PDA

View Full Version : Rice Burners?

kfson
01-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Why do all these young guys driving rice burners, hondas, acuras, subarus, mazdas... always beat the doodoo out of their cars (body sheet metal). There is always some young rice burner driving down the highway as I go to work with a bumper or fender about to fall off.

And what's with the huge whale tails?

Dragonzbane76
01-25-2010, 09:01 AM
that one ranks right up there with "what is the meaning of life" and "is there a god"? yeah the unknown.... somethings we were not meant to know.

Kevin73
01-25-2010, 09:28 AM
My guess is that they are trying to go "drifting" and they suck at it and run into other objects.

I see alot of kids put the stuff on their car and have no clue as to how to drive it and then try to go all "Fast and the Furious" with it and mess it up.

1bad65
01-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Their cars are all banged up because they are idiots.

I've been into cars since before I could drive. These ricers are the biggest group of morons I've ever seen. Always showing off by driving stupid, laying rubber in parking lots, darting through traffic, doing ricer fly-bys, etc. And they think are impressing people by driving a 150hp car like that. One of our local car meets (sometimes over 100 cars) got shut down becuase two ricers were doing donuts in the parking lot and crashed into each other! Although it was funny, those idiots ruined a good thing. I've noticed that besides the occasional knucklehead, most guys who drive real cars don't act like that, because they know they have nothing to prove.

kfson
01-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Their cars are all banged up because they are idiots.

I've been into cars since before I could drive. These ricers are the biggest group of morons I've ever seen. Always showing off by driving stupid, laying rubber in parking lots, darting through traffic, doing ricer fly-bys, etc. And they think are impressing people by driving a 150hp car like that. One of our local car meets (sometimes over 100 cars) got shut down becuase two ricers were doing donuts in the parking lot and crashed into each other! Although it was funny, those idiots ruined a good thing. I've noticed that besides the occasional knucklehead, most guys who drive real cars don't act like that, because they know they have nothing to prove.

So the body damage is intentional?

1bad65
01-25-2010, 10:39 AM
So the body damage is intentional?

No. They were caused by accidents. But the accidents were caused by stupidity in many cases.

The ridiculous whale tales and spoilers were done on purpose though. Why you put a huge wing on the trunk of a front wheel drive car is beyond me. I saw a shirt once that said "Stupid ricer...useless wings are for penguins". I about died laughing.

Dragonzbane76
01-25-2010, 04:56 PM
I like the huge exhaustes that sound like a weedeater and the big fin on the back of the car. They think it makes them go faster. To much tokio drift. :)

TenTigers
01-26-2010, 12:59 AM
I've noticed that besides the occasional knucklehead, most guys who drive real cars don't act like that, because they know they have nothing to prove.

what was your REAL CAR?

When I was in my twenties, I drove a '69 AMX

1bad65
01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
what was your REAL CAR?

A real car is a car built for speed. Muscle cars, pony cars, even some imports (like the Supra and Z cars). A car that has 135hp stock is not a 'real car' in terms of racing.

Keep in mind I'm talking about cars people race, not cars in general.

There are imports out there that will embarrass my car, but it will likely never lose to a ricer.

I bet you loved that AMX. In my 20s I drove a 65 Mustang, and later bought a Jeep for a daily driver. I currently drive a 2007 Mustang, with a few mods. :D

kfson
01-26-2010, 09:03 AM
what was your REAL CAR?

That's a real car... what 390?

kfson
01-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Bob Norwood, who works on my custom fuel injection system (AMC 304), turbo chargers some rice burners:

http://www.bobnorwood.com/The%20Fastest%20Little%20Sports%20Car%20in%20Utah. htm

http://www.bobnorwood.com/Index.htm

TenTigers
01-26-2010, 09:58 AM
That's a real car... what 390?
I wish-My friend had the 390, another friend had the 290,I had the 343-which in that little car was still fast as sh1t-especially in the low end. Although the speedo went to 140-I never had it pinned. I think the fastest I ever took it was 135 mph.
We started a "fad" in my area-there were about five AMX's in my neighborhood, three of them were in the same family-two brothers and a sister-all had AMX's.
There was in the neighboring town, a guy who made quite a name for himself locally. He had a set-up 390 AMX called, "Hemi-Hunter."
For such a rare car, it was surprising to see so many in one area.
If I ever win the lottery, I will have one again. I still get all misty whenever I see one...(sniff) she was the one that got away....
believe it or not, I still have dreams about her.

David Jamieson
01-26-2010, 10:09 AM
young men without identity + bad movie filled with clichés that happens to be about small japanese cars modified for street racing = answer to your question

If anyone tells you that youth is unaffected by movies and video games, slap them, they are stupid and deserve it for being stupid.

having said all that, I need to add this disclaimer:

If at 20 you aren't liberal minded, then you have no heart. If at 40 you are not conservative minded, then you have no brain.

This says a lot about the progressive experience of life itself. :)

kfson
01-26-2010, 10:24 AM
young men without identity + bad movie filled with clichés that happens to be about small japanese cars modified for street racing = answer to your question

If anyone tells you that youth is unaffected by movies and video games, slap them, they are stupid and deserve it for being stupid.

having said all that, I need to add this disclaimer:

If at 20 you aren't liberal minded, then you have no heart. If at 40 you are not conservative minded, then you have no brain.

This says a lot about the progressive experience of life itself. :)

That would be a good start for a new thread.
Was there a significant experience in your life that changed you from a liberal to a conservative? And if no change, why the hail not?

1bad65
01-26-2010, 10:57 AM
That would be a good start for a new thread.
Was there a significant experience in your life that changed you from a liberal to a conservative? And if no change, why the hail not?

When you are young, you don't make much money and you are idealistic. You think the rich are an endless source of revenue for the poor. So you are usually liberal. As you get older, you get a job, a family, and have bills to pay. You see how much the government takes from you, and you know you are not rich. So you usually become more conservative.

David Jamieson
01-26-2010, 02:45 PM
When you are young, you don't make much money and you are idealistic. You think the rich are an endless source of revenue for the poor. So you are usually liberal. As you get older, you get a job, a family, and have bills to pay. You see how much the government takes from you, and you know you are not rich. So you usually become more conservative.

more or less.

essentially, your passage through life changes your views as you go.

some views stay the same, others change a little and others still do a complete reversal.

mostly you wake up to bitter realities and your innocence and naive ways are washed away and replaced with principled intentions.

Unless you become hateful of humanity, then you objectify everyone and go beyond cold. I've seen that happen with some people. Sad.

1bad65
01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
more or less.

essentially, your passage through life changes your views as you go.

some views stay the same, others change a little and others still do a complete reversal.

mostly you wake up to bitter realities and your innocence and naive ways are washed away and replaced with principled intentions.

Unless you become hateful of humanity, then you objectify everyone and go beyond cold. I've seen that happen with some people. Sad.

This does make alot of sense. David, that was very well put. It really was.

I'm not hateful of humanity, but I'm very skeptical/wary of it. The main reason being that through time, almost every murderous dictator was installed by humanity. And some were installed through the democratic process. :eek:

That saying 'Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups' kind of describes my feelings/fears concerning humanity.