PDA

View Full Version : any good clips? Bi Jong/boxing drills?

TenTigers
12-26-2009, 12:54 AM
I'm looking to see how JKD guys utilize the bi-jong with boxing hands. From what I've seen, the bi-jong allows the hands to be a bit more foward to intercept hands, as opposed to a boxer's guard which is too tight for this. The problem arises when the hands must also cover as the strikes go out-ok, not a big issue, just training, but I'm interested in how JKD tackles this.
Also-when you tuck your chin into your shoulder, it alters the way strikes are thrown. What are your views on this?.

Fa Xing
12-26-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm looking to see how JKD guys utilize the bi-jong with boxing hands. From what I've seen, the bi-jong allows the hands to be a bit more foward to intercept hands, as opposed to a boxer's guard which is too tight for this. The problem arises when the hands must also cover as the strikes go out-ok, not a big issue, just training, but I'm interested in how JKD tackles this.
Also-when you tuck your chin into your shoulder, it alters the way strikes are thrown. What are your views on this?.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question but I'll give it a go anyways. The main reason we are taught to have our lead hand out a little forward is less about trapping and more about cheating. You want to cheat those hands forward in order to intercept (jeet) the opponents movement. Now you don't want to have those hands to far out there, however.

From a JKD position you want to have that rear hand right in front of your face while the front is cheated out anywhere from a fists distance to two fists distances away from your shoulder.

Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VizTcrhIOwM

In the vid you will see one of Jerry Poteet's instructors Octavio Quintero demonstrating the posture with the straight lead at about 0:24. Now, when it comes to trapping that is when contact is already made, but that rear hand is where it is in order to parry or block any on coming attack should that be necessary.

the bi-jong allows the hands to be a bit more foward to intercept hands

It's not that we are intercepting their hands, no JKD practitioner who has actually really learned JKD is going to slap-box with an opponent. The JKDist will intercept the persons face.

The problem arises when the hands must also cover as the strikes go out-ok, not a big issue, just training, but I'm interested in how JKD tackles this.

It's not too much of a problem because one hand is always by the face while the other is striking just like in boxing.

Also-when you tuck your chin into your shoulder, it alters the way strikes are thrown. What are your views on this?

Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but the strikes are thrown just as in boxing, using the waist/hips to rotate and torque the strike.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RPKsOZPAKXU/Sdt-MOXzbQI/AAAAAAAAAF4/My-a-6eEGrs/s320/Straight+effing+lead.jpg

In terms of the chin, we obviously don't keep it down like a thai fighter would (nearly touching the chest) but it is down just enough to be under the protection of the shoulders.

TenTigers
12-26-2009, 11:33 AM
ok, I stand corrected, when I said, intercept the hands, I should have included striking as well, as they happen together-nobody goes in to trap or intercept hands, they go in to strike. If a hand obstructs, then it is dealt with while striking, etc. yeah, I should've written slower and re-read before posting. But, yeah. I get what you are saying.
Looking at the clip-that is pretty much the way I play it as well.-Just interested in seeing different teaching approaches.
Thanx-you've pretty much covered it.

Dragonzbane76
12-26-2009, 01:15 PM
In terms of the chin, we obviously don't keep it down like a thai fighter would (nearly touching the chest) but it is down just enough to be under the protection of the shoulders.

yes the tucking of chin is for protection in boxing. The "button" as most boxers call it on the chin, is an area of protection. as for altering the punch from a cover position i'm not sure what you are asking. Maybe if you give me the 'way' you are doing it, or were taught, I can give some perspective on the boxing side you are asking.
boxing always, at least how i am trained, maintains hands up and chin tucked. closed box as i was taught. I learned to keep my right hand glove on my chin a little to the side for protection. (southpaw) orthodox is left.
Funny thing my boxing coach always b!itchs at me for my stance when boxing. It's to wide for his liking. But that comes from my traditional background (kicks). just one habit i can't break or won't, i think he's come to realize that with me. :)

TenTigers
12-26-2009, 01:40 PM
okay, the way I was taught boxing (going way, way back in HS and college) you form the "three way cover." My coach said you form a box, you fight out of the box.which is why he calls it boxing. (Not sure that is the origin of the term, but the definition works nonetheless) The rear hand by the cheekbone, the lead shoulder raised slightly, and the chin tucked, forming the other "shield", and the lead hand in front. As each strike is thrown, the other hand/shoulder/chin forms the shield.

Dragonzbane76
12-26-2009, 03:25 PM
pretty much what i was taught that you answered.

when one hand goes for strike other comes up for cover yes. when i did traditional the stances were always switching and flowing together. I think this is were boxing truely differs in that you are in a static stance most times. as for altering of the punch say from the traditional aspect then, i'm thinking, your stance would be the key to what your asking. unless i'm misunderstanding your question. which i might be. :)

TenTigers
12-26-2009, 04:03 PM
yeah, I think the issue is, that with the hands held more on centerline, rather than by the cheekbones, it's harder to coordinate the coverage while striking-which quite frankly, is simply a matter of practice (no excuses)
The other thing is that with the Hung Kuen jik kuen (jab) and ping choy (cross, or reverse punch) the elbow is down, aligned behind the punch. Keeping the shoulder up tends to develop the habit of having the elbows fly out when striking and having the strikes be from the waist and shoulders and arms,often mostly arms, rather than with the waist and hips, with the arms "connected."
Again, I know, it boils down to being very body concious and aware of what and how the body is working. This is often lost on the beginner student, and especially if you are teaching younger students, and then even more so when teaching a group.

Fa Xing
12-26-2009, 07:27 PM
When we do the JKD straight punches, as you rotate to punch say on your right side, your left fist should be by your left cheek and the right shoulder up slightly to cover your right cheek.

It's definitely interesting to see how other styles do it, and to see that in the end it's really not all that dissimilar.