PDA

View Full Version : (Y)ip Man VS Hung Gar Master???

blackjesus
12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
So Sammo Hung Will be a Hung Gar Sifu in Ip Man 2? Is it true that Ip Man has fought a Hung Gar Master in the actual history?:eek:

Xiao3 Meng4
12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
The only two Ip Man "fight stories" I know are the one where he threw a Mantis guy off a Fatshan stage onto a cafe table and made him break a rib, and the one where Leung Bik kicked his ass. If there are more, I'd love to hear 'em.

Yuen Kay San has some "fight stories" too. I suspect the moviemakers aren't going to be too particular about where in Wing Chun the stories are found, if at all. As long as none of the stories are Wong Fei Hung ones.

Vajramusti
12-28-2009, 07:06 PM
The only two Ip Man "fight stories" I know are the one where he threw a Mantis guy off a Fatshan stage onto a cafe table and made him break a rib, and the one where Leung Bik kicked his ass. If there are more, I'd love to hear 'em.

Yuen Kay San has some "fight stories" too. I suspect the moviemakers aren't going to be too particular about where in Wing Chun the stories are found, if at all. As long as none of the stories are Wong Fei Hung ones.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are lots of stories on Ip Man's skills. No point in listing them. Old time sifus- gave their opponents "face". Chen Fake bested a famous fighter but gave him face.
Wong Fei Hung was froma different generation. He also was from Fatshan.
Leung Jan was older than Wong Fei Hung.. supposedly they had a match with poles-no bragging involved..but Leung Jan was the king of the pole.

Different values compared to World Wide wrestling of today.

But on Sammo etc--- a movie is just a movie-not history.

joy chaudhuri

blackjesus
12-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Wong Fei Hong VS Leung Jan? What a fight!
I'm curious cause Hung Gar was my main style and I have heard of lots of stories but never related to Yip Man.

Pob
12-29-2009, 03:50 PM
a movie is just a movie-not history.

Especially the Ip Man movie. It's a Chinese anti-Japanese propoganda film based around a real person. Ip Man is the Chinese equivalent of Braveheart - but with even less fact.

It's a bloody good film though. Excellent example of the use of Mook Jong system at the end.

blackjesus
12-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah, the wooden dummy part at the end is awesome.
Donnie Yen is class.
Not sure how would I feel when I see a Hung Gar master being beaten in Yip Man II though. :confused:

Pob
12-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Not sure how would I feel when I see a Hung Gar master being beaten in Yip Man II though. :confused:

Don't forget, it's not really Wing Chun vs Hung Gar - it's two martial artists. The art is only as good as the practitioner. That, apparently, is something that Ip Man tried to get people to realise, but few understood.

LoneTiger108
12-30-2009, 11:06 AM
So Sammo Hung Will be a Hung Gar Sifu in Ip Man 2? Is it true that Ip Man has fought a Hung Gar Master in the actual history?:eek:

Would a present Hung Gar guy actually be told of a time when their ancestors were beaten by Ip Man?? No. I wouldn't think so either... even if it did happen.

But did Ip Man exchange with Hung Gar guys back in the day?? Winning or losing had no place in all the 'games' that apparently went on! Just 'playing'!

So I would think that he did 'fight/play' with a few...

sanjuro_ronin
12-30-2009, 11:10 AM
The past matters so little to what WE can do right now.
Its nice to wonder and think what Ip Man did/could have done or WFH or anyone else, its nice to romantize these things to a degree, we all like a good movie.
It is, however, totally irrelvant to the MA and can be, as we know, counter-productive.

Ali. R
12-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Good post,

Like I said earlier, people love to make things up as they go on this forum anyway…;)

And it would be nice…

Ali Rahim.

LaterthanNever
01-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I've studied both HG and WC--but I've never heard of that.

One story I've heard recently..even though WC was not involved was in the turn of the 20th century..a Hung Ga school was attacked on the Hong Kong docks by a series of Choy Li Fut schools(I've heard simultaneously?) and (I believe it was) Grandmaster Lum Jo kicked major a-s. :eek:

blackjesus
01-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Well said, brothers.
Sometimes, I'm a bit stubborn. LOL