PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Master Cheuk Fung on Yi Chuan

yichuan
01-29-2010, 03:52 PM
We recently updated www.yichuankungfu.com with a detailed interview of Master Cheuk Fung and new video clips.

Short demo clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJKg3QkUngE
Channel on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CFkungfu

-Steve

yichuan
02-21-2010, 02:12 PM
from: http://www.yichuankungfu.com/cheuk-fung/background/

Student: How did you first get involved in Yi Chuan?
Master Fung: Through a mutual friend I was introduced to Master Tang Er Quan, a wealthy businessman with a passion for Martial Arts who was a student of Yi Chuan's founder, Master Wang Sheng Chai. Master Tang took time out of his busy schedule to teach a small group the Jam Jong, sensing strength and stepping methods of Yi Chuan.

Student: This was in Hong Kong?
Master Fung: Yes, about 1963. Master Tang taught us very directly. His time was valuable and he wanted us to get the most out of it. When he was in town a group of us would get together, get a few tips and pointers then go to yum cha (lunch or dim sum) to discuss what we learned. At that point I had been studying Gung Fu for many years so this way of learning was very effective for me.

Student: What other styles did you study before Yi Chuan?
Master Fung: Primarily Hop Gar. As a child I was very fortunate to be accepted as a direct disciple in the Poon Kam lineage of Hop Gar. My teacher, after many years, encouraged me to investigate and study other martial arts in order to continue unfolding what I learned from him. So investigating arts like Yi Chuan was originally an extension of my Hop Gar training.

Student: Was Master Tang your only Yi Chuan teacher?
Master Fung: No, I have learned Yi Chuan from several other teachers, thanks to Master Tang igniting my interest in Yi Chuan.

Student: Who else have you learned Yi Chuan from?
Master Fung: In 1975 I became a student of Master Han Sing Hwan who taught me both in San Francisco and Hong Kong. Master Han was considered one of the top students of Master Wang and was famous for his fighting ability. In the early 1980's I further studied with Professor Peng-Si Yu and his wife Madam Yu. Professor Yu was considered another top student of Master Wang and known for his abilities with energy. Both Professor and Madam Yu were both gracious enough to share their knowledge and understanding with me.

Student: How did you get involved with Mok Gar?
Master Fung: In 1965 I was introduced to Grandmaster Tsui Yiu Cheung, top student of both Grandmasters Lum Yiu Kwai of Dragon Style (Lung Ying) and Lum Yum Tong of Mok Gar and was lucky enough to be accepted as a disciple. From him I learned both Mok Gar and Dragon Style. Master Tsui was also known as the Mute Knight as he was both deaf and mute as result of a childhood sickness.

Student: Didn't that make learning from him especially difficult?
Master Fung: You would think so, but no. He was an exceptional practitioner and gifted as a teacher. Through signs, gestures and touch he would get his point across, sometimes the easy way and sometimes the hard way. On the other hand, some things were more challenging . . . like getting him to answer the door! The point is that learning martial arts is a very physical process, too much intellectualizing is not necessary.

Student: What other styles have influenced your Gung Fu?
Master Fung: Tong Bei and Tai Ji Chuan have had some influence. I often use routes or exercises from these arts to enhance our core methods. Over the years I've visited with and paid respects to many famous martial arts teachers and practitioners, picking up theories and methods that have helped me further my understanding. In particular Master Han Sing Chio, older brother to Master Han Sing Hwan who is also renown and respected in the martial arts community, was very kind in his willingness to share his knowledge with me.

Student: Have any other teachers influenced you?
Master Fung: Yes. For many years I have studied Esoteric Buddhism and its practices and principles have interwoven themselves into my approach. My primary teacher, the Venerable Dharma Master Yuen Hung guided me for many years as his disciple. Also, the Venerable Dharma Master Hsuan Hua's (founder of the City of 10,000 Buddhas) teachings and guidance have greatly influenced my personal cultivation and understanding.

mawali
02-21-2010, 07:51 PM
We recently updated www.yichuankungfu.com with a detailed interview of Master Cheuk Fung and new video clips.

-Steve
I am highly skeptical of the above clip because of the following:
1. It is only the teacher who exhibits said skill
2. He, as a rule, has not and will have no students to possess or pass on the alleged skill
3. Most teachers of that calibre are incapable of documenting the stage at which this skill emerges.

I do believe in the health and wellness potential of yiquan/dachangquan and it is especially great for digestive conditions:

YIQUAN FOR DIGESTIVE AILMENTS
1. For yiquan to help with digestion problems, said problems must be mild to moderate and not needing medical intervention.
2. Adjust nutrition per dietary professional
3. Start with yiquan for 30 days. Afer that time period, results will be seen to alleviate any lower abdominal problem. Individual must change sedentary lifestyle and incorporate physical activity into his/her worldview

If one were to seek a similar strategy in accessing the qigong/yiquan technology of repulsing opponents as above, there is no one in hell who can document it in an objective manner. It is a great parlour trick for the many and the few (with some skill) would not care to divulge said secrets.

kfson
02-22-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.chinavoc.com/kungfu/schools/cata_yi.asp

"Yi Quan or the mentality Chuan, also called Da cheng Quan, was created by Wang Xiangzhai during the reign of Emperor Guangxu (1875-1908) of the Qing Dynasty. Wang (1885-1963) was born in Shenxian County in Hebei Province. From a young age, he followed Xingyi Quan master, Guo Yunshen to learn the art. After years of hard practice, Wang mastered the art of Xingyi Quan, got its gist, and ventured off the track to create Yi Quan by absorbing the suppleness of Tai Chi Quan, and the agility of Bagua Zhang.

Changquan Basic Skill for kids
The Single Hand Exercise and Pushing Hands
Yi Quan centers on standing stances and uses the mind to guide the movements and actions in order to achieve the coordination and cooperation between the mind, the body and the external world. It stresses the development of energy and potential of the human body. The mentality boxers believe that looseness and tightness form the basic contradiction of the movements of the human body. The physical qualities-power, speed, agility, coordination and endurance-are all conditioned by the looseness and tightness of the muscles. Yi Quan, therefore, is intended to solve the question of how to correctly control and use looseness and tightness through practice. When we talk of looseness or tightness, we talk not only of loose or tight muscles but also of a loose or tight mind. The latter is in fact more significant. Therefore, this style of Chuan came to be called the mentality Chuan (Yi Quan).

The major features of mentality Chuan lie in the fact that it does not have fixed routines and that it stresses mental function. It requires relaxation, concentration and calmness-its movements are like running water, while its standstills are like floating air. It passes explosive forces throughout the body. Mentality boxers do not expose their bodies to the attacks of the opponent during a fight, nor do they display their thoughts. They seldom generate power but when they do they do it completely and thoroughly and often benefit from the force of the opponent .

Yi quan , also known as dacheng quan, is a martial art system which was founded by the Chinese xingyiquan master, Wang Xiangzhai (王薌齋)."

taai gihk yahn
02-22-2010, 10:18 AM

-Steve

hep me, hep me, I be hypmotized!

Scott R. Brown
02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
hep me, hep me, I be hypmotized!

Yooooooou wiiiiiiiillllllllll seeeeeeeeennnnnnddddd meeeeeee yourrrrrrrr neeeeeeeeeexxxttttt paaaaaayyyyyycheeeeeeeeck!!!!!!!

Yooooooou wiiiiiiiillllllllll seeeeeeeeennnnnnddddd meeeeeee yourrrrrrrr neeeeeeeeeexxxttttt paaaaaayyyyyycheeeeeeeeck!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAnnnnddddd yourrrrrrrr SSSSSSSSstaaaaarrrr Raaaaaaaannnnnggggeeerrrrr deeeeeeeccccoooooooderrrrrrrr riiiiiiinnnnnngggggg!!!!

Then do the funky chicken until dinner time!!!!!!:p

yichuan
03-24-2010, 09:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJvWqSWhVw&feature=player_embedded#

sanjuro_ronin
03-24-2010, 09:49 AM

-Steve

What exactly are we supposed to be seeing here?
Theater?

Water-quan
03-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Yiquan is a lot like other martial arts in that it attracts some frauds who want to boost their reputation by associating themselves with it, but who don't actually want to develop any real skill - so they just put out this kind of fraud and hope to drag a few silly billies in to believing it. After all, if this kind of thing was real it would mean you didn't have to do real, hard training.

Over on Empty Flower and RSF a couple of people who spent years talking about how hard core and fight oriented their yiquan was suffered some pretty serious credibility loss when it becamse clear that THIS was the yiquan school they were associated with. As always, the response has been to threaten others by saying that if we don't stop laughing, they could kick our arse... and if we don't believe it, we'd better get over to this school and laugh at this master and see what happens!

Unfortunately - or fortunately - like all bullies, once the cat is out of the bag that they can't really fight at all, threatening people in to not laughing at you is about as useful as peeing on a house fire.

CFT
03-25-2010, 05:12 AM
Interesting Bullshido thread from 5 years ago: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26578

kfson
03-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Interesting Bullshido thread from 5 years ago: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26578

Wow, a different crew frequents that website.

sanjuro_ronin
03-25-2010, 07:10 AM
It's crap like this that gives ALL TCMA a bad name.
I mean, the acting wasn't even very good !

Scott R. Brown
03-25-2010, 07:33 AM
It's crap like this that gives ALL TCMA a bad name.
I mean, the acting wasn't even very good !

I am sure some pictures of nice ladies would make us all fee better about it though!;)

sanjuro_ronin
03-25-2010, 07:45 AM
I am sure some pictures of nice ladies would make us all fee better about it though!;)

http://img.visualizeus.com/thumbs/09/05/01/beach,girl,sexy,tattoo,tattoo,design,tattoos,tatto o-d89a8c9176b111542a66e9a92b0f1454_h.jpg

extrajoseph
03-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Only one picture? There are two of them, the other ones wants to be hypnotized and feel better as well. :D

chusauli
03-25-2010, 04:49 PM
I need more pictures of scantily clad ladies to make up for my looking at this site. Paul? Please deliver...

He has all the abilities and training theory. And he has rudimentary ability in application and push hands...maybe he's just not gotten to the final level to make it all work? His students' overexaggeration is not helping his sense of reality. He has the set up, but the Fa Jing part cannot be done in the manner shown.

Hendrik
03-25-2010, 11:54 PM
If one were to seek a similar strategy in accessing the qigong/yiquan technology of repulsing opponents as above, there is no one in hell who can document it in an objective manner. It is a great parlour trick for the many and the few (with some skill) would not care to divulge said secrets.

In my limited experience with Yiquan.

1, Qigong which most think and Yiquan technology are very different thing. Mix Yiquan up with Taiji...qigong or even hard qigong is totally misleading.

2, In Yiquan one dont talk about Qi. Thus, what was reported in the Bullshido above is off the point. it is not the Qi which blast. it is the body mechanics after lots and lots of training could be triggle by intention which makes this style extremely powerful with fast response time. practically every inch comes to contact can deriver.

3, There is no Qi blast power. But there is Yiquan six directional force vectors which is an extremely strong power generation and capable of very short range explosive power generation if one really have the training.

Basically, if one has never expose to these mechanics, with one's general concept or martial art background, one will not be able to concieve the posibility of such power and its mechanics.

Wang Xian-Zai the founder of Yiquan was a master of these mechanics which are kept secret of some ancient chinese martial art style. Why it is a secrete? it is a secrete because once one knows the key one's ability in that area will atleast double. and certainly how much power one could deliver after that is depend on one's training. however, knowing and not knowing the key makes heaven and hell different.

A simple example of this is : every one talk about Taijichuan : rooting ,using body mechanics....., everyone talk about fajin in taijichuan, and some can write books and books with their un ended imagination and fantasy. but how many really can fajin? not those explain and theory but real deal and crispy snap at anytime and any place as one likes it? Not many.

So why is that? IMHO, that is because all those root, using body mechanics.....talk are just talk. as soon as they doesnt know the real process. there is nothing they can do but talk. and then when they try to fajin, they just push and brute force, those are not the elegant jin.

Sifu Fung himself has the training, his sifu Han is a real deal. From the clip if one knows what to look knows what is sifu Fung doing.

however if sifu Fung reveal the training to his students that is his own right because they are his students.

If you want to visit sifu Fung asked him about the six directional forces. Dont ask him the stupid question of Qi blast. That way, at least he knows you are a real deal instead of some self rigtheous blindman which dont know what you are dealing with but with a big mouth.

As the art of War said, one needs to know one's opponent's weapon. and one will hide one's own strength. going to a Yiquan practitioner and asking Qi blast is inviting BS response instead of bottom line. If I were the person visit some Yiquan masters, my questions will be how strong have you attain your six directional force? could you please show me? if he is willing to show me, great. if he is not willing fine, for I need to respect others' will. why talk garbage? go for blood.

I always like Mas Oyama's Kyokushin philosophy, between two Bows of respect show the real things one can do. and dont talk BS after that.

just some thoughts.

Water-quan
03-26-2010, 01:56 AM
Well Ive not got limited yiquan experience, I've got extensive experience, and I say 'Master' Fung is a total fraud.

Part of the problem with yiquan, as with all Chinese martial arts, is things get exaggerated beyond all reason. Yiquan training is unusual in some respects - such as the standing posture and slow movement, but there are entirely physiological reasons for doing it... the thing is, the result is not amazing power beyond all imagining, just a fairly straight forwards development of power that comes from using your body better. There are plenty of other ways of developing power too.

What Master Fung does is just fraud, pure and simple. Yiquan especially has several components, and without, for example, those components that include serious combat training - sparring, wrestling, realistic/purposeful push hands - and indeed fitness and conditioning, the rest of it doesn't gel together to make anything much at all. If it did, yiquan guys wouldn't have been adding in stuff like boxing and running from the beginning.

Yiquan is nothing mystical at all - just straightforwards martial arts training. It requires tons of sparring, and real contact training, very much like MMA - it's just that it also includes zhan zhuang, shi li, mocabu, tui shou, to develop integrated body movement and improved motor control connection between brain and body. Unfortunately, like the poster above, most people have no idea of the reality of things like multi-directional force, and so the name itself causes them to think of it in over-blown terms, when the reality is something actually very simple, but the name itselfleads one to appoint over-blown expectations. A sure sign, however, of someone who knows zero about the realityof Yiquan is that they'll use yiquan theory to support the totally fraudulent BS of people like Fung.

Unfortunately, many people, like the poster above, are 'negative devotees' who pretend to be supporters of Yiquan whilst damging its reputation. It's an absoloute, unquestionable fact that people like Wang Xiang Zhai and Zhao Dao Xin, specifically, explicitly, not only repudiated, rejected and heavily criticised fraudulent 'masters' like Fung, but actually used to go to their classes and challenge them to prove their BS.

Water-quan
03-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Sifu Fung himself has the training, his sifu Han is a real deal. From the clip if one knows what to look knows what is sifu Fung doing.

It's just a fantasy that you live in. You need to go and read 'The Emperor's New CLothes' to understand just exactly how this con works. Yes, yes, you're special... only you can see the new clothes/what is really going on.

I live thousands of miles away from Fung, and all you you cult devotee frauds, on another continent - but you can be sure, If I ever get within 100 miles of you, I'll personally come round and debunk this, in the name of Yiquan itself.

Hendrik
03-26-2010, 09:52 AM
It's just a fantasy that you live in. You need to go and read 'The Emperor's New CLothes' to understand just exactly how this con works. Yes, yes, you're special... only you can see the new clothes/what is really going on.

I live thousands of miles away from Fung, and all you you cult devotee frauds, on another continent - but you can be sure, If I ever get within 100 miles of you, I'll personally come round and debunk this, in the name of Yiquan itself.

Ok,

You want to play expert. sure.

where is Sifu Fung's power generate from when he actually using it within the clip. and how is that link to the six directional force and how to do it?

I expect you to be able to answer that otherwise your speculation is nice but just speculation because you dont know.

Aslo, since you claim you have extended experience in Yiquan, where and who do you learn your Yiquan? and have you met sifu Fung?

one needs to be reasonable when posting a critics.

sanjuro_ronin
03-26-2010, 09:59 AM
I need more pictures of scantily clad ladies to make up for my looking at this site. Paul? Please deliver...

It's all about the chi !
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2224/2283771694_0d29350c24.jpg

Scott R. Brown
03-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Ok,

where is Sifu Fung's power generate from when he actually using it within the clip. and how is that link to the six directional force and how to do it?

I expect you to be able to answer that otherwise your speculation is nice but just speculation because you dont know.

Aslo, since you claim you have extended experience in Yiquan, where and who do you learn your Yiquan? and have you met sifu Fung?

Hendrik? Did you forget to take your "Don't Be Crazy" pills again!

All you do here is speculate about what you know nothing about!

I have a really really really good idea, since you fancy YOURSELF an expert on things you know nothing about.....

How about you go first and bless us with your insights and then let others insult you?

sanjuro_ronin
03-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Its all about the core !
http://imod.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/sexy-butt.jpg

taai gihk yahn
03-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Ok,

you honestly think he can really do that to people who don't allow him to, that his students aren't just entrained because they are invested in the belief that he can do it? the fact that he wouldn't do it to an "outsider" should tell you everything; the man is full of BS, it has nothing to do with whether it's "qi" or "six directions" or whatever - let him try that silliness on someone who isn't his student and you'll see exactly how ridiculous what he claims is;

if u think that stuf is for real, u ar as looney as a Canadian dollar...

taai gihk yahn
03-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Well Ive not got limited yiquan experience, I've got extensive experience, and I say 'Master' Fung is a total fraud.

Part of the problem with yiquan, as with all Chinese martial arts, is things get exaggerated beyond all reason. Yiquan training is unusual in some respects - such as the standing posture and slow movement, but there are entirely physiological reasons for doing it... the thing is, the result is not amazing power beyond all imagining, just a fairly straight forwards development of power that comes from using your body better. There are plenty of other ways of developing power too.

What Master Fung does is just fraud, pure and simple. Yiquan especially has several components, and without, for example, those components that include serious combat training - sparring, wrestling, realistic/purposeful push hands - and indeed fitness and conditioning, the rest of it doesn't gel together to make anything much at all. If it did, yiquan guys wouldn't have been adding in stuff like boxing and running from the beginning.

Yiquan is nothing mystical at all - just straightforwards martial arts training. It requires tons of sparring, and real contact training, very much like MMA - it's just that it also includes zhan zhuang, shi li, mocabu, tui shou, to develop integrated body movement and improved motor control connection between brain and body. Unfortunately, like the poster above, most people have no idea of the reality of things like multi-directional force, and so the name itself causes them to think of it in over-blown terms, when the reality is something actually very simple, but the name itselfleads one to appoint over-blown expectations. A sure sign, however, of someone who knows zero about the realityof Yiquan is that they'll use yiquan theory to support the totally fraudulent BS of people like Fung.

Unfortunately, many people, like the poster above, are 'negative devotees' who pretend to be supporters of Yiquan whilst damging its reputation. It's an absoloute, unquestionable fact that people like Wang Xiang Zhai and Zhao Dao Xin, specifically, explicitly, not only repudiated, rejected and heavily criticised fraudulent 'masters' like Fung, but actually used to go to their classes and challenge them to prove their BS.
QFT!!!

well-said, sir...

taai gihk yahn
03-26-2010, 02:20 PM
and here's a well-known reminder of what happens when fantasy meets reality... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I&feature=related)

chusauli
03-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the pics Paul. LOL!

Again, my assessment is he's got some real skills, but not showing it and his students are overexaggerating the power of his Fa Jin. Its all there - the sticking, the set up, but the absorption of power must go through his stance and then that is the origination of his Fa Jin, as should be.

He's not the phony people are shouting about, but his demo is not doing his art justice.

Hendrik
03-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Again, my assessment is he's got some real skills, but not showing it and his students are overexaggerating the power of his Fa Jin. Its all there - the sticking, the set up, but the absorption of power must go through his stance and then that is the origination of his Fa Jin, as should be.

He's not the phony people are shouting about, but his demo is not doing his art justice.

Robert,

I totally agree with you. I think martial arts group often turns into Cults.

As for how to seperate the art with the cult is a big issue. and the reason I bring up the Six directional force is it is clueless to go see a Yiquan master and ask him about Qi blast where WXZ himself intended to get rid or do away of the Chinese Qi blast fantasy in his era.

I think the clips are just promo or show business as most of the martial arts schoold done.
So, nothing to bad mouth about because that is the Entertainment side of the promotion.

bad mouthing others while one is doing or one's sifu is doing the same is just ridiculous.

As I post above, everyone talk fajin but can one do it or know the basic process. if not what to bad mouth others?

Just some thoughts

taai gihk yahn
03-26-2010, 04:00 PM
it's sorta like saying he takes his acupuncture needles out of the package, preps the skin with an alcohol pad, sets himself up to needle the point and then misses the patient entirely (or something like that ;) );

you don't think it's unethical that he's allowing his students to react the way they do? instead of teaching them to defend themselves, he'd feeding their delusionary projections;

just out of curiosity, did you ever do any pushing w/Sat when you studied w/him? just as a common reference, if so...

Scott R. Brown
03-26-2010, 05:11 PM
I think people are confusing Fa Jing with Fa King!

chusauli
03-27-2010, 09:42 AM
it's sorta like saying he takes his acupuncture needles out of the package, preps the skin with an alcohol pad, sets himself up to needle the point and then misses the patient entirely (or something like that ;) );

I have no explanation of why he's doing it like that...maybe too much Hollywood? Perhaps some of his mentors? Maybe its just a show for entertainment? A throwback to snake oil sales? Wang Xiang Zhai was not like that.

you don't think it's unethical that he's allowing his students to react the way they do? instead of teaching them to defend themselves, he'd feeding their delusionary projections;

I think its not proper to have his students react in that way. Its not honest. I am not defending him, I am just seeing it for what it is. I believe he has some skills, but this demo takes away from that.

just out of curiosity, did you ever do any pushing w/Sat when you studied w/him? just as a common reference, if so...

I never studied with Sat. I just met him when he gave a lecture. We never touched hands.

Hendrik
03-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Robert,

as you know this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx9iPFMriz0

Sorry I said, this is also just promo demo.

For those who Dont believe me, go use the same mechanics in the real life and see does it works or not at all.

For me, in the west,

Different people using different way of packaging for their own promotion.
Some using mysticism.
Some using religious.
Some using western acceptable philosophy.
Some using western accedptable art way.
Some using Big Name......etc

So, the follower think their sifu's way is the way, not to knowing what their sifu shows them are some basic internal art and lots of western acceptable packaging.

Based on everyone's like and dislike, one select a particular "cults." and think they got the truth. but non of these attain any advance level but just "pop Song".

All of us are guilty of these type of stuffs.

Thus, there is not much different between one cult to other cults. it is all sugar coating in the way one likes with not much content in general; Be it our's or others' cult. playing self-rigtheous based on our own cult is just only to show our own ignorance.

The following is the real deal as you know. it is a mainland China central TV program re-broacast of a true grandmaster who serve and influence both the people and upper level of Chinese gorvenment officials.

It is not western art like or western translation of eastern philosophical like of packaging but as it is.

Also, pay attention of how the Chinese place the important of Transmission and Attainment. Not just read some books and make lots of claim. one needs to know the details process and get the result.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/ygKyzYr_C98/

For those who have never see the real deal. Enjoy and hope you benifit.

Hendrik
04-01-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POfYfpQHR-M&feature=related

extrajoseph
04-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Have you ever play with one of these suspended steel balls pictured below? Huang's demonstration is a bit like this, he gets his students to push hard and stiff like a steel ball (look how straight and stiff are the arms and the legs of the students) and he can do anything with them, but against an expert, not a chance.