PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Baat Da Ma Bo ...

MasterPhil
10-25-2001, 09:37 PM
Mantis108 -- Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I went to the TCPM forum and made a couple searches on the form names but it came up empty handed.

Your description of the set corresponds exactly with what I do. I still practice it today because I have never found a better static stance training set. I have several questions about it though and would appreciate any honest answers from anyone who is familiar with this set.

1- How long do people hold each stance?
2- Are the horse stances in the first section done at different heights? 1st-medium, 2nd-high, 3rd-low/parallel?
3- Should the arms be straight or bent a little? or does it depend on the stance? for ex: 1st stance of 2nd section, 1st, 2nd, and 4th stance of last section.
4- Does anybody else have trouble maintaining (not getting up) the last stance of the 2nd section?

Not having any answers for a long time forced me to experiment a little with the form over the years but I eventually came back to its original form (the way it was taught to me) as, over the years, I realized it was perfect as is and there was nothing to change/improve. I realize that my questions are rather picking at details and not necessarily very important but I was curious to compare with other TCPM stylists.

The way I do it today is holding each stance for 1 minute (though I still have to get up once or twice from the last cat stance in the 2nd section...) with a one-minute break to shake the legs in between each section. It makes for a 20-min (22 if you count the breaks) exercise that is most beneficial to all aspects of a person.

My ex-gf actually took pics of me doing the set (I wanted to keep it for posterity). If any sifus out there have the patience to look at it and comment on it, let me know, I would appreciate greatly.

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

mantis108
10-26-2001, 01:11 AM
Hi Silent Thunder,

You are most welcome. Please continue to visit our forum as well.

I understand your situation. It would be great if you have someone in your area to give you guidance. May be we can look at some of the questions you have and see how it goes.

First and foremost, each Sifu might have a different perspective on teaching the form. Basically, we practice it at least 3 times in a role. First time smooth and slightly slow then regular speed. Second time, slow and hold the stances. Third with full power and regular speed. I use the term regular speed meaning not to deliberately speed up while generating full power. The speeding up will make one look like hurrying the form. Also, when doing the form keep relaxed. Observe the pictures of Grandmaster Chiu, you should have the same "relaxed" feel to the form.

1- How long do people hold each stance?

As mentioned above, hold the stance is one "stage" of the stance training. But the form is designed to do more then just that. The holding of the stance could be 1 min to 3 mins.

2- Are the horse stances in the first section done at different heights? 1st-medium, 2nd-high, 3rd-low/parallel?

No, I don't think so. But you may do it that way if you like. What you are looking at is mainly the leg strength component of the stance training. The purpose of the horse stance, IMHO, is to have the stylist to understand the relationship between base of support, center of gravity, and maximum stride. A lower/parallel doesn't mean that one have achieved good balance. Having good leg strength but not understanding how to best use it is also a waste of practice. This we have to keep in mind. So a good practice of the Baat Da Ma Bo is to understand why you do what you do. Again observe the horse stance pic. of Sigung. It's not low parallel because then you will have a difficult time to "smoothly" transfer your body weight and use it add the umph in your punch in the Hiking stance punch. You must investigate the hip motion of changing from the horse stance into the hiking (forward stance).

3- Should the arms be straight or bent a little? or does it depend on the stance? for ex: 1st stance of 2nd section, 1st, 2nd, and 4th stance of last section.

I do all movements with arms bent a little (not pulling back though). IMHO, this way you will allow the "crack of the whip" to happen.

4- Does anybody else have trouble maintaining (not getting up) the last stance of the 2nd section?

The Gwa Fu Ma (riding tiger stance) is a tough one but no pain no gain. Breath through the Dan Tien. It will help stablizing the structure. Upper body should stay relaxed.

Please feel free to email me at
sifu1@internoth.com

Hope this help

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

MasterPhil
10-29-2001, 10:03 PM
Thank you very much for your clear comments. Overall, we seem to be on the same page as your comments generally reflect my own ideas on it.

I remember our teacher used to make us do it 2-3 times also. The 1st time holding each positions and the 2nd and 3rd times just going through the form with regular speed/power then fast (but not so fast that you're hurrying through the form!). When doing tajimantis, our teacher always stressed the importance of each movement being fast but still "crisp" and "sharp". But since taiji mantis is not my main style (I actually only learned the baat da ma bo), I usually just do it once for the stance training which is, after all, its main purpose.

About my 1st point: When you say people should hold each stance 1-3 min, I assume you mean this for ALL stances and those should ALL be good, low stances (ie as low as your body can go without compromising structure) throughout the set, right? I have got into some arguments over this with some of my junior classmates at the time. Some people seem to believe that those two are not compatible. They say you either do the set with perfect stances for 15-20 sec. or you do it for 1 min each but you keep your stances high and are allowed to get up when the leg is tired... The idea being that over time, a student would naturally come to achieve 1 min. for each stance. Personally, I think that is wrong. How can you expect to achieve more by doing less!?! To me, you do the stances right and you don't get up for a min. and that's it. Of course, I admit that when beginning, your legs are not as strong and a person will get up from his stance from time to time but the goal should be the same. I say: do not lower the standard so you can do it, but rather keep the standard where it is and train harder to achieve it! They say it's a difference of teaching methods, I say it's a difference of mentality. What is your opinion/experience?

About the 2nd point: I agree with what you wrote. I do my horse at different heights to train different things/feel different structures. The parallel one is not to be used when moving but strictly for training for the reason you mention ie too low and you can't move fast and smooth. The structure of the horse is slightly different at every height. The high one is done with feet parallel and knees out. The medium one is with feet almost parallel and knees natural (neither pushed "in" or "out"). The low one is done with feet angled with the thighs and the knees natural but with the waist "sunken in" or "rounded in" (I hate to describe this stuff, when done correctly, one understand what I mean..) so that it feels like it is your body structure/alignment that supports your body more so than exclusively your thigh muscles.

About the 3rd point: I agree but do you keep them bent a little even for the 1st and 2nd stance of the last section (ie the one-legged and the eagle stance; sorry, my teacher wasn't chinese and we had to make up our own stance names...)? I ask since those two do not involve any hand strikes or block hence no "crack of the whip", right? My understanding of it is that keeping the arms straight in those stances trained and stretched the forearm muscles and tendons.

About the 4th point: Thanks for the pointer. I will try to force my breathing down and just keep working on it. I don't mind working on it as long as I know it is possible to achieve. Besides the obvious hand positions/techniques, the only difference between the 1st and 2nd cat stance is the opening of the hips, right? The first one is squarely (or just a slight angle) facing your opponent so the hips are square/closed and the second one is done with the body turned sideways so the hips are open, right? Gee, when writing this down, I feel like I'm being obsessed with details but aren't the details what makes the difference in the end? I mean, I trained in southern styles a lot longer than I was with my first teacher who taught me the baat da ma bo so my fear is to do it like a hung gar stylist. I want to do the mantis set like a taiji mantis guy. Plus, I know I will probably keep doing that form as long as I do kf since I have already done it for so long. I have dismissed so many sets I learned over the years that the few ones that I kept and train regularly are very important to me. Because of that, I tend to focus on many small details.

I know I cannot offer you much in return besides my gratitude and the assurance that your comments are not wasted but I would greatly appreciate if you could provide the chinese (cantonese or mandarin) names with their common english translation for each stance. I just like to be able to call things by their names as opposed to by the names I made up for them.

Thank you for your offer to email you but I would like to welcome any input from other knowledgeable people as long as this subject is open and not personal. Though it seems that for a basic set, not too many people seem to be able or willing to comment on it... You can email me as well (my adress is in my profile) if you want or feel more comfortable to discuss in private.

Respectfully,

ST

mantis108
10-29-2001, 11:14 PM
You are most welcome. I think we are on the same page basically. :D

I was half way throught replying to your questions and the system kicks out and I lost the whole thing. I will try to address your points later when I have more time. Sorry for the wait.

Mantis108.

MasterPhil
10-29-2001, 11:40 PM
"I was half way throught replying to your questions and the system kicks out and I lost the whole thing." -- It happened to me twice on this board. BIG bummer... What I do now is that I write whatever I want in notepad or word first, then c&p it into the post's body section when ready.

Don't worry about it. There is no rush (it's not like I will stop doing the form until I read your comments, lol). I'd rather have a complete but tardive response than a quick but vague one...

ST

mantis108
10-30-2001, 01:15 AM
I hear yo ST. :D

here it is. Enjoy.

<<Thank you very much for your clear comments. Overall, we seem to be on the same page as your
comments generally reflect my own ideas on it.>>

You are most welcome. I agreed we are pretty much on the same page.

<<I remember our teacher used to make us do it 2-3 times also. The 1st time holding each
positions and the 2nd and 3rd times just going through the form with regular speed/power then
fast (but not so fast that you're hurrying through the form!). >>

That's the idea.

<<When doing tajimantis, our teacher always stressed the importance of each movement being fast
but still "crisp" and "sharp". But since taiji mantis is not my main style (I actually only
learned the baat da ma bo), I usually just do it once for the stance training which is, after all
, its main purpose.>>

Fluidity and speed acheived throught maximum economy of motion is key to TCPM. Like I said before
BDMB is to build the balance between leverage and speed. Strength (of the legs) is an integral
part of this balance not the other way arround.

<<About my 1st point: When you say people should hold each stance 1-3 min, I assume you mean this
for ALL stances and those should ALL be good, low stances (ie as low as your body can go without
compromising structure) throughout the set, right?>>

The 1-3 mins is just a general guideline for doing it in class. At home, you may do more as
training. The more you work on it the better you get. That's Kung Fu. I used to do it 45 mins
horse stance. But then at class you'd want to devote your time on the learning. A lot of people
don't understand this simple point. They hardly practice at home and wish to learn more in class.
That won't work.

<<I have got into some arguments over this with some of my junior classmates at the time.
Some people seem to believe that those two are not compatible. They say you either do the set
with perfect stances for 15-20 sec. or you do it for 1 min each but you keep your stances high
and are allowed to get up when the leg is tired... The idea being that over time, a student
would naturally come to achieve 1 min. for each stance. Personally, I think that is wrong.
How can you expect to achieve more by doing less!?! To me, you do the stances right and you
don't get up for a min. and that's it. Of course, I admit that when beginning, your legs are not
as strong and a person will get up from his stance from time to time but the goal should be the
same. I say: do not lower the standard so you can do it, but rather keep the standard where it is
and train harder to achieve it! They say it's a difference of teaching methods, I say it's a
difference of mentality. What is your opinion/experience?>>

Kung Fu simply is the chore, hardwork, and the merits that came from it. It is a LIFE STYLE not a
game/play So, you are right about having and maintain a minimum standard. But today, the
sport/entertainment of the younger generation is just too deeply entranched in Canadian culture.
*sigh*

<<About the 2nd point: I agree with what you wrote. I do my horse at different heights to train
different things/feel different structures. The parallel one is not to be used when moving but
strictly for training for the reason you mention ie too low and you can't move fast and smooth.
The structure of the horse is slightly different at every height. The high one is done with feet
parallel and knees out. The medium one is with feet almost parallel and knees natural
(neither pushed "in" or "out"). The low one is done with feet angled with the thighs and the
knees natural but with the waist "sunken in" or "rounded in" (I hate to describe this stuff,
when done correctly, one understand what I mean..) so that it feels like it is your body
structure/alignment that supports your body more so than exclusively your thigh muscles.>>

The feet parallel is a detail that a lot of people missed. It helps to "lock" the hips in place
(no slacking). Unless the student has a problem with the hips and/or knees the feet should always
be in parallel. This stablizes the hips and for proper power generation. The "rounded in" is known
as pelvic tilt position. The allows the tail bone to point directly to the ground and the spine
will align naturally strict. Needless to said this facility proper power generation. You are right
that it is not a mere local mucscular strength. It is skeletal-musculature.

<<About the 3rd point: I agree but do you keep them bent a little even for the 1st and 2nd stance
of the last section (ie the one-legged and the eagle stance; sorry, my teacher wasn't chinese and
we had to make up our own stance names...)? I ask since those two do not involve any hand
strikes or block hence no "crack of the whip", right? My understanding of it is that keeping the
arms straight in those stances trained and stretched the forearm muscles and tendons.>>

Ah... The one-legged Stance's hands position is also skeletal-musculature disposition. They are
protective measures beside helping the balance. They are bented at an angle that is "naturely"
strong similar to Hung Gar body mechanics principles. We do "stretch" in a sense but not obvious
to the point that it stresses the whole structure. It's hard to describe on-line.

<<About the 4th point: Thanks for the pointer. I will try to force my breathing down and just
keep working on it. I don't mind working on it as long as I know it is possible to achieve. >>

Breathing like everything else has to be natural. Avoid forcing anything that is most important.
If you develop abdominal breathing as your natural way of breathing. it will work wonder.

<<Besides the obvious hand positions/techniques, the only difference between the 1st and 2nd cat
stance is the opening of the hips, right?>>

Yes.

<<The first one is squarely [or just a slight angle) facing your opponent so the hips are
square/closed and the second one is done with the body turned sideways so the hips are open,
right? >>

Yes.

<<Gee, when writing this down, I feel like I'm being obsessed with details but aren't the details
what makes the difference in the end? >>

Well, as Sigung Chiu and Galen (my mentor) used to say, there are no secrets but details in Kung
Fu. Kung Fu mysticism did/does not fly with them. You are on the right track, my friend.

<<I mean, I trained in southern styles a lot longer than I was with my first teacher who taught
me the baat da ma bo so my fear is to do it like a hung gar stylist. I want to do the mantis set
like a taiji mantis guy. Plus, I know I will probably keep doing that form as long as I do kf
since I have already done it for so long. I have dismissed so many sets I learned over the years
that the few ones that I kept and train regularly are very important to me. Because of that, I
tend to focus on many small details.>>

I hear you. I applaud your effort in keep the BDMB and keep exploring the possibilties. I must
said you have a keen eye. Keep it up.

<<I know I cannot offer you much in return besides my gratitude and the assurance that your
comments are not wasted but I would greatly appreciate if you could provide the chinese
(cantonese or mandarin) names with their common english translation for each stance. I just like
to be able to call things by their names as opposed to by the names I made up for them.>>

It gives me a great pleasure in sharing already, so don't worry about it.I will try to get you a
translation later.

<<Thank you for your offer to email you but I would like to welcome any input from other
knowledgeable people as long as this subject is open and not personal. Though it seems that for
a basic set, not too many people seem to be able or willing to comment on it... You can email me
as well (my adress is in my profile) if you want or feel more comfortable to discuss in private.>>

Ah.. he who speaks know not. I love to hear other's view as well. Anyway, thanks for listening always
a pleasure to share.

Mantis108

MasterPhil
11-05-2001, 06:16 AM
Thanks again for your reply. I apologize I took so long to respond but things are busier at work these days and at night, well, I'd rather train than surf :)

"build the balance between leverage and speed. Strength (of the legs) is an integral
part of this balance not the other way around" – we agree.

"But then at class you'd want to devote your time on the learning. A lot of people
don't understand this simple point. They hardly practice at home and wish to learn more in class. That won't work." – Very true. Back in my kf schools days, my personal kungfu secret was to always practice harder and longer at home so that when I would go to a normal group class, I was sure to be able to do all exercises with ease so that I could fully concentrate on learning. People who think they can become good by just going to class are dreaming...

"Kung Fu simply is the chore, hardwork, and the merits that came from it. It is a LIFE STYLE not a game/play" – People's kungfu is only as good as the effort they put into it.

Anyway, thanks again for your insight!

ST

P.S. "The 1-3 mins is just a general guideline for doing it in class." - A 3 min. per stance BDMB would last a full hour... I bet you didn't make many friends in those classes, lol! Now that's MY kind of group therapy! :)