PDA

View Full Version : kung fu in akron/canton

LynyrdSkynyrd
01-12-2010, 03:19 PM
What are some of the better schools in that area? I've heard of like wu-tang and ho chun, but are the instructors now as good as the ones who made them famous?

mooyingmantis
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Best Kung Fu schools in Akron by reputation: Wu Tang (Master Yang Shu Ton) and Mike Biggie's. Both reputable instructors with years of martial arts experience. I have known both men since the 80's. Never a bad experience with either. A place I would send friends and family members. Master Yang sponsored a tournament here for a few years, it was first class and drew masters from around the world.

Wayne Shultz had an excellent Wing Chun school in Green. Not sure if he is still in operation. I just haven't been out his way for a while. I have known Wayne since the 80s. He is a great guy, a talented martial artist and I have never had a bad experience with him.

These are the only three to which I have often referred friends or family members.

As far as I know, there are two schools in the North Canton/Canton area: a school that I believe is run out of a Chinese restaurant near ****'s Sporting Goods and mine. I don't personally know the other instructor. I know me, but I'm not impressed. :rolleyes: The other mentioned instructors are free to give the lowdown on me.

Richard

IronWeasel
01-13-2010, 07:40 PM
What are some of the better schools in that area? I've heard of like wu-tang and ho chun, but are the instructors now as good as the ones who made them famous?

The original instructors are all still there. i've heard good things about all of those schools mentioned. Wayne Schulz's school is gone from the old plaza in Green...he may have relocated.

mooyingmantis
01-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Wayne had moved from the plaza near the library to the plaza near White House Chicken. Is he still there?

Richard

sanjuro_ronin
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Does GM Chicoine still teach?
Is Steve Hamp still in Akron?

mooyingmantis
01-14-2010, 02:30 PM

Never heard of Steve Hamp. What style does he teach?

Chicoine? I hope not, I certainly would never refer anyone to him.

Richard

IronWeasel
01-14-2010, 03:04 PM

I haven't heard anyone mention Steve Hamp in a while.

GM Chicoine still teaches.

LynyrdSkynyrd
01-14-2010, 03:52 PM
the reason i asked is because i know sometimes as the masters get older they arent as hard in their teachings or let people run classes who shouldnt be running a class on their own

LynyrdSkynyrd
01-14-2010, 03:52 PM
also why wouldnt u refer someone to chicoine?

mooyingmantis
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I already mentioned in my first post the men that I believe are reputable in the area. Reputation goes far beyond who you studied with even if your instructor was a famous master. 'nuff said!

sanjuro_ronin
01-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Lets keep our personal opinions civilized shall we?

I haven't heard anyone mention Steve Hamp in a while.
Steve is a good guy from the little I know of him, I don't agree with all his views but I was just wondering what he was up to as of late.

As for Ho Chun, it doesn't look so bad to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnn2MAVCceI&feature=fvsr

IronFist
01-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Isn't Green Dragon in Akron?

And speaking of Green Dragon...

Chicoine? I hope not, I certainly would never refer anyone to him.

Why not?

I don't know anything about him other than he was the guy on the Green Dragon iron vest tape.

I heard there was some drama with him, John Allen, and the Chinese guy from whom they (claim to have?) learned under (sorry I can't recall his name at the moment).

IronWeasel
01-16-2010, 09:43 AM
I already mentioned in my first post the men that I believe are reputable in the area. Reputation goes far beyond who you studied with even if your instructor was a famous master. 'nuff said!

Which part of his rep falls short for you:

Impressive lineage
authentic and abundant material
Ability to fight
striking/breaking
students who can fight

?

LynyrdSkynyrd
01-23-2010, 05:06 AM
mr.tolson what is ur lineage?

mooyingmantis
01-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Ironweasel wrote,

"Which part of his rep falls short for you:

Impressive lineage
authentic and abundant material
Ability to fight
striking/breaking
students who can fight

?"

None of these things. Mr. Chicoine is an excellent martial artist. I have never disputed that aspect of the man. The one time I saw him perform, I was impressed with his ability.
However, you can find a thread on this forum from years ago titled HO CHUN (started by Shirkers) that gives background on the man himself. If peeps read it, they can judge for themselves.
My experience with Mr. Chicoine is through dealings with his past Hop Sing students and the stories they shared with me. Plus the stories other local martial arts instructors have shared with me about his students in the old Hop Sing days. Based on these stories and the posts in the HO CHUN thread, I would not recommend family or friends to Ho Chun.
If Mr. Chicoine has pasted the school on to his students, it may be a great school. Shuai Jiao is an excellent art!

LynyrdSkynyrd,

Here is a partial list of my past instructors:
Nu Hou Quan from Leroy Johnson
Northern Praying Mantis from Mike Biggie
Iron Shirt from Richard Pitts Jr.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a private message. From past posts I see you have trained at the Wing Chun school in Hartville and the WuTang school. Apparently you are in the area, we could meet if you like and discuss any questions you may have.

Ironfist,
No, Green Dragon is/was in Stow, Ohio. I have never personally been involved with any of their people, so I cannot really comment on them.

Richard