PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun in K-1 Hercules, 1995

AdrianK
01-09-2010, 06:15 AM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbghl2_k1-1995-nobuaki-kakuda-vs-bruce-dra_sport

I've been looking for this video for years, when I first heard Sifu Joe Sayah, formerly of TWC, fought in K-1.

For better or worse, here was the result.

I don't think this represents TWC at all, if anything Sayah demonstrates a severe lack of properly trained TWC. Just thought I'd share this bit of history.

kung fu fighter
01-09-2010, 08:40 AM
thanks for the clip, Props to Joe for stepping into the ring, i am sure he learnt alot from this experience.

Do you know where to find this clip

K-1 UK Battle of Britain – 8 Man Heavyweight Tournament 2004

K-1 Special Fight 3z3 minute rounds
Karate vs. Kung Fu

Paul Newby (Karate) vs. Kasim Khan (Kung Fu)

Both fighters started the fight in fast and furious fashion and did not hesitate to go all out into the action. Newby throwing some impressive and solid punches which dropped Khan a few times but Khan never gave up and kept coming forward. Khan was definitely the stronger fighter in the clinch with a fast flurry of knees. It was quite evident that Khan was from a Wing Chun heritage as his speed showed however by the third round, his speed was not enough to save him from the punching power of Newby who won the fight due to TKO.

HumbleWCGuy
01-09-2010, 04:53 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbghl2_k1-1995-nobuaki-kakuda-vs-bruce-dra_sport

I've been looking for this video for years, when I first heard Sifu Joe Sayah, formerly of TWC, fought in K-1.

For better or worse, here was the result.

I don't think this represents TWC at all, if anything Sayah demonstrates a severe lack of properly trained TWC. Just thought I'd share this bit of history.

What specific errors did you notice that make it bad TWC? What did you like that was representative or TWC?

AdrianK
01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Well, a better way to put it would have been a lack of ability in general. He used the side-step a few times, but he didn't parry or even respond to any of Kakuda's punches aside from attacking.

His punching looked decent enough at the start, but from the various angles you could tell there was no power or structure behind it. This is why Kakuda was able to just plow through him.

The knees were decent, but not damaging, and the footwork was non-existent.

I think mostly it was a case of someone who had little full contact experience, going in against an experienced fighter.

HumbleWCGuy
01-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Well, a better way to put it would have been a lack of ability in general. He used the side-step a few times, but he didn't parry or even respond to any of Kakuda's punches aside from attacking.

That was a little odd. He would have been better served by adopting a peek-a-boo posture. He was getting eaten up by hooks and he failed to adjust. Some might consider that blasphemy, but I think that people who recognize the TWC posture just forgo the straight punch which might be the path of least resistance.

His punching looked decent enough at the start, but from the various angles you could tell there was no power or structure behind it. This is why Kakuda was able to just plow through him.

Let's just go ahead and call it horrible lack of power, lack of punches, and lack of variety.

The knees were decent, but not damaging, and the footwork was non-existent.

The knees were the highlight. I agree. I liked the fact that he was quick to plumb on the inside. If one is going to rely on the TWC structure, your best inside tools are from the clinch imo. You should not be standing there trading. A well executed plumb can really strife an opponent on the inside.

I think mostly it was a case of someone who had little full contact experience, going in against an experienced fighter.
I could not speak to that, but your boy looked a bit rattled from the outset.

Phil Redmond
01-10-2010, 01:50 AM
I used to make comments on what a fighter should or shouldn't have done. Then I started kickboxing in my mid 40's. People would say after my fights what I should've done. They weren't the ones getting punched and kicked. I learned that in the ring what you do may not be perfect but you do what you can to survive. Now I'm not as critical (unless I see something completley stupid). In MT, Boxing, MMA, BJJ, Kicking, ect., you will see mistakes. Also, losing one or more fights doesn't mean you suck. Ali, Joyce Gracie, Mike Tyson, Chuck Liddel, etc., have lost fights. Thank God I've never known that feeling. ;)
Fighting probably will never look like you planned because your opponent also has a plan. Sports teams have all sorts of plans/plays, but so does the other team.

HumbleWCGuy
01-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Phil,
I mostly agree. People who haven't competed often don't have an eye for techniques in real time, and have unrealistic expectations.

However, there were some major strategic and technical flaws in this fight. The TWC man failed to defend most if not all the punch of his opponent and punched with little or no authority.