PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu episode of Chowder

MasterKiller
12-24-2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpyyqR0K7t0

GeneChing
02-25-2024, 10:43 AM
I was quoted in the Sentinel about the Clam Chowder Cook-off. :cool:

Amateur chefs compete at Clam Chowder Cook-off (https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2024/02/24/amateur-chefs-compete-at-clam-chowder-cook-off/)
https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/STC-L-ASCHOWDUH-0225-WBOX-02_180664790.jpg?w=877
Witches and amateur clam chowder chefs, Brenna Lay and her mom, Bernadine Anderson, stir up a couple of batches of chowder at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk’s 2024 Santa Cruz Clam Chowder Cook-Off on Saturday. (Aric Sleeper/Santa Cruz Sentinel)
By ARIC SLEEPER | asleeper@santacruzsentinel.com
PUBLISHED: February 24, 2024 at 4:21 p.m. | UPDATED: February 24, 2024 at 7:06 p.m.

SANTA CRUZ — A savory blend of mouth-watering aromas permeated the air at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk on a sunny Saturday afternoon as about 50 teams of amateur chefs brewed massive batches of clam chowder, both Boston and Manhattan styles, in a heated battle for plaques, prizes and glory.

The annual competition draws teams of culinary-minded “clamophiles” from across the Monterey and San Francisco bay areas and the state. Each participating group lines the Boardwalk, from the Tsunami ride to the colonnade, with their creatively themed booths such as longtime participants “Silence of the Clams,” and the British-themed “Bloody Brilliant Chowder.”

The Santa Cruz Clam Chowder Cook-off was founded in 1982 as a one-day event with around 30 teams and later expanded into a two-day affair so that amateurs and professional chefs could compete separately. The annual event also serves as a fundraiser for the city of Santa Cruz’s Parks and Recreation Department.

https://i0.wp.com/www.santacruzsentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/STC-L-ASCHOWDUH-0225-WBOX-01_180664064.jpg?fit=780%2C9999px&ssl=1
Betsy Ross of the “Betsy Ross’ Famous Clam Chowder” crew not only chose a presidential theme for her family’s 2024 Santa Cruz Clam Chowder Cook-off team, but also for her kids, who are all named after a U.S. president. (Aric Sleeper/Santa Cruz Sentinel)

The contest features award categories for best Boston and Manhattan chowder, plus awards for “People’s Choice,” “Most Tasted,” and “Best Theme.”

The 2024 cook-off, alongside the fair weather, drew hundreds of clam fans to the Boardwalk such as Santa Cruz resident Kenji Burs, who showed up to the cook-off a little early to check out the various themed teams, of which, he favored the groups who based their themes on darker subject matter.

“I love all the horror-based teams like the “Chowder Witches” and the “Silence of the Clams,” said Burs. “And I just love chowder to begin with. There’s a spot in my heart where chowder brings me back to, a nostalgic place where I feel warm and comfortable, so I’m hoping to get some of that. And I’m a garlic lover so if they add a little extra garlic to the clam chowder, they get my vote.”

Each team does seem to have its own X factor, whether it’s a secret ingredient or technique, but not all teams are as eager to give it away such as the “Chowder Witches,” from Manteca, who said they are descended from a long line of potion makers. The mother-daughter sorceress team were remiss to divulge their chowder’s magic ingredient, but did explain their technique.

“You don’t want to put everything in all at once,” said “Chowder Witch” Brenna Lay. “You want to go slow and layer the flavors. If you dump everything in at once, it doesn’t have time to incorporate and marry together. You have to go a little bit at a time.”

“And it’s got to be thick,” added Lay’s mom, Bernadine Anderson.

Betsy Ross of the eponymous “Betsy Ross’ Famous Clam Chowder” did reveal her secret ingredient — fish sauce. Ross not only chose a patriotic theme for her chowder-making team at the cook-off, but also for the names of her children.

“I was the first one in my family to be born in the states and my parents wanted an Americana name, so they named me Betsy Ross,” said Ross. “I kept the tradition with my kids and named them all after presidents. There’s Lincoln, Jackson, Clinton, Kennedy, Reagan and Madison.”

The members of the Bay Area based “Clam Clam Chowder Gang” were participating in the Clam Chowder Cook-Off for the second time after winning an award for second place for their chowder last year.

“This year we are hoping to win number one,” said “Clam Clam Chowder Gang” member Trang Hoang of Berkeley. “It’s also great to give back to the community. The money is also going to Parks and Rec so why not give back and have fun, too.”

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/STC-L-ASCHOWDUH-0225-WBOX-03_180665512.jpg?w=780
Insurance agent Lydia Harville and her "Clams Department" staff are as happy to help with an insurance issue as they are to cook up a few batches of clam chowder at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk's annual chowder cook-off. (Aric Sleeper/Santa Cruz Sentinel)

The contest’s judges consisted of city and county staff and elected officials past and present. The judges were making their way down the Boardwalk just after noon Saturday such as Santa Cruz City Councilmember Scott Newsome who said that when it comes to a great clam chowder, it’s all about the taste.

“I’m looking for good flavor,” said Newsome.

“I have been judging the chowder competition since I worked for Sam Farr,” added fellow judge Rachel Dann, who has worked for numerous local elected officials from former Rep. Farr to fellow cook-off judge, Rep. Jimmy Panetta. “I’ve tasted hundreds of chowders.”

Seabright resident Gene Ching was eagerly awaiting the clock to strike one so he could put his official cook-off tasting kit to good use. Ching said that the secret to an excellent chowder is in its “clamminess.”

“Sometimes there will be too much cream or too much salt that just overpowers the clams,” said Ching. “It’s really all about the clams. The chowder should accentuate the clams and not overpower them.”

Loren Alander, head chef of the West Sacramento Moose Lodge team, does not use bacon in their chowder for the vegetarians in the crowd. Like Ching, Alander said he felt that the secret to a good chowder is in the clams.

“We use 15 pounds of clams in each pot,” said Alander. “This is our third year, and each year we learn something new. We also meet lots of people and we have been lucky to have such great weather.”

If you go

What: Santa Cruz Clam Chowder Cook-Off professional competition.

When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday; public tasting begins at 1 p.m.

Where: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, 400 Beach St., Santa Cruz.

Cost: Tasting kits are $15; admission is free.

Clamminess FTW!