PDA

View Full Version : jet li "the one"

EARTH DRAGON
11-01-2001, 06:06 AM
Myself and my students of kung fu USA were invited to a private screening of jet li's new movie the one, It was the most faked special effects I have ever seen come out of hollywood, dont get me wrong I like some special effects but not in this feature. It was a cross between the matrix,
timecop and a sci-fi flick with no story line. I was not impressed at to say the least. The best part of the film was when he is fighting himself and used ba gua zhang that part made us cheer, hoop and hollar! The worst part of the flick is at the end where without giving to much away or spoiling it for you movie goers was when he was thrown into prison his last words of the movie were I JU LAW I'M NOBODY'S *****....that was ridiculous and a extremly tacky way to end the movie and out right bad taste.
Dont waste your money, or you will be sorry, leave the 2 thumbs up to the FONZ..........

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

taijiquan_student
11-01-2001, 06:36 AM
Yeah. Our school got an invitation, too, but somehow we only received it at about 8:00, and the show was at 7:00. We were kind of annoyed, but the movie looked kind of ridiculous anyway, so we didn't really care. I'll probably still see it, but I know it'll be stupid.

"Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

joedoe
11-01-2001, 06:40 AM
I like the idea behind the movie. I will see it anyway because generally I enjoy Jet Li movies no matter how sucky.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

taijiquan_student
11-01-2001, 06:55 AM
right on

"Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

shinwa
11-01-2001, 07:06 AM
I think that was the best ending ever lol. So cool.

atsai
11-01-2001, 07:13 AM
Based on the trailer, there're a lot of violatoin of Newton's third law of motion... They should all go to jail for that and be Newton's b!tch. :D

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art Tsai " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

KungFuGuy!
11-01-2001, 07:35 AM
The movie rules. Jet Li owns you all.

Kung Lek
11-01-2001, 09:03 AM
i like the trailer where he hits the guy with the motorcycle. hahahahhahahaha.

it's all fantastic, fantasy...
that's how it is , don't take it so seriously :D

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

soy
11-01-2001, 11:50 AM
Hah yeah, my school got a ton of flyers and a bunch of free passes for an advanced screening airborne expressed to us. We were like wtf? Anyways, hardly anyone wanted to see it.

Kiasyd
11-01-2001, 03:54 PM
You just told the end of new movie, that nobody saw? That´s spoiling!!! ;)

-- Kiasyd

Je Lei Sifu
11-01-2001, 04:01 PM
I thought it was a pretty good movie myself. Well you know what they say about opinions. As far as the special effects, I never pay much attention to them. As a whole, I thought the movie was good, not the best, but good.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu :cool:

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

Brad
11-01-2001, 04:24 PM
I know I'm going to love it allready :D I enjoy the Matrixy computer effects and crazy wire-fu. Personnaly I find "realistic" martial arts movies increadably boring(unless it's Jackie Chan or Jet Li). I don't know if I've ever sat through an entire Bruce Lee movie without falling asleap.

EARTH DRAGON
11-01-2001, 04:56 PM
I didnt really spoil anything just told you what he said at the end of the movie, which doesnt mean anything if you dont know whats going on.

shaolinboxer
11-01-2001, 05:28 PM
I will see any movie this guy makes.

Did you know that for Shaolin Temple (his first film which grossed millions and is a true classic - especially if you want to see some sick wushu) he was paid $0.20/day?

I support Jet Li and Jackie Chan as much as I can, since relative to American martial arts film stars, these guys are underappreciated masters.

And how many times do we have to see talk show interviews where all Jay Leno or Letterman can do is make fun of their English?

There's always a few nifty new moves that make me smile, and every time I buy a ticket I feel like I'm supporting the best in the industry.

Tigerstyle
11-01-2001, 06:48 PM
The movie was great fun to watch, I really enjoyed it! I think the people that were disappointed by "The One" were expecting to see "Shaolin Temple" or "Once Upon a Time In China". I agree with shinwa, the ending couldn't get better than that, lol :D!

I didn't read all of the previous thread, but I wonder if the people ragging on Jet Li for this movie are the same ones that were praising the kung fu in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" as they were flying around and running on trees ;) (I liked that movie too, BTW).

thumper
11-01-2001, 06:54 PM
The effects do look a bit bananas, but the plot is bananas so it's all good. That last line sounds like it's gonna tear the whole theatre up with laughter (where I go to the movies, cats are always making jokes out loud, or dissin the actors, or just plain being drunk and obnoxious...maybe it's all the 40's and blunts). Me and a few heads from my Ba Gua school are definitly seeing it though. It's got Ba Gua !!

"...either you like reincarnation or the smell of carnations..."
- Cannibal Ox

GeneChing
11-02-2001, 01:18 AM
Not bad, but no Matrix. The Xingyi Bagua themes were great, but probably only comprehensible to someone who really knows martial arts. The use of mirrors in the hospital, the elements in the final fight and the manacled xingyi practice in prison were great spins on internal myths, but they were definately too subtle for most. You could tell they were thinking about it, but couldn't convey it. But if you're a martial artist, you can sound really intelligent by bringing up these themes with your non-martial arts friends after you see it. I support any movie that empowers martial artists more. Tell them they have to buy the NOV/DEC 2001 Kungfu Qigong to really understand it.

Still, its always enjoyable to see Jet move, and he shows a lot of range. The fights were wacky and will probably be even better on DVD where you can slow it down. I liked The ONE better than KOTD or RMD, but I would like to see more from a Jet Li movie.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

Design Sifu
11-02-2001, 02:04 AM
The One was an entertaining flick... Not Profound or epic but still rating as a decient Action/Sci-fi movie. The soundtrack could have been stronger and the whole sub-text of the movie could have benifited from the pressance of a Sifu figure for Jet to bounce his experiences & realisations off of.

Kiasyd
11-02-2001, 02:24 AM
Don't worry, Earth Dragon, I was just joking... Sometimes, these smiles doesn't work as we plan. :(

-- Kiasyd

logic
11-02-2001, 02:55 AM
But I'm not going to see it with martial arts in mind.But rather I'm going to see it as a sci-fi flick and judge it that way.

Honest Neutral Clarity

wushu chik
11-02-2001, 04:14 AM
You know...I personally think that ANYTHING Jet Li does is Kick Ass. Just for the reason that he's a great martial artist, not to mention a great actor. But, I just think that people in America don't have the knowledge to know that Jet is GREAT without all the glam...he's just as good IF NOT BETTER without all the special effects, but we as Americans are used to all the special effects and NEED TO SEE IT....

rogue
11-02-2001, 05:01 AM
Anybody catch Iron Monkey? Was it any good?

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' Patton

Ozihn
11-02-2001, 08:05 AM
"The One" had the best ******* soundtrack of the season. I just wish there had been more backround information, like who was that lady with the mouse? Other than that it kicked some major arse.

http://www.tutorialforums.com/images/smilies/New/classic.gif

Vankuen
11-02-2001, 06:03 PM
The story line I thought was allright, I mean, you have a guy who realizes that there's many universes and that in killing one of himselves in an alternate universe, that the energy goes back to the source and spread among them, and so there is the catalyst that starts everything.

The best part to me though, is when he had the bagua and hsing i battle at the end. It marks one of the first times either of those styles are used in a major motion picture...I was pretty proud of the fact I realized everything as far as what was going on underneath so to speak, the theories of a complete circle and yin and yang, and the fact hsing I and bagua were used to show the complimenting opposites.

It definitely wasnt his best, maybe the most expensive...but not the best. I much prefer when he fights without help, no strings and no computer effects. Fist of legend style, and more recently the only thing that came close to that was Kiss of the Dragon...hopefully he will make more like that, and keep things real for us martial artists.

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

cwheelie
11-02-2001, 06:43 PM
Iron Monkey is da bomb... you gotta see it! :D

de ja fu - The feeling that somewhere, somehow you've been kicked in the head like this before.

Silumkid
11-02-2001, 08:31 PM
I DIG THIS MOVIE!

OK, so I am the biggest Jet Li mark there is, but this movie had great fight scenes, made sense (to me)....definitely better than Romeo Must Die but that is like comparing Star Wars to The Dirty Dozen. Different movies.

I guess I am too much "I know what I like when I see it" school! I saw The One and I liked it!

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Shaolindynasty
11-02-2001, 10:42 PM
If you want to see Iron Monkey go to your local Suncoast video and buy it, it's been there for like two years and it's exactly the same as the one in the theater. With the price of going to the theaters it would probally cost the same to :eek: :confused: :p

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

illusionfist
11-02-2001, 11:13 PM
I definitely liked this flick and i found it way more entertaining than RMD. KOD was pretty cool too, although it was your typical action flick, but we all need one of those from time to time. The ending was totally cool too. You have to admit that was pretty funny.

I thought it was pretty cool that they tried to add that little bit of history with the alusion to guo yun shen (i think its guo, not sure) being shackled (ala jet being shackled in jail talking about the distance between two points bit).

Somebody asked earlier about the chick with the mouse. That was Ju Law's squeeze helping him out. I guess it was like the evil version of Gabe Law's wife.

Peace :D

cho
11-03-2001, 12:19 AM
the only good fight was the Jet vs. Jet fight, the rest were just spfx dependent. Gabriel and Yulaw should've had a fight in the middle of the movie or something like that. Other than that, bad acting was everywhere. Without Jet, this movie wouldn't be worth seeing.

EARTH DRAGON
11-03-2001, 06:43 AM
no problem kiasid, I didnt want to give any of the plot away or spoil the movie just wanted to get some feedback from fellow martial artists.

Jimbo
11-03-2001, 06:24 PM
I thought it was going to suck but I actually enjoyed it more than KOD, which was far better than RMD. I just looked at it as entertainment. They even let Jet Li do a little bit more "acting," as well. The guys who wrote it were James Wong and Glenn Morgan, with Wong directing...these guys used to be involved with the earlier X-Files episodes and Millennium.

It was VERY cool how they had Jet fighting himself at the end with Hsing-I vs. Bagua. I just wish they had actually SAID Hsing-I/Bagua instead of only suggesting it subtly. (though most of the emphasis throughout most of the movie was special effects and Jet's love of kicking. The Bagua was shown more clearly in the fights than the Hsing-I, IMO.

And although once again Jet did not even kiss his "wife" (he seems averse to kissing women in films for some reason), as it goes, this movie allowed him to act a little bit more human than any of his other American-made movies so far.

As to the ending, I did not see that as anything offensive or unusual, especially for an action film. Often in these types of films the villain gets the memorable one-liners, and I guess they wanted the end to have some impact. Also to show the difference between the hero's and the villain's fate, that the arrogant villain will have to fight off an endless stream of enemies with no rest in "Hades."
Jim

ansgenius1
11-03-2001, 06:50 PM
Didn't Jet Li say that the one would be his last movie? I think he made that comment on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Can anyone else confirm this?

nobody
11-03-2001, 11:14 PM
i didnt think it was too bad, and NONE OF YOU CAN CONVICE ME OTHERWISE, BECAUSE I AM JUN LAW, AND I AM NOBODY'S B!TCH!! LOL

illusionfist
11-04-2001, 12:32 AM
I dont think its his last movie. He's working on a big budget movie in China right now called Hero. I think its supposed to be a period piece.

Peace :D

The Willow Sword
11-04-2001, 08:15 AM
i give the flick a thumbs up. good fight scenes, neat special effects, and semi cool music. i think we can all agree that it was a spinoff of Matrix and timecop. i liked "Kiss Of the Dragon" Better though,EXCEPT for those cheesy bleach blond f@ck heads in the movie. who are those guys and do they know that they were really ridiculous looking and acting???? well any way thats my say.
many respects, Willow Sword

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
Luke?! Luke?! dont give into hate. That leads to the dark side.
Obi Wan Kenobi,,star wars, empire strikes back.

Jaguar Wong
11-04-2001, 06:24 PM
The ending rocked!! :)
I thought that was a great little addition. The soundtrack was also very fitting for the movie. I don't know if people were expecting more DMX and Jay Z like the other hip-hop driven movies Jet's been making, but I liked the fact that this soundtrack had Drowning Pool, Papa Roach and Disturbed. That really added some attitude to the more "evil" fight scenes.

I still haven't seen KOD, but I did like Romeo Must Die.

BTW, I'm going to go buy some Tricycles this week, and start training to work my way up to wielding motorcycles. ;) I really didn't think they could pull off the special effects, so I was pleasantly suprised. I was very impressed with the last fight. I thought that would just look horrible, because it's not all that easy to have someone convincingly fight himself.

*note*
The above review comes from someone who watches bad martial arts movies (not just for the fight scenes) .... and likes them!

Jaguar Wong

"If you learn to balance a tack hammer on your head
then you learn to head up a balanced attack!"
- The Sphinx

GeneChing
11-04-2001, 06:59 PM
Hero is being directed by Zhang Yimou - onr of China's greatest directors (Raise the Red Lantern, Red Sorghum.) This is his 1st wuxia film and he has a $17 million budget. Also cast are Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi. Maybe it'll be the big on for Jet - he still hasn't had the impact on the west he deserves...

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

Terry Oi Punk
11-04-2001, 07:35 PM
Hello! there, here in manila- The One by Jet li was still to be shown yet on Nov. 7, 2001. I'm a Jet li fan too but I watch his movies and liked them if they make sense... that is according to my barometer (ugh!) I'm not yet a MA student but I do appreciate story lines well... i guiess I'll watch the movie just for curiosity....

Terry pUnK :confused:

PaleDragon
11-04-2001, 08:46 PM
the iron monkey you buy on dvd is better than in the theatre because when you first see wong fei hung and wong kai ying(?) they play the music from once upon a time in china...and thats neat and the theatre version doesnt.

Silumkid
11-04-2001, 08:57 PM
Heard this on the radio this morning:

The One came in at number 2 in the box office topped only by Monsters, Inc. I didn't catch the exact number, but I think they said it brought in about $40 M....pretty darn good, and I think evidence that Jet is quickly becoming a power player here in the West.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

GeneChing
11-06-2001, 07:17 PM
But bad reviews will kill it. Doper and Ebert gave it two strong thumbs down, and Doper (?) made a derogatory comment about Li's English (he obviously hasn't seen OUATIC&A.) I think it'll do ok for a few weeks, but it may soon be over shadowed by Harry Potter. Then, like ROD, it might make a big splash when it goes to video and DVD.
Jet is suffering from the same thing Jackie did when he crossed over - it's really tough for Chinese kungfu stars, even Chow Yun Fat has difficulty. They all have to fight the stereotype wake of Lee. Remember Jackie has been working at breaking the West since The Big Brawl (1980.) Jet hadn't even made Shaolin Temple until 2 years later. He has a lot of dues to pay in the west. But hopefully, with the success of CTHD, his next project Hero will be the "one." I trust Zhang Yimou, he make beautiful films. I personally feel he is China's greatest director now, much more of a powerhouse than Ang Lee. But I'm not sure he can handle Wuxia films. But I'll always watch Jet, and if you add Maggie Cheung, I'm so there. :)

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

gano_b
11-06-2001, 10:20 PM
I'll admit to being a bit of a Jet Li mark, but this was not his most shining moment. I don't fault him, I fault the producers. That movie just wasn't well put together. It felt... well almost cheap, from the opening scene. Jet's acting was fine, although there just wasn't any character development. The movie wasn't long enough to explore any type of real direction. Just bad guy kill good guy... that's all there was to it. Bad guy get mad...now bad guy kill good guy wife...now good guy very peesed off. They could have done wonders with the characters. Jet play's a fantastic badguy. And he is noones beotch!!!

"There is no try...do, or do not."

JerryLove
11-07-2001, 12:09 AM
I loved the movie, I don't know what you are talking about.

"It was the most faked special effects I have ever seen come out of hollywood"

I thought the special effects were excellent. I espically liked the end fight when they slow down the sparks so you know they are in "bullet time" but the Jet Lis are still moving quickly. I thought most of the "superman" effects were done very well.

I would say that you don't get out much if that is the "most faked: you have ever seen. I would suggest anything from the 50s (Reptilicus comes to mind) if you want worse effects, or if you mean "less true-to-life" then how about superman?

"The effects do look a bit bananas, but the plot is bananas so it's all good."

I am not generally a fan of wirework and the like, and the previews made me think that I would be upset by that. But it did really work reasonably in the film. The editing was great (the Li / Li fight is a great example of that), the effects were visually well done, the fightins were dynamic and the music generally good.

"The story line I thought was allright, I mean, you have a guy who realizes that there's many universes and that in killing one of himselves in an alternate universe, that the energy goes back to the source and spread among them, and so there is the catalyst that starts everything."

Don't watch "deep throat" and start worrying on the reality of how orgasams occur. Don't watch a KF action flick and complain that plot is sacrificed for action scenes. There was enough of a premise to make the movie interesting. The opening monolog did a lot to dump us straight in on the action. Charicter development would have been "down time". I think they balanced well.

"I much prefer when he fights without help, no strings and no computer effects."

That seems to be rare from the Li movies I have seen. "Lethal Weapon" comes to mind.

I really didn't like "Kiss of the Dragon" for (among other things) the huge about of "suspension of disbelief" (in the form of ignoring everyone's lack of common sense) I had to employ to watch it. Though I did enjoy the fight in the training room; an excellent example of "this makes no sense" though.

"hopefully he will make more like that, and keep things real for us martial artists."

I hate to bring this up, no fights on movies are realistic and never will be. Real fights are confusing, violent, and difficult to watch. Even fights either look like two kids on the playground or two men spending way too much time hugging. Movies are made for martial-arts fans, not martial artists. The best we can hope-for is getting good artists on camera (Christopher Lee, Ray Park, Jet Li, Steven Segal). And they cannot always act.

http://www.clearsilat.com

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-07-2001, 12:12 AM
i love my job.

i got the one off a friend and am watching it at work now ... i'll let you guys know what i think when its done.

also if anyone is intrested in trading movies sometime let me know by emailing me at abaddon@1st.net.

where's my beer?

Jimbo
11-07-2001, 01:16 AM
Gene:
I think the American movie audience in general, and the movie critics in particular, are reluctant to accept Asian males as stars in American movies, and like to poke fun at the Hong Kong stars' English (you can bet the Americans who do laugh at them would suck at Chinese much worse if the situations were reversed).

Bruce Lee worked hard to try to break the stereotype of the submissively bowing Asian male, but unfortunately ended up creating another stereotype. Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and even non-martial artist Chow Yun Fat have to be compared to that all the time. Asian females in the industry do not have this problem as they are seen as Westernized and are treated as more versatile (look at the easy acceptance of actresses Lucy Liu and Michelle Yeoh), and I'm sure Zhang Ziyi, despite her lack of English, will be brought into all types of Western films opposite any Western actor if she chooses to.

Jet Li needs to cut loose in his movies and not always be a workaholic character on film, let his characters be closer to the women on film and help show more of a real human image. I thought Chow Yun Fat would, but so far no. Jackie Chan sure won't do it.
Jim

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-07-2001, 02:16 AM
wasn't bad ...

as far as a ma flick goes it was typical of jet. i don't like all the wire work, but he's definatley talented.

as far as a sifi/action flick goes it was really decent. definately worth watching.

the only thing is, im not quite sure how it connects with the matrix. i admit that i was watching this at work in between taking calls, and may have missed something big, but i don't get it. wasn't this supposed to be the sequal? how exactly do the stories tie in to eachother. one is about robots taking over and creating a false reality the other is about jumping between dimensions without any evil robots to worry about . ...

where's my beer?

Jaguar Wong
11-07-2001, 03:04 AM
Sequel?

No, the next two Matrix movies are still in production.

Jaguar Wong

- The Sphinx

Jimbo
11-07-2001, 05:57 AM
To my knowledge, critics were only comparing it to The Matrix because of its combination of sci-fi storyline, martial arts and computer effects. I never heard that its story was supposed to tie into The Matrix.
Jim

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-07-2001, 06:26 PM
doh!

i just heard he was gonna be in the matrix2 ... it was called the one . .. im dumb

where's my beer?

Jaguar Wong
11-07-2001, 06:36 PM
Jet Li turned down the Matrix role. I think they wanted him to be a "Super Agent", but I guess he was off making bigger and better movies (The One!?! ;))

Jaguar Wong

- The Sphinx

GeneChing
11-07-2001, 08:10 PM
I agree with you - It's a weird stereotype that asian males have in tv and movies. I tried to address this a little when I wrote a piece on Lee's 60th birthday festivities. Check this link:
http://www.kungfumagazine.com/HomePage/eZine/eZine.htm
There is definately a double standard with asian males and females - I think it is the most evident in the "kiss". Asian leads males usually don't get the big screen kiss if the female lead is non-asian, but asian females are often kissed by non-asian males. Yellow fever is gender specific. Asian males are also not taken as seriously - the females are elevated to "art house" fare, while the males are delegated to b grade action flicks. Chow maybe the only one who can break out of this. It's starting to change. CTHD was such a major breakthrough. I really had hopes that The One would be on the level of Matrix - because that was a breakthrough for martial arts/HK style filmmaking, but not one for asians.
BTW, speaking of movies, you should take a look at our e-Zine, we just posted Dr. Reids article on the influence of HK on the 2001 "blockbsuters" and it's a hilarious read.
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/4_5/2001movies.html

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

KC Elbows
11-07-2001, 08:29 PM
Another problem appears to be Jet's agent, or lack of one. He turns down star wars because his face won't be seen, but there is no more publicity in the world than a star wars movie. He turns down the matrix sequels, which, to my knowledge, are the only movies other than crouching tiger to manage to be kung fu movies and have huge appeal to everyone else. Jet's english isn't bad, but I don't think its at the level where he can judge between a good script and a bad script in english, and it really seems as if his agent is no better. After lethal weapon 4, he had a good amount of momentum in the US, and the Matrix gave him the potential for a huge market, but the movies he's picking are only of any quality because he's a really good martial artist, and because his films are only held up for comparison against other MA films, not a genre that traditionally expects much innovation from its directors. He's gonna lose that momentum very quickly if he doesn't find a blockbuster to get in on, and I think he needs someone around him who can spot a blockbuster, because, decent as these movies are to us, they are not movie making at its best, and Jet deserves better.
Also, I agree that Jet needs to take roles that have more diverse characters.

Gargoyle again
11-07-2001, 09:57 PM
The theatrical Iron Monkey is slightly different than the DVD that I've had at home (and have watched a zillion times).

The biggest difference is the music. The theatre version was redone with the drum-heavy Crouching Tiger style soundtrack (bum ba da dum dum ba da dum da dum...) during the fight scenes.

there is a scene in a courtyard where the doctor is playing a single-stringed mandolin type instrument (don't know what it is called) and the DVD uses the actual instrument's sound (kinda screetchy and warbly). The theatrical version overdub sounded like he was playing a cello :D

There was a scene in the finale where the captain of the guards beheads one of the evil shaolin monks on the DVD. For some reason, the theatrical version edited out the beheading :(

Lastly, the theater version starts and finishes with some text background history and comments, plus a stupid "where are they now" text at the end about the characters. The DVD didn't have any of that

"You should never, never doubt what no one is sure about."
--Willie Wonka

Nutt'nhunny
11-09-2001, 06:11 AM
There is a reason.

He's got to be bigger than the woman. A problem many asians have.

I love to see a 120 lb thai kickboxer pound the **** out of someone. But I have pornos of a 120 lb guy having sex and its not half as pasionate as the kickboxing.

White guys arent much better. Every so often you have a pasionate tuff guy, but that role is better left to the blacks and latinos whose cultures do not deny them of a soul. You need to have a sophisticated animal under a good kiss. Also chinese people don't kiss in public. They are too **** civilized and prudent traditionally. Only ABC's might kiss in public, but its nothing like french people. So unless its Russel Wong its going to be tuff for them culturally. Jackie Chan kissed some girls and it worked. Jackie is the man, Chow is the man, Jet is the superboy

dfedorko@mindspring.com
11-09-2001, 09:59 PM
I must echo the same Earth Dragon. I saw "The One" just last night and I felt that the movie was empty, no substance and no plot. But I did like the Bagua and xingyi. Have a good one.

grounded
11-09-2001, 10:51 PM
I get so sick of people picking on jet li
seriously,
you wanna see "realistic fighting"?
a real fight doesn't look good on screen.
In fact, real fighting can look real dumb (especially for those of you who have been stuck in a clench for 5 with no exchange of blows.... real fighting can be very very boring)
You wanna see proper form and realistic applications of kata? That's even less realistic than a little dude swinging a motorcycle at you.

Alot of the folks who want real fighting would be better off picking a bar fight or watching UFC. And of course, people who want to see formwork in action will always have jet's first movie, "Shaolin Temple".

it's a movie, people
besides, any way you look at it this may be the first time many action film fans have ever gotten the honor of seeing internal martial arts.o

Daelomin
11-10-2001, 12:57 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, another response from an ignorant UFC slave.

Rory
11-11-2001, 06:06 AM
Yeah i saw the movie 2 nights ago. i was bitterly disapointed. the best part was in the begining that 30 seconds were the good ones practicing his bagua and the bad one is practicing his shing-i. I like quite a few of jet's movies ex. Last hero in china, taichi master, new legend of shaolin, swordsman 2. but this was nothing compared to those. you know i dont go see a movie with jet li in it to have a good plot i go and see it to watch him do his kung fu i dont go to a kung fu movie to watch the stunts unless it somehow involes kung fu. i'm sick and tired of all these crappy holly wood movies trying to be like hk movies. most of jet's movies dont have an indept plot wich is fine it doesnt need to its just as good but when he does one in america they add in all depth and plot. what they dont realize is that you dont need those elements to make a good kung fu movie maybe a drama but not a kung fu movie. but remember you'll laugh youll cry youll kiss 9 bucks good bye

grounded
11-11-2001, 08:13 AM
Daelomin, you miss my whole point. ALl movies these days are lackluster. My favorite action entertainment is Shaw Brothers. Many people who complain about new HK cinema would rather watch ANY Gordon Liu flick, or at least Jet Li "period" movies. I was simply proposing that folks unhappy with current cinema trends might be better off watching something else. I mean, come on; remember Leathal Weapon 4? Fist of legend was probably the most recent main stream KF film I've seen that wouldn't **** off most martial artists. At least Jet Li doesn't run up any trees in "the one"..... :D t