PDA

View Full Version : Been visiting schools:

kfson
01-21-2010, 08:22 AM
I have been visiting combined Xing Yi, Bagua, Taiji schools in my area. All are very courteous, open to questions, and exhibit their basic forms.

Although one school gave me a big sale but would not exhibit basic forms (secret) and expected me to pay a processing fee and one year tuition.

What do you think? No names please.

Edit:
And I would have had to sign an agreement not to divulge any of the teachings to anyone outside the school.

B-Rad
01-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I think that one school is trying to scam people :p It's doubtful there are any "secret" forms in any of those styles that are actually worth keeping secret. Just about everything can be found online.

Scott R. Brown
01-21-2010, 09:15 AM
And I would have had to sign an agreement not to divulge any of the teachings to anyone outside the school.

That is because if anyone in the KNOW saw the forms they would be able to tell you you are being taught crapola!

Secret forms does not necessarily equal good forms!

David Jamieson
01-21-2010, 09:30 AM
anyone who keeps secrets from you in a learning environment is only seeking to control you for their own self interest.

anyone who wants you to sign a contract without presenting anything, is lying to you and seeking to control you.

Leave those people at the wayside, they have no value.

Hebrew Hammer
01-21-2010, 09:51 AM

Scott R. Brown
01-21-2010, 09:57 AM

Yeah, but tell them they can't tell anyone you are training there!!:D

TenTigers
01-21-2010, 10:00 AM
yes, and once you are training there, when the Sifu asks to see your form, refuse and tell him it's a secret!

Scott R. Brown
01-21-2010, 10:02 AM
yes, and once you are training there, when the Sifu asks to see your form, refuse and tell him it's a secret!

HEY!!!! I signed a contract!!!

taai gihk yahn
01-21-2010, 10:06 AM

ROFLMAO! only from the mind of Rik...

kfson
01-21-2010, 10:10 AM

HA, only from a Hebrew mind, shalom!

xcakid
01-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I have been visiting combined Xing Yi, Bagua, Taiji schools in my area. All are very courteous, open to questions, and exhibit their basic forms.

Although one school gave me a big sale but would not exhibit basic forms (secret) and expected me to pay a processing fee and one year tuition.

What do you think? No names please.

Edit:

Your profile says DFW. You are not talking about the Wujido school are you?
Not sure what part of DFW you are in, but if you are in No Dallas, check out this school: http://www.cheng-ming-usa.org/index.htm
also: http://www.leeswhiteleopardkungfu.com/ (they have contracts)

kfson
01-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Your profile says DFW. You are not talking about the Wujido school are you?
Not sure what part of DFW you are in, but if you are in No Dallas, check out this school: http://www.cheng-ming-usa.org/index.htm
also: http://www.leeswhiteleopardkungfu.com/ (they have contracts)

Thanks, I will not name names, but the bottom 2 are in top 3 on the list of lists... thanks for confirmation.

PlumDragon
01-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Dont play the secrecy game, its overrated. Personally, I feel that when people are very secret about what they have, it often boils down to the fact that they either dont have much to offer and so they spread it out over they years; or what they do have isnt all that profound, so they have to build up the suspense by making trivial points seem like a big deal.

If you want to thrive, you need a teacher who will foster your growth by not holding back information. You dont need to hang around for 5 or 20 years or whatever to get the good stuff--you should be getting good stuff every time you set your foot in the door. You should leave each session feeling as if you are more knowledgeable and skilled than when you left. If you can be in this situation when you train, it wont even matter what style you are studying, because the results will speak for themselves.

Thats how my teachers train me and I try to emulate that while I train my students...

David Jamieson
01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
keeping in mind a couple of things.

As time passes, the law of diminishing returns kicks in and because you are not learning a given piece at this point in time doesn't mean it's being withheld, it's usually because it will come in due time.

people who have not completed the basics will generally not be given more difficult pieces to practice because that would be a waste of time for everyone involved.

Hardwork108
01-21-2010, 03:41 PM
I think that one school is trying to scam people :p It's doubtful there are any "secret" forms in any of those styles that are actually worth keeping secret. Just about everything can be found online.

I believe that the secrets are in the way the forms are interpreted and performed including some not so apparent priniples, breathing, types of intention and velocity etc. etc, rather then the standard performance of the forms themselves.:)

Xiao3 Meng4
01-21-2010, 03:59 PM
I believe that the secrets are in the way the forms are interpreted and performed including some not so apparent priniples, breathing, types of intention and velocity etc. etc, rather then the standard performance of the forms themselves.:)

I think it's awesome how your signature is a disclaimer for your own posts. Kudos.

Hardwork108
01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I think it's awesome how your signature is a disclaimer for your own posts. Kudos.

It seems that your experience of the so called "Dynamic Tension" forms is rather limited. If it wasn't then you would have known exactly what I was talking about!

So I guess the "awesomeness" of my signature relates more to your post than mine!!!

Xiao3 Meng4
01-21-2010, 04:19 PM
:D

you're right, my Sifus have nothing left to show me.

Hardwork108
01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
:D

you're right, my Sifus have nothing left to show me.

:eek:

Find new ones, for god's sake!:D

Xiao3 Meng4
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Finding a new Kung Fu sifu or teacher is not what I need at this juncture.

However, for those that are actively looking, I recommend that they heed the general guidance of this forum and stay away from any and all clubs and businesses that aim to seduce you with claims of "secret," "hidden," "legendary," and similar powers, techniques, skills and/or abilities, especially those that want to lock you into some kind of contract. Examine things thoroughly: regarding Kung Fu clubs, try to go during sparring night or something. If they won't let you watch, something might be wrong. If you do get to watch, talk to the students after class and ask them how long they've been training. Ask each of them something technical, too: that way you'll get a general feel for the club's level of honesty regarding what it is that they do (again, look out for "secrets!")