PDA

View Full Version : Too Tall for Kung-Fu?

DragonSeeksPath
01-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey guys. I've always wanted to know this. I'm about 6'5, or 6'6''--last time I checked and a little slim. Will my height become a hindrance to Hung-Gar? There's a Kung-Fu school way out from where I live in South Carolina. Some of the guys I've seen are a bit shorter and might make it hard for me to spar them. Any thoughts?

Lucas
01-29-2010, 02:17 PM
crush them like ants!

Xiao3 Meng4
01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Just find some MAists that are as big as or bigger than you and spar them whenever you can.

I have a friend the same height as you who went pretty far in Shotokan before switching to Xing Yi/Chen/Ba Gua.

The only problem I see is not having anyone your size to spar with. I'm 6'2, and that's already tall enough that I have an automatic reach advantage on most people. Sounds fun, but I had a rude awakening the first time I sparred my 6'5 friend. I finally knew what it felt like to be the little guy in a fight. It really helped me though, I learned a lot.

xcakid
01-29-2010, 03:26 PM
The only problem I see is not having anyone your size to spar with.

Yeah that could be frustrating. Its like an adult sparring a 5 yr old as far height disparity is concerned.

rogerclf1
01-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Don't worry about it. It will be just as much a good learning experience for them as it will be for you. Out on the street somebody might have an altercation with someone as tall as you. Happy training!

DragonSeeksPath
01-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. The only thing I'm worried about now is the uniforms and stretching, lol.

zerojjc
01-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Hey guys. I've always wanted to know this. I'm about 6'5, or 6'6''--last time I checked and a little slim. Will my height become a hindrance to Hung-Gar? There's a Kung-Fu school way out from where I live in South Carolina. Some of the guys I've seen are a bit shorter and might make it hard for me to spar them. Any thoughts?

Being tall shouldnt matter in your kung fu, because no matter what style you learn you have to adapt it to your size and strengths. And even when you do spar with shorter people it is a good thing for both of you because you will each have different heights, strengths, speeds, etc to work with and overcome. If anyone tells you that you are too big, or too small even, for that art then they are not very knowledgable. Kung fu is for everyone. In the real world you never know if the attacker wil be twice your size or half your size, so training those ways is a benefit. Im 6'2" 160 lbs myself and have trained with people taller than me, people twice my weight, and even women a foot shorter than me. I apply my techniques to that specific person, whether im lifting an arm higher, lowering it, able to take there force, or having to change position so that their force doesnt overwhelm me.;)

bawang
01-29-2010, 05:58 PM
most southern kung fu is designed for short stocky people but it dooesnt matter. if u like southern kung fu go learn it. the most important thing isnt style its metting ppls u like and train hard

Lucas
01-29-2010, 06:04 PM
they'll get a uniform to fit you for sure, comes in all shapes and sizes, also you'll go through the same thing in stretching as everyone else, just depends on how limber you are presently.

Tid Sin
01-29-2010, 09:38 PM
I think I understand what you're getting at. There are conceived notions of ideal body-types for certain activities.

Stereotypically, basketball players are ideally lean and over 6'. BJJ players ideally have longer limbs. Gymnasts are ideally under 5'6". Linebackers are not Wide Receivers for a reason. Sumo wrestlers.....well, that's another thing altogether lol

Still, those perceptions should not and do not stop a lot of people from engaging in those arts or sports. For competitive or professional reasons, the ideals tend to dictate who advance according to those purposes. However, for the amateur or recreationist, it shouldn't matter as long as you enjoy doing what you do.

If you were to ask me to suggest to you some ideal martial arts based on your physical stature, I would probably mention Tae Kwon Do (advantageous kicking reach), kickboxing (once again, the reach advantage), weaponry (Filipino martial arts, once again threatening with long arms & blades attached to them) and Brazilian Jiujitsu (for those python-like maneuvers). But that doesn't mean that you can't do other martial arts!

Go with your interest. If you take something half-heartedly, even though it may ideally suit your build, you won't likely progress and you'll quit eventually. If you won't enjoy it, you won't excel at it.

If you like Hung Gar, then go for it! Make it work for you. Adapt according to your opponent. Perhaps I'm biased, as I've been practicing Hung Gar for over 30 years. Why that long? Because I enjoy it. I'm sure you will, too ;)

Realistically, though, try it out first. You may end up deciding that it may not be for you for whatever reason. Be it Hung Gar or any other form of martial art, there is something waiting for you out there that you will enjoy immensely.

Good luck & try not to be self-conscious about those trivial ideas. Get out there and just do it :)

goju
01-30-2010, 12:07 AM
i feel my build and frame arent especially suited to kung fu especially the arts id like to learn like hung gar

however for some reason i have found for me and others than karate or tkd is good for taller folks

punchdrunk
01-30-2010, 04:26 AM
go for it, I guarantee you'll enjoy it on some level. Anyone with experience enjoys getting to work with new big guys, your strength and reach can be a fun challenge. So long as the older students are confident in their abilitites they should all want to work a lot with you and you'll get expereince at a much faster rate than the average student. Don't let others notions of style and build matches distract you, just find out for yourself. Good luck and have fun.

uki
01-30-2010, 07:19 AM
being tall is an excellent advantage... a great way to train is in the condensed/sulking posture - this allows another added dimension to explosive action... crane, tiger, and dragon styles seem to be best suited for tall folks. :)

Violent Designs
07-09-2011, 12:00 PM
most southern kung fu is designed for short stocky people but it dooesnt matter. if u like southern kung fu go learn it. the most important thing isnt style its metting ppls u like and train hard

where is bawang and what have u done with him.

aussie1981
07-09-2011, 06:53 PM
You'll have a real advantage when sparring but other than that you'll be sweet, enjoyment is they key I suppose.

ShortBridge
07-09-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't know about that, but I'm too sexy for my shirt.

SPJ
07-10-2011, 06:29 AM
both guan gong

and chu ba wang: xiang yu

both are tall and strong.

one may wield a heavy guan dao.

the other may lift a heavy ding or ba wang jiu ding.

---

GeneChing
07-11-2011, 10:26 AM
...you won't be able to find shoes in your size. We only carry Feiyues (http://www.martialartsmart.com/shoes-feiyue-shoes.html) to 47 (12.5). Tiger Claw shoes (http://www.martialartsmart.com/90-200.html) go to 13. I have a few XXXL buddies who always complain that they can't find shoes.

Most uniforms go to size 8 (see Black interloop (http://www.martialartsmart.com/11-13rt.html)) which accommodates someone at 6' 5" but it will be baggy as they are cut pretty wide. You can get that taken in or let out at any seamstress place however. Or just make do with black sweats.

Scott R. Brown
07-11-2011, 10:33 AM
How tall was Kareem abdul Jabbar?

HumbleWCGuy
07-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Size doesn't matter unless you want to do something that is super specialized. Some of the more artsy brands of animal kung fu might be difficult.

Being a big guy myself, there is a tendency of average-sized guys trying to impose their standards on you. For example, I have seen boxing coaches who would require a 260 lb man to work at the same pace as the 130 lb. guys. It just doesn't work. Now you don't want to be held to a low standard, but the instructor should understand that you are different.

A good instructor should also understand at your body type affords you particular strengths and weakness. They should be able to teach to that. If not, I would go elsewhere.

David Jamieson
07-11-2011, 10:50 AM
8 or 9 feet tall is too tall for kung fu.

but as you are only 6.5 or so, no big deal.

why would you think you're too tall to learn how to defend yourself and give someone a drubbing?

you don't think tallness automatically makes you need to use one way of doling out violence over another do you?

you can do what you like, it's a martial art. Not rocket science, not special, requires no special thinking but does require determination and training of the body.

Fighting is very simple. When people try to complicate it too much, they are lying to you and just trying to get your money or your loyalty or some stupid desire of theirs.

If someone presents you with a path, take it! Especially if you don't know where to go to begin with. :)

Fighting. It's for all shapes and sizes! :p

GeneChing
07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
How tall was Kareem abdul Jabbar?
Height: 7-2 ▪ Weight: 225 lbs (NBA stats (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/abdulka01.html))

Lee Chiang Po
07-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Look what being tall did for Steven Segal. You can stay out of their effective range and pound them down. You should own the kwoon.

bawang
07-11-2011, 01:54 PM
crush them. they will be like gnats before you.

Violent Designs
07-11-2011, 04:05 PM
crush them. they will be like gnats before you.

hi bawang welcome back