PDA

View Full Version : How effective is mantis against multiple attackers?

phantom
10-18-2001, 08:15 PM
Has anybody ever successfully used mantis against multiple attackers? Thanks in advance.

EARTH DRAGON
10-18-2001, 09:36 PM
I think that any style is effective against multiple attackers if common sense is used. It should not be the kind of martial art that you know but the ways of protecting yourself in any mannor.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Tainan Mantis
10-19-2001, 07:18 AM
Of course every one has their own Shr fu stories and they are usually hard to believe but my teacher over these 12 years that I've known him seems to keep the bragging to a minimum. I'll relate several stories.

On the edge of the road he got into an altercation with 6 untrained bad guys. One of the people was pushed into the street and almost hit by a passing car, this caused an old gangster who controlled the area to break up the fight. But not before one of the guys slammed a big rock into my teachers back, leaving a permanent scar.
So the results of this fight are inconclusive.

As a police officer he carried 2 criminals to the police station. Each one locked in a different wrist lock. He has several of these stories but only once where he got 2 people at once.
I believe this is his most successful story with 2 people.
When teaching Chin-na he always tells how a certain technique worked for him in reality.

To give a reality example: There was a criminal that the police wanted to bring in but found too difficult as he was a good fighter. So they sent my teacher. He went undercover. The criminal was selling watermelons and my teacher was tapping them engaging in watermelon talk. He asked about a particular watermelon and as the man came over my teacher slapped him and then applied a wristlock. As they were walking to the police station the man complained of pain. My teacher relaxed the grip slightly and he broke and ran. My teacher caught him again and applied a very painful lock all the way to the police station.

Once at a barber there were 3 punks with cockeyed hats. Teacher said don't wear your hats that way and they pulled out razors. Teacher was learning monk's spade at the time so he ran home to get it. He came back to fight in the barber shop causing a lot of mayhem.

The punks were part of a gang and so teacher had to leave town for a few days. Later with the help of a senior gangster he was allowed to approach the group. About 30 were waiting for him. They surrounded him and beat the stuffing out of him. He squatted on his feet and worked on his iron body chigong technique.

Similar thing happened to my grand teacher in Shandong. He was in his early 20's and just opened a new school. As he was walking down the street he was surrounded by students of a rival school and stoned. He squatted and covered his head while they threw rocks. Then he walked away. This was told to me by him just before he passed away.