PDA

View Full Version : Upon A Reflection...

mantis108
10-28-2001, 08:40 PM
I came cross this thought while reading the "What's the difference" thread. Upon reflection on live performances and Video materials, I seem to notice that the flashier the forms of the style (here we are taking Mantis styles in particular), the more fancy the applications became. Now, it could just be me, but I am wondering if any of you feel that way about stylistic differences? My Sigung's forms (live) and Tainan Mantis's Shrfu forms (on tape). I have seen them and they are not at all flashy. In fact, they are very plain and direct. When it came to applications, they carry the same attitudes. I am not bashing WuShu mantis, as far as I know their flashy form (I think there is only one form of WuShu mantis) virtually has no application (not that I know of). There are Mantis styles that are "crossing" over to the WuShu way which seems that their applications are getting water down as well. I am kind of wondering would that be the flashiness is really the downfall of a style? Certainly, we can't judge a book by the cover, but my question is that should it be WYSIWYG with martial art or spice it up and risk impracticality?

BTW, if there is "practical" application in WuShu Mantis please someone enlighten me.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

Tainan Mantis
10-29-2001, 05:09 PM
If the forms were created with the master not understanding PM applications and 2 man forms then the PM form is not useful. Since the wushu forms are meant to "look" good it seems that they have no or little MA application.
But on seeing the form(haven't learned) it is obviuos that no new moves have been invented, just a new arrangement.
Sometimes there is a large exageration, for example when they grab the cicada they stay in that position for quite a long while and bob up and down. I don't think that, in itself is bad, as long as the follow up techniques are based on PM.
If someon who has learned a lot of the PM 2 man forms learned that form they may be able to make it into a 2 man too.

On the other hand, there are traditional PM forms in which the 2 man counterpart is missing in some schools. With out that, it is easy for the movements to metamorph into something useless in a very short time, maybe 1-2 generations.
In that case, something that was once good turns into junk.