PDA

View Full Version : Employment In The US

BoulderDawg
01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
This is a problem that's only going to get worse.

When I was an undergraduate I pulled a mini shift at a local cotton mill. I was talking to my boss one night (A guy that had been there over 40 years) about the old days. After the WW2 2,800 people worked in that mill. At the time I was there technology had advanced enough so that only 250 people were needed.......

It's a trend folks. One does not need to be a genius to recognize that advances in technology means a smaller labor pool while the population continues to rise.

Figure out a solution to that and you will be a god in this country!

Drake
01-28-2010, 11:31 AM

When I was an undergraduate I pulled a mini shift at a local cotton mill. I was talking to my boss one night (A guy that had been there over 40 years) about the old days. After the WW2 2,800 people worked in that mill. At the time I was there technology had advanced enough so that only 250 people were needed.......

It's a trend folks. One does not need to be a genius to recognize that advances in technology means a smaller labor pool while the population continues to rise.

Figure out a solution to that and you will be a god in this country!

It's already been figured out. Try reading some books.

1bad65
01-28-2010, 11:39 AM
For someone who hinted I was a threat to the President because of my beliefs, you sure sound alot like the Unibomber.

dimethylsea
01-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Obviously we need to develop new industries that employ people.

Alternative energy is a good one. Structuring the healthcare system so it employs more people rather than less (via the profit mechanism of increasing profits by denying care and cutting staff) would be a good start.

My personal belief has always been we should be trying to make nuclear power and aerospace the engines of "heavy industry" in our economy.

Both of these things require substantial government involvement if they are to be safe enough to be acceptable to the present population.

We need to be in LEO (low earth orbit) in force, with a workforce of hundreds of thousands. It's not about "colonizing Mars".. it's about any young American who can and will work their ass off having a job guaranteed that will secure their future.

Solar facility construction, semi-conductors and all kinds of "heavy iron" and materials engineering become vastly easier in micro-gravity.

We should be turning the "Lower 52" into a retirement home/national park/where you keep the little ones and the elders... and send the breadwinners to the "High Frontier".

People get hung up on "virtual this" and "e-commerce that". And that's fine. But do you realize that one medium-sized asteroid has more metal (and good stuff, iron, nickel, gold, silver, rare earth elements) than the entire historical production of the mines in all of human reckoning?

We need to be going to get that in force. American, Indian, Russian, Chinese, Euro.. it doesn't matter. There is plenty for everyone. The resources to build paradise are right out there beyond LEO.. and getting those resources will provide jobs for everyone who is willing to work.

I think this is the sort of thing conservatives AND liberal can agree on.

1bad65
01-28-2010, 11:40 AM

I agree with you there. And if Obama passes Tax and Kill, ie Cap and Trade, we may see it hit 15%. :eek:

Drake
01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Remarkable how many expert economists we have on a martial arts site :)

BoulderDawg
01-28-2010, 12:46 PM

I see no comments here (even from the conservative side) that suggest someone is trying to make out to be an expert in economics. We all have opinions and this is a board to express them on. If you don't like it then don't participate.

dimethylsea
01-28-2010, 12:56 PM

Excuse me.. I was talking like a sci-fi geek Drake.

That's not an economist.. that's a "eyes to the sky" dreamer.

:D