PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun vs Northern Shaolin - Contact fighting

Hardwork108
01-31-2010, 02:55 AM
Hey, I just found this clip form Brazil. It is incomplete but you don't have to stretch your imaginations too far to see some actual WC in a contact scenario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv2FULpeTto

Matrix
01-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Hey, I just found this clip form Brazil. It is incomplete but you don't have to stretch your imaginations too far to see some actual WC in a contact scenario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv2FULpeTtoSo, a physically larger person beats on a smaller man, and what does is this supposed to tell me?

I did like the kick at 0:47, but the rest was barbaric. :rolleyes:

YungChun
01-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Hi Bill..

Yeah me too..

I was away for quite a while and when I looked back in it seemed as though no time had past.

Just goes to show you...

And a year from now...? Same old.

Such is KF life here..

Helps me focus though.. :)

Matrix
01-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Hey Jim,
I think you're right. I was looking at "Where's the WCK" thread and thinking... Haven't I already read this stuff? I thought for a moment I was in WCK version of "Groundhog Day". ;)

YungChun
01-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Hey Jim,
I think you're right. I was looking at "Where's the WCK" thread and thinking... Haven't I already read this stuff? I thought for a moment I was in WCK version of "Groundhog Day". ;)

Yeah time compression.. Maybe we were abducted... :eek::cool:

I think I recall the same name used on another thread started over a year ago...

It's just that popular a topic... LOL

Nice to see you though..

Matrix
01-31-2010, 10:27 AM
I think I recall the same name used on another thread started over a year ago...

It's just that popular a topic... LOL

Nice to see you though.. Good to see you too. Let the fun and games continue.........

Hardwork108
01-31-2010, 12:48 PM
So, a physically larger person beats on a smaller man, and what does is this supposed to tell me?

I did like the kick at 0:47, but the rest was barbaric. :rolleyes:

As short as the clip was, I still managed to see a bit of WC principles and techniques in there.

The WC guy closed down his opponent very quickly, hit fast and hard and then took him down. The kick that you mentioned is also trained in WC.

I will also add that I have seen plenty of smaller guys beating up on bigger guys in MA competitions as well. IT is not always about size. IMHO, the WC guy would have done the same if they were both the same size or even perhaps if he was smaller than the other guy.

But hey, this is just a video clip that IMHO demonstrates, at least to me, some Wing Chun principles and techniques.

Matrix
01-31-2010, 03:02 PM
I will also add that I have seen plenty of smaller guys beating up on bigger guys in MA competitions as well. IT is not always about size. IMHO, the WC guy would have done the same if they were both the same size or even perhaps if he was smaller than the other guy.My point is that it is expected that a larger person can overpower a smaller one. If it had been the other way around, I might be more enthusiastic. It looked it bit manic to me, but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But hey, this is just a video clip that IMHO demonstrates, at least to me, some Wing Chun principles and techniques.The kick was the only thing I saw that I liked. The rest was just a big dude rushing in on a smaller/weaker dude. But that's what I see. You obviously see it differently, and I respect that.
Thanks for sharing the clip.

Bill

SAAMAG
02-01-2010, 12:56 AM
I had to watch it about 3 times to figure out any of that archaic mess but yea...the "wing chun guy" did use some wing chun principles.

He immediately closed the distance, but to be fair someone had to do it and its done in many matches style aside.

He did come out with a flurry of punches, though they weren't all in the vertical fist chain punching form, and again, its done in many matches and styles alike.

He had a decent takedown which I've never seen taught in wing chun persay, but it was a natural progression with the other guy doing what he was doing (or not doing rather).

The best part about it in my opinion was the stop kick at the "end".

Size does make a difference though, especially when the skill level is where it was.