PDA

View Full Version : Surprised there wasn't a Sherlock Holmes using Wing Chun thread yet =)

AdrianK
12-26-2009, 04:29 AM
Anyone catch the movie yet? If I remember correctly, Robert Downey Jr used a Pak Sao-Lop Sao, vertical punches, po pai, tan sao and what might be considered a bong sao used as a strike.

Cool stuff. It looked good, but I still lol'd through the scene, especially when he took the classic Wing chun stance at the end of his fight. :D

Taryn P.
12-26-2009, 08:14 AM
When I saw the trailer, and saw that there was fisticuffs in the movie, I wondered how much (if any) of Robert's wing chun was going to show. :)

dnovice
12-28-2009, 12:02 PM
haha. Exactly what went through my mind when I saw Sherlock holmes this Saturday. He was definitely using some wing chun... it was used loosely but it was WC for sure.

I guess WC looks real good on the screen too.

goju
12-28-2009, 08:34 PM
yeah that was cool having holmes know wc!:D and quite a bit of it as well he used the poplice batons like the butterfly knives as well

the whole movie was brilliant and ill fight nayone who disagrees with me!:mad:

anerlich
01-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Surprised there wasn't a Sherlock Holmes using Wing Chun thread yet

There has been such a thread, not that long ago. I can't be bothered searching, it might have had RD jr in the title.

IIRC the consensus was that RD jr looked pretty good and the WC references were interesting, but the gross injustice done to the stories and character would have Sir Arthur Conan Doyle spinning like a top in his grave.

Wayfaring
01-02-2010, 09:42 AM
IIRC the consensus was that RD jr looked pretty good and the WC references were interesting, but the gross injustice done to the stories and character would have Sir Arthur Conan Doyle spinning like a top in his grave.

I actually liked the slightly macabre slant and character interaction between Downey and Jude Law. Guy Ritchie was trying to spice up the depiction. He did a good job IMO.

Not surprising on a wc forum they'd prefer the 1800's version and refer to dead people spinning in their graves if they knew how someone changed their classic depiction. ;)