PDA

View Full Version : Oldest style

kfson
12-28-2009, 12:38 PM
What is considered to be the oldest living kung fu style (not school).

uki
12-28-2009, 12:38 PM
What is considered to be the oldest living kung fu style (not school).first comes snake, then comes dragon, but some say snake was the dragon. :D

kfson
12-28-2009, 12:40 PM
first comes snake, then comes dragon, but some say snake was the dragon. :D

This doesn't appear to be of India/Buddha source does it?

mooyingmantis
12-28-2009, 12:44 PM
At this point I would say there is no historically definitive answer to that question. I have trained in three styles of kung fu in my 41 years of training. Two claimed to come directly from the Shaolin temple. However, neither can be accurately traced back before the middle to late 1800's.
Honestly, I don't think we will ever know. Besides, I think the exaggerated legends are probably more fun to believe and pass on than the unknown ho-hum history would be.
Holding on to the dream,
Richard

uki
12-28-2009, 12:44 PM
This doesn't appear to be of India/Buddha source does it?kundalini energy was called the "serpent" energy. :)

uki
12-28-2009, 12:47 PM
At this point I would say there is no historically definitive answer to that question. I have trained in three styles of kung fu in my 41 years of training. Two claimed to come directly from the Shaolin temple. However, neither can be accurately traced back before the middle to late 1800's.
Honestly, I don't think we will ever know. Besides, I think the exaggerated legends are probably more fun to believe and pass on than the unknown ho-hum history would be.
Holding on to the dream,
Richardaccording to the order of the shaolin, the highest level one can become is the "silver dragon", which would be identical to bruce lee's JKD concepts... by returning to the beginning, you find the end... energy moves in a wave, much like the movements of a snake or serpent. :)

kfson
12-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Holding on to the dream,
Richard

After looking at the native India-Indian martial arts to find some kind of link, they seem unsophisticated and even distant from/to Tibetan or Chinese martial arts.

Is there a long historical "hotbed" of kung fu in China... Sechuan area or Chen/Shaolin Temple area, etc? Maybe this would give an indication however small.

uki
12-28-2009, 12:54 PM
After looking at the native India-Indian martial arts to find some kind of link, they seem unsophisticated and even distant from/to Tibetan or Chinese martial arts.now how about one who had a background in yoga/indian arts, who travelled while changing and adapting his style to suit his needs?

kfson
12-28-2009, 12:56 PM
kundalini energy was called the "serpent" energy. :)

Ah, so the source was through some kind of adept, someone like a Buddha himself, then. So a pure kung fu of this kind may not necessarily immitate an animal like a snake or dragon, but the very "nature" of the wave... itself.

SanHeChuan
12-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Oldest style

Shuai Jiao (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IjmnMaCk2Y)

Lucas
12-28-2009, 01:52 PM
spear/stick style ftw, as in, the way of resisting the spear. or so i have read in several sources that this is the oldest translation of wushu.

wasnt shuai jiao incorporated via the mongols? im just guessing there were weapon "styles" that predated that inception.

just all my opinion/theory/guesstimation based off of what i have read through out my studies.

SPJ
12-28-2009, 02:11 PM
yes. it is recorded and also with painting on the wall.

people from tribes that wore antler and butted each other

it is called di or jiao li

--

Fa Xing
12-28-2009, 06:15 PM
which would be identical to bruce lee's JKD

If that's true, than why not just skip all the other stuff and get straight to the heart of the matter (i.e., train in JKD) :):p:cool:

Xiao3 Meng4
12-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Don't forget "frightened angry parent protecting child" style.

Pretty old.

Drake
12-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Rock-fu I hear is quite old. There's also club-fu, bare hand-fu, and bigger stick-fu.

Scott R. Brown
12-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Rock-fu I hear is quite old. There's also club-fu, bare hand-fu, and bigger stick-fu.

And plain old "I'm-Bigger-Then-You-Fu"!

Xiao3 Meng4
12-28-2009, 07:55 PM
And plain old "I'm-Bigger-Then-You-Fu"!

Nice, that's an advanced form within both predator fu and prey fu. It's not always effective, though!

Scott R. Brown
12-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Nice, that's an advanced form within both predator fu and prey fu. It's not always effective, though!

Of course, nothing is always effective!:)

Xiao3 Meng4
12-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Of course, nothing is always effective!:)

Thanks for nothing! :)

Scott R. Brown
12-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for nothing! :)

I call it "Nothing Fu"! :D

You cannot find it, see it, grasp it, or defeat it!

Xiao3 Meng4
12-28-2009, 08:04 PM
I call it "Nothing Fu"! :D

You cannot find it, see it, grasp it, or defeat it!

Why say you can call it then? ;)

Cheeky monkey, wanting to submit that which cannot be defeated.

Scott R. Brown
12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Why say you can call it then? ;)

Cheeky monkey, wanting to submit that which cannot be defeated.

The same reason Tao is called Tao by Lao Tzu even though it cannot be described or grasped. We give it a name in order to discuss it with those who do not understand, we call it a "useful expedient"!;)

Xiao3 Meng4
12-28-2009, 08:17 PM
The same reason Tao is called Tao by Lao Tzu even though it cannot be described or grasped. We give it a name in order to discuss it with those who do not understand, we call it a "useful expedient"!;)

"Heeeere, Dao Dao Dao Dao Dao!" :D

The beginner has many answers, and few questions.
The practitioner has many questions, and few answers.
The master points.

Sometimes I worry that people will look at what does the pointing is all. :p

Scott R. Brown
12-28-2009, 08:34 PM
"Heeeere, Dao Dao Dao Dao Dao!" :D

The beginner has many answers, and few questions.
The practitioner has many questions, and few answers.
The master points.

Sometimes I worry that people will look at what does the pointing is all. :p

Since there is nothing to see, it doesn't matter whether one looks at the point, the pointer or the pointing.....it is all nothingness! :p:p

Xiao3 Meng4
12-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Again, thanks for nothing! :)

Scott R. Brown
12-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Again, thanks for nothing! :)

The pleasure is all yours!!:p:p:p:D

Xiao3 Meng4
12-28-2009, 08:48 PM
:D

Arrow-pierced snowflakes
Handed like a shish-ke-bab
To the hungry sun.

Happy Holidays! :)

Scott R. Brown
12-28-2009, 08:58 PM
:D

Arrow-pierced snowflakes
Handed like a shish-ke-bab
To the hungry sun.

Happy Holidays! :)

With barbecue sauce? Sounds yummy!:)

Happy Holidays!;)

Hardwork108
12-29-2009, 01:16 AM
If that's true, than why not just skip all the other stuff and get straight to the heart of the matter (i.e., train in JKD) :):p:cool:

JKD was the result of Bruce Lee's individual journey. He came to it through his INCOMPLETE kung fu training together with his cross training endeavors. He was an exceptional martial artist that managed to evolve his personal MA into a PHILOSOPHY we know as Jeet Kune Do. This discovery of his had nothing new about it, philosophically speaking, that is.

Where would he have ended if he had lived to his late 70s? Or had actually completed a high level kung fu style? We may never know the answer, but I am sure that he would have realized that all kung fu training will eventually lead to self expression and what you, as a person, find useful in hand to hand combat. Of course, exposure to the internals would have added a new dimension to his approach, not to mention, his arsenal.

To conclude. Bruce Lee's JKD is not kung fu. It is perhaps a more complete form of kick boxing for the street (including grappling, ground fighting etc), MMA, if you will.

Why train JKD when you can just train MMA? Why train MMA when you can just train Kickboxing? Interesting questions if you are that way inclined. The fact remains that they are not kung fu. You get more out of kung fu training, that is, if you are patient and train in an authentic kung fu school.

If you are none of the above then you really should "skip the other stuff" and practice MMA or Kickboxing or JKD.

HW108

uki
12-29-2009, 01:23 AM
If that's true, than why not just skip all the other stuff and get straight to the heart of the matter.whose to say i haven't?? :p

Don't forget "frightened angry parent protecting child" style.

Pretty old.aye... i'd watchout for those stylists, especially fathers, because they tend not to be afraid when they are angry and protecting their children. :)