PDA

View Full Version : Have any Hung Gar brother here fought inside the ring/cage?

blackjesus
01-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I saw a Hung Gar student in the ring (Muay Thai Rules) but it looked like kickboxing to me apart from the sau tsui.

I guess it is because the rules and the groves? Or do you fight like a Hung Gar stylist inside the ring?

David Jamieson
01-05-2010, 06:22 AM
I saw a Hung Gar student in the ring (Muay Thai Rules) but it looked like kickboxing to me apart from the sau tsui.

I guess it is because the rules and the groves? Or do you fight like a Hung Gar stylist inside the ring?

you weren't expecting them to skip across water and run across the tops of bamboo were you?

what do you think kungfu should look like?
:)

sanjuro_ronin
01-05-2010, 08:13 AM
The rule set will dictate the "look" of any fight.
If a fighter wants to win a MT match then he better "look" like he is doing MT.
Besides, what exactly does hung ga look like when it is applied in a MT ring?
Just like MT.

Kevin73
01-05-2010, 09:34 AM
If a fighter wants to win a MT match then he better "look" like he is doing MT.
Besides, what exactly does hung ga look like when it is applied in a MT ring?
Just like MT.

Exactly. Old school boxing looked different than modern boxing because of the gloves and the exclusion of throws and foot kicks/stomps. Look at MMA, it is the best of what works in that setting, so it all starts to blend together. Even among BJJ players, some old school guys will complain that the newer techniques would get you hurt out on the street and would only work in a grappling scenario....sorry rant off.

Hung gar will look like hung gar when it is being applied to the environment that it was designed for, just like any other art. The more you try to apply it to a different environment, then the more it will look like something else.

TenTigers
01-05-2010, 10:01 AM
jab, cross, hook, uppercut, all exist in Hung-Gar. Of course, we call it Jik,Ping, Sow, and pow. It's only a name, it's simply a language.
When I train my guys, we do pad drills, with the above mentined strikes, but-we also include, chain punches, been,gwa,(large)sow,and cup. We use the larger focus mits to accomodate these strikes.
Front kick, roundhouse kicks are used, but we also employ side, hook, and spinning kicks.
The only thing that is changed is that the emphasis towards pad drills, sparring drills and conditioning has amped-up the training.
We are using modern-looking equipment, but it's actually traditional Hung-Gar training.
What's the difference?

blackjesus
01-05-2010, 10:28 PM
you weren't expecting them to skip across water and run across the tops of bamboo were you?

:)

True. But when you look at how Machida fight in UFC, there are some Karate "flavour".

jab, cross, hook, uppercut, all exist in Hung-Gar. Of course, we call it Jik,Ping, Sow, and pow. It's only a name, it's simply a language.

Of course. We are still using our 4 limbs. But way they use jab, cross and hook are just like kickboxers, i.e., Jab/jab/cross that sort of thing.

The only thing that is changed is that the emphasis towards pad drills, sparring drills and conditioning has amped-up the training.

I think pad/focus mitt drills are very beneficial. I have no problem with it at all. I think some Hong Kong schools should start using it too.

Silly question, which form of Hung Gar can I find roundhouse kick? (I really want to know, not being an smart arse)

TenTigers
01-05-2010, 10:45 PM
We do have a set called Gow Duk Kuen, which has a simultaneous punch'or slap and front crescent- kick. In CLF, they call it sow/tek, a simultaneous sow choy and kick. Some do it with a front kick, some with a crescent kick, and some with a roundhouse. I do it with a roundhouse. So now, MY Hung-Gar does have a roundhouse kick!
One of my teachers, Chao Hung, is a seventy-something yr-old Hung Kuen Sifu from Guangzhao. (he also studied Tai Shing Pek Kwar under Gen Duk-Hoi) He used roundhouses, and even spinning back hook kicks. He says,"If it works, use it! If others don't do it, then they can't defend against it."

He is an old-school staunch traditionalist. One of those guys recognized by the Chinese Gov't as a "Living Natural Treasuer," just as Chan Tai-San was. He was one of the advisers when they were creating the compulsory wu-shu sets for Nan Chuan. You see that exact technique in the Nan-Chuan set.
He said the Sifus used to always share and exchange techniques and put them into their toolboxes and systems. If one guy saw another do something he thought was effective, he would say,"Hey, show me that technique you do."
Nowadays, we are secretive and jealously guard our techniques. Pretty soon, our technique gets smaller and smaller, until the system is dead.
I have always been the same way.
"Tools is Tools." So, my Hung-Gar is different than alot of others. That's ok. I don't mind. I keep the forms, and expand on the ideas and concepts.

blackjesus
01-05-2010, 10:58 PM
We do have a set called Gow Duk Kuen, which has a simultaneous punch'or slap and front crescent- kick. In CLF, they call it sow/tek, a simultaneous sow choy and kick. Some do it with a front kick, some with a crescent kick, and some with a roundhouse. I do it with a roundhouse. So now, MY Hung-Gar does have a roundhouse kick!

We use Roundhouse kicks too. I heard of Gow Duk Kuen but have never seen it. So TenTigers Sifu is from Lam Family (I tried to have a look myself on tentigers.com) but the site is not there anymore.

Nowadays, we are secretive and jealously guard our techniques. Pretty soon, our technique gets smaller and smaller, until the system is dead

Sigh~

TenTigers
01-05-2010, 11:04 PM
No, I am from Tang-Fong line, although one of my teachers also taught me LSW Hung-Ga, as well as CLF. Gow Duk Kuen is taught in Tang Fung line, also called Gow Ji Lien Wan Kuen.

blackjesus
01-06-2010, 01:42 AM
No, I am from Tang-Fong line, although one of my teachers also taught me LSW Hung-Ga, as well as CLF. Gow Duk Kuen is taught in Tang Fung line, also called Gow Ji Lien Wan Kuen.

Gow Ji Lien Wan Kuen! Now I know!
I heard of Gow Duk Kuen in Lam Family lineage as well.
What is the URL of your new site, brother?

TenTigers
01-06-2010, 11:41 PM
http://ten-tigers.com/document/97194
it's not much. our other one was taken down, this is temporary

sanjuro_ronin
01-07-2010, 08:35 AM
You won't find a "proper" round kick in any TCMA forms from before the 20th century, it was just not there.
Even in the TJMA you wont find it.
It was added after due to the influence of Karate and TKD.
If it works, add it.

cerebus
01-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Not really a fan of the round kick. I've seen SOOOO many people mess up their shins/ insteps when their opponents would lift their knee to block the kick, and have also injured some people in sparring this way myself, that I don't do round kicks anymore. If you do Muay Thai and constantly condition your shins, fine, but that kind of training is rather destructive to the body in my opinion...

sanjuro_ronin
01-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Improper round kicks will get you hurt, as well improper front kicks.

goju
01-08-2010, 08:11 AM
improper anything will

though i think if you are going to shin kick its pretty dumb not to condition your shins in case something goes wrong

sanjuro_ronin
01-08-2010, 08:17 AM
improper anything will

though i think if you are going to shin kick its pretty dumb not to condition your shins in case something goes wrong

If you are going to hit with ANYTHING you better condition it.

cerebus
01-08-2010, 10:08 AM
If you are going to hit with ANYTHING you better condition it.

Really? So people should deaden the nerves in any surface that they will use to strike with? Personally I find it's better just to make it a habit to strike the proper target with the proper weapon (at least as much as possible). I don't condition my knuckles because I use knuckle punches to the body, not the head. For head strikes I usually use palms, elbows or knees. For kicking I find straight-line thrust kicks with the heel to have less chance of accidental injury for the kicker and also don't require conditioning. The only "conditioning" I do is cardio and abs...

goju
01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Really? So people should deaden the nerves in any surface that they will use to strike with? Personally I find it's better just to make it a habit to strike the proper target with the proper weapon (at least as much as possible). I don't condition my knuckles because I use knuckle punches to the body, not the head. For head strikes I usually use palms, elbows or knees. For kicking I find straight-line thrust kicks with the heel to have less chance of accidental injury for the kicker and also don't require conditioning. The only "conditioning" I do is cardio and abs...

as long as you gradually progress with the conditioning and use liniments as well as not over condition you should l be more than fine

your shin kick may not land correctly or it may collide with your partners shin or knee or elbow

and that does not feel nice at all if your not conditioned i know lol