PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Routines by Experts

Eugene
01-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Hi My name is Eugene,

I am new here and have alot of questions, the first one is :

Is it true that the following routines are shown by the monks who know them the best :

Mei Hua Quan done by Shi Guo Song
Da Hong Quan, shown by the young Shi De Yang..

Its seems to be but I am a kung fu beginner that one style can really fit someone from top to toe like Taizu Chan Quan done by Shi Heng Jun

Shaolin Pao Chui done by Shi Yong Xin,
Seven Star Fist done by Shi Yong Zhi,
Xiao Hong Quan again for me by Shi Guo Song

I have a feeling people are born for one or two styles, anatomicly, etc.

Mayeb I am all wrong, but If feel much more at home practicing Mei Hua then Xiao Hong for example.

All these monks have different body`s.

Do you share this idea, or am I way off ?

I am happy to be on here, peace out Eugene

Shaolin
01-19-2010, 10:28 AM
I do not practice styles, I play with movements. When I was a beginner I learned the templates (forms), later I learned the applications, then the underlining concepts and martial theory. After awhile the movements became second nature and the forms disappeared leaving only the movements to create and express myself with.

Write your question down in your notes and revisit it in a year, see what answers you come up with after another year of practice.

Eugene
01-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi Shaolin,

I will make a note ! :)

It seems a bit funny that hard work comes with learning forms and then be left alone, i cannot imagine that yet.

How do you practice, and how or what do you self express ?

I take your anwser serius, and will check myself in a year.

But I was wondering more about the * Xiao Hong Quan Choreo * ( or others )
Wich person, for me Shi Guo Song, does the combination of the movements, also each movement looked at alone, and the flow of it all maybe not the best, but seems to fitted the best in.

Like when I do a Michael Jackson chroreo, i am sure that michael has the best body to show it all etc

Maybe my question is odd.

Well, peace out, Eugene

GeneChing
01-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Eugene, where ever did you get that idea?

Eugene
01-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi GeneChing,

I have been loving the Shaolin Pao Chui form for a while,

and one day I saw a picture, wich said the following :

WSE-128

SHAOLIN PAO QUAN

Demonstrator: Shi Yongxin, 33rd generation from Shaolin Temple

Format: VCD

Language: Chinese / English

Price/pcs:
95 SEK 9.95 €

That is all i know, I am no expert ! haha

Peace oud Eugene

Eugene
01-19-2010, 01:28 PM
And I believe Shi Xing Mi from Italy told me, there where 2 Shi Yong Xin`s.

kfson
01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
In forms that have animal styles, some people are better at some animals than others because of their particular mind and body.

Lucas
01-19-2010, 03:09 PM
The idea that each persons body is different and will inherantly perfrom certain actions better than it will others is a widely held understanding.

Keep in mind though also that a large portion of martial arts training (especially at the beginning stages) is shaping, and developing our bodies. What you may not be able to perform today, may not be so difficult in the future.

When I first started Wushu I thought I would never be able to jump off one leg, kick above the head, and land all on that same leg without using my other leg. After many hours of practice and conditioning, I became good at it.

Many people at some point in their wushu career will choose something to specialize in. This often includes one or several routines to master and perfect. My sifu told me one time of someone who decided to specialize and only practice xiao hong quan for the rest of his career. I dont know anything about that person, but you can be sure he got very very good at that routine.

LFJ
01-20-2010, 09:02 PM
And I believe Shi Xing Mi from Italy told me, there where 2 Shi Yong Xin`s.

right, the abbot is yǒngxìn (永信 faith). this performer is yǒngxīn (永欣 happiness).

kfson
01-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi My name is Eugene,

I am new here and have alot of questions, the first one is :

Is it true that the following routines are shown by the monks who know them the best :

Mei Hua Quan done by Shi Guo Song
Da Hong Quan, shown by the young Shi De Yang..

Its seems to be but I am a kung fu beginner that one style can really fit someone from top to toe like Taizu Chan Quan done by Shi Heng Jun

Shaolin Pao Chui done by Shi Yong Xin,
Seven Star Fist done by Shi Yong Zhi,
Xiao Hong Quan again for me by Shi Guo Song

I have a feeling people are born for one or two styles, anatomicly, etc.

Mayeb I am all wrong, but If feel much more at home practicing Mei Hua then Xiao Hong for example.

All these monks have different body`s.

Do you share this idea, or am I way off ?

I am happy to be on here, peace out Eugene

Shaolin Ditang Mei Hua Quan - 01 - Performed by Shi Guo Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcfUZeF0pcM

Shaolin Da Hong Quan Yi Lu - 01 - Shi De Yang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnC8FVBC29M

chan quan by shi heng jun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxKRLO3SCio

Shaolin Pao Chui
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O85HqfdCU74

Shaolin Qi Xing Quan - 02 - performed by Shi Yong Zhi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9ymxVr20M

Shaolin Xiao Hong Quan - 03 - Performed by Shi Guo Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6KAHDd0Pqw

GeneChing
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Eugene - it's not quite accurate to say that the "routines are shown by the monks who know them the best." That's difficult to measure. What you have is a particular showcase of forms. The monks chosen to demonstrate those forms are considered to be the top level at what they do by the filmmakers, but that's different from being the 'best.' At Shaolin, there are many top level practitioners of each of these forms. So comes down to semantics. If you mean to say best in a singular sense, then no, there is no best. If you mean best as in top level, then yes, these showcased monks all have good skills for this.

As for body shape and forms, I'm working on a piece where a Shaolin graduate comments that traditional Shaolin is 'one size fits all'. You'll have to read the next issue to understand what he means by that. In my experience, I've worked with many monks with different body types, and they make the forms fit their bodies. It's not uncommon to have favorite forms, but you shouldn't neglect a certain form just because you don't think it fits your body type. Quite the opposite, actually. ;)

Eugene
01-22-2010, 04:28 AM
Thx all for the anwsers I have a better idea now about it :)

Peace Eugene