so in my situation, yes MA knowledge does effect my writing.

Pob
12-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ok, I'll elaborate. The troll is the equivalent of an annoying little ***** jabbing their finger at you and yelling "Come on then!!" over and over and over.

You've got two options - 1: break their face. Or 2: let them carry on until they get bored and realise they look like the annoying little ***** they are.

Although option 1 will arguably give you the greatest satisfaction in the short term, option 2 will serve you best in the long term.

Don't give them what they crave.
Don't give them the attention.

Don't feed the trolls.

As for the initial question - I've noticed a correlation in that those who have difficulty in articulating their point, or how they feel are more likely to lash out physically (in real life).

David Jamieson
12-22-2009, 01:55 PM

lured into what?

what do you think a troll lures anyone into?

a 1 minute waste of time responding to someone followed by ignoring them? lol

Hardwork108
12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Ok, I'll elaborate. The troll is the equivalent of an annoying little ***** jabbing their finger at you and yelling "Come on then!!" over and over and over.

You've got two options - 1: break their face. Or 2: let them carry on until they get bored and realise they look like the annoying little ***** they are.

Although option 1 will arguably give you the greatest satisfaction in the short term, option 2 will serve you best in the long term.

Don't give them what they crave.
Don't give them the attention.

Don't feed the trolls.

As for the initial question - I've noticed a correlation in that those who have difficulty in articulating their point, or how they feel are more likely to lash out physically (in real life).

Well put andI agree with the above. (I hope that David Jamieson will read this too once he is done with describing himself to the whole forum) I guess what you say holds true in most situations.

Of course, when faced with a possible attack from multiple opponents then one might be better off attacking first, but then that is not the point of this subject.:)

HW108

dimethylsea
12-22-2009, 02:12 PM

While I know this likely isn't what you meant by "the way one writes".. something to consider..

http://www.art-virtue.com (http://www.art-virtue.com)

from this website..
"A Chinese old man used to say, “I have walked on bridges longer than you walk on the roads; and I have had more salt than you eat rice.” A master Chinese calligrapher might say the same thing: “I have torn more paper than you have written on.” They are simply referring to “experience” rather than bragging. Don’t frustrate to start it over again and again. Just try it!
... lifetime Lin Mo [emulation of high-level samples and form books] is absolutely indispensable. "

I got several valuable reminders about how to approach my martial arts practice from reading about how the best calligraphers practice Chinese writing.

What if we all had repeated our jibengong exercises a number of times equal to the words we have written?

kfson
12-22-2009, 02:15 PM
While I know this likely isn't what you meant by "the way one writes".. something to consider..

http://www.art-virtue.com (http://www.art-virtue.com)

from this website..
"A Chinese old man used to say, “I have walked on bridges longer than you walk on the roads; and I have had more salt than you eat rice.” A master Chinese calligrapher might say the same thing: “I have torn more paper than you have written on.” They are simply referring to “experience” rather than bragging. Don’t frustrate to start it over again and again. Just try it!
... lifetime Lin Mo [emulation of high-level samples and form books] is absolutely indispensable. "

I got several valuable reminders about how to approach my martial arts practice from reading about how the best calligraphers practice Chinese writing.

What if we all had repeated our jibengong exercises a number of times equal to the words we have written?

AHA! A non-literalist jumps the bounds.

Pob
12-22-2009, 02:37 PM
lured into what?

what do you think a troll lures anyone into?

a 1 minute waste of time responding to someone followed by ignoring them? lol

Traditionally it would be into their dingey cave below the bridge that they believe they protect so that they CAN EAT YOOOOOOOOU! Thanks to those heroes of old - the three Billy Goats Gruff bridges are now safe. However, because the trolls were then deemed to be homeless they were eligible for social housing. So now they have access to the internet and instead of "protecting" their bridge they now attack anyone who appears on their computer screen for daring to invade their internets.

David Jamieson
12-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Well put andI agree with the above. (I hope that David Jamieson will read this too once he is done with describing himself to the whole forum) I guess what you say holds true in most situations.

Of course, when faced with a possible attack from multiple opponents then one might be better off attacking first, but then that is not the point of this subject.:)

HW108

bwahaha.

didn't like my point about "discussions" I see.

How's that feeling of yours? Is it hurt? Would you like to be alone with your thought?

(this is trolling. See how I troll the troll hw108? Now watch him come back and make some insults because (more trolling) he has a feable mind and cannot resist but to lash out at his detractors)

:D

Lucas
12-22-2009, 02:52 PM
so i wasnt supposed to give my serious response to the OP?

kfson
12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
so i wasnt supposed to give my serious response to the OP?

Is there a relationship between the word and kung fu?

Lucas
12-22-2009, 03:03 PM
what do you mean by 'the word'?

like henry rollins spoken word? sure why not, he can kick some ass. black flag ftw.

bawang
12-22-2009, 03:17 PM
are you try to tell me the man who put rubber fist in my anoos was a ho.mosexual??

Lucas
12-22-2009, 03:18 PM
are you try to tell me the man who put rubber fist in my anoos was a ****sexual??

wtf yo?

:confused:

bawang
12-22-2009, 03:18 PM
im trolling th e internet
lolol

seriously speaking, sometimes i read this forum and it gives me the same feeling when i had too many taco bell

Lucas
12-22-2009, 03:21 PM
oh lol

that makes more sense.

here this might help.

its a trolling motor, it will help you troll faster, stronger, smarter, better in all troll ways.

http://blindvarmintcamo.com/catalog/images/MinnKota%20Transom%20Mount.gif

kfson
12-22-2009, 03:21 PM
what do you mean by 'the word'?

like henry rollins spoken word? sure why not, he can kick some ass. black flag ftw.

Not the biblical logos...

Lucas
12-22-2009, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't know. I do not partake of that/those religion(s).

Pob
12-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Is there a relationship between the word and kung fu?

I don't think so. One was a "yoof" programme on Channel 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8z4a86aggU) in the UK in the 90's, while the other was a 70's Western series starring David Carradine. Both series were cancelled, however only the star of one has the notable honour of having "death by masturbation" associated with him.

taai gihk yahn
12-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Not the biblical logos...

watch your mouth; Derrida is watching...

kfson
12-22-2009, 06:05 PM
watch your mouth; Derrida is watching...

Dang, I wanted to get into some deconstruction. Oh well.

Hardwork108
12-22-2009, 06:19 PM
bwahaha.

didn't like my point about "discussions" I see.

I believe that you are confused and are mixing up threads. You are referring to our discussion in another thread...LOL!

Actually, I loved your point about "discussions". I answered your query to the full here:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=978329&postcount=185

How's that feeling of yours?
Never felt better and thanks for asking...LOL

Is it hurt?
Why should it be hurt? After all, you are the one who is "crying"! LOL

Would you like to be alone with your thought?
Us geniuses are always alone with our thoughts.:D

(this is trolling. See how I troll the troll hw108?

You and a dozen pretentious glorified kickboxers here (with "decades" of MA "experience"). LOL!

Now watch him come back and make some insults because (more trolling) he has a feable mind and cannot resist but to lash out at his detractors)

READ: "I David Jamieson will attempt reverse psychology hoping that it will discourage HW from coming back and putting me in my place." LOL!

HW108

:

Lokhopkuen
12-22-2009, 07:13 PM

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :

Lokhopkuen
12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
oh lol

that makes more sense.

here this might help.

its a trolling motor, it will help you troll faster, stronger, smarter, better in all troll ways.

http://blindvarmintcamo.com/catalog/images/MinnKota%20Transom%20Mount.gif

You never cease to amaze:D

SPJ
12-22-2009, 07:58 PM

I am not a good writer

my mind is somewhat in Chinese poetic terms

since I recited many and many chinese poems when I was a little kid.

so I write chin grish in poetic way.

:)

kfson
12-23-2009, 08:20 AM
I am not a good writer

my mind is somewhat in Chinese poetic terms

since I recited many and many chinese poems when I was a little kid.

so I write chin grish in poetic way.

:)

Cool.

Which brings up the Poetic. Since poetic is by it's very nature non-literal, is this a better avenue in teaching and describing kung fu or do you prefer the literal/technical?

SPJ
12-23-2009, 08:54 AM
old chinese are in 4 character sentences with a lot straight lines and square shapes

due to the need to carve them on the bamboo sticks

each character may mean several things but is defined by the context and the words before and after

the same idea and situation may be said about kung fu

we may first learn one technique/move/word/character at a time

we then string several moves together in a combo depending on the context/conditions

the function and purpose of the moves are differed in each context

as if meanings of the words are differed in each sentence.

---

kfson
12-23-2009, 09:01 AM
old chinese are in 4 character sentences with a lot straight lines and square shapes

due to the need to carve them on the bamboo sticks

each character may mean several things but is defined by the context and the words before and after

the same idea and situation may be said about kung fu

we may first learn one technique/move/word/character at a time

we then string several moves together in a combo depending on the context/conditions

the function and purpose of the moves are differed in each context

as if meanings of the words are differed in each sentence.

---

I bow to you great one.

uki
12-23-2009, 09:04 AM
I bow to you great one.and to the power of his words. :)

sanjuro_ronin
12-23-2009, 09:27 AM
The true might of the pen !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELKMNjZx9o

Dragonzbane76
12-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Mr. Lok where is that can of spray you liked to spray me with? the troll one:)

might need to borrow it for Mr. HW8

kfson
12-23-2009, 09:31 AM
The true might of the pen !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELKMNjZx9o

Yow, and anger.

GeneChing
12-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Is there a relationship between one's proficiency in one's chosen martial art and the "way" one writes? If there was, I could be a great grandmaster poobah sigung!

I think that for some, art is borderless. That is to say that some people have a talent to excel in multiple arts and can write and practice martial arts with a certain mastery. However, that's not a rule by any means. Reading the constant stream of submissions that I do, I can tell you for certain that there's no universal correlation between writing and martial arts. I know plenty of writers that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper sack. I also know plenty of extraordinary martial artists who can't even write a ransom note.

So there can be a relationship, but its not a necessity by any means. It's really all about the individual.

Lucas
12-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I also know plenty of extraordinary martial artists who can't even write a ransom note.

know that from experience huh?

;)

uki
12-23-2009, 11:30 AM
know that from experience huh?haven't you ever read his magazine?? :p:D