PDA

View Full Version : solar plexus

grasshopper 2.0
01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi all, anyone here know what the muscles are called that, when trained properly, protect the solar plexus? is it just part of the fascia? or upper abs or something else altogether.

this is just for trivia purposes..not to start a discussion on whether this is possible, parlour trick, effective, etc etc.

bennyvt
01-12-2010, 01:10 AM
are you taking the sternum or viphiod process. Both are attachments for muscles and nothing goes over them. If you get your pecs for the sternum or the abbs for viphiod bigger that can help. And there are no upper abbs, all the same muscles for the six pack.

Lee Chiang Po
01-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Hi all, anyone here know what the muscles are called that, when trained properly, protect the solar plexus? is it just part of the fascia? or upper abs or something else altogether.

this is just for trivia purposes..not to start a discussion on whether this is possible, parlour trick, effective, etc etc.

I don't think that there are any muscles that actually protect the solar plexus. I have the ability to make my abs rise up against my pecs, and I can flex them tight and this will protect my SP, but only for a split second and then only if I am aware or quick enough to apply it. I seriously doubt however that it would be effective against a power puncher or one with good technique application.

LCP

Kevin73
01-13-2010, 07:25 AM
That is why the solar plexus is targeted, there isn't a way to protect it REALLY well. The upper portion of the abs (they are all connected, not seperate) cover the area of the solar plexus.

If you curl your upper torso down a little as you do in some forms, almost a rounded back/shoulder posture. You are putting your pectorals and abdominals more in line with each other to cover the space and protecting the target better. Kind of like tucking your chin down protects the throat more.

Lee Chiang Po
01-13-2010, 10:53 AM
That is why the solar plexus is targeted, there isn't a way to protect it REALLY well. The upper portion of the abs (they are all connected, not seperate) cover the area of the solar plexus.

If you curl your upper torso down a little as you do in some forms, almost a rounded back/shoulder posture. You are putting your pectorals and abdominals more in line with each other to cover the space and protecting the target better. Kind of like tucking your chin down protects the throat more.

This is exactly what I do. I am short, and I have large muscle mass in both abs and pecs, but it is only something I can do easily and it does have some benefit but it is not a real defense against a direct shot in the SP. Sometimes transfered energy can still inflict great pain and cause the system to shut down temperarily.
My style of defense covers my center line and the SP is in the direct center line. It is usually covered. In counter attack or even in direct attack I have used the SP as a target. I downward slap or chop, not really hard at all, can bring a man to his knees in the count of 5.

LCP

Jack

grasshopper 2.0
01-13-2010, 07:15 PM
OK..here's why I ask - the other night in class, my instructor was talking about the SP and he would show us where to hit, etc. Showing us, he demonstrated that when you touch the area, it's flat.

But then he let us touch the solar plexus..and it was there was a muscular protrusion..like a rock was hiden underneath his shirt. and low and behold..it was just over the SP..so i'm wondering how to train that!

i'm not saying he can take hits or whatever...but now i'm just curious to know what it is, physiologically.

Lee Chiang Po
01-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I think that might just be a deformation of the sternum. Right where the ribs join and at the very bottom of that. I have seen people that had protrusions there and it was carteledge, not bone or muscle. the Solar Plexus is the palm sized area below that. The very top edge is where the bottom of the sternum starts and is the palm sized area just below that. There is nothing really inside that area but your upper abs and the diaphram that holds up the heart, lungs and liver. A shot there can cause a spasmic retraction of the diaphram, sort of a severe charlie horse, and this is painful, restricts breathing, heart beat, and can cause you to black out sometimes. It can certainly take your breath away.
When in Vietnam I was shot through the left side, passing through the lower left lung, the diaphram, and out right beside the spinal column. I was paralyzed for a short time until the vertebra were put back in place and the swelling and brusing went away. It left my left diaphram hardened, preventing me from fully breathing with the left lung. I have learned to force air into that lung and keep it functional though, and the hardened diaphram requires me to breath more with the abdomen than before. It also takes a really hard blow to the SP to make it work against me because even if it does cause pain, it will not spasm like it normally will for other people. I guess you can find something good from every bad thing.
As for that protrusion of the sternum, if that is indeed what you felt, is usually the result of a fracture or surgery of some sort, but not always. I once knew a young woman that had that and it was not really visible unless she threw her shoulders back and took a deep breath.

LCP