PDA

View Full Version : Taiji Tonglong Gathering for 2002.

Taijimantis
10-15-2001, 02:05 AM
For those TCPM practitoners out ther there is a gathering in the beginning stages of planning for the remaining disciples of Chiu Chuk-Kai.

It is possible that it will be held at my University and be open to select members of the public as the potential sponsor would be the asian Studies program there. It would be a wonderful opportunity for cultural exchange for those students interested in the Asian Martial Arts.

We are thinking of a clinic for advanced students with Sifu Ly, some presentations by other schools, history and philosophy presentations by some of Michigans scholars and of course Tai Chi and kung Fu.

TCPM family, please respond :)
I am looking for connections to other schools. many I have... others I do not.

French, Robert... a little help mebby my old friends?

peace.

Craig

mantis108
10-16-2001, 03:09 AM
Hi Craig,

Rest assured that I will do my part. :)

I have already posted on the TJPM forum to rally support. I would echo my intent to rally support for this event here also. The HK contact that I have would be notify shortly. If there is anything of help please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Robert (Mantis108)

Contraria Sunt Complementa

cha kuen
10-16-2001, 05:32 AM
Mantis108,

You have an HK contact on tcpm? I'm in Hk righ tnow and I'd like to train with some TCPM guys.. can you email me perhaps?

pkduong@ucsd.edu

thank you

Tainan Mantis
10-19-2001, 06:36 AM
Where is your uni?

Also, I know a form called 12 old hands of Taiji Mantis, have you heard of it?

tiger lui
10-19-2001, 07:23 AM
hi,im a tcpmer and new to the forum.you talk about a gathering for tai mantis,are you aware of the chuk kai memorial martial arts tournament and banquet that was put on by the u.s.chuk kai tcpm federation on august 4 01 and the meeting of masters that followed,if this is old news excuse my ignorance.

mantis108
10-19-2001, 07:42 PM
Hi Cha Kuen,

Both of my mentors are on vacations in China (near the Wutang region). So I will have to wait till they return. How long are you staying in HK? You might want to seek out Sifu Kwong Kwan Wai. I believe he is still active in teaching.

Greeting and welcome aboard Tiger Lui,

Just thought I would briefly summerize a bit on the TCPM events in North American

1) There is an Annual gathering in the US by the US TCPM Federation (the one you mentioned) in August.

2) There is an Annual tournament in Canada hosted by Sifu Jack Wong (your group?) in September or October.

3) There will be (I believe for the first time) a gathering/seminar/clinic type of event by Sifu Ly Fo Yin (sp?) who is the Sifu of Taijimantis (the member) in Grand Rapid. This could happen in the summer of 2002 subject to a few things.

There might be other events which I might have forgotten to mention but those listed above are by the TCPM groups that I have contact with.

If you are interested in all things concerning TCPM, please visit our forum (hosted by yours truly) at TCPM forum (http://www.delphi.com/taijimantis). All TCPMer and friends are welcomed.

Hope Taijimantis won't mind my jumping the gun. :)

Mantis108

Taijimantis
10-20-2001, 10:19 PM
The gathering is not an event slated for the Taiji Praying Mantis Family ( I dont like "Tai Mantis" so forgive me please.)

The Banquet and tournament are fine and dandy for those things. The Gathering in 2002, (which is looking like it is going to be pushed back even further as Sifu hasnt communicated to me his expectations yet other than it cant be "too big")...

Anyway this gathering is to reuinite my Sifu with his Kung Fu brothers and sisters whom he has not seen in a very long time. Should students of these other Sifu come we plan on making it worth their while.

Many people do not know who my Sifu is. His name is Ly Hou Yen, and he is the Student of Sigung Chiu Chuk-kai who spent more time learning under the late grandmaster than anyone else alive today.
Sifu Ly ran somewhere in the realm of 25-30 schools with many thousands of Students in Vietnam over 12 years after Sigung returned to Hong Kong. His low profile here in the states is of his own choosing, but it does not diminish his skills.

It is fortunate that we still have access to a man like Sifu Ly. His attitude is much like that of Sigung in that his knowledge is not for sale at any price. All that one needs to do is come see him and ask.

It isnt a matter of convinience in my mind, but one of respect.

I hope we can get some more information on his expectations, I would like to see this reunion come together soon. The collective kungfu expertise of these men is unfathomable to me.

ShaolinMantis
10-24-2001, 08:28 PM
Greetings brothers, I just got my log-on info back
after a long break. I hope everyone is well.

I have passed along the info on the gathering. It will be easier for interested people to plan once a date is set.

respects

ShaolinMantis-I

mantis108
10-24-2001, 09:12 PM
Welcome back, my friend. :)

Mantis108

MasterPhil
10-24-2001, 10:55 PM
Does anybody know if sifu jack wong has a brother named albert?

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

tiger lui
10-25-2001, 04:45 AM
yes,sifu wong does have a brother named albert,he lives in toronto and teaches mai jong law hong.forgive me if i spelled the name of the style wrong :)

MasterPhil
10-25-2001, 05:32 PM
Thank you Tiger Lui for your answer.

I admit that Wong is quite a common lastname but... The Albert Wong I know lives in Ottawa, doesn't teach but used to many years ago. He taught taiji mantis and buksing clf. The stories I heard were that he had a brother who was a clf fighter but had left canada to return to live in hk.

I am wondering if the names are just a coincidence or if they are really related. I know Albert's mantis master was Chiu Chuk Kwai who died a few years ago so it would be quite a big coincidence. But I'm pretty sure he hasn't moved to toronto nor does he teach my jong law horn. So who knows?

My curiosity arose when I saw the website of Jack Wong's school. There is a gif animation of Chiu Chuk Kwai doing a basic form that is the same as the form I learned 10 years ago and still do today. So I thought: same form, same taiji mantis style, same master, same lastname. Could these two be related?

If anyone could give me more info on this form I would truly appreciate. Albert doesn't teach anymore and prefers to keep private. His student/my first sifu died a few years ago so there isn't many people I can ask for info anymore.

I tried talking with the only local mantis people I knew (they're 7*) but they didn't even knew taiji mantis existed and told me that my teacher probably made a mistake in the name of the style. Fools! Hahahaha.

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

mantis108
10-25-2001, 08:03 PM
Hi ST,

I believe you are talking about the Baat Da Ma Bo (8 Basic Stances) AKA Bodhidharma's Baat Da Ma Bo or simply called Baat Sik (8 styles/forms/poses). That's the seed and the foundation of TCPM. The entire form basically has 3 segments. First segment has 2 stance, second seg has another 2, and the final seg. has 4. The animated pictures loosely shows the form. The purpose of the form is to introduce basic tools and basic fighting concepts. Our first Mantis form, Bung Bo which is pretty much footwork form, uses these 8 stances all the way through (unlike the "monkey" footwork that's in the 7*). Of course, our Sau Fa also uses these stances. So having a solid training in the 8 Basic Stances is important. It is great that you keep training the form.

For more info. about TCPM, please visit TCPM Forum (http://www.delphi.com/taijimantis)

Regards

Mantis108