PDA

View Full Version : Northern Mantis & Fighting

Kiasyd
11-04-2001, 04:22 PM
Hi everyone!

Watching all the argument that goes on and on at the main forum about Kung Fu / striking / grappling effectiveness, I wondered if anyone here, is a experienced Northern Praying Mantis fighter, and used it on a real situation (or almost real ;) ) against a grappler. It works fine? It must be adapted?

I'm asking this, since I'm a newbie at my training, and thought that you people probably could share some experience :)

-- Kiasyd

mantis108
11-04-2001, 08:30 PM
First and formost, I am not a fighter (at least not professional as in those NHB folks like). But to fight with Mantis (TCPM), that I do with people (most become my students).

What do people see in my way of fighting or rather my interpretation of TCPM?

They see striking (hand strikes), Kicking, Throwing, Chin Na (stand up grappling) and Ground Grappling (not extensive but sufficient enough to handle myself on the ground). Above all they see, the free flow of these combat elements in a progressive indirect attack approach, there are direct attack also, that has a rhythm and finesse. In other words, it is no brawling like the martial sports that is so "effective" in many people's eyes. People come to me for an art in combative form not how to become the Alpha Male (for that they will have to seek some other animal trainers). The problem with CMA strikers not doing so well in grappling situations aren't really about techniques. Mantis (primarily striking styles) has all the essential techs. to handle any situations, IMHO. Be it stand up game or ground game, with slight adjustment(s) the techs will work beautifully. The problem is really with the will to prevail and the awarness of the changing climate (during combat). This is where most of the training in CMA failed today (mostly happen in waterdown Mckwoons which can't even tell Kung Fu, WuShu and Karate apart).

Nowadays people tend to believe that Ground Grappling is an entirely different animal and is head and shoulder above everything else. Well, I am sorry that's just not true. It's all the same about LEVERAGE and paying attention to DETAILS. Most people loose because they play the game the others want them to play. There is no "will" to stand (pun intended) as their own. Without the will there is no way. That's my rant.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

Metallica
11-04-2001, 10:25 PM
Kiasyd,

It is always common to question or being curious about the effectiveness of a system against other systems. This is very normal and understandable.

Nevertheless, I think it is more important spending time practicing and learning under the guidance of a good teacher rather than spending time thinking about the effectiveness of your chosen system against other systems. Remember, to progress, you need to have faith in 3 things, they are faith in yourself, your teacher and your system's many generations of ancestors who had spent countless of hours polishing and improving their skills. However, I advise against blind faith. So, it is not wrong to ask questions about how to deal with different kind of attacks, but if you follow a proper training progression, you should be able to defend against yourself.

As illustrated by Mantis108, I would like to add that Traditional Chinese Martial Arts consist of various arsenals and can be summarized using the 4 descriptions, kicks; strikes; trip/throws; and locks/holds. It is imperative for us to bear in mind that the art of Shuai Jiao is known as the oldest form of fighting in China, which is why it is very short sighted for the modern generations practitioners to make comments such as so and so kung fu system does not teach you to deal with certain kind of attacks. They do, but be patience, if you are not taught certain skills, it is probably due to the fact that you are not ready, mentally and physically or who knows, the teacher was not well taught. There is always such a probability.

So good luck in your kung fu journey. All the best!

;)

Best Wishes,

Integraman

EARTH DRAGON
11-04-2001, 11:40 PM
Nice response metallica, kind and informative!
I would just like to add that the idea of BJJ being the only grappling that is effecive is a big misconception. The whole gracie thing started with the UFC before that no one even heard of it, much less found it to be effective. After the style won some UFC bouts everyone thinks is the ultimate grappling style. Most kung fu has ground fighting in it, however it was never a issue becuse it usaully was held for higher ranks and when your at that level you usually finshed off your opponent before you hads to fight from a fallen postion. And remember BJJ came from japanese arts which came from china so remember the mother or root arts are all chinese.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Kiasyd
11-05-2001, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone for these kind answers!

You see, I asked this not because I questioned the effectiveness of the system, quite the opposite, in fact, I am a great admirerer of the PM system and I saw my sifu and sihings perform / demonstrate applications. I've seen what they are capable of.

I just wondered if others praticioners of the style tried it on the context I mentioned earlier, since grappling is the "new wave" nowdays.

The focus that my school uses is perfectly ilustrated by mantis108 in his previous post, I just wondered if someone else's approach would be different.

BTW, I am a Metallica fan :D

-- Kiasyd