PDA

View Full Version : what is slt training is for?

Hendrik
01-21-2010, 12:40 PM
a good Set was created to serve a purpose in a unique way.

and the purpose cannot be everything.
also it can not be as everyone intepletation --- or as one likes it.
It got nothing todo with who one learn it from or the name or title of one's sifu.

So what is doing SLT is for? Be totally specific which can back up by your ability which attain by doing SLT.

JPinAZ
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
You go first..

INicba
01-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I would say that one of the main purposes of SLT is to teach the practitioner how to move from one hand position to another in a most economical way, while maintaining good alignment and a connection with the root. If practiced in a certein way, it also teaches how to move your hands as effortlesly as possible.

The combination of this three aspects contributes to the development and understanding of how to transition from diffrent hand positiones in a efficient manner (in the sense of movement and energy usage) yet still having your whole unified upper-lower body behind every move, contributing to the maximum power potential behind every attack or defence in WCK.

If performed in a certein way, it also hightenes awarnes of your own body, and thus teaches a form of sensitivety, which can then also be applyed to external stimulus. In simpler words, you can train yourself to allways seek the path of minimum resistance and your maximum structural strength; but trying to achieve both at the same time.

BTW, I too would aslo like to hear what you think on the subject, Hendrik.

grasshopper 2.0
01-22-2010, 12:44 AM
i can't help but to read "SLT" not as "ESS ELL TEE" or Sil lum tao..but "****"

that said..i have no problems with doing SLT

cobra
01-22-2010, 08:28 AM
"force of idea"

taai gihk yahn
01-22-2010, 06:02 PM
You go first..

Hey, HE'S asking the questions here, not you! :mad:

Scott R. Brown
01-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Hey, HE'S asking the questions here, not you! :mad:

There you go specubating in public............again!!:eek:

Lee Chiang Po
01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Sil Lim Tao is basically for beginners. It is a complete form designed to teach form and distance as well as the hand positions and weapons. First, you develop your stance. Second, you define center line. Everything is done on center line. This form will cement that concept. You learn all the defensive pary and block techinques as well as the hand weapons while in stance. You learn to space your feet accurately and assume the bent knee. You do everything on center line until it is solidly engrained into your habits. If you want to use tan sao, you do it on your own center line, and you will shift at the hip or feet to achieve an angle if need be, but the technique remains on your center line. This is what Sil lim tao teaches you. Once you have this form perfectly cemented into habit you move on to the Chum Kil form. This form then teaches you to move and shift about while applying the concepts you cemented with sil lim. It is all contained in sil lim, but there are no secrets and nothing is hidden.

Hendrik
01-23-2010, 10:06 PM
You go first..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-o7lPtPObY

不是英雄 不讀三國 ( not a hero , will not read the tri kingdom)

若是英雄怎麼能 不懂寂寞 ( if one is a hero, how could one doesnt know loneliness?)

兒女情長被亂世左右 誰來煮酒 (a love afair influence by a chaotic era, who will have the time to warm the wine and discuss who is the hero of the heros)

紛紛擾擾千百年以後 一切又從頭 (hundreds years of turbulence, everything start from scratch again.)

Hendrik
01-23-2010, 10:12 PM
BTW, I too would aslo like to hear what you think on the subject, Hendrik.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZjOLCc_2E&feature=related

風到這裡就是粘 ( Wind arive here become sticky)
粘住過客的思念 (Sticking the traveller's mind)

寧願我就葬在這一點 ( I rather burried at this point)
圈圈圓圓圈圈 (circle round circle)
當夢被埋在江南煙雨中 ( when one's dream buried within the southern fog and rain)
心碎了才懂 ( one will realize it after the mind is broken.)

Hendrik
01-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Sil Lim Tao is basically for beginners. It is a complete form designed to teach form and distance as well as the hand positions and weapons. First, you develop your stance. Second, you define center line. Everything is done on center line. This form will cement that concept. You learn all the defensive pary and block techinques as well as the hand weapons while in stance. You learn to space your feet accurately and assume the bent knee. You do everything on center line until it is solidly engrained into your habits. If you want to use tan sao, you do it on your own center line, and you will shift at the hip or feet to achieve an angle if need be, but the technique remains on your center line. This is what Sil lim tao teaches you. Once you have this form perfectly cemented into habit you move on to the Chum Kil form. This form then teaches you to move and shift about while applying the concepts you cemented with sil lim. It is all contained in sil lim, but there are no secrets and nothing is hidden.

True.

if it stays this simple then there is no WCK in 1850 which CLF seek approve.

There sure have no secret, it is only some sees the depth some not.

INicba
01-24-2010, 03:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZjOLCc_2E&feature=related

風到這裡就是粘 ( Wind arive here become sticky)
粘住過客的思念 (Sticking the traveller's mind)

寧願我就葬在這一點 ( I rather burried at this point)
圈圈圓圓圈圈 (circle round circle)

I had my doubts at first. But I have come to the conclusion that this forum is a wealth of information beyond anyones imagination.

t_niehoff
01-24-2010, 05:29 AM
I had my doubts at first. But I have come to the conclusion that this forum is a wealth of information beyond anyones imagination.

When I begain training in WCK, there was a severe scarcity of info on WCK. Today, there is an overwhelming abundance of info on WCK. The problem is between 5 and 95% of that info is complete bullsh1t. Ferreting out the useful info from that BS takes very hard work.

INicba
01-24-2010, 06:34 AM
When I begain training in WCK, there was a severe scarcity of info on WCK. Today, there is an overwhelming abundance of info on WCK. The problem is between 5 and 95% of that info is complete bullsh1t. Ferreting out the useful info from that BS takes very hard work.

I stand corrected. Indeed, technicaly speaking, everything that was said on this thread is information. Even the video&lyrics response to the question: "what is slt training is for?".

I just wonder, Hendrik, did you expect that we should respond to your question with video&lyrics? If not, then I would appreciate the same curtisy I gave to you, when I tryed to answer your own question seriously.

That is unless you allready have the undoubtobly complete and correct answer to your question and you therefore feel no need to discuss it further, in which case I don't see the point of making this thread. Unless, of course, you find it satisfying to read other peoples responses, who don't know what they are talking about, while you have the correct answer.

On the other hand, there is the possibility that your response was sincere. In which case I would suggest checking out MTV; you might find it very enlightening on your martial arts journey.

Scott R. Brown
01-24-2010, 09:43 AM
I stand corrected. Indeed, technicaly speaking, everything that was said on this thread is information. Even the video&lyrics response to the question: "what is slt training is for?".

I just wonder, Hendrik, did you expect that we should respond to your question with video&lyrics? If not, then I would appreciate the same curtisy I gave to you, when I tryed to answer your own question seriously.

That is unless you allready have the undoubtobly complete and correct answer to your question and you therefore feel no need to discuss it further, in which case I don't see the point of making this thread. Unless, of course, you find it satisfying to read other peoples responses, who don't know what they are talking about, while you have the correct answer.

On the other hand, there is the possibility that your response was sincere. In which case I would suggest checking out MTV; you might find it very enlightening on your martial arts journey.

Hendrik is a nut and demonstrates very little social skill. At least very little, what is considered, social skill in western societies. Perhaps he fits in well with other Asians, but he is apparently inept when attempting to socialize with westerners.

Hendrik has a reputation on this BB for being arrogant, narcissistic and obtuse. He acts as if he knows everything, but won't deign to bestow any actual "wisdom" (read: "information") on the "ignorant"!

He tends to criticize others without providing a rational argument, or information, for his opinion. He tries to act like the stereo-typical Asian wise man, but ends up looking like a fool!

Having said that, he does "accidentally" say something of value on rare occasions.

taai gihk yahn
01-24-2010, 11:22 AM
for someone who derides others for their use of references to help them make their point, he sure does rely on the words of others to get his own across...apparently, he sees no contradiction here...

Hendrik
01-24-2010, 01:24 PM

Perhaps, it is not about imagination but break through and break lose one's mind set?

Perhaps, the communication needs to be carry out beyond imagination or speculation thoughts and in the platform of awareness or sensory where reality exist before the mind/thoughts starts?

Hendrik
01-24-2010, 01:27 PM
I just wonder, Hendrik, did you expect that we should respond to your question with video&lyrics?

If not, then I would appreciate the same curtisy I gave to you, when I tryed to answer your own question seriously.

If you get what is my message, feel free to respond with anything.

It is just a matter of what path one choose for communication any way.

There is no different between a lyrics of a song and a Kuen Kuit or Kor Kuit if it is pointing at the same moon.

BTW. seriousness in the thoughts and mind realm is just one of "story"/" alabi (sp?) among the millions of reasoning/alabi in the platform of awareness and sensory where one directly tap into the reality.

So, who is more serious? those who keep demand answer in the mind /reasoning realm or those who point the moon directly bypassing the mind realm?

No one can applied the same tan sau identically twice and thus, that is how far reasoning goes. No one can step in the same flowing water twice. that is reality.

in my previous reply:

The lyrics said

When will you be able to see/realize the reality? only when your mind and dream or fantasy is broken or your mind is quiet or in Silence.

The mind of thinking keep replical mimic the set means training.
The dream of some how keep replical mimic the set will "walla" and awake and attain the kung fu.
The fantasy of standing there waving hands means training.
all these has to be broken, then you see the truth.

Am I serous? deadly serious beyond reasoning; and most dont like to be that serious but love to be social similar to it is not the GOD one like to know but it is the title and authority or position in the church/temple one likes to have.

but again, those are just my personal take and practice my free speech. I force it to no one.

anerlich
01-24-2010, 02:02 PM
If you get what is my message

Way too much noise to signal there, bud.

dirtyrat
01-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Hendrik dreams of being "awake" telling others that dream to wake up......:p

Wayfaring
01-24-2010, 07:22 PM
So what is doing SLT is for? Be totally specific which can back up by your ability which attain by doing SLT.

A very old school answer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Hendrik
01-24-2010, 10:14 PM
If slt is practice with load of rules got to be this way that way..... then it is better off be as what In the clip. Atleast one is more alive and happy.

Phil Redmond
01-24-2010, 11:29 PM
You are probably very knowledgeable regarding Wing Chun. But your written English skills/style are lacking. Maybe you should have a native English speaker proof read your posts. We don't want to misinterpret any of your insights.

Phil Redmond
01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
To keep it simple. I equate SLT/SNT as the home keys on a keyboard. You need to have your fingers on the home keys or you'll type garble.

wtxs
01-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Hendrik is a nut and demonstrates very little social skill. At least very little, what is considered, social skill in western societies. Perhaps he fits in well with other Asians, but he is apparently inept when attempting to socialize with westerners.

With due respect to what you think of Hendrik, he's only an single drop of water in the Asian gene pool. Does what we posted on these threads reflects what or who we are? Can we assume this same mind set applies to anyone that has an different view point? Such as yourself ... or better yet, our infamous Mr. T. No need to go there please.

Peace and love, flower power man!

stonecrusher69
01-25-2010, 07:04 PM
a good Set was created to serve a purpose in a unique way.

and the purpose cannot be everything.
also it can not be as everyone intepletation --- or as one likes it.
It got nothing todo with who one learn it from or the name or title of one's sifu.

without skill the form has no essense so one has to start from the form. if one has essence then the form is alive and one no longer needs it..

Scott R. Brown
01-25-2010, 07:29 PM
With due respect to what you think of Hendrik, he's only an single drop of water in the Asian gene pool.

Before anyone misunderstands, as it appears you may have, my post was not a comment about Hendrik's race, but was a comment upon his behavior on this BB and a conjecture as to why he is a social misfit, which may be because of the difference between the Asian/Chinese culture and American/Western culture. The social rules of each culture are different. What appears rude or inappropriate to one culture may be perfectly reasonable and acceptable behavior in the other!

BTW my wife is Asian and this is how I know that the difference in the social rules between cultures may be a problem with Hendrik. I have experienced the differences personally and anyone who has experienced a culture other than their own for any length of time would understand this as well…..assuming they took the time to reflect upon it with an open mind absent their culturo-centric bias.

Does what we posted on these threads reflects what or who we are?

Yes it does! But each person's interpretation of the behavior/comments of others is subject to personal bias based upon what each of us brings with us and therefore subject to flaws, but it is all we have! It is also why others may disagree and post their disagreement thus providing insights from other perspectives than our own.

Can we assume this same mind set applies to anyone that has an different view point? Such as yourself ... or better yet, our infamous Mr. T. No need to go there please

It is not Hendrik’s "view point" that I was commenting upon, but his "well established" conduct on this board which reflects the very characteristics I mentioned in my post in question. With only 28 posts so far, it is doubtful you are as familiar with Hendrik as are most of us long term BB participants.

His behavior is nearly always cryptic, condescending, and narcissistic. I accept that this attitude may be due to differences in culture and Hendrik’s inability to present himself adequately to those from a different culture, or it may be due to his innate personality which appears to be arrogant, condescending and narcissistic.

But everyone will draw their own conclusions from their own experiences, which are only "specubation" (inside joke)!

Peace and love, flower power man!

Peace, love, and rock and roll to you too!:)

wtxs
01-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Yes I'm an newbe to posting, but I've been visiting this WC forum almost from the beginning, am very familiar some of the many colorful personalities, although some hasn't been around for awhile. Never jointed in on any blogs, I told myself that I need to jump in to test the water and swim amongst the shark to see for myself what it feels like.

Thank you for the clarification, I'm well aware the post is about Hendrik, his personal traits and his social skills. But when you inject his lack of social skills into quote - "Perhaps he fits well with other Asians' of your post, it does not leave much room for interpretation, never less I get what your are trying to say, and by the way..well said.

I have posted on another thread, Hendrik is smarter than we all give him credit for, he likes to throw things out there and see others fight over it, I'll have to give him a 10 for trolling skill. :p

Scott R. Brown
01-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Thank you for the clarification, I'm well aware the post is about Hendrik, his personal traits and his social skills. But when you inject his lack of social skills into quote - "Perhaps he fits well with other Asians' of your post, it does not leave much room for interpretation, never less I get what your are trying to say, and by the way..well said.

Hi wtxs,

I am still not sure I understand what you mean here? When I said, "Perhaps he fits in well with other Asians", it was meant to be a reference to people of a specific culture being more easily accepted/understood by others who are from that same culture, not the exact racial traits of being Asian. The social/cultural traits of Asians are more familiar to other Asians than they are to non-Asians and therefore may not be considered rude according the their own culture.

My intent was to imply that my assessment of Hendrik's personality traits are possibly do to behaviors that are common and therefore considered normal to Asians among Asians, but considered rude to those from a western culture. This was then intended to imply I understand I could be misinterpreting his behavior which is not meant to be rude even though it appears rude!

I hope I made myself more understandable. :)

wtxs
01-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi wtxs,

I am still not sure I understand what you mean here? When I said, "Perhaps he fits in well with other Asians", it was meant to be a reference to people of a specific culture being more easily accepted/understood by others who are from that same culture, not the exact racial traits of being Asian. The social/cultural traits of Asians are more familiar to other Asians than they are to non-Asians and therefore may not be considered rude according the their own culture.

My intent was to imply that my assessment of Hendrik's personality traits are possibly do to behaviors that are common and therefore considered normal to Asians among Asians, but considered rude to those from a western culture. This was then intended to imply I understand I could be misinterpreting his behavior which is not meant to be rude even though it appears rude!

I hope I made myself more understandable. :)

Thank you sir, that's the answer I was hoping for. I'm sure there are others here some times spouts things that can really jacks our jaws, and we some times quick to respond with that at- the-moment emotion. we're cool. :)

Hendrik
01-28-2010, 04:23 PM
What if I am just a mirror and what you see via my post is your ownself?

Scott R. Brown
01-29-2010, 01:31 AM
What if I am just a mirror and what you see via my post is your ownself?

What if you are full of yourself and everything I said is true? What if you are fooling yourself and can't face the truth about yourself? :eek:

I don't want to go back through the archives Hendrik and bring up your plethora of condescending and idiotic comments, but anyone who wants to take the time and do if for themselves can come to their own conclusion. Why anyone would want to do that though is beyond me.

I am happy to take you as you are! I am not perfect either.:)

Hendrik
01-29-2010, 02:07 AM
What if you are full of yourself and everything I said is true? What if you are fooling yourself and can't face the truth about yourself? :eek:

I don't want to go back through the archives Hendrik and bring up your plethora of condescending and idiotic comments, but anyone who wants to take the time and do if for themselves can come to their own conclusion. Why anyone would want to do that though is beyond me.

I am happy to take you as you are! I am not perfect either.:)

Tell us do you practice WCK's SLT at all? If so who is your sifu? if not what are you here for?

Scott R. Brown
01-29-2010, 02:16 AM
Tell us do you practice WCK's SLT at all? If so who is your sifu? if not what are you here for?

If you were paying attention and reading my posts it would be clear to you why I am here.

Who is your sifu? Do you practice WCK'S SLT at all? What can you tell us about YOUR practice...if not why are YOU here??:confused:

Scott R. Brown
01-29-2010, 02:28 AM
Thank you sir, that's the answer I was hoping for. I'm sure there are others here some times spouts things that can really jacks our jaws, and we some times quick to respond with that at- the-moment emotion. we're cool. :)

Hi wtxs,

I am thankful you gave me the opportunity to make myself more clear. One of the complications with written word communication is that we often think we are saying one thing, but others read something else. We lose facial expressions, word inflections and emotional content when writing so we do not have immediate feed back unless someone takes the time to let us know we are being unclear. I appreciate that you took the time to let me know I was being unclear in my comments.:)

wtxs
01-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Hi wtxs,

I am thankful you gave me the opportunity to make myself more clear. One of the complications with written word communication is that we often think we are saying one thing, but others read something else. We lose facial expressions, word inflections and emotional content when writing so we do not have immediate feed back unless someone takes the time to let us know we are being unclear. I appreciate that you took the time to let me know I was being unclear in my comments.:)

Looking forward to more future interactions.

Roy D. Anthony
02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Siu Lim Tao is the beginning and the end of WC. it is the alpha and omega. Siu Lim Tao is everything WC. It is Chum Kiu, It is Biu Jee. It is Mook Jong , It Is Look Dim Boon Kwan, it is Baat Cham Dao. It only takes someone to realize that.

Enjoy this one!!!

hunt1
02-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Look who's back! Good to see you again Roy. Does this mean you returning or just a fast visit? Will have to start reading Forum on a regular basis again if you are back.

Vajramusti
02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Look who's back! Good to see you again Roy. Does this mean you returning or just a fast visit? Will have to start reading Forum on a regular basis again if you are back.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to see Roy posting again.

Joy Chaudhuri