PDA

View Full Version : CLF in Portland, OR ?

Lucas
12-29-2009, 11:45 AM
I cant seem to locate any in my town with the web. Maybe my web-fu sucks....or maybe there isnt any around me.

anyone here have any CLF family in my city?

jdhowland
01-03-2010, 10:24 AM
No response? Lucas, I'll ask my Bak Sing teacher if he knows of any CLF pratitioners in the area. He lived in Portland for several years.

Be well.

John

Lucas
01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
hey thanks man. this is my second half hazardly attempt to find some in my area. ive always liked what ive seen from that style.

from what ive found, theres not a lot of cma in my town for some reason

im definately going to check out that small circle place soon, so thats promising. in all likelyhood if it fits my schedule ill be training there soon. it seems like a no bs place. a big sign that says "jiujitsu" and well worn training equipment and mats.

Drake
01-04-2010, 12:15 PM
hey thanks man. this is my second half hazardly attempt to find some in my area. ive always liked what ive seen from that style.

from what ive found, theres not a lot of cma in my town for some reason

im definately going to check out that small circle place soon, so thats promising. in all likelyhood if it fits my schedule ill be training there soon. it seems like a no bs place. a big sign that says "jiujitsu" and well worn training equipment and mats.

Join the club, man. There's nothing out here, from any branch of CLF.

Lucas
01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
its a conspiracy to deny us the CLF!!

Drake
01-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Well, at least I can VTC with GM DFW for guidance. He's really good with this stuff.

jdhowland
01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
My teacher emailed me a response this morning. He knows of no clf in Portland.

Train with whomever you can. Despite the somewhat gimmicky reputation, Jay's jj is based on hardcore dzr and kodokan judo, both are heavy into training by wrestling. If you ever get a chance to spend a weekend in Seattle, look up Aaron Fields. His sombo/jj school is open to any form of wrestler.

If I get down there to see Greg Fong again, I'll try to look you up. Clf concepts are easy to apply to most styles.

Good luck.

John

Lucas
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
hey thanks for the attempt, i appreciate it.

i was training at greg fongs for a while, but i just couldnt make it on time often enough for the chen class. i get out of work about when the class starts, and i dont drive so i got burnt out trying to make it there regularly, and while $70 a month is a very reasonable price, i just couldnt justify paying it for something i couldnt actually get to on a regular basis. which sucks because he is a great teacher, and super funny. the best thing is that I know hes a pretty permanent fixture in china town, so he'll probably be there if i can get back to him.

maybe ill get a new job some day...or a car...oh wait, i need to get a license first...lol

that jujitsu is definately on my horizon though.

Walter
02-03-2010, 07:44 PM
lucas,

I just moved to PDX a few months ago. Not much kung fu out here, it seems.