PDA

View Full Version : Escaped a Mugging!

grasshopper 2.0
12-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi guys,

I managed to escaped an attempted mugging yesterday. And no, it's not a story of how I chain punched the guy to the ground, or how he was able to tackle me to the ground. I have to say, it was quite the rush...albeit not a good one..still a rush nonetheless.

So unfortunately, no particular bragging rights....

It's fairly detailed, so i ended up posting it on my blog (http://www.functionalwingtsun.com).

punchdrunk
12-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm sincerely glad you came out alright!! Everyone has their own goals defined for success in their training and in application. You got out of a situation where 2 possibly experienced thugs waited in ambush for a victim! Definate win in my book!

sihing
12-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Glad to hear you made it out of that situation okay bro:)

Sometimes it doesn't take actual physicality to take care of a situation. You showed a good amount of confidence yourself, this may have taken away the other guys heart or willingness to engage you physically. This happens to me frequently on the job, I work security in a hotel, where there's lots of chances of confrontation, which is the last thing I want to have happen. I usually play it cool, like you did, and deal with each situation as it arises, so far so good.

James

grasshopper 2.0
12-31-2009, 04:33 AM
thanks guys. I appreciate that. It's nothing how you would train it to be...squared off, mentally prepared (in a sense that a fight will happen at so and so time)..i was just meandering through the mall that day, and there it happens.

Wish it was a story of how i pummelled them through the ground, but can't say it was one! still, i get the feeling i would've acted differently if i didn't have the training...

k gledhill
01-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Sounds like you dont get into violent face offs a lot, thats normal...and good :D

Its o.k. to be scared, you will be at first, the "what do I do factor ?"...first you watch for weapons , look at hands first , use your range of 'tools' dont go onto one leg to kick if they are charging you , stay balanced and upright as your main intention when facing more than one guy in a fight, mobile and facing keep your fighting distance , let them enter the 'zone' , ...the saying... " a crowd has no mind " ...works for multiple assailants too, they normally dont get together to plan the fight :D so take them as they come strike and stay up dont use anything that will get you into a wrestling match..strike and move , finger eye jab to keep them back, an eye strike will stop a guy cold and it wont make you commit to them.

Adrenalin will make you shake if you dont use it. Use it when you know its 'on' get crazy, let the MF know that your ready to rock n roll , you will be surprised what the mind can do before you even lift a finger .. one can deter many when they think your "insane in the membrane" trust me on that one :D a good one is to jump up and down trying to make them come for you while screaming choice expletives :D

after 30-40 fights you forget the numbers and start to go to the dark side...you respond to situations with extreme violence with little or no warning so you can catch them before they even get 'shaped up' ...you become the person you started to train to defend yourself from :o...then you take up fishing...more peaceful fighting fish ;) and far more rewarding.

In the immortal words of Mr Lenny Mclean..."After you've ko'd them , you throw them in a dumpster, pull their pants down and rip their foreskin, so when they wake up they know they took a liberty ..." but thats your choice , Mr Mclean said that to me in his home while we sat on his couch, he had a cold and was feeling poorly ...I was very careful to make sure I didnt take a liberty from that point on ...

some guidelines for fighting multiple opponents who you have little or no knowledge of before fighting :D

Prime directive:
Avoid wrestling or going down to the ground with multiple attackers.
You may not get back up.
Dont use techniques that make you spin around like round kick or badly applied lop sao ;) stay facing use a side stance to allow quick shifts to face the guy who comes at you first.

1) develop a good solid punch with each arm learning to turn and face a target as you hit it.
2) first come first served , face and strike, let them show you what to do.
3) Watch for hands /weapons , a bottle of beer is a weapon you can use them too :D a chair is a weapon you can drop one on a guys head after knocking him down with a punch ,hold your line and watch for thrown objects , glasses, bottles, etc...duck and stay facing :D throw things back ..."be like a mirror glassthrower "
4) use eye finger jabs for max distance to keep guys from getting too close while the others are also encroaching towards you (example you versus 3-4 guys in a bar) without getting into a grapple with anyone Remember your trying to go home not win a belt .
5) learn to fish and stop going to bars

mjw
01-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Glad you turned out alright, make sure you learn & grow from it......

TenTigers
01-07-2010, 09:07 AM
"More trouble than it's worth." excellent response. Clint Eastwood couldn't have done better. You made your intent crystal clear. You turned to face him-letting him know he no longer had the element of surprise, and fear-his key tools. You let him know that you were willing to fight, and that win or lose, you weren't what he was looking for, which is an easy mark.

karateguy
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Hi guys,

I managed to escaped an attempted mugging yesterday. And no, it's not a story of how I chain punched the guy to the ground, or how he was able to tackle me to the ground. I have to say, it was quite the rush...albeit not a good one..still a rush nonetheless.

So unfortunately, no particular bragging rights....

It's fairly detailed, so i ended up posting it on my blog (http://www.functionalwingtsun.com).

Another great example of how being aware of your surroundings saved you..

I am glad you are ok..

On that note, I have found that when presented with this type of situation, Acknowledging to the threats that you are aware of them can serve as a deterrent..

Great job!

grasshopper 2.0
01-09-2010, 11:07 PM
appreciate the words guys! and yea, i do not get into these types of situations often. Sparring and the like was one thing..but this was another entirely. that was an eye opener for me.

will definitely learn from this and take your guys' words as part of the lesson.