PDA

View Full Version : List of Choy Lay Fut Staff forms

facaodotigre
01-04-2010, 01:30 PM
hEllo

I am interesed on know about choy lay fut staff forms from other lineages/branches ..... i will copy the Doc Fai Wong Staff list . I believe he is Hung Sing and Chan Family .

Staff Forms 棍類:

Junior Plum Blossom Staff (Siu Mui Fa Gwun) 小梅花棍
Junior Bin-Gwai Staff (Siu Bin-Gwai Seung Tau Gwun) 小扁拐双頭棍
Double and Single-Ended Staff (Seung Gup Dahn Gwun) 双夾单棍
Flat Crutch Double-Ended Staff (Bin-Gwai Seung Tau Gwun) 扁拐双頭棍
Monkey King Staff (Hang Jeh Pang) 行者棒
Driving Dragon Double-Ended Staff (Chim Lung Seung Tau Gwun) 潛龍双頭棍
Coiling Dragon Double-Ended Staff (Poon Lung Seung Tau Gwun) 蟠龍双頭棍
Twining Dragon Double-Ended Staff (Chin Lung Seung Tau Gwun) 纒龍双頭棍
Twin Dragon Holding In Air Double-Ended Staff (Seung Lung Gup Hei Gwun) 双龍夾氣棍
Chau-Sot Single-Ended Staff (Chau-Sot Dahn Tau Gwun) 抽摋单頭棍
Chau-Sot Ba Gua Staff (Chau-Sot Bot Gwa Gwun) 抽摋八卦棍
Great Banner Single-Ended Staff (Dai Hung Kei Dahn Tau Gwun) 大雄旗单頭棍
Plum Blossom Spear/Staff (Mui Fa Cheung Gwun) 梅花槍棍
Driving Dragon Single-Ended Staff (Chim Lung Dahn Tau Gwun) 潛龍单頭棍
Coiling Dragon Single-Ended Staff (Poon Lung Dahn Tau Gwun) 蟠龍单頭棍
Plum Blossom Pa-Kua Staff (Ng Dim Mui Fa Bot Gwa Gwun) 五點梅花八卦棍

I am got some of the Tat Wong / Lee Koon Hung Staff Forms :

Siu Lum Staff
Muy Fah Bin Gwai Kwun
Muy Fah Chak Kwun
Loong Haang Kwun
Dai Hung Kai Dahn Tao Kwun
Seung Gup Dahn Kwun

there is more staff forms in Tat Wong or Lee Koon Hung Branch ?

What About other branches ?

Thank You

Drake
01-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, I think GM Dino Salvatera represents Hung Sing more than GM DFW, who represents the Jiangmen branch. Just google his name and you'll find his website. There's also Buk Sing, with GM Vince Lacey. You also have Master Chan Yong Fa, who covers Chan family.

For the most part, every branch is different in several aspects, and it's best you get the information from them instead of me, as my knowledge of CLF outside of GM DFW is cursory at best.

Anyone here have corrections/additions for me?

CLFNole
01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
The LKH branch also has 'Hung Jeh Pang' shown in the list above.

facaodotigre
01-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Thank you Drake ... i will ask them .

CLFNole : Thank you . I will add Hung Jeh Pang to my list . There is no more staff forms in your branch ? More advanced staff forms maybe ? I'd used to train on one of the Tat Wong Kung Fu School in the past and i 'd always think there was more staff forms on his branch .

Take Care friend

CLFNole
01-04-2010, 02:42 PM
No , I think 7 staff forms is more than enough. Personally I think 2-3 is enough: 1 single head, 1 double-head and one combo (sheung garp dan).

hskwarrior
01-04-2010, 03:02 PM
DFW only has one (YUEN HAI LINEAGE) staff form passed down by Lau Bun. But in our lineage, our elders have created newer staff forms as well as my sifu (GM D. Salvatera). The Yuen Hai lineage is the last of its kind in the Hung Sing family. So we've honored our elders and continue to evolve our lineage. Aso, we've picked up a few old staff forms from the Fut San Hung Sing Kwoon not previously handed down to Lau Bun.

hskwarrior
01-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I wonder why......well maybe not..... but Fut San Hung Sing Kwoon also has the 6.5 Staff form. but it's not on anyone's list.

CLFNole
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
I know Sifu Sam Ng in Chicago has a 6.5 point pole I believe it is called lok dim mui fah baat kwa kwun - 6 1/2 point plum flower eight diagram pole. He is from the Chan Koon Pak line.

The 6.5 point pole and baat kwa pole styles were very famous long ago and principles, forms and techniques were incorporated and brought into many southern systems.

hskwarrior
01-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Nice. There is also a staff form called the Water Bucket as well.

CLFNole
01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
The water bucket might have to do with the Bien Kwai Kwun form/name. It is commonly referred to as the "flat stick" as it was used by workers to carry things on each end possibly water buckets but I could be wrong.

facaodotigre
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Clfnole and hskwarrior:

Thank you for all your responses . When i'd learn Muy Fah Bin Gwai years ago my instructor told me the Bin Gwai was a staff used for carry things on the shoulders an a common image on ancient China or Egypt.
In Brasil the Chan Kwok Wai people used to perform a staff form called the Fisher Staff. I don't know his chinese name .

Clfnole : I'd saw a video on youtube of a guy from your school performing a staff form called Muy Fah Staff/Spear form . That form belong the staff list or the Spear list ?

CLFNole
01-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Mui Fa Sup Sam Cheung - 13 lunges plum blossum spear.

I believe you can use cheung/kwun with a few CLF spear/staff sets as southern spear is very much like southern staff and less like northern spear.

Shaolindynasty
01-04-2010, 09:01 PM
know Sifu Sam Ng in Chicago has a 6.5 point pole I believe it is called lok dim mui fah baat kwa kwun - 6 1/2 point plum flower eight diagram pole. He is from the Chan Koon Pak line

Kind of correct. We call it Ng Long Bat Kwa Gwun, it may have another name but I don't know. It's fairly similar to the hung ga version

we also have
hung jia pang
dai hung kei gwun
hung jia pang two person set

CLFNole
01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I thought you had another one besides ng long baat kwa kwun - 5th brothers 8 diagram pole.

Mano Mano
01-05-2010, 09:57 AM
My sifu's school has:
Ng Long Bat Kwa Gwun,
hung jia pang,
hung jia pang two person set,
Sup ji gwun

facaodotigre
01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Clfnole :

I know Muy Fah Sup Saam Cheung , but i am talking about this form :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoi-ceOIVXs

I'd never saw before on Tat Wong school .

Which is his correct name ?

CLFNole
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
That set is not a LKH set it is from Wong Gong. Sifu Wai has been learning from Wong Gong for a number of years now and has incorporated his material into his curriculum. It is very easy to tell the difference by watching the opening bow sequence.

We have a few other spear forms besides sup sam cheurng such as tang lung cheung, yau cheung & wun hop cheung. I also learned a sheung tow cheung form from Li Siu Hung.

Shaolindynasty
01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
I thought you had another one besides ng long baat kwa kwun - 5th brothers 8 diagram pole.

There may be others aside from the ones I listed but to my knowledge my sifu hasn't taught them to anyone.

Fei Li
01-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Actually the Siu Lum Guan from the LKH line is not a Choy Lay Fut form
it is from Bak Siu Lam (cantonese version of northern Shaolin)

LoneTiger108
01-07-2010, 05:32 AM
I know Sifu Sam Ng in Chicago has a 6.5 point pole I believe it is called lok dim mui fah baat kwa kwun - 6 1/2 point plum flower eight diagram pole. He is from the Chan Koon Pak line.

The 6.5 point pole and baat kwa pole styles were very famous long ago and principles, forms and techniques were incorporated and brought into many southern systems.

Very interesting thread here gents. I would love to see what the 6.5 point pole form you mention here actually looks like as it's common practise in Wing Chun circles, albeit still very 'advanced' and varied from family to family.

I used to specialize in our form as it tends to be more lengthy and structured than the common Ip Family version. Probably more akin to what it was like in it's older state.

As a note, we generally translated the name to 'Six Point and Half Pole' as it contains the original 6 points and a half pole set within it. As far as I've seen no other Wing Chun family practises this way other than Lee Shing root.

CLFNole
01-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Actually the Siu Lum Guan from the LKH line is not a Choy Lay Fut form
it is from Bak Siu Lam (cantonese version of northern Shaolin)

You are correct it is not a CLF form; however I always thought it was a Jing Mo set and came from the eagle claw system.

Fei Li
01-08-2010, 04:10 AM
Mhh, I do not know more details…
My Sifu who was a student from LKH told me this once.
There are however similarities in the salute of this form and another Bak Siu Lam form
that came also via LKH, that he teached me, the "nine provinces eyebrow staff."

CLFNole
01-08-2010, 08:26 AM
The Nine Province Staff (Gau Jau Kwun) is another form that is seen in a number of different northern styles - eagle claw, pek kwar & buk siu lum but I think its origins is from pek kwar. It was also taught at Jing Mo/Chin Wo.

If sifu taught this set to your sifu who I think is Tai Lam, it would have came from sifu's brother Li Chun Hung who is a bak sil lum sifu in Hong Kong.

Fei Li
01-08-2010, 08:41 AM
The Nine Province Staff (Gau Jau Kwun) is another form that is seen in a number of different northern styles - eagle claw, pek kwar & buk siu lum but I think its origins is from pek kwar. It was also taught at Jing Mo/Chin Wo.

If sifu taught this set to your sifu who I think is Tai Lam, it would have came from sifu's brother Li Chun Hung who is a bak sil lum sifu in Hong Kong.

Now as you say it, I see some monkey ressemblances in this form…
Don't let you fool by my current adress ;) My Sifu is M. Punschke from Germany.

Are there any vids on the internet from Li Chun Hung?
I would be interested to see what his forms look like.