PDA

View Full Version : Besides Sparring, Drilling, and Atribute Training?

HumbleWCGuy
01-14-2010, 01:15 AM
There is a lot that goes into fighting beyond the physical aspects philosophy, awareness training, building confidence, legal, and so on. I am curious about what kinds of things people spend time on outside of the regular stuff.

HumbleWCGuy
01-14-2010, 01:24 AM
for example, every now and again, I like to do a little bit of role playing to help the kids learn how to deal with bums and strangers.

Hardwork108
01-14-2010, 06:40 AM
There is a lot that goes into fighting beyond the physical aspects philosophy, awareness training, building confidence, legal, and so on. I am curious about what kinds of things people spend time on outside of the regular stuff.

Conflict avoidance is a good area of study to look into. Avoiding conflict is always the better option, specially in the part of the world where I live in.

Also thinking about pre-fight dialogue (where applicable) and its implications. Sometimes one can cool down a situation through the correct use of words and tone. Other times a situation will escalate unnecessarily because of the wrong choice of words.

I believe that one should think about possible scenarios and the words one could use to cool the whole thing down. Mental exercises, if you will.

Lee Chiang Po
01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Conflict avoidance is a good area of study to look into. Avoiding conflict is always the better option, specially in the part of the world where I live in.

Also thinking about pre-fight dialogue (where applicable) and its implications. Sometimes one can cool down a situation through the correct use of words and tone. Other times a situation will escalate unnecessarily because of the wrong choice of words.

I believe that one should think about possible scenarios and the words one could use to cool the whole thing down. Mental exercises, if you will.

Both of you make perfectly good sense. In order to train for prefight or avoidance one really needs to do some role playing. Fighting in and of itself is not real training as such, but merely a way of testing out your training. And for the most part, when we step onto the mat we are facing someone of fairly equal training in most cases, and fully aware of your intentions. By serious roll playing you can approach it from a reality basis. you are accosted or confronted by an assailent, maybe not a violent frontal attack yet, but something possibly leading up to that. You can do the things that your are trained to do from that set of circumstances rather than an all out frontal attack. And usually, when this sort of thing happens, you do have an advantage of surprise unless you jump back and square off at him. I have a theory that one should never posture in order to thwart aggression. It might not work, and at the same time can give your assailent some idea of your willness to fight. At the very least you have given up your advantage of surprise.

LCP

sanjuro_ronin
01-14-2010, 01:12 PM
http://xectrik.net/images/motivationalposters/cat_vs_eagle.jpg

Hardwork108
01-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Both of you make perfectly good sense. In order to train for prefight or avoidance one really needs to do some role playing. Fighting in and of itself is not real training as such, but merely a way of testing out your training. And for the most part, when we step onto the mat we are facing someone of fairly equal training in most cases, and fully aware of your intentions. By serious roll playing you can approach it from a reality basis. you are accosted or confronted by an assailent, maybe not a violent frontal attack yet, but something possibly leading up to that. You can do the things that your are trained to do from that set of circumstances rather than an all out frontal attack. And usually, when this sort of thing happens, you do have an advantage of surprise unless you jump back and square off at him. I have a theory that one should never posture in order to thwart aggression. It might not work, and at the same time can give your assailent some idea of your willness to fight. At the very least you have given up your advantage of surprise.

LCP

Very good points. The sifus that I have known have all advised against posturing or showing your kung fu guard. The basic approach was that if all else has failed and you have to fight then you just hit or in some cases see what your (single) opponent will do. That is wait for him to move so that "you first move".;)

grasshopper 2.0
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Role playing is great..i find it hard for those training to take it seriously.

the other thing i like to do - change up the environment! put in obstacles (tables, chairs, smaller room, larger room, etc).

or bring out the video camera - have them do spontaneous demonstrations...that kinda surprises them..and stresses them nicely too.

anerlich
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Besides Sparring, Drilling, and Atribute Training?

Trolling and b!tching on KFO.

Hardwork108
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Besides Sparring, Drilling, and Atribute Training?

Trolling and b!tching on KFO.

You really need to get yourself a good sifu and start practicing actual kung fu seriously. Believe me that this will help you understand the more "confusing" aspects of TCMAs and hence help you overcome the recent upsurge in your negativeness.;)

anerlich
01-14-2010, 03:39 PM
This message is hidden because Horse'sA$$108 is on your ignore list.

Hardwork108
01-14-2010, 10:31 PM
This message is hidden because Horse'sA$$108 is on your ignore list.

Now, don't be rude. Authentic kung fu training would help you get over whatever it is that you have been suffering from in the recent past. However, it has to be authentic TCMAs not some glorified kickboxing that is so common among the "kung fu-ists" posting in internet forums!:)

Wayfaring
01-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Now, don't be rude. Authentic kung fu training would help you get over whatever it is that you have been suffering from in the recent past. However, it has to be authentic TCMAs not some glorified kickboxing that is so common among the "kung fu-ists" posting in internet forums!:)

Troll rating: 6.5

Hardwork108
01-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Troll rating: 6.5
I have actually contributed to the subject matter of this thread. Where is your contribution?

Or are you just here to troll?:rolleyes:

m1k3
01-15-2010, 07:58 PM

But I practice Battlefield glorified kickboxing.

Hardwired198, what do call an authentic kung fu master who fights a glorified kick boxer in a challenge match?

Loser.

:D

Hardwork108
01-15-2010, 11:54 PM
But I practice Battlefield glorified kickboxing.

Hardwired198, what do call an authentic kung fu master who fights a glorified kick boxer in a challenge match?

I would "call" the authentic master on the phone before the fight and ask him to be merciful to the retard.

Wayfaring
01-16-2010, 03:24 AM
I have actually contributed to the subject matter of this thread. Where is your contribution?

You certainly do contribute a lot of matter around here. We all need hip waders to move through all of the matter you contribute.

k gledhill
01-16-2010, 08:57 AM
for example, every now and again, I like to do a little bit of role playing to help the kids learn how to deal with bums and strangers.

I try to give relevant info to guys , like air marshals get stuff for confined spaces, I did a demo at the Newark NJ branch in mock up airliners they have in the buildings, showing how to use trapping [ iow avoid openly hitting a perp in plane full of passengers ] using both hand and leg traps to immobilize against the seats in the aisles/ bulkheads...
dealing with firearms, gun retention, trapping to drawing the gun , being aware of where to place the holster if possible for this thinking , how to draw the gun , stress methods for reloading and using the natural ^ of wing chun to aim and avoid adrenalin shake in the arms, punching the gun at a target to avoid recoil and lose the line of fire, vt punching is perfect for this....contrary to popular belief a bullet hole in the bulkhead wont cause a decompression like gold-finger in 007 :D vt is perfect for fighting in jets

legal stuff too, Ive been to court too many times to be on both sides :D and incarcerated more than I can admit openly ...

I like to give reality of 'life' experiences ...effects of strikes delivered in various ways, open palm strikes to heads have a different effect than a fist , what happens when you deliver a front kick to someone :D.what happens when you eye jab a guy, ..it is my experience that many guys are teaching 'combos' that are simply unrealistic, they look good but have little basis on force being transmitted to a moving object.

How to use walls to ram guys into, using objects in the room to make guys fall over/into , something a nice clean training floor doesnt usually have...a full bar ;)
And using outside parked cars as the 'wall' to trap into, trapping and chasing a guy whos running 10 ft from you iow youve trapped an overswing at you at the elbow but they try to get away from you for an extended distance...stay with them...you keep after them until they cant move to the nearest bulk head / brick wall /car ...then hit them

Using balance control drills with footwork of vt ...keeping a guy on his heels or toes by control to an exact point not giving the control back . I have used this a lot when guys grab my wrists as they charge me with no warning....or dragging guys by the neck collar with enough force to put them in an unbalanced state of your control before grounding them for kicks to the head or stomps to the neck...

you need to fight guys with clothing on like suits etc...:D how to fight with a coat on ...shoes, how a shoe will effect your kick and how to prep it . what to do if a guy grabs your clothing, like a coat

Using weapons ..chairs , bottles , what to expect when you hit someone wiith a bottle ..its not like the movies ;)

dealing with multiple attackers 3-4 I give ideas rather than 'moves'

how to avoid take downs , sprawls... getting out of a Kimura .... shrimping ...why not to go down in the first place if at all... getting out of headlocks ..I spend a lot of time doing this to my students . Showing the reasons for adopting a side stance and not a lead leg stance in a face off...

impact with focus mitts on a entering/attacking or counter attacking angles to left or right lines of force entry...
dealing with a random lines crossing the centerline on a fight with wild swings...
how not to try and use hard blocks like classic misused tan block but with motion and evasion for angling positions , using tactical mind sets instead of a bunch of memorized 'moves'..

Hardwork108
01-16-2010, 10:48 AM
You certainly do contribute a lot of matter around here. We all need hip waders to move through all of the matter you contribute.

So, where is your contribution or are you going to continue to troll?:rolleyes:

Wayfaring
01-16-2010, 04:45 PM
So, where is your contribution or are you going to continue to troll?:rolleyes:

Hmmm let me see:

Hardwork108 - join date Jan 2009 # posts 1902 - average 5 posts a day

Wayfaring - join date - Nov 2004 # posts - 566 - average 0.3 posts a day

son, you just run your mouth a hell of a lot more than I do.

Hardwork108
01-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Hmmm let me see:

Hardwork108 - join date Jan 2009 # posts 1902 - average 5 posts a day

Wayfaring - join date - Nov 2004 # posts - 566 - average 0.3 posts a day

son, you just run your mouth a hell of a lot more than I do.
That is because I have a lot more to say regarding the TCMAs than you do.

Your "contributions" in this thread further prove my point! LOL

Wayfaring
01-16-2010, 11:35 PM
That is because I have a lot more to say regarding the TCMAs than you do.

Which just goes as a further illustration that quantity != quality in TCMA's.

Hardwork108
01-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Which just goes as a further illustration that quantity != quality in TCMA's.
You are one of the least qualified persons here to discuss the qualities of the TCMAs. You are just a hopelessly clueless MMA-ist.

I just wonder why you post here. Did you lack attention as a child?:confused:

And will you get over it when you, one day, grow up? LOL

Wayfaring
01-17-2010, 12:42 AM
You are one of the least qualified persons here to discuss the qualities of the TCMAs. You are just a hopelessly clueless MMA-ist.

You have no knowledge of any of my qualifications. Actually I don't even know who you are. For all we know, you could be an alter ego of Ashida Kim, or a grown man living in his mom's basement. The way you post, either would be highly likely.

Oh, and LOL at your signature - you take up half a page to quote yourself about how clever your trolling is. Maybe your mom should review it?

Hardwork108
01-17-2010, 01:11 AM
You have no knowledge of any of my qualifications.
I know, based on what you write, that your kung fu qualifications add up to a round zero.

Actually I don't even know who you are. For all we know, you could be an alter ego of Ashida Kim,
Who or what is Ashida Kim?:confused:

Where do you get all these names from? Yoda, Planet Federation and now Ashida Kim????

You must have had some weird history, I tell ya!!!

or a grown man living in his mom's basement. The way you post, either would be highly likely.
Actually I live on the other side of the world to my mum. However, if you assumed differently and are jealous then I can always call and ask her if she would like to adopt you? LOL

Oh, and LOL at your signature - you take up half a page to quote yourself about how clever your trolling is.
The victim of my cleverness in my signature is a fellow know nothing knucklehead, of yours. He posts here under different names, I believe.

Maybe your mom should review it?
OK, Ok, OK, you win. I will call my mom first thing tomorrow and see if she wants to adopt a knucklehead.

Hey, by the way, how are your chimney cleaning skills? And are you good at cutting (NOT smoking!!) grass? Also, what do want your adoptive name to be? Ken Shamrock or Royce Gracie, perhaps? I would prefer Gracie, it is just girlie enough to suite you. Anyway, you decide, so think about it and let me know tomorrow.

Wayfaring
01-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I know, based on gazing at the back of my eyelids while on the hookah, that your kung fu qualifications are puzzling.

Where is Ashida Kim?:confused: I haven't seen him since I did his Internet Ninja training and was awarded my "authentic kung fu certificate".

You just don't understand my weird history, I tell ya!!!

Actually I live on the other side of the world to my mum. However, I am very homesick and miss living in her basement. LOL

The victim of my cleverness in my signature is a fellow know nothing knucklehead. He posts here under different names, I believe. It was so awesome how I completely p4wned him with my int3rw3bz skillz. I can totally see how honing my authentic kung fu skillz on the battlefield in World of Warcraft has helped me prepare for battles such as this in real life on the interwebz.

OK, Ok, OK, you win. I will call my mom first thing tomorrow and see if she wants to give me my old room back in her basement.

There, fixed that for ya.

t_niehoff
01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
There, fixed that for ya.

ROFLOL! Well played, sir. Well played. :)

Dragonzbane76
01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
well played indeed. :D

Hardwork108
01-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Shiiiiit does really stick together....LOL! :D

Dragonzbane76
01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Shiiiiit does really stick together....LOL!

in your case, yes, yes it does. :) you are one big turd.

Hardwork108
01-18-2010, 06:21 PM
in your case, yes, yes it does. :) you are one big turd.

And you guys are all on my case! LOL

Dragonzbane76
01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
And you guys are all on my case! LOL

guess it's you 'winning' personality. :p

LSWCTN1
02-03-2010, 06:22 AM
think about when trouble most often appears.

certainly for young men of my age it is on nights out when drink is involved.

train in jeans, shoes (not trainers) and slimmer fitting shirts. it actually improves your wck!

wtxs
02-03-2010, 11:27 AM

train in jeans, shoes (not trainers) and slimmer fitting shirts. it actually improves your wck!

Going to the wrong kind of club, that body hugging shirt you be wearing may get you into an whole different type of trouble. ;);):p:p:D:D You may have to use more then your WC skills.

Hardwork108
02-03-2010, 12:09 PM

That is a sensible approach to training.

One can take that further and perhaps go out in looser fitting clothes. I used to go out a lot wearing Chinos or Chino type trousers. Normal size shirts will not restrict you too much but then you can wear looser shirts as well.